Why are the Penguins disliked by a majority of the NHL community?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Because the Pens win more than anyone and Crosby's the face of the league getting shoved down everyone's throat.

Basically the Patriots on a smaller scale.
Sidney Crosby also inflates pucks, kisses his dad on the mouth, and video tapes team's practices.

THAT MONSTER!

tenor.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean a stylized duck footprint and/or the name DUCKS spelled out on a jersey aren't doing it for you?

lol lol

I think the Pens current logo is perfect. Close enough to the OG. Not too stylized like the robopenguin.

Colors are simple, yet bright. No issues at all with the Pens branding right now. Ditching the Vegas gold was the single best thing to happen in the last 15 years....well...all those Cups too
I've come up with better after Burrito night, on the can.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The best part for me was in the first few years of Crosby's career, people used to come up to older Pens fans like myself and saying we were only fans because of Crosby. Lol, like in my early 30's I am suddenly a newfound hockey fan that was wearing a LEMIEUX jersey?

The hate is jealousy and yeah, they're jealous, 100%.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't they change to that puke gold to separate themselves from the Steelers and Pirates a bit? Or am I making that up?

I'm pretty sure it was right after the RoboPigeon era.

I associate it heavily with the bad times in the early aughts.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
There were people here on HFB claiming that the Pens would never ditch the Vegas gold because some of the seats in [then] Consol Energy Center were also Vegas gold...

Not a fan from day one. Total mistake. And they rolled with it for a damn decade and a half!!!!

A washed out shiny gold? Bleh. Rather have kept the RoboPen. Glad skating is back though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The best part for me was in the first few years of Crosby's career, people used to come up to older Pens fans like myself and saying we were only fans because of Crosby. Lol, like in my early 30's I am suddenly a newfound hockey fan that was wearing a LEMIEUX jersey?

The hate is jealousy and yeah, they're jealous, 100%.

I love how people kept/keep trying to make us feel like shit because our grandparents didn't like the sport/team enough, as if that's somehow our fault.

Didn't they change to that puke gold to separate themselves from the Steelers and Pirates a bit? Or am I making that up?

I'm pretty sure it was just chasing a marketing trend at the time (same gold as the Rams were wearing).

I'm less hostile to the vegas gold as most were, but I definitely grew tired of it and was happy to see it go. Looking back on it now I think it's safe to say the only reason I ever liked that color was because it was packaged with the return of the skating penguin.

I despise the robopigeon with every ounce of my being, so anything that got rid of that high crime was going to be roundly cheered for at least a few years. It didn't help that the RBK Edge jerseys turned the shiny gold into a muted beige.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love how people kept/keep trying to make us feel like shit because our grandparents didn't like the sport/team enough, as if that's somehow our fault.

I mean... there were some pretty lean times as far as attendance. But at least in my lifetime the worst points were clearly the already-mentioned early aughts. And considering how ungody, unforgivably, irredeemably awful they were I actually kinda thought the amount of people who showed up on average was somewhat impressive, if anything.

Can't speak for the 70s/80s.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was right after the RoboPigeon era.

I associate it heavily with the bad times in the early aughts.

Of course they changed from the powder blue to look more like the "champions" - Bucs (seriously) and Steelers - who both won championships in '79-'80. See "Sportsmen of the Year" Sports Illustrated Cover (see also Pitt, which had some great teams in the Marino era).

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I mean... there were some pretty lean times as far as attendance. But at least in my lifetime the worst points were clearly the already-mentioned early aughts. And considering how ungody, unforgivably, irredeemably awful they were I actually kinda thought the amount of people who showed up on average was somewhat impressive, if anything.

Can't speak for the 70s/80s.

Late 70's and especially early 80s teams were ****ing miserable. Two consecutive passes to teammates was an accomplishment; seriously. As for crowds, think of a crowd that went to see a concert at the Stanley Theater, but at the last minute they changed the venue to the Civic Arena. But at least the people in the crowds were knowledgeable about the game and the team, unlike the corporate types who invaded when the team became a bigger draw.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Of course they changed from the powder blue to look more like the "champions" - Bucs (seriously) and Steelers - who both won championships in '79-'80. See "Sportsmen of the Year" Sports Illustrated Cover (see also Pitt, which had some great teams in the Marino era).

Yeah I knew they switched from those beautiful baby blues to be more closely associated with greatness, or whatever (funny to talk about the Pirates that way, now). I just wasn't sure what the genesis of the Vegas gold was.

Late 70's and especially early 80s teams were ****ing miserable. Two consecutive passes to teammates was an accomplishment; seriously. As for crowds, think of a crowd that went to see a concert at the Stanley Theater, but at the last minute they changed the venue to the Civic Arena. But at least the people in the crowds were knowledgeable about the game and the team, unlike the corporate types who invaded when the team became a bigger draw.

Ha... reminds me of the early aughts Pens. I was stoked when they didn't put themselves offsides more than 10 times a game. Ryan Malone scored one goal that Crosby/Geno best like 20+ times a year and everyone went bonkers over him. Lean times.

I think the crowds were like 11K-ish on average in the X Generation days. Horrible, yes. But all things considered...

Reactions: Al Smith

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The line between camp and farce is a thin one and The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim crossed it. You probably have false eyelashes over the headlights of your car.
Oh wow, so cutting, I bet you're like super edgy and quote sick lines from Evanescence and Nickleback songs.

Lol that Oilers jab...

1. People recognize the team that the Oilers were in the 80's.
2. People don't hate the Oilers for being that team in the 80's.
3. People hate the Oilers because for the better part of a decade they purposely tanked to land top pick after top pick, unrivaled in the NHL for absolute pathetic behavior in that sense, to try and finally land a McDavid type and trying to draw on sympathy that they deserved that, they didn't, still don't.
4. No one hates the Oilers for being good, they hate them for being a pathetic joke of franchise.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I thought only Philly and Washington fans hated Pittsburgh?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Aww, poor guy. Oilers took up residence in your head, I see. The Oilers got high picks through good old fashioned stupidity and gross incompetence. The irony is that anti-tanking rules allowed the Oilers to get McDavid. And read up on the Pens tanking hard for Lemieux before you throw darts anyway.
You mean the entire group of teams that were out of the playoffs that year? Lol, if you're going to come at me, Bud, come at me with proper facts. I was old enough to know that year and not just read about it, kid. The Devils wished they tanked just a little harder than they did that year.

The Anti-tanking rules, btw, you can thank the Senators.
The Oilers purposely tanking for the better part of a decade though? You can try to play that Lemieux card all you want, that shit ain't going to make what the Oilers did, comparable. The fact that you think it was just gross incompetence that netted them those high picks is amusing, thanks for the chuckle, kid.

The only residence the Oilers take up for me is when I defecate into a toilet and the splatter along the bowl, reminds me of their logo.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No, they hate Pittsburgh the most. But, they're not the only ones, not by a long shot. :laugh:
There are Detroit Red Wings fans, for example, that still hold a grudge that the Penguins literally stopped their back 2 back bid by getting revenge on them. It's been 11yrs and some of them still stumble over themselves to trash the Penguins in any Penguins related thread on the main boards. Oilers fans for some reason have this need to prove McDavid is and always will be better than Crosby at any point in his career (like we care? Sid's resume speaks for itself, as Orr has pointed out as well as comments about McJesus).

Then there's the constant underrating of literally any Penguins player on the main board or media, but lets stick to the main board, when Malkin was dissed by that 100 top players thing, he finally became underrated enough to draw a positive response on the main board, but at the expense of Crosby, of course, that it's Sid and the push for him as the face of the team, that Malkin deserves better.

Which again, in our fan base, they're equal legends in our books. But outside of the fan base, it's this weird thing that oh the Pens stifle Geno, etc etc. So that hate from so many fan bases crack me up. Because after still trying to rebuild with Sid & Geno, the Pens haven't been a top 5 picking team (with their own pick) since 2006.

14yrs after the fact, it's what people want to latch on to. So with that, the Pens haven't had a top 10 pick in 14yrs, but have won 3 cups, after 2010 people wrote the Pens off as dead unless they started drafting super high again. Then the Pens reinvent themselves (and the entire league) and win back 2 back, while Sid & Geno are in their 30's. That, that right there, is what burns people the most.

People had us pegged, done in 2010 after the Halak shit and the Bylsma meltdowns etc. Then again, they were laughing at the Pens after MJ and getting Kessel and it being nothing until MJ was fired and in comes Sully and JR reinventing the team with Sully bringing some of the fresh blood from within, not even high picked guys, guys drafted in the 3rd round or lower that stepped up and played big roles - Kuhnhackl's, Guentzel's, Rust's, etc.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There are Detroit Red Wings fans, for example, that still hold a grudge that the Penguins literally stopped their back 2 back bid by getting revenge on them. It's been 11yrs and some of them still stumble over themselves to trash the Penguins in any Penguins related thread on the main boards. Oilers fans for some reason have this need to prove McDavid is and always will be better than Crosby at any point in his career (like we care? Sid's resume speaks for itself, as Orr has pointed out as well as comments about McJesus).

Then there's the constant underrating of literally any Penguins player on the main board or media, but lets stick to the main board, when Malkin was dissed by that 100 top players thing, he finally became underrated enough to draw a positive response on the main board, but at the expense of Crosby, of course, that it's Sid and the push for him as the face of the team, that Malkin deserves better.

Which again, in our fan base, they're equal legends in our books. But outside of the fan base, it's this weird thing that oh the Pens stifle Geno, etc etc. So that hate from so many fan bases crack me up. Because after still trying to rebuild with Sid & Geno, the Pens haven't been a top 5 picking team (with their own pick) since 2006.

14yrs after the fact, it's what people want to latch on to. So with that, the Pens haven't had a top 10 pick in 14yrs, but have won 3 cups, after 2010 people wrote the Pens off as dead unless they started drafting super high again. Then the Pens reinvent themselves (and the entire league) and win back 2 back, while Sid & Geno are in their 30's. That, that right there, is what burns people the most.

People had us pegged, done in 2010 after the Halak shit and the Bylsma meltdowns etc. Then again, they were laughing at the Pens after MJ and getting Kessel and it being nothing until MJ was fired and in comes Sully and JR reinventing the team with Sully bringing some of the fresh blood from within, not even high picked guys, guys drafted in the 3rd round or lower that stepped up and played big roles - Kuhnhackl's, Guentzel's, Rust's, etc.

Hell, Bruins fans still hate the Penguins because of what Ulfie did to Cam Neely. :biglaugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bruins fans hate the Pens because when we got away from the blue jerseys Bruins fans realized they are fans of the only sports team to make a black and gold color scheme look like shit.
Their original color was turd and yellow, Pittsburgh sports was Black & Yellow/Gold and the Penguins finally figured that out in the 80's. B's kept acting like they were owners of that color scheme when they are literally the only team in that State that rocks those colors while even the Red Socks and Pats are primarily Blue/Red. So their gripes are always comical to me.

Even before the Bruins went to Black and Gold, the Pirates rocked those colors well before they ever did.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Pretty sure most hockey fans of other teams don't give much thought to the Penguins. Just as most of us don't give much thought to other teams.

This is demonstratively false.
I live in the shadow of Detroit and since their own team has sucked since about 2010 that's all they talk about to me: Sid's dirty, Malkin should've been thrown out after Game 2, you had too many men on the ice

I call it Penguin Derangement Syndrome. They even make pot shots at SId even after he's done something for a kids' charity or whatever. It's comical, yet frightening

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Oh for sure, but also, rebrand that team again, that current logo is so boring and corporate looking. They should try to reach some partnership with Disney, with the new show and an NHL team to get exposure from and vice versa, then get the opportunity to use those jerseys again and go back to them full time.

The less Disney is involved in anything, the better.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad