Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

What about Bowler dealing for Sbrocca?

Local kid, drafted by Oshawa and playing for LaSalle?

I think he's dropping down Oshawa's depth chart, has at least a couple of exhibition games in the league so he probably doesn't push for a full time roster spot but becomes available in case the need ever comes up again.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So bob going to make this deal?
Always trying to deal the younger talent?

Did you read the post or just have a pre-typed reply ready to go?

What about Bowler dealing for Sbrocca?

Local kid, drafted by Oshawa and playing for LaSalle?

I think he's dropping down Oshawa's depth chart, has at least a couple of exhibition games in the league so he probably doesn't push for a full time roster spot but becomes available in case the need ever comes up again.

If it's done at a reasonable price, maybe with conditions, then it's not a bad option.

member 71782

Did you read the post or just have a pre-typed reply ready to go?

If it's done at a reasonable price, maybe with conditions, then it's not a bad option.

He's a 6th or 7th round pick with potential but losing his spot in Oshawa. I can't see much more than Oshawa recouping their investment, no conditions required.

Just to stir the pot maybe Bowler surprises with something bigger with Oshawa and gets him as a throw in.

member 71782

That's not what I said, but ok...

This intrigues me. Question is - who buys and who sells?

Oshawa bidding to host will be selling a few more big pieces and are already loaded with youth and picks. They need to compete this year while showing a roster for next year.

In any deal with Windsor, they're buying, Windsor selling.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Oshawa bidding to host will be selling a few more big pieces and are already loaded with youth and picks. They need to compete this year while showing a roster for next year.

Agreed.
Windsor will be selling in that scenario.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Would Windsor be able to pry Tullio away? He's an 02, though mighty talented.

member 71782

Would Windsor be able to pry Tullio away? He's an 02, though mighty talented.

No. At least not this year or next since he's the owners son but if Windsor were the favourite in 21/22 he might be able to be convinced that year for a second run.

I doubt it would happen but if Windsor trades for a goaltender with familiarity with the league who doesn't disrupt the current tandem Sbrocca would be an inexpensive add.

For Oshawa who will do what they did last year, move some big graduating pieces but look to remain competitive adding a couple of top tier/second tier players, 01s and an 00 who should return as an OA Afanasyev and Angle would look good, especially if they are still in on Tomasino.

They have about a dozen 2nds or so and the ability to add four or five more. Adding those three players keeps them extremely competitive, still leaves them post deadline with probably close to ten 2nds and a couple more players that are potentially trade bait next year.

It's a win both ways with Windsor adding a bunch of picks, plus conditions on some and a couple of 02 born players as well.

Windsor loaded up more for 21/22 but in great shape next year as well while Oshawa still looks very good this year and extremely loaded for next year as well.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The one player I could see them moving, mainly because his value is so high, is Angle. Do you consider a package centered around Angle and Brett Harrison (Osh 1st 2019)?

Windsor should be listening to all offers. Windsor should be open to listen to any deals considering their vets. Nothing wrong with listening.

Reactions: m2m

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The one player I could see them moving, mainly because his value is so high, is Angle. Do you consider a package centered around Angle and Brett Harrison (Osh 1st 2019)?
I also believe Windsor should be looking into selling high on Corcoran. I believe Vegas will offer him a contract and he’ll play in their system next year.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Angle would get some interest from some contenders. He has some Memorial Cup experience and has been playing well. Ottawa or Peterborough could be some targets. Curious what his asking price would be ?

member 71782

Angle won't return a first rounder. Angle and Afanasyev might in the right deal but if there was a deal with Oshawa and they are still in on Tomasino as has been rumoured since the deadline last year I would think Niagara would be his destination.

If there were an Oshawa deal to be had, again, this was just to stir the pot with you a bit so not suggesting there could be one but I would hope to see something like this

To Oshawa

(00) Angle - likely back for an OA year.
(01) Afanasyev - looking more like he could return next year, particularly in a situation where he would be on a top contender/guaranteed Memorial Cup appearance. Oshawa adding Tomasino wouldn't hurt either)

To Windsor

(02) Jesus - 6'3" left shot D who doesn't have a lot of points but probably projects more as a shutdown D, Windsor could use one of those.
(02) Gagnier - 5'11" LW (local kid) who hasn't put up a ton of points in 24 games but probably not playing a ton of top minutes.
(02) Matthew Sbrocca - G (local kid) currently playing in LaSalle. Would provide depth in goal, has some familiarity with the league but not likely a threat to the current tandem in Windsor.
WSR 2ND 2020, ERI 2ND 2022, GUE 2ND 2023
OSH 4TH 2022, OSH 4TH 2024
OSH 10TH 2023 - Pick is guaranteed but condition if Afanasyev returns next year pick becomes a 2ND and a 3RD in 2023
OSH 10TH 2024 - Pick is guaranteed but condition if Angle returns for an OA year pick becomes a 2ND in 2024

Oshawa gets a couple of solid players who should return next year, keeps them in the race this year while allowing them to move a couple of their big names this year to recoup even more players/assets. A sideways move for Oshawa much like they did last year.

Windsor continues to build around their 02s, adds to their draft pick stock and gives them options next year if they feel they can make a run next year with depth 02 players to use in deals. Gives them a third goaltender for depth at the position.

Do I think any of this will happen? No, just stirring the pot a bit but the only one that could make sense is a deal for Sbrocca this week since they need to do something and while Tovell is an option that's a big leap from JR C to Major JR. Making room for Sbrocca in LaSalle while not having a spot for Tovell there wasn't the smartest move but there's been a few moves like that this year that I won't go back into. The only way it makes sense to make room for Sbrocca is if they wanted to see how he looked incase they ever needed to make a quick deal for a third goaltender.

member 71782

I also believe Windsor should be looking into selling high on Corcoran. I believe Vegas will offer him a contract and he’ll play in their system next year.

Angle would get some interest from some contenders. He has some Memorial Cup experience and has been playing well. Ottawa or Peterborough could be some targets. Curious what his asking price would be ?

All three probably have similar value. Depending on if and who any players would be returned would determine their ultimate value.

Ottawa and Peterborough both make sense for all three, not all three together but two together would make sense.

A good to very good 02, a 2ND, a couple of 3RDs and a mid/late round pick conditional and upgraded if they return for OA years would make sense to me.

Peterborough - Butler, Spearing, McMullen would be nice additions.

Ottawa - Crete, Belanger would be solid additions.

All three are solid middle six/middle pairing depth with the ability to play up the roster as we've seen with the right linemates. Angle/Corcoran are both legitimate second line centres, Corcoran on a contender is a 3/4 Dman who can play in all situations for a contender that already has a true top pair.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not a huge fan of dealing Angle AND Afanasyev without getting a proven 02 back. That's giving up a major part of your offence, which has been your bread-and-butter.

Corcoran would return a fair bit; he's similar to Angle.

What if Windsor/Ottawa did something like...

To Windsor: Tolnai, Belanger, Ham 2nd 2020, Wsr 2nd 2022, Wsr 4th 2020
to Ottawa: Angle, Corcoran

Windsor gets a young kid with potential in Tolnai, a 2002-born D-man who's got upside, and three picks. Even throw in something conditional should Angle/Corc return.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

member 71782

I'm not a huge fan of dealing Angle AND Afanasyev without getting a proven 02 back. That's giving up a major part of your offence, which has been your bread-and-butter.

Corcoran would return a fair bit; he's similar to Angle.

What if Windsor/Ottawa did something like...

To Windsor: Tolnai, Belanger, Ham 2nd 2020, Wsr 2nd 2022, Wsr 4th 2020
to Ottawa: Angle, Corcoran

Windsor gets a young kid with potential in Tolnai, a 2002-born D-man who's got upside, and three picks. Even throw in something conditional should Angle/Corc return.

I would find it a bit light, not that I'm great at predicting returns.

I would do the following if Windsor was making moves for the future.

To Ottawa

Douglas/Corcoran

To Windsor

(02) Crete/(02) Belanger
OS 2ND 2021/KGN 2ND 22/OS 3RD 20/SBY 3RD 21/SAG 4TH 21/OTT 10TH 22 with the condition Douglas returns upgraded to a 3rd 22/OTT 10TH 23 with the condition Corcoran returns upgraded to a 3RD 2023

To Peterborough

Afanasyev/Angle

To Windsor

(02) Butler/(02) Spearing
MISS 2ND 20/SAR 2ND 20/PBO 2ND 22/NIA 3RD 22/PBO 3RD 23/PBO 10TH 23 with the condition Afanasyev returns in 2020 upgraded to a 2ND and 3RD 23/PBO 10TH 24 with the condition Angle returns for an OA season upgraded to a 2ND 24.

Windsor adds

Crete looks better than Tolnai at this point, Belanger is a right shot D who has been playing forward as well. Butler is a big RW who can score and Spearing is a solid left shot D with lots of upside.

5x 2NDS/4x 3RDS/1x 4ths/4x 10THS or upgraded to more 2NDS/3RDS depending on who if any are returned.

Angle/Afanasyev have the highest value which would be the upgraded return.

Individually each player would have more value in separate deals but in a package it's likely to get max value based on moving them all and better 02s in return. Any player Windsor moves needs to be replaced. Adding quality 02s, which all four of these players would be to one extent or another gives depth for our young kids as well as depth for future deals.

Windsor would come out of the deadline with 12x 2NDS/7x 3RDS/8x 4THS. Any excess picks for the 2020 draft would be available to flip for more picks down the line giving them an ongoing growing stash of picks for the next couple of years plus any conditional picks that are fulfilled would only add to it. If all went Windsor's way they would have a very deep 02 group plus the ability to do what they did in 08/09, push in early while still being a top contender in 2021/22. It sets them up for a multi year run with the picks to replenish young depth along the way.

Empty the cupboards this year for most likely a second round exit or something along the lines of what I suggested which gives them a multi year window without emptying the cupboard in any of those years.

Again, I'm not always great with values in deals but based on what is being discussed amongst other fanbases these should be within range unless the market completely drops out this year.

Reactions: LeProspector

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm still not sold on dealing Douglas and Afanasyev. You can deal Angle, and maybe Corcoran, without alienating the fans. If you deal all four, you're basically saying "We're good, but..." Then, next season, fans stay away because "we're good again, but they'll just deal the talents away."

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm still not sold on dealing Douglas and Afanasyev. You can deal Angle, and maybe Corcoran, without alienating the fans. If you deal all four, you're basically saying "We're good, but..." Then, next season, fans stay away because "we're good again, but they'll just deal the talents away."

U mean all the fans that r flocking to the games now?
They should make a few trades to better the team for the future. Even if a few fans dont like it. It be best for the team.
I dont see them doing very very much though.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

It's not like they're good right now has been selling out the building this year.

They can't half ass it one way or the other. While they would be moving some good players they will be adding some good players who likely keep them competitive this year, I still think they would be capable of fifth under those deals I suggested and with a full line up coming back, minus the OAs, an exciting, young group that should still do well and all return they actually have a promising product to sell next year instead of a team that probably exits in the second round, loses a couple of players on top of their OAs and will be looking like a team, with empty cupboards heading right back for more of the same the fans just witnessed for much of the last decade.

How much would keeping some combination of those four increase attendance this year?

How much would attendance drop next year if most of them are gone and the team's not in a position to replace them?

The rest of this year will be relying on mainly walk ups for increased attendance this year so that won't bring a lot more into the building on a nightly basis. If you can keep the level of competitiveness up this year while getting younger and add the assets needed to bolster the roster for a few years to go the fans have a consistent product to buy into.

Another benefit to getting these extra picks now is prices likely drop in 2021/22 when the four year draft pick trading rule is in place and the hosting duties are gone. Young, tradeable depth will be important when that happens as there will likely be less picks moving and a lot of teams looking for young talent after a host year to fill their roster.

Another benefit for next year is with North Bay struggling there's the chance a high end defected player comes into play as well and with a ton of picks in the bank Windsor would certainly be in a position to get in on the bidding.

One decent season with a down year following isn't likely to bring the fans back next year. The promise of a strong roster that will be able to compete for multiple years will get more people in the door then a team lacking assets and having to replace half their roster.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'd rather deal OAs who are guaranteed to not return, rather than 2000s. If you told me the team was dealing Angle, Corcoran, and Purboo, I could accept that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad