Rumor: Wild looking to attach a young player to trade a bad contract?

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I think Minny should stop trading for a while and take a hard look at what they have. If they fail miserably they get a good pick in a good draft. Recent trades haven't been kind and it's starting to get to degenerate gambler stage: "just one more spin... luck is around the corner!"

If they have no chance at the playoffs they should sell at the deadline to bolster the future. But I'd stand pat until then.
Sooo Who the jets want at the deadline?:sarcasm:

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
And there'd be no point for Minny to it without getting a top piece. They aren't going to move Brodin for secondary pieces.

Plus, Rask is solely a buy-out candidate/AHL depth to Montreal. He's not supplanting Danault or Domi, each of Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki will see/likely need to see reps at center in the NHL now or in the not to distant future, and Thompson (and possibly Evans in the AHL) fit a 4th line C role at a better cost point.

Rask can at least serve a role for other teams (or even the Wild), he's entirely unnecessary for Montreal.

I don't think anyone wants Rask as a $4M fourth-liner. That greatly narrows the options to teams who intend on taking his contract and burying him or cutting him. So I think that actually favours Montreal, who as you said, won't even play him. But they have cap just sitting there, so why not?

This is like how they landed Armia. They took Mason to get him.

My feeling is that Brodin is a deadline trade candidate next season so I think Montreal would be willing to pay that price right now, but by taking Rask, they can subsidize it a bit. Maybe Minny doesn't want to dilute the Brodin return with Rask though.

If I were the Wild, I would just stand pat but the whole premise of the thread is that they want to shed contracts. All their big deals are tied to recapture and the worst contract after that seems to be Rask. As many have said, why attach a young player to a contract? They might end up trading Brodin anyways, so i think Montreal would be in on that right now.

I don't know how they feel about Staal but you could even take Rask and Staal in a Brodin deal. Staal can take Thompson's place on the 4th line.

They can throw in Pateryn instead of Staal if they want.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think anyone wants Rask as a $4M fourth-liner. That greatly narrows the options to teams who intend on taking his contract and burying him or cutting him. So I think that actually favours Montreal, who as you said, won't even play him. But they have cap just sitting there, so why not?

This is like how they landed Armia. They took Mason to get him.

My feeling is that Brodin is a deadline trade candidate next season so I think Montreal would be willing to pay that price right now, but by taking Rask, they can subsidize it a bit. Maybe Minny doesn't want to dilute the Brodin return with Rask though.

If I were the Wild, I would just stand pat but the whole premise of the thread is that they want to shed contracts. All their big deals are tied to recapture and the worst contract after that seems to be Rask. As many have said, why attach a young player to a contract? They might end up trading Brodin anyways, so i think Montreal would be in on that right now.

I don't know how they feel about Staal but you could even take Rask and Staal in a Brodin deal. Staal can take Thompson's place on the 4th line.

They can throw in Pateryn instead of Staal if they want.

Let me simplify this as much as possible:

Wild POV: Won't trade Brodin unless they get they get at least one top piece they can hopefully build around in the future.

Montreal POV: Won't give up a top piece if they have to take on a cap dump, especially if its a piece they don't need. I don't think they'd give up a top piece for Brodin regardless, but its certainly a possibility.

Its that simple. I'm also assuming top-piece is a top prospect because you haven't expanded on what you mean by what additional pieces you're talking about.

I'd also suspect that, even with negative value, some team would see Rask as an overpaid NHL piece.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Why do the Wild need cap space? They aren't currently cap strapped, and they don't have any RFA's that are going to command big money in the short term.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Haha! I'm not entirely convinced the Jets will be in the playoff picture, but if they are how could they not be interested in trying out Koivu down the middle for a run?
You already have little?!? seriously though how have we not gotten a outdoor game against each other? I'd love it! I would have thought the jets would be looking for D. I mean we've all seen bitetto trying to play hockey.

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
You already have little?!? seriously though how have we not gotten a outdoor game against each other? I'd love it! I would have thought the jets would be looking for D. I mean we've all seen bitetto trying to play hockey.

You’re right. Koivu had an extra year in on his contract I forgot about and with Little in the mix it would be too much $$$. The D can use help for sure but the Jets can’t afford any of the promising younger Wild, and probably not interested in the older guys.

And an outdoor game would be sweet. Bettman take note!

Reactions: nstarjim

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it wouldn’t be the worst idea to ask him to waive so we can move him. Maybe not now, but let’s be honest, this team isn’t going to get MORE competitive as we get closer to the expansion draft. Maybe at the deadline, maybe next summer.
It probably comes down to how this season goes, but I do think that he signed/was signed with expectations about where this team was headed for the next 3 years. If they're still in the bottom-5 at Thanksgiving I think both sides should be rethinking the arrangement.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Why do the Wild need cap space? They aren't currently cap strapped, and they don't have any RFA's that are going to command big money in the short term.
well i for one would like to gain cap space to be able to make an offer to hall. as far as rask i'd be willing to retain 2 mill just to save 2 mill. i think zuccarello would be willing to move back to dallas hopefully for 2-2nds and we would retain 1 million. parise has been rumored to want to go to a contender so maybe retain 2 million in exch for 2-2nds. that's what i would try to do if i were my wilds gm.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Zuccarello doesn't start scoring soon then he is going to go from complicated to move to near impossible. Thanks, Fenton!

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
well i for one would like to gain cap space to be able to make an offer to hall. as far as rask i'd be willing to retain 2 mill just to save 2 mill. i think zuccarello would be willing to move back to dallas hopefully for 2-2nds and we would retain 1 million. parise has been rumored to want to go to a contender so maybe retain 2 million in exch for 2-2nds. that's what i would try to do if i were my wilds gm.
We could buy Rask out after the season and save more than $2 million against the cap. Giving up an asset to dump a $4M contract would be stupid

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You know, when the trade went down last year I think my very first comment was that if Rask could be a 3C for us it wouldn't be so bad. Last year he didn't look like that at all, which was frustrating. But this year? He's not a world beater or anything, but he's been about what I'd want from a 3C. Part of that might just be the limited number of games he's played and he'll annoy me more as he plays more, but overall he's been fine... even good.

Talking about buying him out or paying to trade him right now seems goofy.

Reactions: AKL

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll have whatever intoxicant Bazeek is having, because right now the best thing I can say about Rask is that he doesn't look awful. He is the very definition of a replacement player, IMO. Doesn't affect the game in any way. I don't think he is any better than an AHL call up.

I do agree that it's probably best to hold onto him, as MN isn't going anywhere, and buy him out at an appropriate time. Sure as hell don't pay another player to move him...he already cost us Nino.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll have whatever intoxicant Bazeek is having, because right now the best thing I can say about Rask is that he doesn't look awful. He is the very definition of a replacement player, IMO. Doesn't affect the game in any way. I don't think he is any better than an AHL call up.

I do agree that it's probably best to hold onto him, as MN isn't going anywhere, and buy him out at an appropriate time. Sure as hell don't pay another player to move him...he already cost us Nino.
So far this year he has affected the games with points, which ain't nothing with our forward group.

But yeah, small sample size and as he plays more he'll probably be closer to "replacement level." But Minnesota's not exactly chock full of replacement-level centers either, so why pay to get rid of him?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
bazeek, my point is that he is not a good 3C. Coyle is a good 3C. He is not even a decent 3C. He is a 4c with no speed or physicality...not even sure about the brain.

Agreed about not paying to get rid of him, unless it's via buyout. It's Leipold's money, not mine. He can pay for this mess he created, albeit indirectly.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Now the question is whether its a young player that we're going to care about.
Which of Donato, Eriksson Ek, Fiala, Greenway and Kunin would you want to keep? They are all different versions of disappointing. As far as I can tell the only pending free agent on the Wild that is worth paying is Brodin, and the Wild probably have money to do that. They also have so few good forwards that they could go 4/4 in the expansion draft and not lose anyone that you would really worry about. At this point they don't need to strategize the cap or the expansion draft intensively because they don't have enough talent to make either of those a big deal. I suppose we could shed payroll to go after a marquee free agent but that is a fools game in the modern NHL as we have seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad