Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No one in their right mind buys out guys with one year left on their contracts like Ericcson and Daley. It makes zero sense. If you'll recall, Yzerman was in hot pursuit of DDK but lost out to the Wings. Since there aren't a plethora of talented young D in the system, they aren't keeping anyone from moving up who is ready. Buying out Abdelkader would be a huge financial hit and probably not much they can do other than hope he was injured and get get some semblance of his game back. The only D that has any value whatsoever is Mike Green. But even that is questionable with his recent health problems. Frans Nielsen at 35 signed through 2022 for 6 million a year is worth absolutely nothing on the trade market.

If Mantha is worth a first, he's not worth trading. There really are no other assets the Wings have to get any substantial draft picks for. You draft to get 30 goal scorers like AA.

I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but people need to pump the breaks a bit.

It makes sense if you need to open a roster spot up for younger players.

Reactions: Heaton

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I highly doubt. He said how Blush were good with kids and how he was good at GR

Peoples hate for Blashill will never cease to amaze me. I don’t know what people’s expectations were for these past few years but I think he has done a good job with what he has had to work with. This was really the first year in which a lot of the lids were ready to play and had that opportunity. You’ll see that trend continue into next year. It will be fun to watch Bashill continue to work with them.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Peoples hate for Blashill will never cease to amaze me. I don’t know what people’s expectations were for these past few years but I think he has done a good job with what he has had to work with. This was really the first year in which a lot of the lids were ready to play and had that opportunity. You’ll see that trend continue into next year. It will be fun to watch Bashill continue to work with them.

Blashill is not a good coach, but we are rebuilding so it's whatever.
When Abby starts on Larkins wing next year and Bert is back to the 3rd line, will you think it's fun to watch Blashill still?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Way too early to declare Rasmussen a bust. He has played one season, a season which he will also injured in and he was/is only 19.
Exactly.

A season where if not for stupid transfer rules he would've been in the AHL.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Anybody else expect Holland to depart the same way Yzerman arrived?

He steps into a more advisory role, but once the dust settles, it doesn't take long before he gets the itch to manage again, and after the first year, timing works out for another good opportunity.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

He steps into a more advisory role, but once the dust settles, it doesn't take long before he gets the itch to manage again, and after the first year, timing works out for another good opportunity.
He wouldn't have signed a multi-year extension if he had thoughts to manage again. He could have just waited his contract out, like Yzerman did and walk next summer.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017

Anything is possible, but at 63 years old, I'd be looking at a sweet retirement spending time relaxing with the grandkids and 4 Stanley Cup rings in my pocket. He has nothing left to prove.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anything is possible, but at 63 years old, I'd be looking at a sweet retirement spending time relaxing with the grandkids and 4 Stanley Cup rings in my pocket. He has nothing left to prove.

You'd think so, but these guys have a harder time hanging it up than most. Scotty Bowman "retired" in 2002, but he's 85 today and still has a job helping his son with the Blackhawks. Bowman still chasing that elusive 15th Stanley Cup.

Reactions: jkutswings

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
When Abby starts on Larkins wing next year and Bert is back to the 3rd line, will you think it's fun to watch Blashill still?

So when Abby isn’t on the 1st line you will say it is fun to watch Blashill? I don’t know how you can say he is a bad coach on a team that is rebuilding, but alright.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
You'd think so, but these guys have a harder time hanging it up than most. Scotty Bowman "retired" in 2002, but he's 85 today and still has a job helping his son with the Blackhawks. Bowman still chasing that elusive 15th Stanley Cup.
I think it's more of a "job" than a job, but point taken.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
He wouldn't have signed a multi-year extension if he had thoughts to manage again. He could have just waited his contract out, like Yzerman did and walk next summer.
I would be shocked if there weren't an escape clause for him to accept a GM job.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
So when Abby isn’t on the 1st line you will say it is fun to watch Blashill? I don’t know how you can say he is a bad coach on a team that is rebuilding, but alright.

I think his player management is bad. (player deployment, ice time, usage)
I think his tactics and strategies are poor.(special teams, breakouts, cycle)

If Abby's not on the first line will I say it's fun to watch Blashill? No, I never claimed it would be fun to watch his system, you did.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

He had to sign a new contract seeing as how he isn't GM anymore. And signing a 1year deal didnt fit with the transition narrative they have laid out.

I don't think Holland knows what he wants to do yet....
He even said himself that he's entering uncharted territory for him. He alluded to the fact that he still feels he can and has the desire to GM, but he's stepping aside for what he thinks is the best path forward with SY as GM. He basically said he's gonna have to see how not being a GM agrees with him. If he's OK in his new role I expect him to stay in Detroit. If he gets the itch to GM again, he's probably throwing his hat into the ring for the Seattle job.

I personally hopes he stays in Detroit. SY and Holland would make quite the team to manage this club going forward. Both guys would be fully capable of doing any aspect of the job and could really make for a dynamic duo.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think it's more of a "job" than a job, but point taken.

I hear ya. Don't be surprised if Holland is hanging around hockey another 20 years, though. I don't get it, either. If I was over 60 and had Holland's resume and wealth, I wouldn't give a shit what happened to any hockey team anymore. I'd be in my lake house building canoes and perfecting a home brew. Take some time out to visit Brent Burns' ranch here and there.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Just came across this being posted on Tampa's forum. Idk if this source is legit or not
But it doesn’t look like Stevie is the only one who is coming back to Detroit!
According to multiple reports, former Detroit Red Wings forward Pat Verbeek is allegedly going to be coming back to Detroit along with Yzerman.
It has also been speculated that Al Murray, who just completed his ninth season with Tampa Bay as director of amateur scouting, could potentially accompany Yzerman to Detroit. Murray was responsible for drafting Nikita Kucherov (128 points this season), Brayden Point (92 points), and goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy.
Murray also worked with the Los Angeles Kings and drafted stars such as Jonathan Quick (2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner) and Anže Kopitar.
Link

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I hear ya. Don't be surprised if Holland is hanging around hockey another 20 years, though. I don't get it, either. If I was over 60 and had Holland's resume and wealth, I wouldn't give a **** what happened to any hockey team anymore. I'd be in my lake house building canoes and perfecting a home brew. Take some time out to visit Brent Burns' ranch here and there.
Think of it this way. Some pro athletes are wired to compete well past the point of long term damage from literally getting their heads bashed in. Now imagine somebody that obsessed with their line of work, but remove the potential for physical injury.

It's sad to think about, but I'm kinda surprised there isn't an occasional coach or other front office person who dies on the job. Hopefully everybody in the Detroit organization is grounded enough to do a great job while keeping things in perspective.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What are you saying?

That someone here phoned him up and begged him to trade one of those guys and he said, oh alright fine?

Really odd thing to say
My post was referring to the people (including yourself) that think it's necessary for SY to trade those mentioned above because apparently they suck.

Really odd thing to believe

Did you actually understand my post?

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI

He may not be a good coach, but the above simply does not happen. Bert has established himself wayyyyy more than Abs. Yzerman may clean house and this roster outside 2-4 players is trade bait. So ready to see what he does to this roster and to some it may be a yuuuuuuuuuge shocker. LGRW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad