Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
I do not hate the Penguins, in fact, when they aren't playing us, they are the team I pull for. I am, however, not the biggest Sidney fan. Don't hate him, don't love him.
With that said, I am having a happy birthday to me trip back to Pittsburgh for our game on December 6. This should please you all as my last two trips ended with Penguins 6-0 and 7-0 wins.

Reactions: TheTang58

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I don't mean to add to the fire, but if the Penguins lose against Montreal, then we'll have a chance to draft #1 overall.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Cause we be dancing on their hopes and dreams
cfph.gif

EDIT: just noticed this was a year old thread that got bumped....sentiments still hold true, eff em!

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I do not hate the Penguins, in fact, when they aren't playing us, they are the team I pull for. I am, however, not the biggest Sidney fan. Don't hate him, don't love him.
With that said, I am having a happy birthday to me trip back to Pittsburgh for our game on December 6. This should please you all as my last two trips ended with Penguins 6-0 and 7-0 wins.

I tolerate the Coyotes because of Tocchet and Kessel, I think they should go back to their original coyotes jerseys too.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Because these clown knows truly believe a (at the time) bankrupted franchise somehow someway found a way to rig a multi-billion dollar professional sports league to give them a 1st overall pick in a league wide weighted draft lottery to get a franchise changing talent.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mike Tomlin is famous for his tomlinisms but sometimes they are spot on. Success breeds contempt.

The Pens had 66, 68, 71, and 87. They have 5 cups since 1990 and two times b2b.

That is all you need to know. Same reason people hated the Steelers and currently why people hated the Pats.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
-Success
-Having 4 all-time great players when some teams have never had one
-The fanbase generally lacks humbleness or humility

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
I agree with those that think it all started with Sid. Prior to that the Pens were a doormat and prior to that the internet didn’t really exist so very hard to gauge.

Fans were upset after the lockout and Sid got shoved down their throats. Then he came in and, let’s be frank, pissed and moaned a lot. The Hitchcock comments started it in earnest and it definitely became a thing. Then they started winning, a lot, and here we are.

I’d say it’s mostly due to jealousy that’s hidden under the guise of the mouth-shut tough guy image of the old NHL. The Cooke stuff and Sid ‘cheap shots’ are more smokescreen to justify the jealousy. Bankruptcies/Kansas City/rigged draft lottery are used to shame the organization.

Sid would be a god in Philly and his emotions/cheap shots would cast him as the 2nd coming of Bobby Clark.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mike Tomlin is famous for his tomlinisms but sometimes they are spot on. Success breeds contempt.

The Pens had 66, 68, 71, and 87. They have 5 cups since 1990 and two times b2b.

That is all you need to know. Same reason people hated the Steelers and currently why people hated the Pats.
I mean the Pats legit cheat and have been caught doing it a few times. So there's that too.

Reactions: ColePens

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
IMO, the following reasons include:

1. Crosby
2. 2009, 2016, & 2017 Stanley Cup Champions
3. The overall attitude/culture that comes from Pittsburgh.

Now, hatred towards any sports' team is natural, but some people think the NHL is "rigged" each time the Penguins win the cup or when they receive so called "special treatment" from the refs. Furthermore, Crosby is a player that you either love or hate, but you got to respect him for the way he impacted the NHL.

So, is it jealously or something else?

I say embrace their hate....:sarcasm:

Enjoy it & love it for it is precious, especially when it comes from douchey Original 6 fan bases or troglodyte Flyers fans:thumbu:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The Penguins have rivals that squawk a lot. The Pens are very popular in Canada and I would guess in many places outside of Pittsburgh. The same for the Steelers. Pittsburgh pushes well above it's weight class in terms of wider fandom.
I’m in San Diego and there is both a Steelers and Penguins bars in this city. Now the Steelers bar is a lot nicer and has a bigger crowd. It’ll literally have a line out the door and down the block on Sunday mornings. And the Penguins bar just has a crowd of regulars that are all Penguins fans. But there are fan bases everywhere for both.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I’m in San Diego and there is both a Steelers and Penguins bars in this city. Now the Steelers bar is a lot nicer and has a bigger crowd. It’ll literally have a line out the door and down the block on Sunday mornings. And the Penguins bar just has a crowd of regulars that are all Penguins fans. But there are fan bases everywhere for both.

What's the Penguins bar called?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
And also f*** em. I love being hated as a fan. I have a sick fascination with being an away fan at opposing teams stadiums, arenas, or ball parks. If your team is doing well you just get to smile and let all the hate wash over you. And if the other team is winning you can turn heel and just get people spun up.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
People still really care about Ulf? Sure he was a dirtbag but did any of these people actually WATCH hockey in that era?

Also the fanbase being obnoxious or whatever is news to me. You mean on social media? Shocker... Facebook pumps out some real dickheads. News at 11.

Reactions: KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad