Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Robby Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like this trade, feels pretty low risk, worth taking a shot on a guy like Fabbri who was pretty highly regarded as a draft pick and in his first couple years. I liked DLR but I think he's replaceable. Do I wish they could have traded someone like Nielsen instead? Yes, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

It feels a little disingenuous to act like he's just your standard 23 year old prospect who's been playing in the AHL for a few years waiting for his shot and not mention that he missed the entirety of last season. Can you really blame the Red Wings if they want to be a little cautious with him this year?

I think the only thing disingenuous is pretending the Wings are acting "cautious" with Svechnikov.
You want to ignore the fact that the Red Wings now have 4 newish 23 year old wingers playing ahead of Svechnikov - be my guest.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So we agree,
Yzerman has moved on past Svech.

The difference is, you think that's OK.

I'm not there yet.

I don't see why we wouldn't give him a real shot?
What did we have it. to lose?
A shot at Erne? A shot at Perlini?
More opportunity for Taro ****ing Hirose?

If we'd given Svech the first 15 games of the season playing 12 minutes a night, and he sucked, I'd agree sending him back down to GR.

I don't have a problem with the Fabbri for DLR trade on value.
I don't have a problem with Fabbri.

I have an issue with Fabbri, Erne and Perlini, in succession.

Frankly, Erne and Perlini have been horse****. No skill. No value. I sure as hell hope that Fabbri bucks the trend.

I don't think this means anything until Svech is out of the organization. It's going to be a revolving door or players this year (and probably next year). I'd rather get rid of Helm and Abdelkader and play Svech, but that isn't going to happen.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Is there any chance that a good defensive forward can get EVEN BETTER defensively?
Or maybe a defensive forward develops an offensive game?

They are the same age. They have an equal chance to improve

No, they don't. One showed a high skill level and had big time injuries that derailed him.
The other has scored about 10 points a year.

For DLR to have massive potential left, he'd have to do something he's never once shown his entire career.
For Fabbri to have massive potential, he just needs to heal up and not be hurt.

I mean, what the hell. Sure, you shouldn't just write off any player due to age. But Jacob De La Rose has been in the NHL for *6* years. If he had massive offensive upside... you would have thought that it would have made itself apparent over that time. Get your head out of your rear. No, Robby Fabbri probably isn't going to be a super super high level guy. But he has more NHL talent than Jacob De La Rose does. He was available because he's coming back from big time injuries and StL can't devote the time to heal him up and let him get back up to speed.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I think the only thing disingenuous is pretending the Wings are acting "cautious" with Svechnikov.
You want to ignore the fact that the Red Wings now have 4 newish 23 year old wingers playing ahead of Svechnikov - be my guest.
Okay, let me rephrase that then. I can't read the minds of Red Wings management so I don't know if that's what they're thinking. But I MYSELF would consider being cautious with Svechnikov, so I don't blame the Red Wings if that's what they are doing.

A 23 year old with very little NHL experience, who missed the entirety of last season following knee surgery. Should he be playing 10-15 minutes a night on a terrible NHL team? Or should he be in the AHL getting stronger, playing more minutes, on a potentially better team? The fact that opinions would vary on how to handle that is not shocking.

Reactions: kliq

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Color me shocked that the worst team in the league, who knew they were gonna be one of the worst, sent a guy who's waiver exempt down...

Must be because they've given up on him. :sarcasm:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Okay, let me rephrase that then. I can't read the minds of Red Wings management so I don't know if that's what they're thinking. But I MYSELF would consider being cautious with Svechnikov, so I don't blame the Red Wings if that's what they are doing.

A 23 year old with very little NHL experience, who missed the entirety of last season following knee surgery. Should he be playing 10-15 minutes a night on a terrible NHL team? Or should he be in the AHL getting stronger, playing more minutes, on a potentially better team? The fact that opinions would vary on how to handle that is not shocking.

If he can't play 10 minutes a night on a terrible team that could use his help, where can he play?

I guess I'd like to know, who the f*** looks at the Red Wings contracts and decides that we needed 3 wingers?

I don't care about DLR and Regula - two guys with no future. Value wise, I'm OK.
I just don't see much vision or strategy in these deals.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Because one guy has shown that he had offensive chops and his rookie season was on a level with Vladimir Tarasenko. The other is Jacob De La Rose who has 32 points spread over several seasons.
Just from the 2014 1st round: Bennett, Fiala, Kempe, Perlini, Ho-Sang, Mccann all had 1st or 2nd years where they were looking "Better than Tarasenko"...and then they followed a predictable development curve once roles were expected to increase and teams gave them a little attention...just like Fabbri

Tell me a material difference between Dominic Turgeon and Jacob De La Rose, I dare you.
Well, this is just the same thing we've been hearing for years: "Bring up (Sproul, Oullett, Almquist, Smith, Backman, Russo), there's no way he is worse than (Ericsson, Dekeyser, Quincey, Kronwall)"
Hint: They were worse. Way, way, worse

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Just from the 2014 1st round: Bennett, Fiala, Kempe, Perlini, Ho-Sang, Mccann all had 1st or 2nd years where they were looking "Better than Tarasenko"...and then they followed a predictable development curve once roles were expected to increase and teams gave them a little attention...just like Fabbri

Well, this is just the same thing we've been hearing for years: "Bring up (Sproul, Oullett, Almquist, Smith, Backman, Russo), there's no way he is worse than (Ericsson, Dekeyser, Quincey, Kronwall)"
Hint: They were worse. Way, way, worse

You are full of some the worst hot takes I have ever heard today.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't think this means anything until Svech is out of the organization. It's going to be a revolving door or players this year (and probably next year). I'd rather get rid of Helm and Abdelkader and play Svech, but that isn't going to happen.

Right.
We didn't need to move Helm or Abby to have room for Svech.
Besides, those are PK types. And that's not Svech.
Svech's role is a top 9 winger with, hopefully, powerplay time.
The roles currently employed by Hirose, 23, Erne, 23, Perlini, 23 and perhaps Fabbri, 23.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
If he can't play 10 minutes a night on a terrible team that could use his help, where can he play?
You completely misunderstood me. Of course he could play 10 minutes a night on the Red Wings this year. I was saying I can see arguments both ways (playing on DRW vs. playing on GRG) as to what would actually be best for him as a player. You think he should be in the NHL, I don't think it'd be so bad for him to be in AHL a good part of this year.

I was actually not a big fan of the Erne trade this summer but I'm fine with both these in-season trades.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right.
We didn't need to move Helm or Abby to have room for Svech.
Besides, those are PK types. And that's not Svech.
Svech's role is a top 9 winger with, hopefully, powerplay time.
The roles currently employed by Hirose, 23, Erne, 23, Perlini, 23 and perhaps Fabbri, 23.

Does it get old having these pet project players of yours that you advocate for endlessly only to see them flame out and do virtually nothing on other rosters, too? If they show even the slightest bit of life on another team, you go, "See! I knew it." And if they flame out, as 95% do, you have a built in, "Babcock Blashill ruined their development! I knew it."

Svech isn't some diamond in the rough. He's a middle 1st pick that flashed some skill as a teenager but hasn't demonstrated elite anything yet in all his years since. The high end skill would have come through ages ago. He's going to be lucky to carve out a career as a journeyman scoring winger because by your own admission he's not a "PK type." Well, guys that don't PK and aren't really good at scoring are basically a coaching nightmare because they are sucking up room on rosters.

You're going to have to accept Yzerman took a long look at Svech and said, "I'm going to try other options, too."

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
We added a guy that has 8 points in his last 51 NHL games.

We also have the most goals against in the league.
You aren't trading for 8 points in 51 games. You're trading for his potential.

You tell me what defenseman DLR could have gotten that would fix it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Does it get old having these pet project players of yours that you advocate for endlessly only to see them flame out and do virtually nothing on other rosters, too? If they show even the slightest bit of life on another team, you go, "See! I knew it." And if they flame out, as 95% do, you have a built in, "Babcock Blashill ruined their development! I knew it."

Svech isn't some diamond in the rough. He's a middle 1st pick that flashed some skill as a teenager but hasn't demonstrated elite anything yet in all his years since. The high end skill would have come through ages ago. He's going to be lucky to carve out a career as a journeyman scoring winger because by your own admission he's not a "PK type." Well, guys that don't PK and aren't really good at scoring are basically a coaching nightmare because they are sucking up room on rosters.

You're going to have to accept Yzerman took a long look at Svech and said, "I'm going to try other options, too."

My point is there to see, without any insults or personal criticisms or other ad hominem BS.

And I'm perfectly good with criticism of Svech.

What I'm not good is burying the kid in the AHL to look at every other team's hand-me-downs.

Why take on Perlini, Erne and Fabbri - all guys at basically the same point in their career as Svech, before you see what you've got in Svech.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

No, because then it gives him and the people that get like that on guys a chance to be right!

And Re: Svechnikov... looking like the best player or a better player than guys on this roster isn't a glowing recommendation for getting more time. I don't want guys who "well, they're better than this guy who we know is inexorably ****ty". The Wings have shown time and again if you are a player who forces the issue with your play (Larkin, Rasmussen, Matheiu Dandenault back in the day, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.), you'll get on the big roster. If you're okay and maybe you're better than the 14th forward or 7th defenseman on the roster, you're going to wait your turn. They've got to have a rock solid reason other than "I'm 22, that ****ty veteran is 34 and we play about the same,you should play me"

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We aren't expecting a guy "better than Tarasenko", we are expecting a guy better than DLR.

The bar is ridiculously lower.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why take on Perlini, Erne and Fabbri - all guys at basically the same point in their career as Svech, before you see what you've got in Svech.

They saw, dude. They've watched him for years in the AHL and said, "Eh."

Until he's off the roster he's not dead yet, but every team in the league has a former 1st rounder floating around not quite good enough to roster routinely but not quite good enough to give up on yet entirely.

As for the rest of it, it's hard to ignore when you shoehorn in these topics into every post. We get a new player and rather than focus the discussion on that...your first reaction is to go, "What about the guy I advocate for?" in this thread and then make a new thread. Tale as old as Mursak.

And how's Marchenko rolling? It was Babcock holding him back from what I remember, but in a turn of beautiful irony - Babcock is the only NHL coach that ever wanted to give him any ice time.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Why in the world would somebody be concerned about Erne obstructing the prospect pipeline, let alone go along with it as a narrative?

I'll withhold too much judgement on Perlini, but Erne is one of the worst players I've seen in Detroit.

Erne and Svechnikov are on drastically different development planes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No, because then it gives him and the people that get like that on guys a chance to be right!

And Re: Svechnikov... looking like the best player or a better player than guys on this roster isn't a glowing recommendation for getting more time. I don't want guys who "well, they're better than this guy who we know is inexorably ****ty". The Wings have shown time and again if you are a player who forces the issue with your play (Larkin, Rasmussen, Matheiu Dandenault back in the day, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.), you'll get on the big roster. If you're okay and maybe you're better than the 14th forward or 7th defenseman on the roster, you're going to wait your turn. They've got to have a rock solid reason other than "I'm 22, that ****ty veteran is 34 and we play about the same,you should play me"

Those crappy veterans can at least be trusted on the PK. That's why they still have roster spots. The guys that don't PK, like Vanek, get booted first.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We aren't expecting a guy "better than Tarasenko", we are expecting a guy better than DLR.

The bar is ridiculously lower.

A bit off-topic but - Speaking of Tarasenko, there's serious concerns his shoulder will never be 100% again. Which stinks, because he's one of the most exciting players in the league and he's only 27.

RobR

Nov 16, 2018
Why would the Blues do this? I don't get it from their perspective?

Based on what you guys are saying about DLR, he fits in very well on our already very good 4th line. Fabbri had been asking for a trade and wouldn't have logged very many minutes, our offense is geared toward puck possession up and down the lines, that isn't Fabbri's game.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Fabbs in his first camp (in 2014) was ridiculous. He was sent back however, then that next year was a standout rookie, then in that 2016 playoffs I thought he was the Blues best forward...then after that it's all been injuries. If he can get his confidence back etc...this could be a score. I don't blame the Blues, they won. It's just a bad run here for Fabbri...he's a determined guy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
They saw, dude. They've watched him for years in the AHL and said, "Eh."

Until he's off the roster he's not dead yet, but every team in the league has a former 1st rounder floating around not quite good enough to roster routinely but not quite good enough to give up on yet entirely.

As for the rest of it, it's hard to ignore when you shoehorn in these topics into every post. We get a new player and rather than focus the discussion on that...your first reaction is to go, "What about the guy I advocate for?" in this thread and then make a new thread. Tale as old as Mursak.

And how's Marchenko rolling? It was Babcock holding him back from what I remember, but in a turn of beautiful irony - Babcock is the only NHL coach that ever wanted to give him any ice time.

I know you're not asking me... but Marchenko has basically been out of hockey since 16/17 according to hockeyreference. Maybe he's playing back home in Russia and they don't have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad