Rumor: Wild looking to attach a young player to trade a bad contract?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think they keep Zucc a little longer than most, but Staal (unless he requests a trade and wants to win elsewhere), Parise, Suter and likely Dubnyk are staying. Koivu either retires or signs elsewhere as a free agent. But I am convinced Spurgeon is staying.

I imagine Zucker, Brodin, Dumba, Rask, and Foligno are the guys they are going to try and trade for many assets. Zucc might be harder, or easier depending on which team could take him. Would say Fiala but his contract is an anchor for what it is.

I could see them making trades with the Devils, Avalanche, Red Wings, Ducks, maybe even the Leafs.
This is pretty amazing with how wrong you are.

Reactions: Bazeek

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Staal doesn't have a choice and is traded at the deadline. Might return a 2nd.

That 2nd year for a soon to be 35 year old is going to be a problem. The Wild might be the party without a choice here. They might have to trade him at the 2021 deadline.

Zucc moves if he wants to move, and he should want to move.

Even if he wanted out, that's a significant contract. 4 more years after this one. Plus you don't see too many teams retaining a lot for years on end. Not to mention he's not like a 30 goal guy or anything. That's a pricey contract for a non-elite playmaking winger, who is now 32.

Spurgeon probably stays. *SIGH*

Again, the new contract that hasn't kicked in yet almost guarantees it.

The longer the remaining term, the more likely any given player isn't going anywhere in a trade. You'll get your exceptions here and there, but they are the exceptions. Or, Lucic for Neal will happen.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That 2nd year for a soon to be 35 year old is going to be a problem. The Wild might be the party without a choice here. They might have to trade him at the 2021 deadline.

He's making 3.25M. He's low risk and high reward. I think it'll be fine.

Even if he wanted out, that's a significant contract. 4 more years after this one. Plus you don't see too many teams retaining a lot for years on end. Not to mention he's not like a 30 goal guy or anything. That's a pricey contract for a non-elite playmaking winger, who is now 32.

And if he waives his NMC, he won't have one. Someone will take him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Again, the new contract that hasn't kicked in yet almost guarantees it.

The longer the remaining term, the more likely any given player isn't going anywhere in a trade. You'll get your exceptions here and there, but they are the exceptions. Or, Lucic for Neal will happen.
Staal: Maybe.

Zucarello: It's a significant contract, but he'll be good for the next 3 years. For a team where that's the window and they don't have other acute cap concerns, he should be an option.

Spurgeon: Oi. Yes.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's making 3.25M. He's low risk and high reward. I think it'll be fine.

If he had just this year left, sure. Because of that 2nd year, whoever acquires him has to account for him for another entire season. At 35, and possibly scoring even less than last year, that's not an easy asset to move. He might not be high reward anymore.

And if he waives his NMC, he won't have one. Someone will take him.

$6m on the cap for 4 additional years is not easy to trade. Kessel only has 2 years after this one. Zuc's salary even goes up in 2021, by $2.5m. I hadn't noticed that until now. That's kind of crazy.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he had just this year left, sure. Because of that 2nd year, whoever acquires him has to account for him for another entire season. At 35, and possibly scoring even less than last year, that's not an easy asset to move. He might not be high reward anymore.

$6m on the cap for 4 additional years is not easy to trade. Kessel only has 2 years after this one. Zuc's salary even goes up in 2021, by $2.5m. I hadn't noticed that until now. That's kind of crazy.

Staal is making 3.25. I personally guarantee you someone will take him.

3.25M my guy, 3.25.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Koivu waives and is traded a the deadline. Might return a 2nd+.

Staal doesn't have a choice and is traded at the deadline. Might return a 2nd.

Zucc moves if he wants to move, and he should want to move.

Spurgeon probably stays. *SIGH*
Oh how quickly things have chsnged

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere.

Guerin isn't beholden to any deal that Fenton/Staal had that got him to sign for 3 million. He'll be gone.

Koivu, his choice. If he wants to go chase, there will be plenty of teams interested, especially since we can retain whatever.

Guerin didn't sign Zuccarello. If they both want out, theres nothing standing in the way.

Guerin signed Spurgeon and Spurgeon isn't a problem. He'll stay.

Reactions: Joel Ward and AKL

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere.

Guerin isn't beholden to any deal that Fenton/Staal had that got him to sign for 3 million. He'll be gone.

Koivu, his choice. If he wants to go chase, there will be plenty of teams interested, especially since we can retain whatever.

Guerin didn't sign Zuccarello. If they both want out, theres nothing standing in the way.

Guerin signed Spurgeon and Spurgeon isn't a problem. He'll stay.

Zuccarello's lengthy $6 million contract that takes him to 37 years old is standing the way. Very few teams would have signed him to that long of a deal. As good as he is, nobody wants to be stuck with a 37 year old $6 million cap hit. It would take some creative +'s from either side to make a good deal.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I'm going to say it's Rask, 4 mill / 3 yrs left, they are trying to get rid of and Donato, 1.9 mil / 2 yrs left, is the young attached to him

that's not horrible $$ for 2 F's

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Parise... 5 more years after this year.. he will be 40
Suter... 5 more years after this year.. he will be 40

For now its okay...

Would consider Suter for Montreal
With the way the Wild are going at 40 they may be the youngest players on the team.....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont do it,just ride it out ....Let the vets figure out where they want be...Keep your kids

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I still can't understand why Guerin gave Spurgeon that contract. He's a good player, but a team as old as Minnesota is, with as many lengthy contracts as they have, shouldn't be investing in a 29 year old player for the next 8 years while he's still a year away from free agency. He should have waited, seen how the season went, and then made a decision at the deadline. All he did was dig the hole a little deeper.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter is not a bad contract. He is still playing at a high level, and is a horse. Same with Spurgeon' who has a 7, not 8 year contract.

Rask is not a good contract, but nothing so bad you'd attach a good young NHL player to. Zuccarello...it remains to be seen. One year too long, maybe - see Rask comment.

The only bad contract is Parise, it appears, and he has to waive to go, AND if he retires then there is a cap recapture penalty.

Also, does anyone really think that what is hurting the Wild right now is their cap situation?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I still can't understand why Guerin gave Spurgeon that contract. He's a good player, but a team as old as Minnesota is, with as many lengthy contracts as they have, shouldn't be investing in a 29 year old player for the next 8 years while he's still a year away from free agency. He should have waited, seen how the season went, and then made a decision at the deadline. All he did was dig the hole a little deeper.
Spurgeon will be 30 yrs old next month so he'll be 38 yrs old 2 months into the last year of his contract ....not good IMO

I really think that the owner wanted / had to re-sign Spurgeon , a fan favorite, to sell tickets and keep fanbase happy after the whole Fenton disaster he created. Basically, I think it was a business decision

Spurgeon a really good player but awful term on next contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would absolutely love to get Ryan Suter in Colorado to be Cale Makar’s partner. I realize that the recapture penalty will prevent them from ever considering it unfortunately. Especially with a division team. If Minny traded Suter out east somewhere they could always offer up a late pick or something to get him back a few years down the road. A team like Colorado would never trade him back for anything short of an overpayment because they won’t want to do any divisional teams any favors.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Dallas fans bailing on Zucc and Spurgeon already? Have they been that bad this year?
Zuccarello just hasn't fit. Obviously it's early, but the way things are tilting with this team we're unlikely to get much value out of the best years of his deal. I'm sure he'd be great on a playoff team with more talent to play with, like he was with Dallas last year.

I don't think many have turned against Spurgeon. I've been lukewarm on the deal since it was signed, and with the way we're looking this year I really wish it had been handled differently. If he had been traded last draft we could have gotten a pretty nice return for him. I don't really fault Guerin for it and I'm sure Spurgeon will be fine. It's just not ideal.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello just hasn't fit. Obviously it's early, but the way things are tilting with this team we're unlikely to get much value out of the best years of his deal. I'm sure he'd be great on a playoff team with more talent to play with, like he was with Dallas last year.

lol...he's played 4 games, also played through an injury. He was great in preseason. So relax man, how he fits can't be based on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->