Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Rayzor using Fischer isn’t a proper comparison like you always like to call others out on!! The kid played one year and was never comfortable here it’s well known he wouldn’t be back. Hate to burst your bubbles guys but pro teams are well aware in most cases but not all who will be available to them and at what level. Most ohl eligible kids get the ability to come back. There are a few variations, some kids insist on leaving, some need the pay check. For the most part tho a fairly reasonable opinion can be formed for where that guy will play. The fact most aren’t even signed adds to the likelihood. Personally I’d think maybe Affy moves, but his play doesn’t dictate it happening.

member 71782

Where does any potential ownership/management/coaching changes play into this year's deadline?

I would imagine this group learned their lesson from last year that until things are set you don't hand over control of the future of your team.

How far along is any of this? Is it still more about speculation/rumour/possibility or have things progressed enough where the formalities just need to be finished off?

If this is getting close, close enough where the current group has no interest in investing beyond what is absolutely required or is there still a long ways to go? If I'm a new owner waiting in the wings looking to make my own mark I would want the dirty work done and the pieces in place to realize my own vision instead of coming in to pick up the pieces and cutting bait on those who would have been better moved previously. If I can go into a new era with a short start up time and lots of pieces to work with I take that over a half empty cupboard, vets that don't fit the future vision and picks/youth left on the table by the previous group. If a new group is happy with what's in place then I can see them wanting to stand pat but if they would be considering management/coachng changes when they took over they would also likely want a fresh start across the board as well.

Again, I hope this current group learned their lesson, they don't want to put themselves in a situation where they leave themselves holding the bag for not g3etting things right, again. At the same time if this is still a possibility going forward in the very near term I would hope everything is in place now with only the rubber stamping needed to finish things off.

As for NHL drafted players and potential NHL free agents you can't run your business based on hopes. Yes there has to be calculated risks and communication with those who hold the rights to players on your team take place on an ongoing basis be it with the NHL team's managers or the scouts keeping an eye on those players at the games. They'll always have feedback coming at them but in the end until September/October roll around there are no definite answers as to who will return beyond those OAs that you know will graduate. It's not just about what the NHL teams want but it's also about running your business and while there is crossover there also has to be some understanding of the independence required to stay in business when assessing what's best for your investment.

Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windosr Star says Tovell was looking to play in Brockville but, when they had three goalies, Bowler pointed him to Belle River. He's been working with Perry Wilson, too.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If I'm a new owner waiting in the wings looking to make my own mark I would want the dirty work done and the pieces in place to realize my own vision instead of coming in to pick up the pieces and cutting bait on those who would have been better moved previously.

I'd be the opposite - take the club as is and make my own mark. If that means dealing some NHL prospects away to get younger, so be it. I know they're my picks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor using Fischer isn’t a proper comparison like you always like to call others out on!! The kid played one year and was never comfortable here it’s well known he wouldn’t be back. Hate to burst your bubbles guys but pro teams are well aware in most cases but not all who will be available to them and at what level. Most ohl eligible kids get the ability to come back. There are a few variations, some kids insist on leaving, some need the pay check. For the most part tho a fairly reasonable opinion can be formed for where that guy will play. The fact most aren’t even signed adds to the likelihood. Personally I’d think maybe Affy moves, but his play doesn’t dictate it happening.

Legend was whining how Spits were dealt a bad hand with Fischer not returning. Can't have it both ways. The point remains NHL teams care more about how that player fits in their organizational culture than playing for a team that might make a playoff run. I have a hard time believing a CHL team would gamble a player returning in case they might contend next year when there isn't even a guarantee of that happening.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
This could have easily been a summer decision. If you're not in their plans, you don't move 6-7 hours away to play Jr C. He'd have gone home. The team seemed to have an interest and the best way to watch him, in case of this situation, is keeping him close.

R u stating this as a fact or just spit balling?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Legend was whining how Spits were dealt a bad hand with Fischer not returning. Can't have it both ways. The point remains NHL teams care more about how that player fits in their organizational culture than playing for a team that might make a playoff run. I have a hard time believing a CHL team would gamble a player returning in case they might contend next year when there isn't even a guarantee of that happening.

I was more upset Fischer was sent to AHL rather then play all season with the big club at the time,only spent 7 games with Arizona,had a decent 1st year with Arizona,has struggled alot in almost the last year and a half,that being said,it worked out just fine for Windsor that season, having to trade for Jeremy Bracco and he winds up playing great at Mem Cup,sets up Cup winning goal by Luchuk,and for the third time in 3 times,when missing a player early to NHL,1st time Josh Bailey, 2nd time Andrei Loktionov, and then Fischer they still won great accomplishments that no OHL can match.

member 71782

I'd be the opposite - take the club as is and make my own mark. If that means dealing some NHL prospects away to get younger, so be it. I know they're my picks.

I'm going to guess you've never been involved with taking over an ongoing operation that you would be rebranding to fit your vision before.

If you have an ownership group currently on a soft footing with the fans it's easier for them to move out current vets, especially if any are fan favourites since they won't be around for the potential fall out the following season. A new group coming in and immediately start moving out fan favourites just when the team appears to be coming back to respectability would cost them fans on day one.

Any new group would want to make their mark, that's a given and when your starting the easiest way is to have a clean slate and assets to get you off to a running start. Carrying over players that aren't in your plans slows you down, especially when potential value is lost and cannot be recovered so they start with fewer assets.

If fan support is an issue now a new ownership group does usually get a bump the question is how big of a bump they get? Like I said if they have to play the bad guys by moving out the fan favourites in year one that won't be returning and take the team back a step or two they won't get much of a bump. If the team takes the hit this year, gives them future added value to start with they come in with fan support that has lowered expectations for the first year or two. With the added assets it allows them to generate excitement from the start without having to play the bad guys. A good young core in place, extra assets to add from the start, potential new management/coaching all creates a revived buzz around the team. Going into the season with a previous groups vision, limited assets leads to limited early success and potentially a further deterioration of the fan support.

It's easier to set your vision with a clean slate then it is to have to clear the slate.

Now before you throw out something that makes no sense. no, you don't get rid of the top young talent with a couple of years of eligibility left, you move on from the vets. The young talent sets the new foundation, the extra assets solidifies it and provides the potential for excitement since you are set up for an early run instead of having to finish off what someone else started then go right into the tank.

Any potential changes likely play a part in the deadline this year. How far along things are will determine how that plays out but as I said I hope the current group has learned their lesson. If this a possibility that's far from complete they have to follow their plans as if it's not going to go through. If it's a probability that just needs the final rubber stamp put on it, nothing that would give cause for concern like last time then you allow the new group their influence.

If you're buying a building for a restaurant and want to go with a particular theme do you wait for the current owner to renovate it to something completely different than what you want? it doesn't change the cost you're putting out for them, may even increase it but it also increases the cost to you when you have to rip it all out just to start over again. If they are willing to renovate to your liking, at an additional cost you pay for the work to be done as long as you have full input and control.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A new group coming in and immediately start moving out fan favourites just when the team appears to be coming back to respectability would cost them fans on day one.

You're going to annoy the fans no matter what you do in that case. If Bowler moves the talents out now, in order to stock the cupboard for the next in line, fans will be irritated because the team is doing well this season. At least if the new guys come in, it's after any run this season and there's a little justification for dealing those who may not return.

When Rychel took over, he moved a bunch of guys out and there wasn't much backlash. It seemed to have worked for the better, too.

Don't get me wrong - I understand the idea of moving forward now, but it's not a concept that I'd do if I was GM. The new guys will likely be scrutinized by the fans no matter what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad