Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought Stevie and Sergei were not exactly close during their playing days!
If I remember correctly, Fedorov had just become GM at CSKA Moscow when Kucherov played there. He worked with Yzerman to help Kucherov with a shoulder injury and to bring him over to the NHL. So they certainly have a professional relationship. If you want to establish a Russian pipeline you could probably do worse than Fedorov. These are two guys who were directly tied to drafting Kucherov and successfully bringing him over to the NHL where he's become a dominant player.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yzerman isn’t going to make a coaching change right now, so of course he’ll say the right things. I don’t think he’ll make any management/scouting changes until next offseason.

In his press conference he spoke about this and said, and I'm paraphrasing; ( It's hard to get guys to move from one organization to take the same job at another organization. Usually someone moves if they get a bigger role or better job within the organization.)

So, yeah, Who know's if he'll make a move's right away. It's important to note that Pat Verbeek contract is up with the Lighting...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah He just scrambled lines for two years when basically everyone and there mother knew these three guys should of been line 1 for awhile now.

Preach on fellas, how you're all so smart and anyone who disagrees is simple with no facts.

* My basic issue with Blashill has been his line combinations. He only played good lines this year from March on. Everything else was wish-wash, Grinders in top six roles, Abdelkader getting high minutes... Idk, all legit complaints to me.

I mostly just wanted a look at the available coaches too this offseason, but if Yzerman sign's off on it, I sign off. Why, not because I think Blashill is great but because I can understand Yzerman at least wants a look at everyone, coaches too for a year. I think this is Blashill's make or break season honeslty. If young players and the team improve I could see another 2-4 year extension for him. If they muddle along and come in the top 5 position again... I can see a shake up. I like the position Yzerman kind of has put him in, regardless of perception from either side of the fence, results for this up coming season will be the proof in the pudding for Blashill.
I'd really like to bring in Gerard Gallant in a few years when we are good again. No need right now as he's having great success in Vegas and we will be bad for another 2- 3 years. It would be great if we could get him to coach the Wings when the roster is rebuilt.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah He just scrambled lines for two years when basically everyone and there mother knew these three guys should of been line 1 for awhile now.

Preach on fellas, how you're all so smart and anyone who disagrees is simple with no facts.

* My basic issue with Blashill has been his line combinations. He only played good lines this year from March on. Everything else was wish-wash, Grinders in top six roles, Abdelkader getting high minutes... Idk, all legit complaints to me.

I mostly just wanted a look at the available coaches too this offseason, but if Yzerman sign's off on it, I sign off. Why, not because I think Blashill is great but because I can understand Yzerman at least wants a look at everyone, coaches too for a year. I think this is Blashill's make or break season honeslty. If young players and the team improve I could see another 2-4 year extension for him. If they muddle along and come in the top 5 position again... I can see a shake up. I like the position Yzerman kind of has put him in, regardless of perception from either side of the fence, results for this up coming season will be the proof in the pudding for Blashill.

Not at all what I was doing, but okay.

I was just saying that even if every bit of evidence points one way, there will be someone who will fight to the death on the other side of that argument. I am sure there was someone who loved them some Danny Cleary and wondered why everyone gave the Wings so much crap for signing him.

I’m guilty of it with AA. He’s clearly taken a huge step forward and is likely to be a huge part of the future and I’m still holding back praise for longer than I should because I still think it’s a little bit of a fluke and want to see him continue to grow.

It isn’t that anyone that disagrees with me is wrong and simple. There are just dead set opinions like the Wings irreversibly ****ed up by taking Rasmussen over Vilardi when Vilardi has been a tangle of injuries and will likely never be the same player.

Reactions: Snuggs and Fynn

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not gonna dig through my old posts, but this is honestly exactly what I was hoping for. Yzerman as the guy in charge with Holland there to advise. I think Yzerman is an upgrade to Holland in terms of contracts and especially as a triggerman, but as of today there's possibly no better advisor in the league. And it's clear Yzerman respects the man and his opinion very much. Both in their ideal roles, just like with Team Canada.
All I'm hoping for is Yzerman to not be so loose with the contracts in regards to term,money, Ntc and NMC to mediocre replaceable players. We need someone to objectively look at the roster and not just "keep the band together" just because we drafted them.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not at all what I was doing, but okay.

I was just saying that even if every bit of evidence points one way, there will be someone who will fight to the death on the other side of that argument. I am sure there was someone who loved them some Danny Cleary and wondered why everyone gave the Wings so much crap for signing him.

I’m guilty of it with AA. He’s clearly taken a huge step forward and is likely to be a huge part of the future and I’m still holding back praise for longer than I should because I still think it’s a little bit of a fluke and want to see him continue to grow.

It isn’t that anyone that disagrees with me is wrong and simple. There are just dead set opinions like the Wings irreversibly ****ed up by taking Rasmussen over Vilardi when Vilardi has been a tangle of injuries and will likely never be the same player.
Unreal :laugh::help:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah I think Athanasiou is much more likely to be traded than Mantha. I don’t see Yzerman going through a contentious negotiation with AA.

I don’t even think it’s a negotiation discussion. I think AA has a blend of things that favor him as a trade candidate. His flexibility as a center or a winger, his speed is a legitimate skill people could trade for, he is coming off his strongest season to date.

Reactions: DInTheB

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don’t even think it’s a negotiation discussion. I think AA has a blend of things that favor him as a trade candidate. His flexibility as a center or a winger, his speed is a legitimate skill people could trade for, he is coming off his strongest season to date.
Mantha is one dimensional and is largely a passenger. He benefited greatly from playing on Larkin's line and with those elevated goal totals you may be able to get good value for him in a trade. I really liked using Athanasiou as a center and would experiment with that further. Rasmussen is looking like a bust and even if he can eke out an NHL career it ain't as a center. So Larkin, Athanasiou and Veleno would give you great speed at your top three center positions.

I'm fine with trading Athanasiou, I've just been very vocal about how much I want to trade Mantha while he still has good trade value.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Mantha is one dimensional and is largely a passenger. He benefited greatly from playing on Larkin's line and with those elevated goal totals you may be able to get good value for him in a trade. I really liked using Athanasiou as a center and would experiment with that further. Rasmussen is looking like a bust and even if he can eke out an NHL career it ain't as a center. So Larkin, Athanasiou and Veleno would give you great speed at your top three center positions.

I'm fine with trading Athanasiou, I've just been very vocal about how much I want to trade Mantha while he still has good trade value.
I would trade Rasmussen asap. If we can get a first round pick for him I would immediately do that.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Mantha’s value is still not as high as I would expect it will be, and I think Athanasiou’s value isn’t going to grow much more.

Reactions: DInTheB

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
I would trade Rasmussen asap. If we can get a first round pick for him I would immediately do that.
LOL, so you think a guy who just turned 20 a few days ago is a bust, but the people that actually evaluate hockey talent for a living are going to cough up a first rounder for him. :thumbu::huh:

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
LOL, so you think a guy who just turned 20 a few days ago is a bust, but the people that actually evaluate hockey talent for a living are going to cough up a first rounder for him. :thumbu::huh:
Do you think Ras is a bust? No, right? But I do. So would you give up a first round for him? Probably,right? You just answered your own question. Last I checked teams don't make trades with themselves....:thumbu::huh:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

Every coach does that stuff though. Babcock sure did and look around the boards, you'll be hard pressed to find a single fanbase who doesn't think the exact same thing about their coach.

Reactions: Oddbob

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Congrats guys. This is bad news for the rest of the teams in the Atlantic.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
I expect some changes starting this summer.

Some in the scouting dept

I could see us move up to add another 1st rd pick

And I think either a buyout or a trade happens.

Daley and Ericsson are buyout options

Nielsen, Dekeyser, Mantha are trade options
No one in their right mind buys out guys with one year left on their contracts like Ericcson and Daley. It makes zero sense. If you'll recall, Yzerman was in hot pursuit of DDK but lost out to the Wings. Since there aren't a plethora of talented young D in the system, they aren't keeping anyone from moving up who is ready. Buying out Abdelkader would be a huge financial hit and probably not much they can do other than hope he was injured and get get some semblance of his game back. The only D that has any value whatsoever is Mike Green. But even that is questionable with his recent health problems. Frans Nielsen at 35 signed through 2022 for 6 million a year is worth absolutely nothing on the trade market.

If Mantha is worth a first, he's not worth trading. There really are no other assets the Wings have to get any substantial draft picks for. You draft to get 30 goal scorers like AA.

I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but people need to pump the breaks a bit.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Do you think Ras is a bust? No, right? But I do. So would you give up a first round for him? Probably,right? You just answered your own question. Last I checked teams don't make trades with themselves....:thumbu::huh:
Anyone declaring with such absolute certainty that he is or is not a bust at this point is either full of themselves or trying to stir up shit.
How many times do scouts, coaches or player developers have to preach patience before people stop with the hair-triggers declarations?

Reactions: Fynn

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
That made no sense whatsoever. I have no idea if Ras is a bust or not. Usually, players aren't deemed busts at 19 years old, especially guys who are 6'6" If a guy is considered to be a total bust at 19, it is not likely that other teams are also not going to realize that and aren't going to give up a high draft pick.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yzerman isn't going to trade neither AA or Mantha just to appeal to you guys, lol. Both had strong finishes and are still growing - he said that they're both building blocks and part of the core. Still baffles me how much hate Mantha gets. I'm not even going to start with Ras.

Of course he'll trade them if a stellar package comes ringing, but I think he'll evaluate the players himself

Last edited:
Reactions: Fynn

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Way too early to declare Rasmussen a bust. He has played one season, a season which he will also injured in and he was/is only 19.

Reactions: Snuggs and Fynn

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yzerman isn't going to trade neither AA or Mantha just to appeal to you guys, lol. Both had strong finishes and are still growing - he said that they're both building blocks and part of the core. Still baffles me how hate Mantha gets. I'm not even going to start with Ras.

Of course he'll trade them if a stellar package comes ringing, but I think he'll evaluate the players himself

What are you saying?

That someone here phoned him up and begged him to trade one of those guys and he said, oh alright fine?

Really odd thing to say

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Way too early to declare Rasmussen a bust. He has played one season, a season which he will also injured in and he was/is only 19.

Way early, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the AHL next year and then back in the NHL the following season.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That made no sense whatsoever. I have no idea if Ras is a bust or not. Usually, players aren't deemed busts at 19 years old, especially guys who are 6'6" If a guy is considered to be a total bust at 19, it is not likely that other teams are also not going to realize that and aren't going to give up a high draft pick.
Everyone assessments of players are different. My feeling on him is if another team likes him enough to give us a first round pick I would prefer that over him. He is a luxury prospect at this point I would draft the BPA D prospect in his place with the pick I would acquire in exchange.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
What are you saying?

That someone here phoned him up and begged him to trade one of those guys and he said, oh alright fine?

Really odd thing to say
No, I think he's saying if the new Tampa GM says I'll give you Kucherov and Hedman for AA and Mantha, Yzerman might say yes. Obviously an over exaggeration, but point being, if he was offered up a premium prospect on D or at G or a top 5 pick, he'd consider it. If it's for a second rounder or a mid level prospect, he'd pass on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->