Whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
With Stone's future (seemingly) nearing an end in Ottawa let me be the first to say that whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup this season (assuming he leaves Ottawa).

He is an absolute gamer who is born for playoff hockey, one of the best takeaway players of all time, solid defensively, near PPG player on one of the worst teams in the league, and a leader who wants absolutely nothing more than to win: seriously he celebrates when his team scores from the bench harder than the guy who actually scored the goal (seriously).

Please feel free to post in what will be an epic prediction thread.

I'm a Flames fan, I think we have an amazing team that could win the cup.

I think Mark Stone is an amazing player.

But our team's biggest holes are footspeed in the top 9 and goaltending.

Now I have believe that Rittich can be the guy in net, but he's not exactly Halak or MAF where he's taken over a series before.

Stone isn't a goalie. He can't make routine saves, goalies have to do that. He isn't on the ice 60 minutes a night, either.

Stone also isn't much faster than Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, or James Neal. In fact a top 9 featuring all four of those guys would be a pretty slow top 9. Neal got injured a couple weeks ago and replacing him with Austin Czarnik has been a revelation - the forecheck is so much more disruptive, breakouts so much more dangerous, and this is just our 3RW creating a line-after-line trickle effect and I would hardly call Neal a bad player.

In a league where speed kills I don't know how you can say adding Mark Stone makes any team a favourite over the Lightning, who have so much speed in Point, Johnson, Kucherov, Gourde, Palat, Stamkos, Miller that I get overwhelmed just thinking about it.

I'd love to add Stone. And then trade Neal. And then trade Monahan for Nico Hischier. And then add Rakell. etc. You know, re-tool to make Stone fit. But I don't think adding Stone makes us a favourite over the Lightning without those kind of tweaks. Those guys could give Team Canada a run for their money.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
With Stone's future (seemingly) nearing an end in Ottawa let me be the first to say that whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup this season (assuming he leaves Ottawa).

He is an absolute gamer who is born for playoff hockey, one of the best takeaway players of all time, solid defensively, near PPG player on one of the worst teams in the league, and a leader who wants absolutely nothing more than to win: seriously he celebrates when his team scores from the bench harder than the guy who actually scored the goal (seriously).

Please feel free to post in what will be an epic prediction thread.

edmonton is on it.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I'm a Flames fan, I think we have an amazing team that could win the cup.

I think Mark Stone is an amazing player.

But our team's biggest holes are footspeed in the top 9 and goaltending.

Now I have believe that Rittich can be the guy in net, but he's not exactly Halak or MAF where he's taken over a series before.

Stone isn't a goalie. He can't make routine saves, goalies have to do that. He isn't on the ice 60 minutes a night, either.

Stone also isn't much faster than Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, or James Neal. In fact a top 9 featuring all four of those guys would be a pretty slow top 9. Neal got injured a couple weeks ago and replacing him with Austin Czarnik has been a revelation - the forecheck is so much more disruptive, breakouts so much more dangerous, and this is just our 3RW creating a line-after-line trickle effect and I would hardly call Neal a bad player.

In a league where speed kills I don't know how you can say adding Mark Stone makes any team a favourite over the Lightning, who have so much speed in Point, Johnson, Kucherov, Gourde, Palat, Stamkos, Miller that I get overwhelmed just thinking about it.

I'd love to add Stone. And then trade Neal. And then trade Monahan for Nico Hischier. And then add Rakell. etc. You know, re-tool to make Stone fit. But I don't think adding Stone makes us a favourite over the Lightning without those kind of tweaks. Those guys could give Team Canada a run for their money.

What? So you rather have athanasiou over stone for your team because speed?

Talent > speed 8 days a week

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Not a guarantee but would make you're team much better 5 on 5 and on the pk, he has a bit of difficulty on power plays.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Well this will be cool. I'm going to Vegas near the end of may/ealry June. Since they are totally winning, maybe I'll be there for the parade.

Thanks OP. You should dye your hair pink and change your name to Miss Cleo.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't count Vegas out of it, BUT they may have the most difficult path to the Cup of any contender. Imagine having to go through both of the Sharks & Flames, one of Winnipeg/Nashville and the East winner.

I suppose Boston/Toronto might be able to match that in terms of difficulty, but I also don't think Vegas is a good as Boston/Toronto.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Sens fans overrate their players more than any other team in the league by far.

This is an insightful argument full of compelling facts and statistics. I hear a Pulitzer prize nomination is being discussed on this one.
All fans overrate their teams players to an extent. Stone was the best player available at this deadline, so it does not take a genius to figure out he would get the most hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad