Rumor: Wild looking to attach a young player to trade a bad contract?

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
No, Minnesota would still be on the hook for all the "cap benefit" we've reaped from the front loaded contracts. At the moment that's around $19m, and would be spread out over however many years are remaining on the contract when he retires. So if he retires at 39 Minnesota would have $19m in dead cap in 2024-25.

No thanks.

That recap penalty is effective if he retires at 39 regardless if he is traded or not right? So the logic is that he decides to not retire early because Minny was loyal by not trading him?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That recap penalty is effective if he retires at 39 regardless if he is traded or not right? So the logic is that he decides to not retire early because Minny was loyal by not trading him?
If he stays in Minnesota until retiring at 39 it won't be nearly as bad. Because his cap hit will be higher than his actual salary after 2021, the last few years of his deal will lower the cap benefit Minnesota gets dinged for. If he retires at 39 in Minnesota the penalty is about $6.5m for 1 year.

But if we trade him before those cap hit > salary years, our net cap benefit never "deflates." We just get stuck with whatever the benefit was at at the time of the trade, which is currently about $19m. So if he retires at 39, with one year on his deal, we'd have a 1 year penalty of $19m. If he retired at 38 it'd be a 2 year penalty of $9.5m.

There's a table with all the numbers here, if that helps.

Reactions: CountKong and TaLoN

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Based on what I saw from Minnesota, they are clearly lacking top end speed in their roster.

MIN:
Paul Byron

(Currently stuck on Mtl's 4th due to their winger depth, a speedy PK winger usually good for 15-22 goals/season.)

MTL:
Victor Rask

(Montreal gets younger, gets out from under a contract a year earlier despite the higher AAV.)

I'd do a 1 for 1 based on Byron's extra year of contract and being 4 years older than Rask despite his AAV being lower and him being a more impactful player than Rask usually is. If anything, either team adds later pick swaps to even things out.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Young player, cap munching, veteran player for next year? Sounds like a Canes sort of play, doesn't it? Maybe they can come out of it with Eric Staal and Vladislav Firstov?

I think you missed the point of the thread.

Why would we give up our 2019 second round pick to shed Staal’s... 3.25M...

Reactions: AJ Thelen

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I wouldn't even really have Rask in the Bad Contract column right now. It's not a good contract, but in limited games he's been fine and we're not exactly flush with quality centers. I wouldn't miss him, but I wouldn't pay to move him either.

Even conceptually this seems like exactly the wrong time of the year to try to pawn off a bad contract.

I wish he never got hurt again and actually got minutes when he was healthy. He's contributed in limited minutes but it's early.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Rask isn’t a bad contract. It’s 4 million. That doesn’t open up enough space to make it worth it to add a good young player.
He might not be completely terrible but his production value is... luckily the Wild don't have to really care about cap for the next year or two, so his contract isn't as bad as it would be on a lot of teams.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Rask isn’t a bad contract. It’s 4 million. That doesn’t open up enough space to make it worth it to add a good young player.

Not isolated, but combine that with Koivu and your almost hitting 10.
Those 10 million can be used to sign a long term deal with one of the upcoming 30+ UFA’s, you know..

1jf6i2.jpg

Reactions: rynryn

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Based on what I saw from Minnesota, they are clearly lacking top end speed in their roster.

MIN:
Paul Byron

(Currently stuck on Mtl's 4th due to their winger depth, a speedy PK winger usually good for 15-22 goals/season.)

MTL:
Victor Rask

(Montreal gets younger, gets out from under a contract a year earlier despite the higher AAV.)

I'd do a 1 for 1 based on Byron's extra year of contract and being 4 years older than Rask despite his AAV being lower and him being a more impactful player than Rask usually is. If anything, either team adds later pick swaps to even things out.

hahahaha.

Rask is a capdump. Byron is an asset. Habs are not trading an asset for a capdump unless you are adding your 1st +.

Rask is brutal.

Reactions: Runner77

John B

Nov 19, 2016
hahahaha.

Rask is a capdump. Byron is an asset. Habs are not trading an asset for a capdump unless you are adding your 1st +.

Rask is brutal.
A 1st plus seems a bit extreme. Rask's contract isn't Alzner level bad. That being said, I agree that Minnesota would have to add in a Byron for Rask trade. Maybe that young player that the thread title is eluding to.

Reactions: Edgy and xNogaitx

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A 1st plus seems a bit extreme. Rask's contract isn't Alzner level bad. That being said, I agree that Minnesota would have to add in a Byron for Rask trade. Maybe that young player that the thread title is eluding to.
There is no room on the Habs roster for Rask. With Danault, Kotkaniemi and Domi at C, Rask would be in the AHL>

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I'm not sure the Wild is as desperate to move a bad contract as the article makes it seem, but if they are:

Zach Parise + 1st (unprotected) or Boldy for Tatar + 1st (top 3 protected)

Or

Zach Parise + Greenway for Tatar

Again, that's going by the info in the article saying the Wild wants to move a bad contract, whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
NJ needs a player like Ryan Suter. What would Minnesota want?
I'm not sure the Wild is as desperate to move a bad contract as the article makes it seem, but if they are:

Zach Parise + 1st (unprotected) or Boldy for Tatar + 1st (top 3 protected)

Or

Zach Parise + Greenway for Tatar

Again, that's going by the info in the article saying the Wild wants to move a bad contract, whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

Can’t move Parise or Suter due to recapture. Boldy, Kaprizov and 2020 1st absolutely won’t be included either.

Reactions: FLHabs and TaLoN

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Can’t move Parise or Suter due to recapture. Boldy, Kaprizov and 2020 1st absolutely won’t be included either.
True, that could turn into a Weber situation lol, and for the Boldy or 1st, for sure Wild would be dumb 2 move that, but you never know maybe a team can take advantage of a desperate Gm hehe

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
True, that could turn into a Weber situation lol, and for the Boldy or 1st, for sure Wild would be dumb 2 move that, but you never know maybe a team can take advantage of a desperate Gm hehe

Trading any of Boldy, Kaprizov or the 1st are grounds to fire Guerin immediately unless he so blatantly wins the deal to the extent that the other is immediately fired.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah... we know.... we still miss Granlund big time! (among other deals that took advantage of Fenton)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad