Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Green quits?
I think he means unable to play.... as in LTIRetire due to liver issues.

I also think Kronwall might come back if Green doesn't return, only because there's a hole that needs to be filled and it's hard to find an NHL level D-man that will sign for one year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think he means unable to play.... as in LTIRetire due to liver issues.

I also think Kronwall might come back if Green doesn't return, only because there's a hole that needs to be filled and it's hard to find an NHL level D-man that will sign for one year.

His contract expires at the end of next season and he's 33. There is no cap penalty if he had to hang'em up due to health reasons.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His contract expires at the end of next season and he's 33. There is no cap penalty if he had to hang'em up due to health reasons.
There is for next season, that's the season we're talking about. Green may not return for NEXT season if he doesn't recover from his liver issue. Keep in mind he missed half of last season.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Interview with Yzerman, he pretty much says that he and Holland are not that different.

I was stuck in the car driving up north to my GF's parents for Easter weekend and Valenti on 97.1 was the only type of coverage I had access to.

I love Valenti, but holy crap when he talks about the Red Wings it's downright awful...

Someone completely oblivious to the Red Wings listening to that coverage would've come away with the conclusion that Holland was some hand wringing madman that purposely and maliciously acted to sabotage the team.

He also continually and erroneously stated that the 1st rounder that became Vasilevsky was traded for Dan Cleary.

He then took Yzerman stating that he "didn't know all of the Red Wings players personally" as Yzerman didn't want to know the players personally, which would aid him in making those hard to make decisions (but totally unrelated to the Wings current state) like trading Drouin and St. Louis or buying out Lecavalier.

Before this Q and A session, Valenti talked about how he wanted to ask Yzerman the "hard questions" like how he he'd be different than Holland and alluded to getting to the bottom of some conspiracy with the Blashill extension. I laughed real hard when Yzerman basically said he's learned everything about being a GM from Holland and does just about everything like him. You could tell Valenti was peeved he didn't get some juicy dig on Holland.

Then when Kevin Weekes was on, you could tell Valenti was ticked when Weekes strayed from the desired narrative and talked about how the Holland led Red Wings "blueprint" is what led the Tallon/Bowman Blackhawks to success.

That show needs to stick to bashing anything and everything the Lions do, and just forget about Hockey. Actually, the only people that should talk about the Wings on 97/1 in anything other than news is Ken Kal and Paul Woods...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was stuck in the car driving up north to my GF's parents for Easter weekend and Valenti on 97.1 was the only type of coverage I had access to.

I love Valenti, but holy crap when he talks about the Red Wings it's downright awful...

Someone completely oblivious to the Red Wings listening to that coverage would've come away with the conclusion that Holland was some hand wringing madman that purposely and maliciously acted to sabotage the team.

He also continually and erroneously stated that the 1st rounder that became Vasilevsky was traded for Dan Cleary.

He then took Yzerman stating that he "didn't know all of the Red Wings players personally" as Yzerman didn't want to know the players personally, which would aid him in making those hard to make decisions (but totally unrelated to the Wings current state) like trading Drouin and St. Louis or buying out Lecavalier.

Before this Q and A session, Valenti talked about how he wanted to ask Yzerman the "hard questions" like how he he'd be different than Holland and alluded to getting to the bottom of some conspiracy with the Blashill extension. I laughed real hard when Yzerman basically said he's learned everything about being a GM from Holland and does just about everything like him. You could tell Valenti was peeved he didn't get some juicy dig on Holland.

Then when Kevin Weekes was on, you could tell Valenti was ticked when Weekes strayed from the desired narrative and talked about how the Holland led Red Wings "blueprint" is what led the Tallon/Bowman Blackhawks to success.

That show needs to stick to bashing anything and everything the Lions do, and just forget about Hockey. Actually, the only people that should talk about the Wings on 97/1 in anything other than news is Ken Kal and Paul Woods...

I mean I hate to say this, but several of us have been pointing out this exact stuff for years.

I was fine with this change to be clear, but this isn't just lip service by Yzerman. He has said it for the last 8+ years in Tampa in terms of he runs his teams in a very similar fashion to Holland and thinks it is the right way and respects him probably more than anyone else in the game.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I didnt listen live, I only heard what was put up in podcast form. I can easily see everything you said being true. I love Velenti's show, but when his narrative is not being followed, especially by people that know what they are talking about, you can tell he wants to explode lol. In this case, his narrative was that Yzerman was a savior, and Holland was an old washed up GM that has let the game pass him by.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

I'm always a little annoyed we get close to ZERO hockey coverage. I mean, besides a score update, you literally cannot hear any NHL or playoff talk on Detroit radio. The last I really heard an actual daytime segment was the Howard signing or when they won like 21 home games or whatever it was. Nothing interesting, insightful, researched, knowledgeable.

So, I'm annoyed until I actually hear them try to talk hockey, then I appreciate them just talking about the dumb Lions in the middle of the summer and change the station.

Hey hey Hockey.... town.... blheasdfhdfh... meh.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I mean I hate to say this, but several of us have been pointing out this exact stuff for years.

I was fine with this change to be clear, but this isn't just lip service by Yzerman. He has said it for the last 8+ years in Tampa in terms of he runs his teams in a very similar fashion to Holland and thinks it is the right way and respects him probably more than anyone else in the game.

There's stark differences in how Holland rebuilds vs. how Yzerman does though. Holland is very passive and is more of a Ron Hextall type who will definitely set a team up for success, but it takes more patience than is probably necessary. Yzerman has definitely been more aggressive and I feel like he'll be even more aggressive here. For example, I don't think Holland wouldn't traded Drouin had he been in a similar situation, but that's obviously not fair since Holland hasn't been in that situation.

Reactions: dj4aces

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There's stark differences in how Holland rebuilds vs. how Yzerman does though. Holland is very passive and is more of a Ron Hextall type who will definitely set a team up for success, but it takes more patience than is probably necessary. Yzerman has definitely been more aggressive and I feel like he'll be even more aggressive here. For example, I don't think Holland wouldn't traded Drouin had he been in a similar situation, but that's obviously not fair since Holland hasn't been in that situation.

I don't think Holland would have drafted him since I heard we had Seth Jones at #2 on our board and Drouin outside of our top 3 which was the right call so there is that...

I know Bowman gets a lot of credit for it, but also endorsing Shanahan for Primeau and Coffey is fairly aggressive, it ultimately led to him being the outright GM. Again it cannot be overstated how devastating the attempt to trade Yzerman to build around Primeau and Fedorov really was to ultimate say in the three headed setup. Holland wasn't elevated in 98 because he was giving the bad advice, it was because he was a phenomenal scout that kept giving the best advice in the three headed setup.

It is what it is. We shall see, I think Stevie is a little better at dumping contracts and I am hopeful that he can. Holland was stockpiling assets because that is where we needed to be. There is a reason his message after the deadline was alright we need to start moving on from this phase. Heck it might be why as a life long Wing he did step aside, but in my opinion you were looking at the last few months of quiet if Stevie said thanks but no thanks, that is where we are in the rebuild in the next 12 months. It is time for more steps forward and more aggression.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think Holland would have drafted him since I heard we had Seth Jones at #2 on our board and Drouin outside of our top 3 which was the right call so there is that...

I know Bowman gets a lot of credit for it, but also endorsing Shanahan for Primeau and Coffey is fairly aggressive, it ultimately led to him being the outright GM.

It is what it is. We shall see, I think Stevie is a little better at dumping contracts and I am hopeful that he can. Holland was stockpiling assets because that is where we needed to be. There is a reason his message after the deadline was alright we need to start moving on from this phase. Heck it might be why as a life long Wing he did step aside, but in my opinion you were looking at the last few months of quiet if Stevie said thanks but no thanks, that is where we are in the rebuild in the next 12 months. It is time for more steps forward and more aggression.

I just think there's many examples of Holland's loyalty being detrimental, I don't believe we've seen that from Yzerman.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Tough to be loyal on Yzerman's case, when he didn't win anything with the group at Tampa.

Holland showed a lot of loyalty to marginal players who didn't help this team win anything too, so not sure what your point is. Yzerman made really tough decisions in Tampa, I think Holland was comfortable not having to make tough decisions this past decade.

Holland did some great things lately to start the rebuild, but management knew he wasn't the right GM to get us back to where we needed to be.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm always a little annoyed we get close to ZERO hockey coverage. I mean, besides a score update, you literally cannot hear any NHL or playoff talk on Detroit radio. The last I really heard an actual daytime segment was the Howard signing or when they won like 21 home games or whatever it was. Nothing interesting, insightful, researched, knowledgeable.

So, I'm annoyed until I actually hear them try to talk hockey, then I appreciate them just talking about the dumb Lions in the middle of the summer and change the station.

Hey hey Hockey.... town.... blheasdfhdfh... meh.

You should get The Athletic or listen Craig Custance's podcast. All the smart or anyhow intelligent talk is nowadays behind a paywall.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tough to be loyal on Yzerman's case, when he didn't win anything with the group at Tampa.
President's Trophy and an EC championship. Sure it's not the Cup, but I wouldn't call it nothing. Besides it's better than anything we've had in close to a decade.

I'd settle for watchable hockey, I'm starting to get desperate.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Holland showed a lot of loyalty to marginal players who didn't help this team win anything too, so not sure what your point is. Yzerman made really tough decisions in Tampa, I think Holland was comfortable not having to make tough decisions this past decade.

Holland did some great things lately to start the rebuild, but management knew he wasn't the right GM to get us back to where we needed to be.

Honestly, I feel like it's easier to make tough decisions/trade players when you HAVE to, TB was always seemingly up against the cap because they had/have so many good young players.

If we're being honest, the Wings drafting was so poor for a large period of time so they didn't really have any young stars to pay. It's easier to justify paying Darren Helm or whatever when you don't have anyone else to spend that money on and don't need that cap space to re-sign someone. Not saying it was the right decision, but if Holland had Brayden Point or a Kucherov like upcoming payday he needed to plan for he probably lets players like Abdelkader or Helm walk...but he didn't. Again, not absolving him of blame, just pointing out that there was no one else to spend that money on that forced him to let those players walk.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Then you simply don't spend to the cap, and continue to explore other avenues. I much sooner would have taken another team's cap dump stapled to a draft pick, instead of giving role players the golden parachute treatment.

Reactions: dj4aces

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Honestly, I feel like it's easier to make tough decisions/trade players when you HAVE to, TB was always seemingly up against the cap because they had/have so many good young players.

If we're being honest, the Wings drafting was so poor for a large period of time so they didn't really have any young stars to pay. It's easier to justify paying Darren Helm or whatever when you don't have anyone else to spend that money on and don't need that cap space to re-sign someone. Not saying it was the right decision, but if Holland had Brayden Point or a Kucherov like upcoming payday he needed to plan for he probably lets players like Abdelkader or Helm walk...but he didn't. Again, not absolving him of blame, just pointing out that there was no one else to spend that money on that forced him to let those players walk.

I dunno dude, not to dredge up a horse that's beaten to death, but Holland chose his role players over a star back in '09.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I dunno dude, not to dredge up a horse that's beaten to death, but Holland chose his role players over a star back in '09.

I assume you're talking about Hossa, but who were the role players he signed instead?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hudler, Filppula and Cleary.

Hudler did not sign a deal the offseason Hossa walked. Filppula was going into year 2 of a 5 year deal for 3M/year. Cleary was going into year 2 of a 5 year deal for 2.8M/year.

So he didn't sign any of those that offseason instead of Hossa. Hudler didn't sign, and Filppula and Cleary were already under contract from previously signed deals (signed well prior to the offseason that Hossa left).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad