Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Holy smoke that would be amazing. I've been saying it, copy Toronto's model of gathering great hockey minds. Many hands make light work.
I'm all for it, but Yzerman specifically addressed this at the presser, saying that most personnel won't jump ship for the same opportunity (meaning, without a promotion). So I wonder if Verbeek and/or Murray would be crossing over with a promotion, and what that means for existing staff in Detroit.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm all for it, but Yzerman specifically addressed this at the presser, saying that most personnel won't jump ship for the same opportunity (meaning, without a promotion). So I wonder if Verbeek and/or Murray would be crossing over with a promotion, and what that means for existing staff in Detroit.

well Verbeek is already the AGM over in Tampa right now(and director of player development on top of that which are positions that are currently filled by two separate people on the Wings)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Blashill is not a good coach, but we are rebuilding so it's whatever.
When Abby starts on Larkins wing next year and Bert is back to the 3rd line, will you think it's fun to watch Blashill still?
It's funny that you say this, because Abby didn't start on Larkin's wing, Helm did. When Helm went down, Abby got moved up. When Abby went down, the right man for the job was finally moved up in Bert. Abby isn't seeing the first line ever again. Dude sucks. After January 1 he averaged 13 mins a game.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
My post was referring to the people (including yourself) that think it's necessary for SY to trade those mentioned above because apparently they suck.

Really odd thing to believe

Did you actually understand my post?

I guess not then as I did not say they suck or were awful or even bad anywhere in my post.

Furthermore I didnt say he would trade everyone. I gave 3 or 4 names of which ONE I could see possibly being dealt and I believe two names of which ONE that could possibly be bought out.

I do think SY will start to make some personnel changes this summer, not wholesale nor drastic but yes he will in my opinion alter the roster different than what KH would have done this summer

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
It's funny that you say this, because Abby didn't start on Larkin's wing, Helm did. When Helm went down, Abby got moved up. When Abby went down, the right man for the job was finally moved up in Bert. Abby isn't seeing the first line ever again. Dude sucks. After January 1 he averaged 13 mins a game.

Helm, Abby, same difference really.
The point I was making is that Blashill is not a good coach.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
A good breakdown video of how Yzerman built the TB lightning.

Who else is extremely excited to see Stevie's touch on this group?!

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Don’t see any buyouts happening...especially for guys that have more than 1 year left
I would like to see him dump a few contracts to teams in cap hell for the same cap hits but better players with more term. Ex Ericsson or Daley for a better player...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Helm, Abby, same difference really.
The point I was making is that Blashill is not a good coach.
He put Glendening on the second line until he got injured, then had to move Helm up. So whether or not he's a good coach, he's figured out
Glenny>Helm>Abby
Helm didn't play on the first line to finish the season, I see no reason why even Blash would bump him up.

I would like to see him dump a few contracts to teams in cap hell for the same cap hits but better players with more term. Ex Ericsson or Daley for a better player...
Why? Both contracts expire next season, would be better to sign an UFA.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Ilitch is willing to burn money, and Yzerman doesn't plan on going big on UFA's, it would help the cause.

He already is on a couple LTIRetired players. Why not add a couple more to help the team going forward in the draft.

My dream would be somehow convince Edmonton to send Lucic and Bouchard over and buyout Lucic.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Ilitch is willing to burn money, and Yzerman doesn't plan on going big on UFA's, it would help the cause.
I wonder what the return would be taking a bad LTIR short contract? 2nd round pick? It's basically Illitch buying draft picks...

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Don’t see any buyouts happening...especially for guys that have more than 1 year left

I don't disagree with this at all. I can't see Stevie buying out Abby's contract, for instance... but Ericcsson is a possibility. However, he might just let Ericsson play out the remainder of his contract.

I don't see Yzerman making a huge move for the sake of making a huge move. If Abby goes anywhere, it'll be via waiver or finding a team that needs salary to get to the floor -- neither of which is likely, I feel. That contract is an albatross.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't disagree with this at all. I can't see Stevie buying out Abby's contract, for instance... but Ericcsson is a possibility. However, he might just let Ericsson play out the remainder of his contract.

I don't see Yzerman making a huge move for the sake of making a huge move. If Abby goes anywhere, it'll be via waiver or finding a team that needs salary to get to the floor -- neither of which is likely, I feel. That contract is an albatross.
No one takes Gators contract to get to the floor with that much term on it... unless we give up assets or put him on waivers he will be here collecting free money

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am not sure there have been many bad contracts for picks. Many have been prospect and bad contract packaged together. Someone can give a past five year history on it.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Buying out Abby now would extend the pain over 8 more years. Eat the money now and put him in GR if necessary.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He already is on a couple LTIRetired players. Why not add a couple more to help the team going forward in the draft.

My dream would be somehow convince Edmonton to send Lucic and Bouchard over and buyout Lucic.
Injured players are covered by insurance, up to 80% of salary. Hopefully Abby will figure out a way to LTIRetire.

Lucic has 4 years left, no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad