Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Not sure if anybody has mentioned it already here, but I think it was during the 2nd period intermission of game 7 this week that one of the CBC analysts said that the unveiling of the naming and logo wasn't going to happen quite yet because they didn't want to have a lot of fake knock-off merchandise being sold. I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else though.

I don't think they actually have to get jerseys manufactured and ready for sale when the announcement is made (other than a few samples for the announcement, etc), but if they can at least make it possible for fans to order the new stuff right way and give a date for when it will be in stores, then any knockoffs won't get far.

I also think that unveiling the team name and logo at the draft would be a great idea at the draft itself. I think it will be Manitoba and I give Jets at no better than 50-50. Announcing the new name and logo by putting a new shirt on the first-round pick would be a terrific way to show that they are looking to the future, not reliving the past.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Not sure if anybody has mentioned it already here, but I think it was during the 2nd period intermission of game 7 this week that one of the CBC analysts said that the unveiling of the naming and logo wasn't going to happen quite yet because they didn't want to have a lot of fake knock-off merchandise being sold. I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else though.

I don't think they actually have to get jerseys manufactured and ready for sale when the announcement is made (other than a few samples for the announcement, etc), but if they can at least make it possible for fans to order the new stuff right way and give a date for when it will be in stores, then any knockoffs won't get far.

I also think that unveiling the team name and logo at the draft would be a great idea at the draft itself. I think it will be Manitoba and I give Jets at no better than 50-50. Announcing the new name and logo by putting a new shirt on the first-round pick would be a terrific way to show that they are looking to the future, not reliving the past.

Just one point: It's not about reliving the past, it's about continuing our history while not simply jettisoning (pun intended) it.

If True North cannot get past the continuity issue (although I don't agree with that stance), call them the Manitoba Jets then as a compromise.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Just one point: It's not about reliving the past, it's about continuing our history while not simply jettisoning (pun intended) it.

If True North cannot get past the continuity issue (although I don't agree with that stance), call them the Manitoba Jets then as a compromise.
I think Manitoba Jets is good compromise too. :nod:

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney
Pretty solid, but it's Dallas's exact color scheme.

What about NY Rangers & Montreal? Buffalo & Nashville are essentially the same too. It'd still work.

(BTW I'm quoting one person, but a few mentioned this). And I agree with Big McLargehuge that there should be less black & more green in this design).

Well, sure, putting the province name in front of any existing Canadian NHL team name like that isn't going to sound right.

In time it would sound fine. Just like we're all used to Colorado Avalanche & Carolina Hurricanes.

FWIW, I think Manitoba makes more sense than Carolina. There's no "Carolina" and it's more likely that someone from Flin Flon, MB would get behind Manitoba than someone from Columbia, SC would get behind the 'Canes (or any other pro team in the Research Triangle).

I'll leave the Florida Panthers aside, since it's wrong for a whole other reason, and so I doubt too many accept that name even now... :amazed:

Unlike "Carolina" and Florida, Manitoba has a very centralised population - and centralised in one place. So the name fits better than in many other cases (Florida, Texas Rangers, Golden State Warriors).

Besides, how many proud Winnipeggers aren't also proud Manitobans?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
In terms of the economic benefits of the recognition that the team would get, having the name as "Winnipeg" is crucial. The global economy is a battle among cities. Businesses move to Winnipeg, not "Manitoba". Winnipeg is already a somewhat familiar name to Americans and people outside North America -- "Manitoba" much less so (or at least it is known far more vaguely). Strictly from an economic development viewpoint, it would be better for the city and the province to use the thousands of daily media mentions that this will generate to build up the image of Winnipeg as a major-league city. I don't honestly think people outside Winnipeg feel left out by having the team called "Winnipeg" ... I think they recognize that Winnipeg functions as the flagship of the province and that, as compared to Saskatchewan or North Dakota, Manitoba is fortunate to have a large-ish, major-league city.

mikeysvette

Go Seadogs!
Mar 31, 2011
Saint John

Here's the link...Go to the 6min mark
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CB...ada/After_40_Minutes/1466961074/ID=2004793067

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll leave the Florida Panthers aside, since it's wrong for a whole other reason, and so I doubt too many accept that name even now... :amazed:

Why is it wrong? Because they aren't the only NHL team in the state?

That's not that unusual. The following teams have (or had) state names when they weren't the only team in the state (in their league):

California Angels (MLB)
California Golden Seals (NHL)
Florida Marlins (MLB)
Golden State Warriors (NBA)
Texas Rangers (MLB)

Also, there is a specific species of panther called the Florida panther so the name makes sense to me for that reason alone.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Winnipeg will be Canada's team for a few years. Then when the new feeling goes away, only Jets fans and maybe some Thrashers fans will care about them. When the Thrash moved, it was the biggest story in the country.

Just because it's a big story doesn't mean that people are going to care about the team. I followed the story but I have no real interest in the team (really is no different than the team being in Atlanta) and, in fact, would just as soon see fewer Canadian teams than more. So don't be so presumptuous as to assume that the NHL team based in Winnipeg (whatever it be called) is going to be Canada's team. Are a lot of Canadian hockey fans happy for Winnipeg getting a team again? Yes.

iggyfan98

Jun 16, 2011
British Columbia
Ok i have a good name
Winnipeg Relocation
or
Manitoba Killer Polar Bears
(Sarcasm):D
NO I want the Jets or Falcons any thhing else (like above) is Crazy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What about NY Rangers & Montreal? Buffalo & Nashville are essentially the same too. It'd still work.

(BTW I'm quoting one person, but a few mentioned this). And I agree with Big McLargehuge that there should be less black & more green in this design).

In time it would sound fine. Just like we're all used to Colorado Avalanche & Carolina Hurricanes.

FWIW, I think Manitoba makes more sense than Carolina. There's no "Carolina" and it's more likely that someone from Flin Flon, MB would get behind Manitoba than someone from Columbia, SC would get behind the 'Canes (or any other pro team in the Research Triangle).

Unlike "Carolina" and Florida, Manitoba has a very centralised population - and centralised in one place. So the name fits better than in many other cases (Florida, Texas Rangers, Golden State Warriors).

Besides, how many proud Winnipeggers aren't also proud Manitobans?

Lots of weirdness in this post. I lived in both NC and SC, each time over 3 hours from Raleigh. The people that were NHL hockey fans that lived there who were not transplants are Hurricanes fans. All of the transplants that I knew were fans of their teams first (Devils, Rangers, Bruins, Islanders, Sabres, Flyers, Penguins) and fans of the Hurricanes second. Most people that I know in the Carolinas consider both Carolinas to be in their home area. You also forget that regionalism is a huge deal in the SouthEast. One of the places I lived was in Charlotte, NC... yet there were no Thrashers fans there despite Atlanta being about the same driving distance as Raleigh. "That's Georgia and we don't root for Georgia." And you know what? The Carolina Panthers are an even better example of this kind of thing since football is more widespread. Most of my NCAA basketball friends in Charlotte are UNC fans. It's why the University of Tennessee, which plays in Knoxville, is the biggest sports story in Nashville, despite being 3 hours away. So you're entire premise about the Carolina name is wrong.

Also... the Rangers and Canadiens share the same 3 colors, but the color scheme is completely different. Ever notice how Canadiens road jerseys are red and the Rangers are blue? The order of the colors when people say them is different too. The dominant color comes last. The Sabres colors are blue and gold which are the colors of the NY state flag. The Predators have blue and yellow as well, but are entirely different shades compared to the Sabres, which are fairly pure.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Why is it wrong? Because they aren't the only NHL team in the state?

That's not that unusual. The following teams have (or had) state names when they weren't the only team in the state (in their league):

California Angels (MLB)
California Golden Seals (NHL)
Florida Marlins (MLB)
Golden State Warriors (NBA)
Texas Rangers (MLB)

Also, there is a specific species of panther called the Florida panther so the name makes sense to me for that reason alone.

Right, and in the case of the first two (plus the Panthers), part of the logic was that they were playing in relatively unknown cities and so they went with the state name to project a larger image. It might seem hard to believe, but there was a time when "Anaheim Angels" would have sounded utterly moronic.

The Marlins are changing their name next year to the Miami Marlins.

The Golden State Warriors are called that for multiple reasons... obviously because they moved to Oakland, but also because of an ill-conceived scheme to sell themselves as a home team for San Diego as well as the Bay Area.

The Texas Rangers name only makes sense if they use "Texas", plus they play in a suburb.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but how will the Winnipeg situation be handled at the draft next weekend assuming no name is in place? Will they just be Winnipeg/Manitoba or is the announcement this week?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Through business I employ the same law firm as TNSE.

I met with them this week ..........obviously they cannot go into details but simply said the name has been picked, announcement pending..........everything is on schedule.

whockey

May 12, 2010
player will get a jersey with nhl logo...name is scheduled to be released this week...its been changed a few times.
no jersey until late august. they want to avoid knock offs. reebok was in with designer last week.

TITAN126

u got a big dome, eh
Mar 19, 2011
player will get a jersey with nhl logo...name is scheduled to be released this week...its been changed a few times.
no jersey until late august. they want to avoid knock offs. reebok was in with designer last week.

Link?

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney
Lots of weirdness in this post. I lived in both NC and SC, each time over 3 hours from Raleigh. The people that were NHL hockey fans that lived there who were not transplants are Hurricanes fans.

Okay, fair point. I didn't know that people in SC and far flung parts of NC identify with the 'Canes.

My point is that Manitoba is no less valid than Carolina (and given that "Carolina" doesn't actually exist, it's more valid, if anything). I was responding to a comment "Manitoba" wouldn't be something we could get used to.

Also... the Rangers and Canadiens share the same 3 colors, but the color scheme is completely different. Ever notice how Canadiens road jerseys are red and the Rangers are blue? The order of the colors when people say them is different too. The dominant color comes last. The Sabres colors are blue and gold which are the colors of the NY state flag. The Predators have blue and yellow as well, but are entirely different shades compared to the Sabres, which are fairly pure.

Actually the Sabres and Preds both share very similar shades of blue & yellow - the main differences are the silver & white on the Preds and grey on the Sabres jerseys.

Again though, my point still stands. The black, yellow & green design shown might be similar to that of Dallas, but there are already precedents in terms of colour set (Ranges & Habs) and similar jersey colours (Preds & Sabres).

Last edited:

whockey

May 12, 2010
i was also surprised to hear that colors were wide open...as long as nothing too far out or something that resembled another jersey...but True North can pick colours, then league approves designs....i had thought they would have been assigned or some options presented by he league.

AugustBurnsRed*

i was also surprised to hear that colors were wide open...as long as nothing too far out or something that resembled another jersey...but True North can pick colours, then league approves designs....i had thought they would have been assigned or some options presented by he league.

Colours wide open?

This makes me think it's not Jets or Moose.

whockey

May 12, 2010
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but how will the Winnipeg situation be handled at the draft next weekend assuming no name is in place? Will they just be Winnipeg/Manitoba or is the announcement this week?

Colours wide open?

This makes me think it's not Jets or Moose.

ya no scoops on the name....very tight lipped on that. 99% sure its not jets...wasn"t going to be ...unless a change of heart.

mmajeski06

Mar 24, 2010
Cary, NC

Still don't see how they will avoid knockoffs. As soon as the design is released in august, the usual suspects in China will be running them off. Just the way it is I guess.

But thanks for the updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad