Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Oh god that's lame. There's nothing worse than cloning European sports team names in North America, let alone Soccer names. Gaah.

THIS. I hate almost 80% of all the names in the MLS for that very reason.

REAL SALT LAKE?!? I mean seriously?

Whitecaps >> Toronto FC and Montreal FC. Those last two names are hella-boring.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
How about Winnipeg HC? Or HC Winnipeg?

love it....its not a soccer tradition....hockey teams across the world use the title H.C....only in north america where we feel the need to associate sports teams with furry animals is that not the case.

as a matter of fact the very first hockey team in winnipeg was called winnipeg H.C.....they were the LA clippers to the Laker-ish Victoria's who won the stanley cup three times....they played inthe first game in western canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Hockey_Club

The Winnipeg Hockey Club were a former amateur senior-level men's amateur ice hockey team in Winnipeg, Manitoba founded in 1890.[1] They represented Canada at the 1932 Winter Olympics held at Lake Placid, New York. The team was undefeated throughout the Olympic tournament and were named the 1932 Olympic and world champions.[2] Prior to being named Team Canada, the Winnipegs won the 1931 Allan Cup.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
'Clubs' are teams that develop players from childhood and promote them all the way up. Aside from a few big name transfers, most players are home grown. Professional hockey just doesn't work that way so it would be silly to name a team that way.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I completely agree. North American teams that go the route of copying European tradition are just incredibly lame.

I'll take the Chicago Fire or the Houston Dynamo over FC Dallas or FC Toronto any day of the week.

And I remember when I first heard "Real Salt Lake," too. I literally laughed my butt off for a minute or two. I mean.... say what you want about FC Toronto.... but at least they're copying traditions that are the same language!

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com

I think Montreal is the Impact now, correct? Or at least will become the Impact when they join the MLS.

I'll take the Chicago Fire or the Houston Dynamo over FC Dallas or FC Toronto any day of the week.

The funny thing is, the Dynamo were literally 10 hours away from become the Houston 1836. Had a logo and everything.

6906.gif

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I completely agree. North American teams that go the route of copying European tradition are just incredibly lame.

And I remember when I first heard "Real Salt Lake," too. I literally laughed my butt off for a minute or two. I mean.... say what you want about FC Toronto.... but at least they're copying traditions that are the same language!
It's not FC Toronto.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Fine, Toronto FC, same points still stand. They're still just pointlessly copying a European sports tradition that no other North American league follows.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
The FC's and such in MLS never bothered me. Because, well, it's a soccer thing.

Heck, even the "real" name of the Pittsburgh Pirates is the Pittsburgh Baseball Club.

That said, it is so much more common -- and accepted -- for North American sports teams to have nicknames. Even if they were to be called the Winnipeg Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious, with a Mary Poppins logo, they would still have a mascot and nickname.

Even the above would be more accepted than HC Winnipeg.

Though... thinking about it, HC Winnipeg (or Winnipeg HC) would be a great way for TNSE to punt on the name. Fans would still call them the Jets, even if they weren't really named the Jets.

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind

Completely agreed. At least FC is english, but Real Salt Lake? Soooo stupid.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Real Salt Lake is stupid, but I find the idea that we need to artificially segregate European names from North American ones in a soccer league almost as laughable. I notice nobody has brought up the worst North American style names in MLS... Columbus Crew? SKC was called the Kansas City Wiz, FC Dallas used to be the Dallas Burn. I'll take a soccer name 100% of the time over some mid-90's BS.

This is just part of North America's cultural superiority complex.

BTW, the name of the team is Vancouver Whitecaps FC... OH NOES

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Real Salt Lake is stupid, but I find the idea that we need to artificially segregate European names from North American ones in a soccer league almost as laughable. I notice nobody has brought up the worst North American style names in MLS... Columbus Crew? SKC was called the Kansas City Wiz, FC Dallas used to be the Dallas Burn. I'll take a soccer name 100% of the time over some mid-90's BS.

This is just part of North America's cultural superiority complex.

BTW, the name of the team is Vancouver Whitecaps FC... OH NOES

Completely agree. I'd much rather see "HC" than than some completely ridiculous nickname.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
To Toronto:

Evander Kane

To Winnipeg:

'Maple Leafs' name

The Manitoba Maple Leafs ... *winky smilie face*

Fugu

We don't have a name for the team, but the Atlanta board is officially no more.

Therefore, the naming discussion for the as yet unnamed team in Winnipeg, Manitoba (to avoid confusion with other Wpg's) can now move to that board:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Thank you to all the Winnipeg supporters who stayed off that board until we renamed it.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad