Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The last I heard was he wanted to be closer to home (GTA).

There are lots of scouts at every Spits game; this I know for a fact. If you've got a chance to get the all-time games played record, on a club that's doing just fine, why not stick around?

The all time games played record is a nice personal achievement I don't think it goes beyond that really. Kontos still lead the OHL in career GP?? He had a much better career than Boka. Craig Kennedy might be the last 5 year guy for the Spits he had a much better career than Boka. Like I said a nice personal achievement no reason to wax poetic about him though.

Reactions: LeProspector

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The fact that three (3) players in Spitfires' history have hit the 300 game mark would put him in elite company. We can downplay it because Boka's not an offensive stud, but we all know what he brings to the team. Given how much he puts his body on the line each game, the idea of him getting close to 300 games is kind of remarkable.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

There are lots of scouts at every Spits game; this I know for a fact. If you've got a chance to get the all-time games played record, on a club that's doing just fine, why not stick around?

He will get a small clap by the crowd.
And then back to hockey.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Boka has scored more goals than last year but lately there has been some regression to the mean. After his hatrick in the Soo putting him at 8 goals, he's had 1 goal in his last 11. After that hatrick he had a 30.7 shooting %. Since he has 1 goal on his last 17 shots. Down to 20.9% now which is a steep decline. Career shooting % 11.7. Career wise ignoring his 16 year old year, age 17 13.2%, age 18 11.5%, age 19 8.8%. He's pretty much on pace for close to the same amount of shots it wouldn't be a surprise to see another bit of a dip and even if he had a better than average year settling around 15% which would be around 19 goals. A lot of that depends on how Letowski deploys him as well though. He had that 3 goal game on 4 shots, he has 6 goals on 37 other shots this year. I think the latter is closer to his goal scoring ability.

Trevor will play him a lot.
He is his favorite.
Will be on the ice as "much" as physically possible.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

There are lots of scouts at every Spits game; this I know for a fact. If you've got a chance to get the all-time games played record, on a club that's doing just fine, why not stick around?...
Sure there are lots of scouts now. The point I was trying to make was IMHO the Spits will be watching most of the playoffs on the TV or from the stands. Don't get me wrong but Boka plays his heart out and would be better off playing on a better team. I'm still of the opinion this team will finish in the 5th-6th range when all is said and done....

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
BB will be talking to the teams who own players rights for the nhl. If there’s any indication a player might be heading to the pros next year he’s gotta try and move that player. Now from what I’ve seen this team could contend next year that will help keep guys here. Frankly I’m not sure any player here now is a must move to pro. Another year of jr won’t hurt any of them. Veirling has left the team and said he wants closer to home.... really hasn’t been put on the trade market yet.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
BB will be talking to the teams who own players rights for the nhl. If there’s any indication a player might be heading to the pros next year he’s gotta try and move that player. Now from what I’ve seen this team could contend next year that will help keep guys here. Frankly I’m not sure any player here now is a must move to pro. Another year of jr won’t hurt any of them. Veirling has left the team and said he wants closer to home.... really hasn’t been put on the trade market yet.

I think in a vacuum that's all nice but we are also dealing with every CHL team being at the mercy of an NHL team and things can change daily. A month ago nobody thought Peters/Montgomery/Babcock would be out of a job. Things can change on a dime that's why Bowler needs to trust his own instincts. Considering none of the 00's are signed yet that's up to Bowler to how much he values that. Throw in the fact the AHL isn't the only option you can drop a guy into the ECHL as well. You say another year of junior won't hurt them but how do we know that it will help them though???

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Another year of junior can help IF the team is competitive. It'll provide more games against the elite of the leagues, which can't hurt a player. I'd imagine an NHL team is more likely to send Douglas/Corcoran/Angle back (should they not be dealt) if the Spitfires are going for a long playoff run. If the Spitfires were in full rebuild mode, those guys are ECHL-bound at worst.

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Another year of junior can help IF the team is competitive. It'll provide more games against the elite of the leagues, which can't hurt a player. I'd imagine an NHL team is more likely to send Douglas/Corcoran/Angle back (should they not be dealt) if the Spitfires are going for a long playoff run. If the Spitfires were in full rebuild mode, those guys are ECHL-bound at worst.

I don't think NHL teams care about that nearly as much as fans of that CHL team. If that was the case Arizona should have had Fischer stay in Windsor since they were hosting the Memorial Cup. Detroit should have let Zadina play with Halifax last year instead of Grand Rapids. These were examples of players being guaranteed of playing in a Memorial Cup. There is no guarantee of a team going on a long playoff run.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Since no back up has been named officially yet, maybe they'll dress Boka lol. He does block shots well and would get 60 min of ice. Lewts would be happy. Just joking, but really whoever it is it would be nice for at least some practice time. Game day is 2 days away.

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think NHL teams care about that nearly as much as fans of that CHL team. If that was the case Arizona should have had Fischer stay in Windsor since they were hosting the Memorial Cup. Detroit should have let Zadina play with Halifax last year instead of Grand Rapids. These were examples of players being guaranteed of playing in a Memorial Cup. There is no guarantee of a team going on a long playoff run.

The question wasn't whether they WILL keep them, but could a final year of junior benefit them. Yes, it could, with the increased playing time and competition. When Sergachev was returned in 2016, the Habs said coming back to Juniors for another year would be great for him. Not every team will do that but there are certainly benefits.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Since no back up has been named officially yet, maybe they'll dress Boka lol. He does block shots well and would get 60 min of ice. Lewts would be happy. Just joking, but really whoever it is it would be nice for at least some practice time. Game day is 2 days away.
Likely not named publicly yet but I'm sure they are aware who and as you suggest is probably already practicing with the team.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Totally agree.

NHL teams will make their decisions on any given player after the summer.Not at this years OHL deadline. So much can change for an 18/19 yr old or an organization in 8 months.
And as you pointed out, "potential" long PO runs slant their thinking minimally. Bowler will need to trust his gut (or the direction of ownership)

Any 1 moved out this year in theory could be replaced next year if needed with acquired assets. No Alisters (Hall, Ellis et al) among those often mentioned here. Not perfect but gives the org more flexibilty if moved at this deadline

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think NHL teams care more about development than PO runs. Where any player fits in as far as how to best develop is open to opinion. So many pros and cons to weigh and no cookie cutter solutions

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
GOJHL LaSalle Vi

I wonder what it'd cost to get Sbrocca here?

Local kid from Windsor, Oshawa 7th rounder initially. I would hope no more than a 5th round pick. Hard to say now that all the GM's know were in a bind. Its kind of funny how Junior B & C teams have at least 3 goalies yet the Spits have been down this path too many times being pinched in goaltending depth. Maybe with WR's blessing we could borrow Molu from Barrie and trade him back straight up after the condundrum is over.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Something they should of done awhile ago. Just in the nic of time. Lol

The fact he was playing in Lakeshore 5-1/2 hours from his home in Shannonville, half hour or so from Kingston where he played his hockey before being drafted by Windsor in the U18 draft tells me this was all planned prior to anything going on with Piironen re Jr tryouts with his National team,may have been signed back 2 months ago,just not announced, who knows,I figured something was up when he suited up for Lakeshore

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This could have easily been a summer decision. If you're not in their plans, you don't move 6-7 hours away to play Jr C. He'd have gone home. The team seemed to have an interest and the best way to watch him, in case of this situation, is keeping him close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->