Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
giphy.gif

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think it's pretty simple.

Tom Brady isn't liked because he's the best and is seen as protected from the rest of the league. Crosby similarly, is seen in a similar light. People respect their abilities, but hate their attitude. I can't say that I wouldn't honestly dislike Crosby if he played for any other organization. I think Malkin is in a similar vein as well, both are very chippy players.

I don't think it has to do with success. I think it just has to do with the players. Lemieux calling the NHL a "garage league" years ago pissed people off, his comments a couple years ago when the Islanders debacle happened also made people upset, because Cooke was on the team. The Penguins haven't had the most saintly players in the past either. Samuelsson, Leroux, Kasparitis, Barnaby, Orpik, Ruutu, Cooke, Kunitz, Hornqvist, Downie. I think it's a combination of being good while playing on that edge, especially their best players who are seen as also being protected by the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Im convinced that if lottery fixing were a thing, Eichel or McDavid would be in Arizona. The league really wants the market to work and theyve had nothing go their way. Getting McDavid would immediately give them a fanbase.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
the vast majority of humans are emotionally and intellectually stunted. When you boil society down to an even smaller group - sports fans - you get an even more-stunted sample. This people are incapable of dealing with reality, and instead have to find a reason to blame every negative in their life on something out of their control, like RIGGEDEDEDEDED lotteries, even though rigging the lottery for a team like the Penguins is pretty ****ing stupid, when held to the candle of even the most basic logic.

End thread

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Ulf Samuelsson was the dirtiest player of his generation and Matt Cooke was the dirtiest of his. Hated the Pens when Ulf was there then liked them (somewhat) between the end of Ulf and the start of Cooke. I think Crosby is a great player/person but that is as far as I can go due to the taint of U.S. and M.C.

Ulf was no saint, but you do know that he played the same time as Dale Hunter, right?

Feb 24, 2017
Success. Period. People hate success.
Capitals and blues are nearly universally celebrated for their success.

Toronto and Vancouver succeed at nothing in over a half century and they’re just absolutely f***ing hated here and in general.

I don’t think it’s as simple as success bringing hate.

Reactions: Ryder71

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Capitals and blues are nearly universally celebrated for their success.

Toronto and Vancouver succeed at nothing in over a half century and they’re just absolutely ****ing hated here and in general.

I don’t think it’s as simple as success bringing hate.

It was the Caps and Blues first time winning...why would there be hate?

Both the Pens and Steelers are hated...the one team in Pitt that isnt? The Pirates. Who have done nothing since 1979. The year we finally made the playoffs...tons of non fans were rooting for them to go all the way..."Pirates deserve it...good luck....beat the Cards...etc...etc.." Were the type of comments.

Success is def a main factor for hate. Then they find other seasons to feed that hate.

Feb 24, 2017
It was the Caps and Blues first time winning...why would there be hate?

Both the Pens and Steelers are hated...the one team in Pitt that isnt? The Pirates. Who have done nothing since 1979. The year we finally made the playoffs...tons of non fans were rooting for them to go all the way..."Pirates deserve it...good luck....beat the Cards...etc...etc.." Were the type of comments.

Success is def a main factor for hate. Then they find other seasons to feed that hate.
I know I never hated the 91 and 92 team for winning. So why now?

Ps- I never penguin hated. I was kinda like just in the middle. I wanted sharks to beat them but I didn’t want Nashville to.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think it's pretty simple.

Tom Brady isn't liked because he's the best and is seen as protected from the rest of the league. Crosby similarly, is seen in a similar light. People respect their abilities, but hate their attitude. I can't say that I wouldn't honestly dislike Crosby if he played for any other organization. I think Malkin is in a similar vein as well, both are very chippy players.

I don't think it has to do with success. I think it just has to do with the players. Lemieux calling the NHL a "garage league" years ago pissed people off, his comments a couple years ago when the Islanders debacle happened also made people upset, because Cooke was on the team. The Penguins haven't had the most saintly players in the past either. Samuelsson, Leroux, Kasparitis, Barnaby, Orpik, Ruutu, Cooke, Kunitz, Hornqvist, Downie. I think it's a combination of being good while playing on that edge, especially their best players who are seen as also being protected by the league.
Brady isn't the best though, and isn't all that close to it either.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I know I never hated the 91 and 92 team for winning. So why now?

Ps- I never penguin hated. I was kinda like just in the middle. I wanted sharks to beat them but I didn’t want Nashville to.

Because in 91 and 92 they were new to winning? Idk you hate them...you should know the answer..:laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The organization has been to the stanley cup final 6 times over the last 28 years. So thats like a final (in less than) every 5 years over an entire generation. There are teams in that span who haven't even made one trip to the final. I'd be a little envious too if I was a fan of some teams.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Tanking for Mario (because only Pittsburgh tanks)
The "rigged" draft for Sid (because there is no way that was an honest lottery)
Uncle Gary making and not making calls on the Pens behalf for years...

Geez, just typing that made a tinfoil hat appear out of thin air on my head. :eek:

The stuff about Ulf and Cooke have been used as a reason, but really it's a cop out to make people sound like they have the moral high ground when in reality their team has employed similarly dirty players in the past/present as well.

Success certainly plays a role, and instead of people being rational and admitting that is why they hate, they choose to act like the Pens cheated to get there through the top 3 listed reasons.

Reactions: TheTang58

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
The "rigged" draft for Sid (because there is no way that was an honest lottery) Success certainly plays a role, and instead of people being rational and admitting that is why they hate, they choose to act like the Pens cheated to get there through the top 3 listed reasons.
Penguins = Patriots, minus the 6th ring

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Not hated eh?

A lot of upvotes on these "opinions" from this CBJ fan. This is from the last hour. Click the link for his follow-up comments.

Apparently we're destined to be last place in the Metro in the immediate future and we're further from contention than Ottawa.

Garbage like this is commonplace on hockey boards.

Pretty mild. If that bothers you, thicker skin is something you might want to look into.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad