Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Robby Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The guy I wanted over Dylan Larkin if Horvat didn't fall... So yeah I am happy guy and will admit that now embarrassing take.

Career has been derailed by injury. Hopefully he can get it going. But this is a skill trade. DLR has played well this year, I like him but dude cannot cash chances. Hopefully he does better in St. Louis, valuable depth player to a winning team hopefully that was wasted here. But I didn't hate watching him play, still a good move for us in my opinion.
Horvat was in the 2013 draft not 2014. And wanting Fabbri over Larkin in 2014 wasn't a bad call at the time...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
DLR is one of the only reliable guy defensively on this roster and I started to appreciate him, but yeah, he has almost no offence to speak of. I'll miss him but this is a good trade. We need to find some offensive talent. And it's harder to find than defensive talent that's for sure.
I would have tried and Svech or Zadina call up before trading players for offense but I think the move was too good to pass.

Reactions: Realgud

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The team has spiraled over the last several games. DLR was a consistent, but unimpactful player who was in no way helping the team win games. Fabbri has been plagued with injuries but has more talent than DLR and could potentially give the Wings some semblance of offense if he can get it going. No, it isn't the move that suddenly makes the team a contender, but sometimes it is the little moves that can potentially make an impact (as small as it may be) and improve the team in meaningful ways. It remains to be seen whether that is the case, but I am at least more optimistic about the Wings getting better offensively with Fabbri on the roster than just keeping DLR.

I also find it very strange that you would categorize this as the "Yzerman honeymoon phase" when we have Blues fans also saying that this was a good deal on Detroit's part. Are Blues fans also experiencing this honeymoon phase?

Do you think Yzerman has done a bad job as GM thus far?
Oh boy, my favorite vague terms of "talent" and "skill"!

Has he done a bad job? Well there hasn't really been enough time yet, but acquiring guys that are known to not play defense but also don't have offense sure isn't a good job. Combine that with his failures in TB, I think we should be more skeptical of the moves hes making

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This trade is honestly genius.

A good defense-only forward doesn’t do us much good when they’re still being outscored 5-1 every night. I like DLR, but he’s redundant on this roster. Not to mention we got him for free essentially so no harm done. He’ll do well in STL.

Even if these past two trades fail, there wasn’t a whole lot lost in the process. We should’ve been making moves like this for years now. Even when we were competitive.
Exactly. Holland grinded out veterans like a ponzi scheme until we finally collapsed

Reactions: Reddwit

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Fabbri is a lottery ticket. You make this trade 10x out of 10 if you're Detroit/Yzerman. DLR is a solid 4th liner - but we're so sad sack we don't need to be worrying about having solid 4th liners right now. Swing for the fences - you'll strike out 9x out of 10, but Yzerman is rightly looking for that one home run.

Fabbri, Perlini, Erne are all trades Yzerman should be making when we're bad as we are. Hope you get your home run earlier than your 10th such trade.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Looks like Yzerman thinks Svech is ****.
Since the season started he's acquired Erne, Perlini and Fabbri.

I could like this deal if Fabbri was the C he was drafted as. Otherwise, it just seems like we're collecting guys who washed out of other organizations and playing them ahead of our own first rounder.

Wuuuut ? It’s called clearing out players that have ZERO future with the wings. When you can send an unknown for a former first rounder, then a week later send a bottom 6 player (we have many) for another former first rounder who can’t get into a loaded Blues lineup, you do it.
This has nothing to do with Svechnikov. If you are curious to know what he truly is doing, take a look at his first few years in TB and how he shaped their roster. Erne , Perlini , Fabbri could be huge assets down the road for players like Svechnikov to play with. Think before you speak.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
At least he's making moves! LOL

Oh wait, that's not how this works. Good to see fans are sill living in the honeymoon phase with Stevie

Uh we don’t really have any reasons to not be in the honeymoon phase? He’s made a handful low risk/high reward moves and has shown he wants a successful team over loyalty and picking favorites

Would you be more content with him sitting on his hands and doing nothing? Seems like it

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If you are curious to know what he truly is doing, take a look at his first few years in TB and how he shaped their roster. Erne , Perlini , Fabbri could be huge assets down the road for players like Svechnikov to play with.
Wut?

What comparable trades to these did he make that were so critical to their success(*)?
Are we sure it was those trades rather than the 4 hall of famers he inherited?

*failing to win a playoff game in over half of your seasons is not a success

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wuuuut ? It’s called clearing out players that have ZERO future with the wings. When you can send an unknown for a former first rounder, then a week later send a bottom 6 player (we have many) for another former first rounder who can’t get into a loaded Blues lineup, you do it.
This has nothing to do with Svechnikov. If you are curious to know what he truly is doing, take a look at his first few years in TB and how he shaped their roster. Erne , Perlini , Fabbri could be huge assets down the road for players like Svechnikov to play with. Think before you speak.

That's not something that he really likes to do.

There is literally no downside to Detroit for making this trade. If Fabbri stays hurt and never comes back to anywhere close to what he was... we literally gave up a free asset who had no future with the team for a guy who has a better than zero chance of being something if he heals up.

Redder gets it in his head certain players that he likes and moves that push them away from whatever end goal he has in mind are bad and shouldn't even be countenanced. Looking objectively at this, we traded a dime a dozen replaceable guy for someone who needs time to heal and before injuries had a better rookie season than Vladimir Tarasenko.

DLR is a good guy by all accounts, but I seriously question the knowledge/sanity of anyone in the fanbase who is coming out vehemently about the trade. You don't have to be dancing in the streets and think it's a heist on the level of the Herschel Walker deal... but this is a good trade. There is nothing but upside in the trade. If Svech can't beat out injured and wrecked Fabbri, then Svech sucks. If Fabbri comes back and is anything like Fabbri was as a rookie, he's a better player than Svech.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Looks like Yzerman thinks Svech is ****.
Since the season started he's acquired Erne, Perlini and Fabbri.

I could like this deal if Fabbri was the C he was drafted as. Otherwise, it just seems like we're collecting guys who washed out of other organizations and playing them ahead of our own first rounder.

Feleno, I get it, you think playing in the AHL is a waste of time. You think players only develop if they are in the NHL. Svechnikov MAY one day be a good NHL'er, right now hes LEGALLY allowed to be in the AHL, and we will keep him there ALL YEAR. Because that is an asset we have.

Yzerman is making moves like a GM on the worst team should. Stack as many assets as we can. These are good moves.

If Svechnikov cant beat out Perlini and Fabbri next year... Than quite frankly he isn't an NHL player.

Which of course makes zero sense.

Not everyone Follows your logic, if we can continue picking up every underperforming 1st round player (implying they once had promise) on our roster of garbage... you do so. MAYBE they turn into something, maybe not. But why put ALL our Eggs into the Svechnikov Basket? Why not have Svechnikov + Fabbri... and see who is better next year. I don't care about WHEN Svechnikov makes the NHL. Let him prove he is worthy by dominating the AHL.... Because quite frankly we have no one in the AHL dominating right now. None of them have earned a call up in my opinion.

Low risk, high reward. Higher reward than the Perlini trade for sure. De La Rose is a solid fourth line center but theres no upside there and the wings have plenty of guys who can fill that role. Guys like Turgeon and Pearson could be there anytime now as well. Fabbri has the potential to be a scorer if he gets healthy though, or at least a middle 6, PP guy.

Hiroses PP spot might not be his much longer if Fabbri gets his feet under him. He was only getting 9-10 mins a game in St Louis this year, he'll play more than that in Detroit

That is the real key here. Fabbri moves from a 4th line/Scratch role likely to a 3rd line role here in Detroit.

I honestly do not expect Abdelkader and Helm to be on this roster all year. We will be moving out "useful" yet none impactful 4th line players to make room.

Like I said in the trade board it’s so weird seeing us with a GM this active

Its so cool! :)

I already have.
Svech looked better and better as the exhibition season went on.
He finished tied for the team league in points and did it in about 60 percent of the minutes it took Hirose to do it.
He started the AHL with a big game.
He got called up to Detroit. And sat.
And then when he did play a little bit, he looked pretty darn good.

And then he got sent back to GR,
For who? For Erne? Erne's been pretty much useless. His main contribution tonight was a stupid penalty, after he coughed up the puck on a PP, that caused a huge goal against.

Erne. On the ****ing powerplay.
While Svechnikov is in Grand Rapids.

And then we dump Svech even further down the ****ing depth list by trading for Perlini. Four games in, Perlini looks like a guy who can't make an NHL team.

And now, Fabbri.

Frankly, I thought Svechnikov earned a ****ing job with his exhibition season.
Yet, somehow, on this ****hole team, he's falling even further down the depth charts.

Maybe he's just not that good. His stride is choppy.
But god damn, I'd have loved to spent these last 15 games finding out, rather than adding all these rejects from other teams.

And Again.... who cares where Svechnikov plays? I don't care that he isn't on the NHL roster. What is the point honestly.

Look we have roster spots in the NHL roster, lets take some home run gambles in those spots. Svechnikov we can keep in the AHL. Lets use that.

At least he's making moves! LOL

Oh wait, that's not how this works. Good to see fans are sill living in the honeymoon phase with Stevie

I do not know what you expect out of Yzerman if you do not like these moves. You want him to acquire a player with way more upside? Than you better start looking at Cholo/Hronek/AA/Bertuzzi and pieces you are willing to move out.

You willing to move those players out???

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I really hope you guys win this trade Fabbri seems like a pretty good dude with really bad injury luck, The kids can still play, just have to clean up his defensive assignments away from the puck. He seems to lose his guy often, but you will see some flashes of his rookie year when he quickly became a fan favorite.

You guys got as good one and have the roster to give him the playing time he needs

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't see Svech ever becoming an important piece on this team, so it's irrelevant where he plays. Maybe he'll end up being a good bottom 6 player or a bad top 6 player on a bad team. Svech seems to have gotten the new mantle of other past Red Wings players who 'never got a chance', players like Jan Mursak and Jurco. Brendan Smith was never used properly, but he apparently sucks every where he goes.

I'm glad Yzerman is trying things, not sure I see why it would be better to play Svech just because of the principle. Yzerman didn't draft Svech, so not sure why he should care that some fans think Svech is owed something.

As for the Fabbri trade, I love it. Fabbri has a tremendous amount of talent and hopefully he can stay healthy and maximize on the opportunity.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
STL wouldn't trade the kid away for JDLR if they believed he had a shot to come back even 80% his pre-injury form. This is STL getting a fourth liner for him and Yzerman taking a very long shot on the kid - who needs a good 4th liner on a really bad team anyways. I get why Yzerman made the trade, but don't expect it to pay off in any appreciable way.

Even so, a very long shot on getting something good is better than a 0% shot on getting a future piece. DLR is literally no different as a player than a half-dozen guys we have on the line at GR who could come up and be "defensive fourth liners."

Where we are sitting, this is the type of move you make. Will it amount to anything? Probably not. But keeping DLR definitely would not have amounted to anything. I can't believe that there is somehow anyone who looks at this and is like "Oh man, this is a really bad move." For as "good" DLR was defensively... how many games in a row did we just give up 5 GA+? I mean, you're not talking Kris Draper or even Kirk Maltby here. DLR was a free asset with a tiny contract. You want to pin your hopes on a 6% chance that we get the 1OA (if we finish like 6th) or anything like that with the lottery... tiny percentages. But when it comes to taking a shot at literally anything else? Oh man, there is only a 10% chance that this trade works out or back when we were in the playoffs, "oh, the lower seeded team only wins 11% of the time", those percentages are anathema to you, but the miniscule chance of landing the 1OA, oh buddy, oh buddy, I'm all atwitter about the single digit chance at that ****.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad