Confirmed with Link: Wings claim Christian Djoos from ANA

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Probably a better fit than Staal but is he a better fit for this team than, say, Merrill?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
from the Ducks board:

"26 year old who’s dominated the AHL and SHL. Might be the year he breaks out."

a bit of hyperbole, but still nice to hear. Also read he has some PP ability, "when he's at his best". Bye Cholowski.

"He was an important regular with the Caps in their Cup run in 2018, and then had a down year and battled injuries in 2018-19 (compartment syndrome)."

"He had some decent zone exit numbers in his last year in Washington."

"Link: Tableau Public "

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why are we not just playing Cholowski? Let him play. What good is having a bunch of 6th/7th D that are past improving as guys like Djoos and others are? To me it seems like we are trying to be just competitive enough that we both miss the playoffs, but not so bad we get a good pick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hmm, same kind of stats (3-year) as Merril and Stecher had 5-on-5. I see a pattern in here.

Manages a low GAA. Could be goaltender luck or could be doing right things to help the goaltender.

Merrill, 2.45 - 1.94 (GF%: 55.8%) Team-highest GF%, Team-Lowest GAA (3-year data, 5-on-5, +100 games)
Stecher, 2.42 - 2.25 (GF%: 51.9%) Team-highest GF%, Team-Lowest GAA (3-year data, 5-on-5, +100 games)
Djoos, 2.93 - 2.03 (GF%: 59.1% (Best GF% both at ANA & WSH, 3-year data, 5-on-5, +100 games)

Djoos didn't really play on special teams, like Merril and Stecher have been at least on PK.

Maybe Marc Staal is gone after his jerk comments?

Are these numbers adjusted for competition and ice time? I mean, I look at these guys and I see them being the 5th or 6th D on their teams and I remember how competent being on the third pair made guys like Lebda and Lilja look...until they got more ice time and bigger roles.

The truth is that we've added a bunch of third pairing D to this team who are now going to likely be getting some more minutes, some heavier responsibility, with less help from their teammates than they got in their previous situation and likely playing a system that doesn't exactly embrace the idea of shutting things down and limiting chances (maybe Blashill will finally adjust that, but I doubt it).

Maybe Djoos has another gear, he only played 11 games last year.

Reactions: Reddwit

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't get why people are so down on guys like Hicketts, Lashoff, Biega, etc. Not everyone can be named Lidstrom.

Because they are bad. I take that back, Lashoff can at least play a safe game at the NHL level and not get abused. Hicketts and Biega, though...I wouldn't mind never seeing them dress for another game with the Wings.

Why are we not just playing Cholowski? Let him play. What good is having a bunch of 6th/7th D that are past improving as guys like Djoos and others are? To me it seems like we are trying to be just competitive enough that we both miss the playoffs, but not so bad we get a good pick.

This team is missing the playoffs. Cholo isn't getting a spot gift wrapped for him because he has been bad. If there is going to be an AHL season, I think it would be best for him to be in GR getting heavy minutes on the first pair to try to get his game in shape, then look to come to camp this fall with the inside track on getting a roster spot then.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because they are bad. I take that back, Lashoff can at least play a safe game at the NHL level and not get abused. Hicketts and Biega, though...I wouldn't mind never seeing them dress for another game with the Wings.

This team is missing the playoffs. Cholo isn't getting a spot gift wrapped for him because he has been bad. If there is going to be an AHL season, I think it would be best for him to be in GR getting heavy minutes on the first pair to try to get his game in shape, then look to come to camp this fall with the inside track on getting a roster spot then.

He wasn't any worse than all the other crap we had last year. I also include Hronek in this as his last 25 or so games last year he was quite bad with a -20 or something in that final stretch. We literally can't be any worse than last year, so let the kids play, not players who are guaranteed fill in only players. Stecher, Merrill, Staal, Djoos are just average D at best and nothing special at all.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Exactly. I remember when Canuck fans were saying “Biega is great, he’ll be a perfect bottom pairing guy for you guys.”

Yeah, no.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He wasn't any worse than all the other crap we had last year. I also include Hronek in this as his last 25 or so games last year he was quite bad with a -20 or something in that final stretch. We literally can't be any worse than last year, so let the kids play, not players who are guaranteed fill in only players. Stecher, Merrill, Staal, Djoos are just average D at best and nothing special at all.

well, I think Cholowski was worse. Hronek did look rough by the end, but he was also averaging over 24 minutes a night over the last 38 games (just under 24 for the season) as our 1D. Cholowski never really made it past November, playing in four or fewer games each of the last four months of the season. Cholowski was just bad from beginning to end, and really it stretches back to the season before. Around here I'm usually one of the biggest proponents of moving kids into the lineup but Cholowski just hasn't look like an NHL caliber D in any sense.

At least in GR he can be given the minutes and responsibilities to try to sort it out, an opportunity that I don't think can be afforded him in Detroit. Go to GR, ideally get off to a good start, and then come to Detroit later in the year when some of those fill-in guys are dealt for picks, Seider and Veleno can come back from Sweden, and build towards being a regular next season.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was under the impression he was thought higher of than waiver fodder. Not that he’s some superstar or top 4 player even, but I remember him playing decent minutes for Washington the year they won it.
He also got abused physically. Teams were targeting him in every series, the hope was that he'd bulk up a little, and he never did. 10:51 TOI in the playoffs, obviously very sheltered minutes. He's basically a slightly better version of Cholo, in every aspect of the game.

He's left handed, but played the right side that season next to Orpik on the third pair. Needs to be paired up with someone physical.

I'm just glad this means Biega is on the practice squad and Cholo probably gets sent to GR. Nothing to get excited about though, just a waiver pickup, though there is trade potential. (DLR netted Fabbri, so you never know.)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't get why people are so down on guys like Hicketts, Lashoff, Biega, etc. Not everyone can be named Lidstrom.
Nobody is down on Lashoff, he understands his role which is basically emergency callup if enough players get injured. Also holds the fort down in GR. He's been solid for the team over the years, and gets compensated well for an AHLer ($275k).

Seriously though, do you expect anyone to get excited about a bunch of players that can clear waivers? That's how you wind up in last place, filling your roster with AHL players. Oh yeah, we've already been there....

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I like that he was versatile enough to play his offside during a Cup run. I can't imagine the majority of NHL dmen could do that. Opens up even more options, mix & match depending on opponents, back to backs etc.

DDK-Hronek
Nemeth-
would be my blueprint for top 3 til Seider arrives.

65-17
22-Stecher
Merrill/Staal/Djoos-Lindstrom
-------------------------------------

Biega-taxi
Cholo-GR

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
from the Ducks board:

"26 year old who’s dominated the AHL and SHL. Might be the year he breaks out."

a bit of hyperbole, but still nice to hear. Also read he has some PP ability, "when he's at his best". Bye Cholowski.

"He was an important regular with the Caps in their Cup run in 2018, and then had a down year and battled injuries in 2018-19 (compartment syndrome)."

"He had some decent zone exit numbers in his last year in Washington."

"Link: Tableau Public "

He played 10 minutes a game... so Brett Lebda type minutes for the Caps.

For me, no point in sucking if you don't have the guts to stick by kids learning the game.

If Chevy's healthy, play him.
If Cholo''s healthy, play him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
well, I think Cholowski was worse. Hronek did look rough by the end, but he was also averaging over 24 minutes a night over the last 38 games (just under 24 for the season) as our 1D. Cholowski never really made it past November, playing in four or fewer games each of the last four months of the season. Cholowski was just bad from beginning to end, and really it stretches back to the season before. Around here I'm usually one of the biggest proponents of moving kids into the lineup but Cholowski just hasn't look like an NHL caliber D in any sense.

At least in GR he can be given the minutes and responsibilities to try to sort it out, an opportunity that I don't think can be afforded him in Detroit. Go to GR, ideally get off to a good start, and then come to Detroit later in the year when some of those fill-in guys are dealt for picks, Seider and Veleno can come back from Sweden, and build towards being a regular next season.

Cholo's defensive woes are overstated.
No, he;s not very good. But NOBODY on this team was good.
Cholo's TRUE problem is that for whatever reason, this team doesn't score when he's on the ice.

The Wings have 11 defensemen with 500 5-on-5 minutes over the last 2 years.
The worst GA/60 are
Bowey 3.48
Hronek 3.24
Daley 3.2
Cholo 2.98
Ericsson 2,93
Green 2.83

So that's pretty weak. 2.98. But, it's better than Bowey - and Bowey wasn't seeing tough assignments.
And it's better than Hronek by a fair margin - though, yes, Hronek had tougher minutes.

But the difference is this - and it's striking for a guy who is supposed to have some offense in his game.

Worst GF/60
Biega 1.36
Ericsson 1.4
Nemeth 1.63
Cholo 1.67

Now... again, Hronek's only at 1.94. It's not an insignificant amount...but it's not huge either.
And at some point, you have to remember linemates. Hronek is spending quite a bit of time with Detroit's big guns while Cholo spent a lot of time with Nielsen/Abdelkader/Perlini types.
So the situational stuff cuts both ways.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cholo's defensive woes are overstated.
No, he;s not very good. But NOBODY on this team was good.
Cholo's TRUE problem is that for whatever reason, this team doesn't score when he's on the ice.
You can state all the stats you want, but the fact of the matter is that Cholo will wind up playing in Europe because he's afraid to touch anyone. He'll be the last person in the world to catch COVID because he won't come within 6ft of anyone.

He needs to play in the AHL this season while he's waivers exempt. The team can always cut bait with Djoos later, but for the time being, he's a much better option.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Nobody is down on Lashoff, he understands his role which is basically emergency callup if enough players get injured. Also holds the fort down in GR. He's been solid for the team over the years, and gets compensated well for an AHLer ($275k).

Seriously though, do you expect anyone to get excited about a bunch of players that can clear waivers? That's how you wind up in last place, filling your roster with AHL players. Oh yeah, we've already been there....

You uh, you must have missed the Lashoff bagging when he was still a "tweener;" the word "garbage" and variations thereof were used many times.

Guys like Biega and Hicketts have their roles, but people shit on them because they're being played too much, or utilized above their abilities, whatever -- which is not on them as much as it is on the coaching staff.

Besides, if another, more highly-touted player can't beat those guys for a roster spot, there are bigger problems than the "bottom feeder" players everyone complains about.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Biega is a better NHLer than Lashoff, by a noticeable margin. But it doesn't matter. They are both Quad A players who have no business on a good NHL roster.

Djoos is indeed another bottom-pairing defenseman though. By my count, that makes 6 of them (a couple of whom you could argue are #7s), with Hronek #3 upside and DDK #4 upside (on a competitive team). Yet, amazingly, it's a better defense corps than last year. Bowey, Daley and Ericsson all belonged in the Quad-A category with Biega, Lashoff, Hicketts, and McIlrath.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad