Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He was pretty dirty, just at a time when everyone else was worse. :laugh:

For real. Samuelsson was constantly pawing people in the back of the head or tackling people away from the play, but that doesn't look so bad when a dozen other guys are doing stuff like this twice a season

And don't even get me started on Bryan Marchment. He ended, what, six people's careers in one season?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sammuelsson taking a rookie’s eye out is pretty bad, but I think the Neeley thing is paradoxically less bad than what Stevens was doing to people, just a little more gruesome.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
For real. Samuelsson was constantly pawing people in the back of the head or tackling people away from the play, but that doesn't look so bad when a dozen other guys are doing stuff like this twice a season

I remember the constant elbows more than anything from Messier. If guys hit him, he'd get the chicken wing up to the head. I do not recall a lot of penalties being called on him, but it was ok, he had intangible gritty leadership qualities.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I remember the constant elbows more than anything from Messier. If guys hit him, he'd get the chicken wing up to the head. I do not recall a lot of penalties being called on him, but it was ok, he had intangible gritty leadership qualities.

Messier is known for his elbows, but he was more of an all-purpose sociopath. Like Cooke, but worse, because he was bigger, more vicious and had powerful people making excuses for him (Bettman once faced an owner revolt after he gave Messier a 10 game suspension for trying to blind somebody with his stick...that's why hockey ops does the suspensions now instead of the Commissioner's office...the rock head owners thought a 10 game suspension was excessive for premeditated attempted maiming and wanted the lawyers out of the discipline process).

Over his career, Messier tried to break peoples' necks, took baseball swings at peoples' faces, eye-gouged them, elbowed them in the back of the head, kicked them, everything.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Messier is known for his elbows, but he was more of an all-purpose sociopath. Like Cooke, but worse, because he was bigger, more vicious and had powerful people making excuses for him (Bettman once faced an owner revolt after he gave Messier a 10 game suspension for trying to blind somebody with his stick...that's why hockey ops does the suspensions now instead of the Commissioner's office...the rock head owners thought a 10 game suspension was excessive for premeditated attempted maiming and wanted the lawyers out of the discipline process).

Over his career, Messier tried to break peoples' necks, took baseball swings at peoples' faces, eye-gouged them, elbowed them in the back of the head, kicked them, everything.

My favorite Messier-ism was when he got appointed to the order of Canada or whatever it is: "he is receiving the honour for his contributions to the sport of hockey and for his leadership in encouraging children to take up the sport."

So more of a "do as I say, not as a I do" type leadership when it comes to the kids.

Derail finished, back to why everyone hates the Pens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The most important thing to remember here is that Neely wasn’t truly ****ed by the original hit, but by his own later attempt to go dirty on Samuelsson.

And bad rehabilitation which lead to the calcification. It sucks, but again, it's not like Neely can't count to 10 and has CTE.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Comes down to two things really:

- Most successful team of the cap era

- Spoiled with talent (Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin)

Fanbase isn't really smug all things considered. Think about how insufferable certain fanbases would be if they had the same success the pens have had.

Reactions: NEPA

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
my gusse is it's the same reasons why every one doesn't like me. they feel so inferior in my presents, that they lash out at me in hopes of tarnishing my luster. knowing they could never match up. imo:wg:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DO25xK5UMAApKw6.jpg

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Pretty sure not everyone hates the Penguins. And fwiw, whether the Pens are widely beloved or loathed makes no difference.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Penguins were not “hated” prior to Crosby.

Crosby’s early days coupled with the non-stop onslaught of Crosby’s face on anything NHL related caused annoyance that led to hate when the team started winning, and making championship rounds. Then you just have your flat out resentment and jealousy that Pittsburgh has had multiple generations of hall of fame players.

Then the narrative of the NHL gifting Crosby to Pittsburgh started, coupled with the NHL wanting Crosby to win championships.

The NHL was really trying to bury Crosby down everyone’s throats coming out of a lock out.

Seems like they learned their lesson with Mcdavid. While he’s promoted, so are a couple handfuls of other players around the league.

They were 100% hated before Crosby.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IMO, the following reasons include:

1. Crosby
2. 2009, 2016, & 2017 Stanley Cup Champions
3. The overall attitude/culture that comes from Pittsburgh.

Now, hatred towards any sports' team is natural, but some people think the NHL is "rigged" each time the Penguins win the cup or when they receive so called "special treatment" from the refs. Furthermore, Crosby is a player that you either love or hate, but you got to respect him for the way he impacted the NHL.

So, is it jealously or something else?

As an oilers fan my on!y comment is that it annoys me the oilers het bashed none stop stop due to getting high picks in a row and when e bring you guys up, we are told that is a different matter

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
As an oilers fan my on!y comment is that it annoys me the oilers het bashed none stop stop due to getting high picks in a row and when e bring you guys up, we are told that is a different matter

That's probably because when other fanbases are bashing your team, they're not doing so logically, so holes in their argument don't really mean anything to them.

NOLAPensFan

Feb 19, 2014
Just look at the bold predictions thread on the main board. I lost count as to how many people predicted the Pens would miss the playoffs this upcoming season :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad