Rumor: Wild looking to attach a young player to trade a bad contract?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Pardon my ignorance as I really don’t understand how it works but if Suter is trades would the new team be responsible for that or the team that gave him the contract
No, Minnesota would still be on the hook for all the "cap benefit" we've reaped from the front loaded contracts. At the moment that's around $19m, and would be spread out over however many years are remaining on the contract when he retires. So if he retires at 39 Minnesota would have $19m in dead cap in 2024-25.

No thanks.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No, Minnesota would still be on the hook for all the "cap benefit" we've reaped from the front loaded contracts. At the moment that's around $19m, and would be spread out over however many years are remaining on the contract when he retires. So if he retires at 39 Minnesota would have $19m in dead cap in 2024-25.

No thanks.

Ah, yeah. So trading that contract would be a foolish move

Thanks for responding with respect, sometimes that doesn’t happen on HF

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Trading away young talent to make cap space seems like the opposite of what a team in need of a rebuild should do.
There aren't even any contracts that meet the following criteria:

1.) Bad enough to be worth paying to jettison (Rask, Foligno, Zuccarello, Spurgeon)
2.) Don't expose the team to crippling penalties if the player retires (Parise and Suter)

I'm not saying that Lavoie is wrong, but if he's right I already have serious concerns about Guerin.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There aren't even any contracts that meet the following criteria:

1.) Bad enough to be worth paying to jettison (Rask, Foligno, Zuccarello, Spurgeon)
2.) Don't expose the team to crippling penalties if the player retires (Parise and Suter)

I'm not saying that Lavoie is wrong, but if he's right I already have serious concerns about Guerin.
We don’t have all the details yet. I would gladly pay a team Greenway to move out both Zuccarello and Spurgeon in the same deal :)

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Ah, yeah. So trading that contract would be a foolish move

Thanks for responding with respect, sometimes that doesn’t happen on HF

The recapture clause is a tricky beast - nobody should hesitate or feel they cant ask about it to get needed clarity.

It was a good question followed by a likewise response. Kudos to both of you.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I would think to some degree, it's just trying to generate a story. There aren't many trades at this time of year anymore, and the Wild are off to a terrible start. As was said, there aren't many teams that can just take a bad contract, without handing you back something that's fairly close to as bad, which wouldn't help Minnesota.

This is why teams don't rebuild at the drop of a hat; there's almost nothing you can do, except sit there and wait. It's the deadline, which is mostly UFA's, and then the draft, which tends to be more hype than anything else. For better or worse, the Wild are likely stuck with what they've got. Because of the cap, any sort of rebuilding is a slow, step by step process. Depending on how bad your contract situation is, it can stretch over many years where you're stuck with guys just cashing a check, with no guarantee that the time won't have been wasted.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Yeah there's no way this is happening. The Wild have nothing that is available that is worth trading with one of their bad contracts for a team to consider it. The only young players that any team would want with a terrible contract would be one of Kaprizov or Boldy and theres no way either of them get traded.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I can't believe people are talking about moving players like Zuccarello and Spurgeon. Take a look at their contracts, they both have a full NMC. Forget it.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they keep Zucc a little longer than most, but Staal (unless he requests a trade and wants to win elsewhere), Parise, Suter and likely Dubnyk are staying. Koivu either retires or signs elsewhere as a free agent. But I am convinced Spurgeon is staying.

I imagine Zucker, Brodin, Dumba, Rask, and Foligno are the guys they are going to try and trade for many assets. Zucc might be harder, or easier depending on which team could take him. Would say Fiala but his contract is an anchor for what it is.

I could see them making trades with the Devils, Avalanche, Red Wings, Ducks, maybe even the Leafs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think they keep Zucc a little longer than most, but Staal (unless he requests a trade and wants to win elsewhere), Parise, Suter and likely Dubnyk are staying. Koivu either retires or signs elsewhere as a free agent. But I am convinced Spurgeon is staying.

I imagine Zucker, Brodin, Dumba, Rask, and Foligno are the guys they are going to try and trade for many assets. Zucc might be harder, or easier depending on which team could take him. Would say Fiala but his contract is an anchor for what it is.

I could see them making trades with the Devils, Avalanche, Red Wings, Ducks, maybe even the Leafs.
Koivu waives and is traded a the deadline. Might return a 2nd+.

Staal doesn't have a choice and is traded at the deadline. Might return a 2nd.

Zucc moves if he wants to move, and he should want to move.

Spurgeon probably stays. *SIGH*

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

No thanks.

But how does trading him change anything?
If he retires it’s still the same right?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yeah they're gonna clear cap space to take on another bad contract like Zuccarello/Rask

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
that cap recapture thing gives a player a lot of influence if they felt like making demands. yeeesh.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i guess the next step would be, whom do Minny considers has a bad contract that they need to dump ??

as someone mention, only a couple of teams can make this kind of a trade.

this trade will need to be complicated with Minny needing to have a contract coming back.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The “cap benefit” is an ongoing counter, so as we move into the later years, the cap benefit goes down with the number of years left.

If we trade him, the cap benefit stops moving, staying at 19M.

Then, if he retires with one year left on his contract, we get hit with that 19M all in one year as a cap penalty.

If we keep him, and he retires with one year left, the cap benefit will only be 6M, so only a 6M penalty for that last year.

Reactions: Edgy

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Trading him makes it worse, mostly.

Once his contract hits the point that his actual salary < his cap hit, it deflates the cap benefit each year. This happens in the summer of 2021.

So, basically, between now and the summer of 2021 is the WORST POSSIBLE TIME to trade either Suter or Parise. Beyond that the recapture penalty deflates a little each year, until it's not so bad in 2024 or so.

There's no situation under which it's better to trade him than to buy him out or to LTIR him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad