Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Robby Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Loving these trades. No risk, good potential. He fits our core age group and has history with Bert, just like Perlini with Larkin.

Reactions: Ricelund

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That is the real key here. Fabbri moves from a 4th line/Scratch role likely to a 3rd line role here in Detroit.

I anticipate this being short lived. With players like Filppula, Hirose, Erne, Helm rotating on the second line, as soon as Fabbri gets comfortable in the Winged Wheel, he should easily be able to replace one of them.

With all these moves bringing in high talent level, change of scenery type deals, there is a growing feeling in my gut that we are approaching the point where we could see a sale of a major player. Maybe it's Mantha, maybe it's Athanasiou; but I could see this being a stockpiling of ammunition to cushion the blow and have players with the skill set of a top 6 forward who could conceivably step in and try to recapture their past success, or build on it.

Reactions: Ricelund

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
De la Rose was 2nd rounder.

Yeah, my point was just that Fabbri is not the same player anymore as at the draft moment of hopes. He is more wrecked than Svechnikov in the past.

Yes, JDLR was a former second rounder whose best season produced 12 points. Fabbri in his first 123 games produced 29 goals and 37 assists. Last year, in his return from two major knee injuries, Fabbri still managed to score 3 fewer points in around 50% of the games as JDLR.

The point is, one player is a second round pick turned into 4th line fodder; the second player is a first round pick turned into a top 6 offensive player riddled with injuries. No matter what JDLR does, he has established himself as a reliable 4th liner. Something we have WAY too much of in the organization, and someone who probably is signing a deal with a new team after the season. Fabbri, if he can recapture half of the player he was is still a greater need for the Wings. The injuries are why he slowed down, the injuries are why he was available, the injuries are why JDLR was the cost. But the injuries could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Wings if he is physically able to bounce back.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
De la Rose was 2nd rounder.

Yeah, my point was just that Fabbri is not the same player anymore as at the draft moment of hopes. He is more wrecked than Svechnikov in the past.

Right, but some other team paid that 2nd rounder price. And StL paid the Fabbri 1st round price.

This is a dime a dozen waiver-wire pickup for a guy who was a good prospect at once in his life who fell in StL's rankings due to a lot of injuries.

This move is 100% similar to the Wings picking up Dan Cleary from Chicago in the mid 2000s for nothing. If Fabbri can mirror Danny Cleary, that would be a home run pickup.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Horvat was in the 2013 draft not 2014. And wanting Fabbri over Larkin in 2014 wasn't a bad call at the time...

Dylan Larkin, Joe Veleno and Jared McIsaac are the only times in my life when the Red Wings picked the guy I wanted at that time.
In the Larkin draft, I was Larkin... Tuch... McCann...Fabbri .. in that order, IIRC.

With Veleno .. I was looking at Alexeyeev there, but Joe kept falling. Had to take him.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Right, but some other team paid that 2nd rounder price. And StL paid the Fabbri 1st round price.

This is a dime a dozen waiver-wire pickup for a guy who was a good prospect at once in his life who fell in StL's rankings due to a lot of injuries.

This move is 100% similar to the Wings picking up Dan Cleary from Chicago in the mid 2000s for nothing. If Fabbri can mirror Danny Cleary, that would be a home run pickup.

DLR was considered a good prospect not that long ago either.
Fabbri was traded for a dime-a-dozen player for a reason.

St. Louis trading Fabbri for DLR is like the Wings trading away Mrazek or Jurco for thirds or whatever.
Except, with St Louis, it kind of makes more sense, since they aren't an old, shitty team in desperate need of a rebuild.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
At least he's making moves! LOL

Oh wait, that's not how this works. Good to see fans are sill living in the honeymoon phase with Stevie

What are you talking about? There is literally no way we couls lose this trade. We traded a 4th line waiver pickup for a young talented player that has had injury problems. If Fabbri doesnt turn out what exactly have we lost?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see Svech ever becoming an important piece on this team, so it's irrelevant where he plays. Maybe he'll end up being a good bottom 6 player or a bad top 6 player on a bad team. Svech seems to have gotten the new mantle of other past Red Wings players who 'never got a chance', players like Jan Mursak and Jurco. Brendan Smith was never used properly, but he apparently sucks every where he goes.

I'm glad Yzerman is trying things, not sure I see why it would be better to play Svech just because of the principle. Yzerman didn't draft Svech, so not sure why he should care that some fans think Svech is owed something.

As for the Fabbri trade, I love it. Fabbri has a tremendous amount of talent and hopefully he can stay healthy and maximize on the opportunity.

So we agree,
Yzerman has moved on past Svech.

The difference is, you think that's OK.

I'm not there yet.

I don't see why we wouldn't give him a real shot?
What did we have it. to lose?
A shot at Erne? A shot at Perlini?
More opportunity for Taro f***ing Hirose?

If we'd given Svech the first 15 games of the season playing 12 minutes a night, and he sucked, I'd agree sending him back down to GR.

I don't have a problem with the Fabbri for DLR trade on value.
I don't have a problem with Fabbri.

I have an issue with Fabbri, Erne and Perlini, in succession.

Frankly, Erne and Perlini have been horseshit. No skill. No value. I sure as hell hope that Fabbri bucks the trend.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Blows my mind that some folks are against this trade. Kind of feels like it’s just to be anti lol

Take this move by itself, I'm for it.
Take this move with the Erne trade and Perlini trade... and It just feels like we're piling up shit.

I kind of think Yzerman is just trading away garbage, trying to hit a home run, maybe for nothing but trade value.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I like this trade, feels pretty low risk, worth taking a shot on a guy like Fabbri who was pretty highly regarded as a draft pick and in his first couple years. I liked DLR but I think he's replaceable. Do I wish they could have traded someone like Nielsen instead? Yes, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Dude. He's 23. He's been pro for 3-4 years now.
He's not a first-year pro.
It feels a little disingenuous to act like he's just your standard 23 year old prospect who's been playing in the AHL for a few years waiting for his shot and not mention that he missed the entirety of last season. Can you really blame the Red Wings if they want to be a little cautious with him this year?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm convinced Yzerman keeps making these in season trades to keep me interested in watching the games. He knows I'm a sucker for watching new talent play!!! Also, love this trade. Hopefully Fabbri can stay healthy.

Reactions: Gniwder

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
With Fabbri coming in wouldn’t hate throwing him with Larkin and Bertuzzi right away. Mantha and AA seemed to get some things going last night. Also maybe it gives Fabbri a little jolt to his confidence.

Fabbri- Larkin- Bert
AA- fil- mantha
Perlini- Nielsen- Hirose
Helm- Abby- Erne

that 4th puts Erne in his proper spot as a 4th line pain in the butt. I seen some flashes from Perlini that I liked last night. Could make the lineup a little deeper especially if Fabbri can gain some form

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So we agree,
Yzerman has moved on past Svech.

The difference is, you think that's OK.

I'm not there yet.

I don't see why we wouldn't give him a real shot?
What did we have it. to lose?
A shot at Erne? A shot at Perlini?
More opportunity for Taro ****ing Hirose?

If we'd given Svech the first 15 games of the season playing 12 minutes a night, and he sucked, I'd agree sending him back down to GR.

I don't have a problem with the Fabbri for DLR trade on value.
I don't have a problem with Fabbri.

I have an issue with Fabbri, Erne and Perlini, in succession.

Frankly, Erne and Perlini have been horse****. No skill. No value. I sure as hell hope that Fabbri bucks the trend.

There is nothing wrong with accumulating buy-low reclamation talent on a rebuilding team.

Fabbri essentially missed a two and a half years with multiple knee injuries and still was unable to reclaim his performance in the past that had him looking like a significantly better player than Svechnikov. Could you consider for a second that playing Svechnikov in GR is the best place for him to truly shake off the rust and re-establish himself? On the team's top lines, with plenty of ice time, with supporting depth to ensure he isn't hemmed into his own zone 75% of his shifts? If the team thought that Svechnikov was a guaranteed top 6 performer, they wouldn't have applied for an extra year of waiver exempt status. If Svechnikov forces the issue, a player like Hirose or Erne are not going to stand in the way.

Not every move that the organization makes is to spite you and your favorite players.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
What are you talking about? There is literally no way we couls lose this trade. We traded a 4th line waiver pickup for a young talented player that has had injury problems. If Fabbri doesnt turn out what exactly have we lost?
For starters, we really need to stop referring to De La Rose as a "waiver pickup" and Fabbri as a "talented first round pick"

Fabbri is 23.5 years old and was a #21 overall pick
De La Rose is 24 years old and was a #34 overall pick

How can we say only one of these players has potential to improve and the other has no future with the team?

Reactions: lilidk

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
For starters, we really need to stop referring to De La Rose as a "waiver pickup" and Fabbri as a "talented first round pick"

How can we say only one of these players has potential to improve and the other has no future with the team?
When do you think Blashill has a change of heart and starts playing DLR top 6 minutes and giving him chances to shine? At least with Fabbri we get another shot at a player to try to find some success with. DLR was going to be nothing but a 4th liner here whether you like to believe that or not.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Quite easily. See below.

Yes, JDLR was a former second rounder whose best season produced 12 points. Fabbri in his first 123 games produced 29 goals and 37 assists. Last year, in his return from two major knee injuries, Fabbri still managed to score 3 fewer points in around 50% of the games as JDLR.

The point is, one player is a second round pick turned into 4th line fodder; the second player is a first round pick turned into a top 6 offensive player riddled with injuries. No matter what JDLR does, he has established himself as a reliable 4th liner. Something we have WAY too much of in the organization, and someone who probably is signing a deal with a new team after the season. Fabbri, if he can recapture half of the player he was is still a greater need for the Wings. The injuries are why he slowed down, the injuries are why he was available, the injuries are why JDLR was the cost. But the injuries could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Wings if he is physically able to bounce back.

Career Numbers

JDLR: 195 games, 12 goals, 32 points.
Fabbri: 164 games, 32 goals 73 points.

One of them had a fantastic start to their career and suffered two injuries, but the ability was there. The other has always been the same player at every single step of his entire hockey career.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
DLR has 32 points in 195 career games.

Fabbri had 37 points in 72 games in his rookie year.

It's clear which player has more potential upside.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
For a team that severely lacks scoring and any effing creativity it's amazing fans still find a way to complain about a trade that tries to help solve it.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
DLR has 32 points in 195 career games.

Fabbri had 37 points in 72 games in his rookie year.

It's clear which player has more potential upside.
Is there any chance that a good defensive forward can get EVEN BETTER defensively?
Or maybe a defensive forward develops an offensive game?

They are the same age. They have an equal chance to improve

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Because one guy has shown that he had offensive chops and his rookie season was on a level with Vladimir Tarasenko. The other is Jacob De La Rose who has 32 points spread over several seasons.
For the Wings, DLR was a waiver-wire pickup. That's what he was. And he is abysmal in puck possession, abysmal in point production and MAYBE you can consider him adequate in a defensive role. Fabbri has shown offensive chops. DLR never has and never will. Fabbri's available due to massive injuries. The only reason him and DLR are comparable is that he's had massive injuries that tend to take a while to come back from.

DLR has been here a couple of years and he hasn't developed since we got him. Fabbri has had his growth short-circuited by getting some big injuries. Just for a random example, give them numbers to represent their skill level. DLR is a 4 or 5. He's perfectly mediocre to a little below average. Fabbri in his first year with StL was a 7 or 8 as he was keeping up with Tarasenko's rookie season. Due to his injuries, he's kind of at a 3-5 right now. There is a chance he gets back to that level if he just needs time to heal up and opportunity that he won't get in StL.

For a more pertinent example (although in baseball), look at Justin Verlander in his last two years with Detroit and then what he's done in Houston since. He was looking really over the hill due to his core injury. So bad that the Tigers HAD to trade him and eat 8M a year on the remainder of his deal to make it happen. Then, all of a sudden, the injury that they said would take about a year and a half for him to feel normal again healed up after a year and a half and he's an All-Star, Cy Young type pitcher again. When you're bad or when you can get a player at a wildly depressed rate due to injury, you take your shot. Fabbri's got potential to improve because he had the skill to be far better than DLR when he was drafted. DLR is not a part of the future because he's not getting any better. He's the same like 10 point a year guy who is ostensibly great defensively the last three years running. Tell me a material difference between Dominic Turgeon and Jacob De La Rose, I dare you.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
For a team that severely lacks scoring and any effing creativity it's amazing fans still find a way to complain about a trade that tries to help solve it.
We added a guy that has 8 points in his last 51 NHL games.

We also have the most goals against in the league.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
The guy I wanted over Dylan Larkin if Horvat didn't fall... So yeah I am happy guy and will admit that now embarrassing take.

Career has been derailed by injury. Hopefully he can get it going. But this is a skill trade. DLR has played well this year, I like him but dude cannot cash chances. Hopefully he does better in St. Louis, valuable depth player to a winning team hopefully that was wasted here. But I didn't hate watching him play, still a good move for us in my opinion.
I don't think you need to be embarrassed by that take. You weren't the only to feel that way that year. Just goes to show IMO though how silly it is how certain we get about our preferred draft choices. Forget just analyzing whether their skills will translate to the NHL, you can't predict an injury like Fabbri's. Also, I agree with your take on the trade!

And I don't agree with celebrating moves for the sake of moves that seems to go on around here. If we had another GM that had been around for a few years, and he made 3 trades that combined for a total of 21 games played, 0 points, and -11... those would be viewed as failures rather than celebrated
There are a few posts in here along the lines of at least Yzerman made moves. The majority of the people praising the trade have actually stated WHY they like the trade. If you see that as blind loyalty to Yzerman, that's on you.

Also, RE: the bolded. I believe you are talking about the trades that brought us Erne, Biega, and Perlini. You do realize that the players we traded away to get them have 0 NHL games played and points this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad