Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Got a gut feeling it's going to be Falcons. Being from Pittsburgh, I obviously have no insight on the matter, just a gut feeling.

That said, with the Pirates playing at Cleveland last night, I had a brainstorm...

Why not "Spiders"? (The Indians original team nickname)

It's a name hardly used in sports. The University of Richmond (VA) is the only team in college or the pros that currently uses it. There was the old San Francisco Spiders in the IHL, they were the most recent pro iteration.

Why not...? Just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
name the team winnipeg jets, but use a new logo and jersey design.

you satisfy fans, and it wouldnt hurt your jersey sales. If the jersey design is ugly, at least the name is great.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
we26wc0gtiwtn00ec4c.gif

Home jersey looks like the Jamaican flag.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Jets, Falcons, I guess the NFL has all the cool names locked up:laugh:

oh look here's a logo
falcons.jpg

Oh the irony if the team is called the Falcons, don't you think it's bad enough we got the team?

Funny thing, Thrashers would be suitable for Winnipeg or am I thinking more Saskatchewan?

Last edited:

brent 44

Jul 11, 2010
I can't stand when teams have the same nick name as a team from another sport (Atlanta Falcons).

There's enough animals, modes of transportation and historical figures out there to have an original name.

To me having something unique is way better for marketing purposes.

KingJet*

I don't care about the name, I just want it to be Winnipeg __________ not Manitoba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I can't stand when teams have the same nick name as a team from another sport (Atlanta Falcons).

There's enough animals, modes of transportation and historical figures out there to have an original name.

To me having something unique is way better for marketing purposes.

You mean like the New York... er... Winnipeg Jets?

Back in the Bigs

and lovin' it !!
Oct 17, 2006
might be off the 'team name' topic, and might fit better in another thread, but this article in today's paper suggests that a number of people might have purchased tickets in the rush without considering all the financial implications of being able to actually pay for them......

hey, I admit I was one of those who thought Winnipeg would never be able to afford the NHL again.... boy, was I wrong!...
...but I got my P5's and I can't wait !!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/finance/net-costs-124123974.html

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
might be off the 'team name' topic, and might fit better in another thread, but this article in today's paper suggests that a number of people might have purchased tickets in the rush without considering all the financial implications of being able to actually pay for them......

hey, I admit I was one of those who thought Winnipeg would never be able to afford the NHL again.... boy, was I wrong!...
...but I got my P5's and I can't wait !!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/finance/net-costs-124123974.html

Oh yeah definitely. I think some people might be in for shock as to how much that monthly payment will take out of their lives. ;) I had to think hard about it. I basically went over what other entertainment expenses I would have to sacrifice. No more road trips to Minneapolis to watch the Vikings. Might have to nix a vacation flight in the odd year. That sort of thing. But I weighed it and thought it was worth it. I wanted hockey nights in Winnipeg, I wanted to be there, for years!

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
I love the red crest Jets logo. It gives you that "Canada's team" feel without treading on the Maple Leafs. I think it looks badass on that player.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't care about the name, I just want it to be Winnipeg __________ not Manitoba.

Well, I suspect you're going to be disappointed. The mayor of Winnipeg seemed pretty sure a couple of weeks ago on the FAN 590 that it was going to be Manitoba not Winnipeg.

And as I've mentioned before, I suspect that naming any pro teams that play out of MTS as Manitoba rather than Winnipeg may be a condition of the province's support for the arena.

Swifty57

Apr 10, 2010
At the rink
Yeah, I know. 13,000 tickets sell out for 3-5 years in 2 minutes, our gate revenue is estimated at being around the top 6th or 7th and the league, our owner is the 17th richest man in the world, and still...

It's not like I don't wish the team luck but this ( it better be Winnipeg) is really starting to get stupid.A little while ago everyone would have been happy just to have a team again,but now the good old Winnipeg is all there is in Manitoba attitude comes shining thru just like it's always been.:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad