Rumor: Wild looking to attach a young player to trade a bad contract?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He might not be completely terrible but his production value is... luckily the Wild don't have to really care about cap for the next year or two, so his contract isn't as bad as it would be on a lot of teams.
That’s the point. A lot of posters are trading Rask here when his contract isn’t the one they’re likely to move. I’m not defending Rask as a player, just saying if they’re giving up a young player to move out a contract it isn’t Rask’s.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That’s the point. A lot of posters are trading Rask here when his contract isn’t the one they’re likely to move. I’m not defending Rask as a player, just saying if they’re giving up a young player to move out a contract it isn’t Rask’s.
It’s also not Suter or Parise.
That leaves Spurgeon, who Guerin just signed, or Zuccarello, who Leipold just signed.

That’s why there’s a lot of doubt along Wild fans that this is true.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It’s also not Suter or Parise.
That leaves Spurgeon, who Guerin just signed, or Zuccarello, who Leipold just signed.

That’s why there’s a lot of doubt along Wild fans that this is true.
I'm sure they'd both be open to a move given the way things have gone so far. At 30 and 32 years old, why would they want to stay for a rebuild?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm sure they'd both be open to a move given the way things have gone so far. At 30 and 32 years old, why would they want to stay for a rebuild?

If Zuccarello and Spurgeon want out there’s no need to attach a young player to move them. They’ll have enough value on their own.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If Zuccarello and Spurgeon want out there’s no need to attach a young player to move them. They’ll have enough value on their own.
Oh, for sure. I'm sure Dallas is wanting Zuc back and Spurgeon has a ton of value.

Only guys who'd require a young player would be Rask or Suter. Parise is probably unmovable at this point.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Minnesota likely doesn't believe Suter is a bad contract, so that leaves Rask and Parise. Who else is there?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
96 pts last year, 44-30-8... winning team

Minnesota will not make the playoff so Suter could consider playing with Montreal.

why would a player leave his home to go to a place in another country that doesnt even have a good team? I could see him waiving for Winnipeg, Boston, Toronto, Colorado, and maybe a couple other teams. But I doubt all those teams would be able to take them on.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
why would a player leave his home to go to a place in another country that doesnt even have a good team? I could see him waiving for Winnipeg, Boston, Toronto, Colorado, and maybe a couple other teams. But I doubt all those teams would be able to take them on.

You said living to an other country: Winnipeg and Toronto are in Canada too.

Good team: 96 pts last year, good team for me... with young players

Reactions: Dale Best Goalie

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You said living to an other country: Winnipeg and Toronto are in Canada too.

Good team: 96 pts last year, good team for me... with young players

Players dont leave their home city and one theyve been in for a while for a team thats not very good and in a city that isnt all that great to play in. Toronto and Winnipeg would at least be contenders with him and close to home. I doubt Weber even wants to be in Montreal right now and im sure Suter would feel the same way.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Players dont leave their home city and one theyve been in for a while for a team thats not very good and in a city that isnt all that great to play in. Toronto and Winnipeg would at least be contenders with him and close to home. I doubt Weber even wants to be in Montreal right now and im sure Suter would feel the same way.

Come on... Weber. He's the captain, he want to be here.

And Montreal is a great city to play hockey...

Be serious. No more reply for me...

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Come on... Weber. He's the captain, he want to be here.

And Montreal is a great city to play hockey...

Be serious. No more reply for me...

Really? U think he would rather be in that circus over Nashville? Also whos the last relevant player to go to Montreal?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter is more than worth his salary. It's absurd to think that he needs a young player attached to him in order for him to be attractive as a trade target. For the teams on a budget, he'd be even more interesting, as the majority of his contract has already been paid out(he will be paid 18m over the final 5 years ), and only the Wild is responsible for cap recapture penalties(which has been said over and over, but apparently needs to be said again, in light of some of the comments here).

IMO, it makes no sense to trade him unless it's for something very good.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise and Suter - not going to happen because of recapture
Koivu - not a bad contract, wouldn't happen until the TDL if it does, and definitely wouldn't need a young player attached to induce
Staal - not a bad contract
Zuccarello - I'd like to say that 4 games doesn't make it "bad", but then again, other GMs didn't want to go to 5 years, so maybe it could qualify.
Rask - definitely qualifies but also definitely not a Boldy or Kaprizov sort of way
Spurgeon - I don't think Guerin has buyer's remorse this early

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad