Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Any word on who will be the backup for Medina? Even if Piiroinen goes to camp and doesn't make it, we'll still need a second goaltender for a couple of weeks.

Would not be surprised if Spits sign goalie Matt Tovell a 17 year old playing for Lakeshore JR C,he attended the Spits training, and I felt of the 4 goalies there excluding Piironen who didn't participate because his equipment didn't come in from Finland when he did,was the best one at camp.
He was chosen in the -18 draft this past spring by Windsor, having a great season average of 1.08 through 13 games and a .943 save percentage.He is 6'2"-185 lbs.
Both goalies playing for LaSalle are owned by other OHL teams hence the Lakeshore option.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I like the Tovell option; no pressure on the kid, local, and he's certainly putting up the numbers.

No pressure for sure.
Different league ohl is from where he playing now.
But would be a great experience for him.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I like the Tovell option; no pressure on the kid, local, and he's certainly putting up the numbers.

Other then the local team he is playing for,Tovell isn't local from Shannonville Ontario,played his hockey in Kingston.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Game notes - Nice win, amused every time Joey B the Saginaw announcer commented on how good the Spits defense was. He must not read these boards enough.
Also need to remember that Saginaw had a number of players out of the line-up last night. I believe 5 regulars. Spits played real well and took advantage of this and did not play down to their opposition which was nice to see.

Rupoli - I was really impressed with him last night. He was on the PK and maybe not regular shifts but drew some tough assignments and did not look out of place. He is more than worth what they gave up for him. New team and getting to play on D more has brought him to life a bit. Have to give Bowler credit on this one.

Douglas - what a difference from last year. Totally engaged , still struggles to stay up on his feet but there is no end to his effort to get into the play. Also saw 2 nice hits from him. Needs to do that every game so players will keep looking up when he is on the ice.

Piiroinen - starting to look confident out there. Maybe not tested that much but he did make some tough screened shots on the pk which shows he is much better with the mechanics of the position. Does not have to report to Finland until Sunday so I'm wondering if he will play Thursday before he leaves? Likely won't see him back until the new year so this will be a good chance for Medina to settle in a bit and show his stuff.

Flint playing today in North Bay today so Spits will likely end up in 4th place with games in hand on everybody. Close to the holiday break and the Spits are hovering around the top of the conference who would have predicted that? Still not sure about which way to go re- trade deadline so I guess we wait and see what Bowler is up to.[/QUOTE
If he plays on Thursday, the earliest he could be in Helsinki is Saturday around noon. If he doesn't have to report until Sunday that is doable.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't know what his plans are but, if he can leave Friday and report Sunday without issues, that's impressive. The jetlag is pretty vicious (7hrs) and the flights alone drain you.

member 71782

I thought Thursday they said he was leaving today on the broadcast.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Kari supposed to leave today as per TV media, camp starts Saturday and remember the time change 7 hrs, so realistically camp will basically start late Fri night our time or 2am Sat morning.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Nothing has been made public yet. I would guess this week we find out. Either Tovell as legend suggested as a possibility or they deal for someone. I don't think any other prospects are in their plans going forward right now so I can't see anyone else from within being brought up.

Probably bring Tovell up for a couple of practices and see how he does to start the week and if they feel he can back up Medina they sign him to a B card, if not a deal by Wednesday would be my guess.

Windsor won't be the only team looking for a back up either. Guelph and Peterborough, if they have no one in the system will be looking as well.

Guelph and Peterborough already have 3 goalies carded on their rosters, still perplexed why the Spits have chosen to card only 2 goalies in the first place. There should have been someone at least playing Junior B. I thought when they traded for Jackson Bernard last year he would be their 3rd. But I am not sure what happened for him to go with the JR Bruins and not a second year with the Vipers this year. Maybe someone could please fill me in.

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

Guelph and Peterborough already have 3 goalies carded on their rosters, still perplexed why the Spits have chosen to card only 2 goalies in the first place. There should have been someone at least playing Junior B. I thought when they traded for Jackson Bernard last year he would be their 3rd. But I am not sure what happened for him to go with the JR Bruins and not a second year with the Vipers this year. Maybe someone could please fill me in.

This year and last the Spits seem to be only signing enough kids to fill a roster. Surprised when they signed a couple of extra kids and honestly if they had not been winning I doubt they would have dealt for Rupoli.

Doing things with as little investment as possible lately.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
This year and last the Spits seem to be only signing enough kids to fill a roster. Surprised when they signed a couple of extra kids and honestly if they had not been winning I doubt they would have dealt for Rupoli.

Doing as little as they possibly can.
Saving as much as possible.
Looks like the big idea of management.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
You hit the nail right on the head. Unless they are forced into it I suspect the Spits will tread water until Jan 10th.
Not that I blame them, it's their $$$ and if the rumors are true (that a deal is already done) why throw good money after bad.
Any deals that are made at the deadline will be (IMHO) for picks or to move players who want to be elsewhere.

member 71782

Interesting with all the rumors floating around none of the rumors seem to involve the Spits. Can't even get a feel for if we are selling or buying from these rumors. Maybe it is a good thing that Bowler is keeping this tight to the vest.

Tis the season, for the rumour mill to get cranked up.

For the kids, team cohesion etc it's good to see Bowler keeping a lid on things. Let them stay focused on the business at hand.

For those who like to speculate, looking for change or simply just curious as to what this team may look like post deadline, myself definitely included it really sucks.

It's hard to speculate when there's nothing floating to speculate about except personal thoughts on what direction different people would like to see them go.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Bowler has been tight-lipped since day one; nobody really saw the Staios deal coming! It's a change of pace from Rychel. Whether that's a good change or not, I don't know.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You hit the nail right on the head. Unless they are forced into it I suspect the Spits will tread water until Jan 10th.
Not that I blame them, it's their $$$ and if the rumors are true (that a deal is already done) why throw good money after bad.
Any deals that are made at the deadline will be (IMHO) for picks or to move players who want to be elsewhere.
I agree with the last part - why hold back any of the OA's if they want one last shot to run with a "go for it" team. It would also not make me upset if one or two of the 19 yr old players want that chance as well. Douglas came here after the Memorial Cup so he has really never had a shot at a run here so if he wants that - find him a deal. We will never know who requested a chance but I'm sure it would be obvious with any deal.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
BB isn’t very social, he isn’t in the bars, restaurants or at party’s. WR liked those places and he likes to talk so..... I’ve gotta be honest I’m hearing next to nothing, so he’s keeping the wraps on all personnel. The guys around the league aren’t hearing much either, the belief is he may sell at the deadline looking for picks and young players.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I thought we'd hear something by now regarding a replacement. I'm sure Lake shore wouldn't be thrilled with Tovell missing any action. The stats are result of a great team 14GP Tovell 1.15 GGA & .950 save% even more astonishing is their back up Liburdi, 7 GP unbeaten with a 0.43 GGA and a save% of .975. Either way it is a big step up going from Junior"C" to the OHL. I just don't us trading for a CHL playing goalie and then have 3 in the mix for the rest of the season after Kari returns. Bit of a cluster----- not already having a B goalie playing for your affiliate team. Same thing happened last year and Bowler has had to known for a while now from the Finland camp Kari was going to be invited.. Rumors back to Aug overseas on this. No real excuse to be handcuffed now. Saving $ is not what the fans deserve regardless of ownership ambitions in the future. A team with a bigger fan base and STH is worth a whole lot more than a popping some B card development fees.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
:laugh::laugh: like Johnston + 2nds + 3rd for a high-end 2001.

Wait, before you say "that'll never happen", I'm not saying it should. But, since W7 AND Rayzor want to join in on this, the least I can do is answer, right?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I thought we'd hear something by now regarding a replacement. I'm sure Lake shore wouldn't be thrilled with Tovell missing any action. The stats are result of a great team 14GP Tovell 1.15 GGA & .950 save% even more astonishing is their back up Liburdi, 7 GP unbeaten with a 0.43 GGA and a save% of .975. Either way it is a big step up going from Junior"C" to the OHL. I just don't us trading for a CHL playing goalie and then have 3 in the mix for the rest of the season after Kari returns. Bit of a cluster----- not already having a B goalie playing for your affiliate team. Same thing happened last year and Bowler has had to known for a while now from the Finland camp Kari was going to be invited.. Rumors back to Aug overseas on this. No real excuse to be handcuffed now. Saving $ is not what the fans deserve regardless of ownership ambitions in the future. A team with a bigger fan base and STH is worth a whole lot more than a popping some B card development fees.

Its all about the dollars. Lol

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
:laugh::laugh: like Johnston + 2nds + 3rd for a high-end 2001.

Wait, before you say "that'll never happen", I'm not saying it should. But, since W7 AND Rayzor want to join in on this, the least I can do is answer, right?

So bob going to make this deal?
Always trying to deal the younger talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->