Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
People still really care about Ulf? Sure he was a dirtbag but did any of these people actually WATCH hockey in that era?

Also the fanbase being obnoxious or whatever is news to me. You mean on social media? Shocker... Facebook pumps out some real dickheads. News at 11.

Older Bruins fans sure as **** do. :laugh:

Reactions: Factorial and TNT87

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
And the Ducks. In fact, pretty much no team has a better sweater than they did in the 80s/90s. So....yeah.
Lol wut? You mean the cartoon duck? And a name that had the word “Mighty” in it?? They were a shameful eyesore. Nothing screams “classy” like Disney.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Since 2006-07, with both Crosby and Malkin...

- 645 wins regular season wins (the most in the league)
- 14-straight playoff appearances (the longest active playoff streak)
- 4 appearances in the SCF (no other team has that many appearances over the same span)
- 3 Cups (only the Hawks, who have since tailed off, can match that)

All of this with two generational players who have put up incredible numbers and received multiple awards. Other fans are jealous, plain and simple.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Boston: finding ways to be both the bully and the victim since 1630.

For real.

They were just a WEE bit obnoxious even before the whole "Patriots winning all the Superbowls" thing. All the worse, now.

f*** Cam Neely right in his ossified knee.

To me Cooke stood out way more as a clear example of an exceptional dirtbag. Ulf was bad but he was also kind of a, uh... man of his time, I guess? Cooke was headhunting when people were like "yo stop headhunting because brain damage is bad, m'kay?"

I'll fully admit to being ashamed that dude was a Penguin for so long.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

- 4 appearances in the SCF (no other team has that many appearances)

All of this with two generational players who have put up incredible numbers and received multiple awards. Other fans are jealous - plain and simple.

But yeah my rather unnecessary rant aside... this is the real reason.

It's decades of hardware and having a golden horseshoe crammed squarely up their backsides. That'll make other fans salty. Plus there is something to be said about Crosby's overexposure early on. It was a little over the top.

I still don't completely get the "dirty" stuff. The Penguins... a historically dirty team? That seems like a hell of a reach. I feel like you can look though any other team over the same timeframe and find worse.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
For real.

They were just a WEE bit obnoxious even before the whole "Patriots winning all the Superbowls" thing. All the worse, now.

f*** Cam Neely right in his ossified knee.

To me Cooke stood out way more as a clear example of an exceptional dirtbag. Ulf was bad but he was also kind of a, uh... man of his time, I guess? Cooke was headhunting when people were like "yo stop headhunting because brain damage is bad, m'kay?"

I'll fully admit to being ashamed that dude was a Penguin for so long.
To me Cooke was one of those dudes you loved him when he was on your team, at least for me, then after he left then retired just a few years later. You look back 20/20 style at his career. And it makes you cringe and wish it wouldn’t of happened playing for your team, or at all, but especially for your team.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
But yeah my rather unnecessary rant aside... this is the real reason.

It's decades of hardware and having a golden horseshoe crammed squarely up their backsides. That'll make other fans salty. Plus there is something to be said about Crosby's overexposure early on. It was a little over the top.

I still don't completely get the "dirty" stuff. The Penguins... a historically dirty team? That seems like a hell of a reach. I feel like you can look though any other team over the same timeframe and find worse.

I’ll give fans Cooke. Even we, Pens fans, were tired of his act near the end. Malkin, though, gets too much criticism for some of the stuff of he pulls.

The Oilers fan (the one posting in this thread) made a good point. The Pens haven’t been too dirty of a team in recent years. Rutherford replaced the grinders (some of whom cross the line) with more skilled guys. He kind of went down that road after the episode with Wilson, but then corrected the mistake.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To me Cooke was one of those dudes you loved him when he was on your team, at least for me, then after he left then retired just a few years later. You look back 20/20 style at his career. And it makes you cringe and wish it wouldn’t of happened playing for your team, or at all, but especially for your team.

Absolutely. I definitely relate to that. I was actually cautiously positive about the signing at first. You have to remember that Shero was still relatively early in his tenure and kind of undoing some of the neglect that Patrick had foisted upon the depth lines. Who he mostly filled out with all-skill draft busts. So getting a guy like Cooke just seemed like another logical step in that direction.

But nah he was a rat. I realize he kinda half-assedly rehabilitated himself later on but by that point it was like "why are we even still employing this guy, again?"

Too bad because he could play.

I’ll give fans Cooke. Even we, Pens fans, were tired of his act near the end. Malkin, though, gets too much criticism for some of the stuff of he pulls.

The Oilers fan (the one posting in this thread) made a good point. The Pens haven’t been too dirty of a team in recent years. Rutherford replaced the grinders (some of whom cross the line) with more skilled guys. He kind of went down that road after the episode with Wilson, but then corrected the mistake.

Yeah @BHD I have my complaints about JR but he seems to have a much better pulse on how to serve this core. Until he goes a bit nuts.

As for Malkin... nothing he isn't used to. People seem to put all sorts of massively exaggerated or flat-out untrue attributes on that guy for whatever reason. The above GM included...

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And also f*** em. I love being hated as a fan. I have a sick fascination with being an away fan at opposing teams stadiums, arenas, or ball parks. If your team is doing well you just get to smile and let all the hate wash over you. And if the other team is winning you can turn heel and just get people spun up.
This bloke is ok with me.

I also say f*** the haters, I love that they hate us.

Reactions: Investigator

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Pretty sure most hockey fans of other teams don't give much thought to the Penguins. Just as most of us don't give much thought to other teams.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

- 4 appearances in the SCF (no other team has that many appearances over the same span)

All of this with two generational players who have put up incredible numbers and received multiple awards. Other fans are jealous, plain and simple.
I tend to agree, jealousy would be part of it. Although I would suggest a lot of fans aren't really worried about other teams beyond their own. Maybe in a playoff series but.....

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Mate, if you're going to talk dirty to us, buy us dinner first.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of his disgusting headhunting and numerous other dirty play; Cooke was everything every team wants in a bottom 6 player. That’s why he was employed(even by teams that are not the Pens :eek:)in the NHL for so long.
Thing is, a ton of teams employed even worse versions of him, Cooke was only noticeable because he was on a high profile team. For years he was doing that crap in Vancouver and he was beloved by all, then the Caps even had him for a cup of tea.

There are countless guys as dumb or worse than he was that were in the league...off the top of my head:

Downie
Carcillo
Gudas
Pronger - This f***ing chap used to just elbow people straight in the head, f*** blindside.
Kassian
PK Slewban
Kaleta
John Scott
Westgarth
Clarkson
Rinaldo
Gillies
Ruutu
Marchand

Yet, Cooke...he's the guy people want to latch on to. Yet, Savard was fine after the Cooke hit, it was the run in with Hunwick that turn that half scrambled egg into a full scramble. If anything, the Bruins should be ashamed of allowing Savard to even play that year, he clearly wasn't right in the head still and was back, putting up 10pts in 25 games until the Avs game when Hunwick nailed him, that was what did it. Had Savard taken more time before coming back, he probably finishes his career on a good note.

Did Cooke have moments he was dirty? Yeah, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't like Cooke when he was a beast at both ends and a thorn on the side to play against, when he didn't cross that line, he was one of the better 3rd line players in the league.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Because we’re a big bright shining star
a8fbd567e92a5d43fad209de40cf5cd9.gif
and we don’t treat anyone gently.

Reactions: Peat

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol wut? You mean the cartoon duck? And a name that had the word “Mighty” in it?? They were a shameful eyesore. Nothing screams “classy” like Disney.

Yes

As if "professional" sports need to be so uptight all the time. A goofy assed stupid cartoon duck is exactly what is needed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes

As if "professional" sports need to be so uptight all the time. A goofy assed stupid cartoon duck is exactly what is needed.
From what I can remember, when the Samuels bought the team, they wanted to distance themselves from the Disney name and I wonder if that was because they were kind of told to, as the Disney+ streaming service is rebooting the movie into a show, so it might be less of a choice and rather, request by the previous ownership. Samuels likely can use the old jerseys but probably have to pay the Disney folks some money when they get any sales out of them as well. So I can see why Anaheim are the Ducks and the only 3rds they seem to like using are the ones under the Samuels ownership.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People still really care about Ulf? Sure he was a dirtbag but did any of these people actually WATCH hockey in that era?

Also the fanbase being obnoxious or whatever is news to me. You mean on social media? Shocker... Facebook pumps out some real dickheads. News at 11.
Bruins fans love to pin all their legends injuries on Pens players. I love it. Those Beantown wankers can suck it.

Reactions: Factorial

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because the Pens win more than anyone and Crosby's the face of the league getting shoved down everyone's throat.

Basically the Patriots on a smaller scale.

Reactions: Ryder71

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
From what I can remember, when the Samuels bought the team, they wanted to distance themselves from the Disney name and I wonder if that was because they were kind of told to, as the Disney+ streaming service is rebooting the movie into a show, so it might be less of a choice and rather, request by the previous ownership. Samuels likely can use the old jerseys but probably have to pay the Disney folks some money when they get any sales out of them as well. So I can see why Anaheim are the Ducks and the only 3rds they seem to like using are the ones under the Samuels ownership.

I am certain the Disney lawyers spoke, lol
Look, they can keep their current design, mostly, but god damn go back to the 90s colorways at least.

Pastel horrorshow at least stands out

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am certain the Disney lawyers spoke, lol
Look, they can keep their current design, mostly, but god damn go back to the 90s colorways at least

Oh for sure, but also, rebrand that team again, that current logo is so boring and corporate looking. They should try to reach some partnership with Disney, with the new show and an NHL team to get exposure from and vice versa, then get the opportunity to use those jerseys again and go back to them full time.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Oh for sure, but also, rebrand that team again, that current logo is so boring and corporate looking. They should try to reach some partnership with Disney, with the new show and an NHL team to get exposure from and vice versa, then get the opportunity to use those jerseys again and go back to them full time.

I mean a stylized duck footprint and/or the name DUCKS spelled out on a jersey aren't doing it for you?

lol lol

I think the Pens current logo is perfect. Close enough to the OG. Not too stylized like the robopenguin.

Colors are simple, yet bright. No issues at all with the Pens branding right now. Ditching the Vegas gold was the single best thing to happen in the last 15 years....well...all those Cups too

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad