Confirmed with Link: Wings claim Christian Djoos from ANA

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Cholowski.

His weaknesses are apparent. You don't need to butcher a bunch of small samples sizes of data, advanced or otherwise. The guy is incapable of playing at an NHL intensity level. His compete is poor. He is as strong as a noodle, and not an al dente one. He provides near zero offense at 5v5 and can't play defense. He's damn near useless. His attractive attributes are being a good skater, a potential PP QB, and a PMD at ES. Unfortunately for Cholowski, there are a bevy of NHL defensemen who can be sufficient PMD. And plenty who can skate. And so his value lies, at this point, exclusively as a PP QB. Problem is, he sucks in almost every facet of being an NHL defenseman, and his potential as a PP QB is not enough to overcome that.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cholowski.

His weaknesses are apparent. You don't need to butcher a bunch of small samples sizes of data, advanced or otherwise. The guy is incapable of playing at an NHL intensity level. His compete is poor. He is as strong as a noodle, and not an al dente one. He provides near zero offense at 5v5 and can't play defense. He's damn near useless. His attractive attributes are being a good skater, a potential PP QB, and a PMD at ES. Unfortunately for Cholowski, there are a bevy of NHL defensemen who can be sufficient PMD. And plenty who can skate. And so his value lies, at this point, exclusively as a PP QB. Problem is, he sucks in almost every facet of being an NHL defenseman, and his potential as a PP QB is not enough to overcome that.
That's pretty much it. Add non-physical play. Your (#12) peer review is now complete.

upload_2021-1-10_7-30-38.png

Reactions: jaster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Djoos gets nothing but praise from his fans on former teams. Very interesting. ANA guys loved him and Caps guys loved him.

Think he could be our another PP guy, there so much praise also about those skills.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Stecher
Djoos - Merrill

Hronek and Djoos to PP units and DeKeyser/Nemeth/Stecher/Merril to PK units.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You can state all the stats you want, but the fact of the matter is that Cholo will wind up playing in Europe because he's afraid to touch anyone. He'll be the last person in the world to catch COVID because he won't come within 6ft of anyone.

He needs to play in the AHL this season while he's waivers exempt. The team can always cut bait with Djoos later, but for the time being, he's a much better option.

"You can cite data all you want, but the fact is my opinion is fact!"
Priceless.

"Dickless Lidstrom" was afraid to touch guys for years - but he was elite offensively.
If Cholo was producing points like Bowey did, our fanbase would overlook his defensive shittiness the way they do with Hronek.

But he's not. Cholowski's problem is, again, on the offensive side of things, his supposed strength, his numbers are closer to Biega and Ericsson than Hronek or Bowey.
cholo-jpg.383077

I agree with you that Cholowski would be well served by being engaged and physical as Hronek. Being engaged and physical can help you improve your defense. And to the average fan, sitting at home, it's a sign that at least they're doing something.

But most importantly, Cholo just needs to be better at hockey.

I've seen enough from Cholo on the PP at the NHL level to understand he's got NHL offense in his game.
Over 2 seasons he leads this team in goals/60 and points/60 among blueliners on the PP.

Attachments

• cholo.jpg
    cholo.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 28

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Priceless.

"Dickless Lidstrom" was afraid to touch guys for years - but he was elite offensively.
If Cholo was producing points like Bowey did, our fanbase would overlook his defensive shittiness the way they do with Hronek.

But he's not. Cholowski's problem is, again, on the offensive side of things, his supposed strength, his numbers are closer to Biega and Ericsson than Hronek or Bowey.

I agree with you that Cholowski would be well served by being engaged and physical as Hronek. Being engaged and physical can help you improve your defense. And to the average fan, sitting at home, it's a sign that at least they're doing something.

But most importantly, Cholo just needs to be better at hockey.

I've seen enough from Cholo on the PP at the NHL level to understand he's got NHL offense in his game.
Over 2 seasons he leads this team in goals/60 and points/60 among blueliners on the PP.

I think Cholo was a bit of a victim of unfortunate luck. His line mates carried a 4.6 shooting % when he was on the ice. Beiga, Daley, Lashoff & Nemeth all benefited from better team shooting. Cholowski also had the 3rd best relative corsi of all our D last season. Im not saying he is dominant or anything but we could have reasonably expected more offence than we got from him. He is decent offensively but the puck just wasn’t going in.

Reactions: Oddbob

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hmm wonder if we would have gotten an asset for taking hickey

Doubtful. The fact that we went and picked someone off of waivers and the trade talks stopped tells me that Steve was actively looking for defenseman. Hickey’s contract isn’t bad enough to make him a cap dump.

It does make me wonder if there’s a move happening on the blue line. Maybe there was an unspoken agreement to cut Staal and let him sign elsewhere. Maybe they are just downright unimpressed with someone. It just feels like there was a conscious decision to get more on the back end.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why are we not just playing Cholowski? Let him play. What good is having a bunch of 6th/7th D that are past improving as guys like Djoos and others are? To me it seems like we are trying to be just competitive enough that we both miss the playoffs, but not so bad we get a good pick.

Because he isn't a good hockey player.

If we aren't playing a guy, it's because he isn't good. We're a really really bad team that could use any good player we can find, so if we had players who were good hockey players we would be playing them.

Also, it's complete lunacy to just assume you're "developing" a young player if you gift wrap him minutes. If Cholo can't keep up with the speed of the game with his hockey IQ right now... it's not gonna get better by tossing him out there to be outmatched. You develop your players by being able to get them into spots where they can actually learn. Where you have a base of solid players who know what they are doing, even if they're not fantastic, so you can get the Hroneks, Raymonds and Seiders of the world to build and build and build with making the safe and consistent play. If you have a papier-mache defense and your goalie can't save a beach ball (19-20 Detroit Red Wings style), your young players aren't going to improve. It is reps of competitive hockey than you need. If you're losing games 4-1, 5-1, 6-2, etc. That's not doing anything for the guys on your roster besides teaching them the humility that they're not that good.

Reactions: Gniwder

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Doubtful. The fact that we went and picked someone off of waivers and the trade talks stopped tells me that Steve was actively looking for defenseman. Hickey’s contract isn’t bad enough to make him a cap dump.

It does make me wonder if there’s a move happening on the blue line. Maybe there was an unspoken agreement to cut Staal and let him sign elsewhere. Maybe they are just downright unimpressed with someone. It just feels like there was a conscious decision to get more on the back end.

He can still waive him, but I doubt someone picks hims up.
Rangers couldn't wait to get rid of him.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

2.5 mill for a guy who didn’t play in the NHL last year isn’t a good contract. Especially with the economics of the NHL right now and because NY is up against the cap with extending Barzal. I bet yzerman was looking for a good pick and Lou wasn’t budging on what he wanted. Then Djoos became free and they probably like him better + his cap hit is only 1 mill

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2.5 mill for a guy who didn’t play in the NHL last year isn’t a good contract. Especially with the economics of the NHL right now and because NY is up against the cap with extending Barzal. I bet yzerman was looking for a good pick and Lou wasn’t budging on what he wanted. Then Djoos became free and they probably like him better + his cap hit is only 1 mill

NY Islanders doesn't neccessarily need that cap space anywhewre. They can deal with Boychuk LTIR.

But I think Thomas Hickey would be a good try. He formerly had those injury problems (concussions), but last season went off because of family problems.

Think the guy will just need a fresh start somwhere. He isn't a bad hockeyplayer.

Hickey is Islanders nominee for Masterton Trophy

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
(for reference) from the HF Waivers board:

"Any player claimed on waivers cannot be traded for the rest of the season unless:
- (a) Only one team (Detroit) submitted a claim. or
- (b) If multiple teams submitted claims then the successfully claiming team (Detroit) must offer the player for "free" to all of those teams that submitted claims and be turned down by them. Note "free" is the waiver claim fee of $100 to ~$60,000 depending on player experience.

There is no waiver priority for the Ducks or any team that lost a player on waivers--one of those myths that never dies on HFB. If Djoos is waived again (by Detroit) and the Ducks are the only team to submit a claim then they have the option of sending Djoos to the AHL without having to clear waivers again. "

Reactions: Gniwder

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I like this add. Cholo looks just terrible in these scrimmages and playing in the league right now doesn't appear like it's going to help him. He's not being blocked, he needs to learn how to be a much better pro hockey player. He can skate and has good puck skills but he can't process worth a damn, IMO.

If someone offered anything attractive for him right now, I'd trade him without hesitation.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I like this add. Cholo looks just terrible in these scrimmages and playing in the league right now doesn't appear like it's going to help him. He's not being blocked, he needs to learn how to be a much better pro hockey player. He can skate and has good puck skills but he can't process worth a damn, IMO.

If someone offered anything attractive for him right now, I'd trade him without hesitation.

And that's why nobody is going to offer you anything attractive for him. You get attractive offers when you'd loathe giving up the player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Priceless.
Are you saying his stats were good? Defensively or offensively? Would he make it on any other NHL team?

On top of that, he doesn't pass the eye test.... he's too slow to react, and that's really bad when you're the softest player in the league (after Hirose was demoted).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Biega is a better NHLer than Lashoff, by a noticeable margin. But it doesn't matter. They are both Quad A players who have no business on a good NHL roster.
Has Lashoff ever coughed up the puck to an opponent on purpose to avoid a check? Biega did that against Lucic.

I would say Lashoff is better against physical opponents, Biega vs speed, for obvious reasons. Either way, like you said who cares. If they're playing on the Red WIngs then the team is in trouble.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Has Lashoff ever coughed up the puck to an opponent on purpose to avoid a check? Biega did that against Lucic.

I would say Lashoff is better against physical opponents, Biega vs speed, for obvious reasons. Either way, like you said who cares. If they're playing on the Red WIngs then the team is in trouble.

I was considering overall bodies of work. But yeah. Both players have made some pretty impressive gaffes in the NHL. Not trying to dump on either player, both have been dependable warriors at lower levels. Wish them the best. Would rather not see them in Detroit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Are you saying his stats were good? Defensively or offensively? Would he make it on any other NHL team?

On top of that, he doesn't pass the eye test.... he's too slow to react, and that's really bad when you're the softest player in the league (after Hirose was demoted).

Yeah,
Agree and disagree.

I think he's got OK IQ in the Dzone.
I think he's just timid. He doesn't compete hard enough on the wall or in front of the net. That's his Dzone problems, IMO, along with traditional young D-man problems.

On offense, I think the Wings are probably in his head. Maybe he doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with Blashill's bullshit.
But he's constantly playing like a low-confidence young defenseman.
We've seen it with Ericsson, Kindl, FIscher, etc etc.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah,
Agree and disagree.

I think he's got OK IQ in the Dzone.
I think he's just timid. He doesn't compete hard enough on the wall or in front of the net. That's his Dzone problems, IMO, along with traditional young D-man problems.

On offense, I think the Wings are probably in his head. Maybe he doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with Blashill's bullshit.
But he's constantly playing like a low-confidence young defenseman.
We've seen it with Ericsson, Kindl, FIscher, etc etc.
Cholo can't defend anyone one on one, anywhere on the ice. He got burned so many times, it was sad. Also, the reason why his GF is so low is because he was playing against the opponents bottom lines, which also means that the WIngs were playing their bottom 2 line. The bottom 2 lines combined for like 2 goals I think all season, lol. Which is all teh reason why your stats don't mean much since they don't account for the quality of opponents or teammate.

Also, if you don't like his compete on the wall and net front, then you won't like Djoos either. He plays as you would expect of someone his size. DDK is 6'3", 190 lbs and Djoos is 6'0 180....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad