Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Watching HNIC during Game 7, they mentioned Winnipeg might be officially "named" on Tuesday?

Then mentioned something about they didn't wanna mention the name till they had merchandise in place, as they didn't want any "knock offs" hitting the streets before they could get the official stuff in place

Does that suggest Winnipeg will be called the Jets?

I ask because how would you make knock offs if they were calling them something else with a previously unknown name/logo??

Be good if they were the jets i'd love a jets jersey

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Needing merchandise in place before announcing a name would imply that it would NOT be the Jets IMO.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I thought they announced that they were going to go with a generic-NHL-shield jersey for the Entry Draft, which seemed to imply no name by that point.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Well, since the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name, I am sure it is possible for them to sell it off to the new owners. I don't think they would use it though.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Needing merchandise in place before announcing a name would imply that it would NOT be the Jets IMO.
It could also imply it will be the Jets but with a new logo and possibly new color scheme. That might be the "best of both worlds" approach - the fans get the name but still have to buy new stuff.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Watching HNIC during Game 7, they mentioned Winnipeg might be officially "named" on Tuesday?

Then mentioned something about they didn't wanna mention the name till they had merchandise in place, as they didn't want any "knock offs" hitting the streets before they could get the official stuff in place

Does that suggest Winnipeg will be called the Jets?

I ask because how would you make knock offs if they were calling them something else with a previously unknown name/logo??

Be good if they were the jets i'd love a jets jersey

You could name the team the Winnipeg Career-Ending Knee Injuries, and people will rush out to buy anything with those words on it. I could go to the mall and have a hundred shirts made up - no logo, just those words - and sell them for $25 each. And people would buy them because TNSE hasn't released any merchandise yet, so people have no other option at this point.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
okay
the announcement could be tuesday afternoon (after the BoG meeting) or most likely wednesday sometime

True North has also said that they wont have a jersey for the draft.
I call b.s. on this but you never know

These guys have been organized from the very beinging... hard to beleive they wont have anything ready... i still say they will show a jersey at the draft

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I think they're trying to finalize details with these guys to use the logo and name.

folklorama_contest.jpeg

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
It could also imply it will be the Jets but with a new logo and possibly new color scheme. That might be the "best of both worlds" approach - the fans get the name but still have to buy new stuff.

I'd love to see this. The Winnipeg Jets, but with the Manitoba Moose colour scheme. The league needs more green!

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
From an inside "source" I have, he is convinced the team is going to still be called the Jets but with a new logo. He even showed me a picture of the alleged new logo and it looks fantastic. He said the team plans on releasing the jersey at the draft, with Cheveldayoff making the announcement.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
From an inside "source" I have, he is convinced the team is going to still be called the Jets but with a new logo. He even showed me a picture of the alleged new logo and it looks fantastic. He said the team plans on releasing the jersey at the draft, with Cheveldayoff making the announcement.

Does your 'source' have any knowledge on the Winnipeg versus Manitoba matter?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Dean Molberg of Calgary Fan 960 just tweeted this:

Disappointment setting in. Growing confident Winnipeg's team will be the Manitoba Falcons. Not terrible, but it's not the Jets. #gojetsgo

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be pissed if it is not the JETS (I was not born back then) but i want the JETS

This is how i see it....

Young people like you feel the need to call them the Jets because you never experienced them....

However people like me who are old enough to remember how terrible most of those Jets teams really were... That name is associated with failure....

I would rather them not be called the Jets... but at the end of the day it isnt my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->