Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
IMO, the following reasons include:

1. Crosby
2. 2009, 2016, & 2017 Stanley Cup Champions
3. The overall attitude/culture that comes from Pittsburgh.

Now, hatred towards any sports' team is natural, but some people think the NHL is "rigged" each time the Penguins win the cup or when they receive so called "special treatment" from the refs. Furthermore, Crosby is a player that you either love or hate, but you got to respect him for the way he impacted the NHL.

So, is it jealously or something else?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Ulf Samuelsson was the dirtiest player of his generation and Matt Cooke was the dirtiest of his. Hated the Pens when Ulf was there then liked them (somewhat) between the end of Ulf and the start of Cooke. I think Crosby is a great player/person but that is as far as I can go due to the taint of U.S. and M.C.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's jealousy for the superstars, scoring titles, the playoff streak and most of all the championships.

They feel we don't suffer enough as a fan base.

Unfortunately winning gives immature Pens fans an inflated ego on social media, and the internet is tailored for them to showcase it. This translates into giving a false perception that the organization is arrogant and entitled, when really it's just spoiled fans.

Don't worry. We'll get a break from the other 31 fan bases when we start missing the playoffs for a few years. I don't see Detroit fans getting hassled almost at all now.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think it's primarily the Sid thing. Ulfie was dirty at a time when everyone not nominated for the Byng was dirty. Basically, everyone but Pat Lafontaine. No one complains about Kasparaitis because it was before we were gifted Sid by uncle Gary. Cooke is just an excuse. He was only here for a hot minute of his career, and did his best "work" elsewhere.

And to be fair, most of the above should be absolved due to the hilarious Stevens/Trottier vs Bellows video from '91.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Easy for me to say as I’m not a fan of a local rival, but I wouldnt call the Pens a team that is hated. I suppose there may be some jealousy of their success or may whine about Crosby for no good reason, but the Pens havent employed a bunch of rats or knuckle draggers (in their recent Cup winning years at least) to upset people.

To a certain extent, you shouldn’t care if they were hated. My team, the Oilers, were hated in the 80s because they kicked the snot out of everybody. They also had some nasty players who would fight/slash/elbow and spear you at the drop of the hat. Hell, Messier is my all-time favourite player and he was mean and dirty as hell. Teams are here to win, not make friends.

Last edited:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I think it's primarily the Sid thing. Ulfie was dirty at a time when everyone not nominated for the Byng was dirty. Basically, everyone but Pat Lafontaine. No one complains about Kasparaitis because it was before we were gifted Sid by uncle Gary. Cooke is just an excuse. He was only here for a hot minute of his career, and did his best "work" elsewhere.

And to be fair, most of the above should be absolved due to the hilarious Stevens/Trottier vs Bellows video from '91.

Ulf's dirtiness was overblown mostly bc some "star" on an Old 6 team tried to be cute and sidestep a hit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At least we have a reason to be smug and spoiled...what excuse do Leaf and Tampa fans have?...lol
If I were to take it to another paragraph that would have been my point. lol

Yep, TB and Leaf fans are arrogant without any tangible results in which to hang their hats on.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Easy for me to say as I’m not a fan of a local rival, but I wouldnt call the Pens a team that is hated. I suppose there may be some jealousy of their success or may whine about Crosby for no good reason, but the Pens havent employed a bunch of rats or knuckle draggers (in their recent Cup winning years at least) to upset people.

To a certain extent, you shouldn’t care if they were hated. My team, the Oilers, were hated in the 80s because they kicked the snot out of everybody. They also had some nasty players who would fight/slash/elbow and spear you at the drop of the hat. Hell, Messier is my all-time favourite player and he was mean and dirty as hell. Teams are here to win, not make friends.
Not hated eh?

A lot of upvotes on these "opinions" from this CBJ fan. This is from the last hour. Click the link for his follow-up comments.

Apparently we're destined to be last place in the Metro in the immediate future and we're further from contention than Ottawa.

Garbage like this is commonplace on hockey boards.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
IMO, the following reasons include:

1. Crosby
2. 2009, 2016, & 2017 Stanley Cup Champions
3. The overall attitude/culture that comes from Pittsburgh.

Now, hatred towards any sports' team is natural, but some people think the NHL is "rigged" each time the Penguins win the cup or when they receive so called "special treatment" from the refs. Furthermore, Crosby is a player that you either love or hate, but you got to respect him for the way he impacted the NHL.

So, is it jealously or something else?
the vast majority of humans are emotionally and intellectually stunted. When you boil society down to an even smaller group - sports fans - you get an even more-stunted sample. These people are incapable of dealing with reality, and instead have to find a reason to blame every negative in their life on something out of their control, like RIGGEDEDEDEDED lotteries, even though rigging the lottery for a team like the Penguins is pretty f***ing stupid, when held to the candle of even the most basic logic.

Last edited:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Success, a certain amount because of dirt, but really it's the success. Success makes a dirty player people don't like into a league-wide issue. Cal Clutterbuck has never led to people hating his team, because they didn't win anything. Nothing was said or done about Tom Wilson until the Caps actually won something.

Having two of Canada's last four Next Ones is a big reason why Penguins fans are heavily represented in Canada. I was 9 and Mario Lemieux was my favorite player in the world.

I'm sure Pens fans who only ever experienced Crosby and Malkin say some pretty indefensible stuff, but I was around for the X-Generation. I watched Konstantin Koltsov skate skate skate up and down the ice and never make a play. I remember us telling each other Ramzi Abid could maybe be a 30-40 goal scorer. Suffering through that did make the payoff of the last fourteen years greater.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Shieeeeeeee....

They know why.

We knew why.

Dunn carrre...

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad