Whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Another overrated player from Ottawa.

Wasn't Karlsson supposed to torch the league once he got on a new team? Getting outplayed by Burns who Ottawa fans said wasn't on the same level. :laugh:

upload_2019-4-15_16-28-32.png

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is gold. Stone is 5x the playoff performer your captain is.

Hell, he has more goals than your entire team. :laugh:

He's also got the same amount of cups :laugh: stone will choke like he did in 2016 and like Vegas last year. Welcome to the club.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He's also got the same amount of cups :laugh: stone will choke like he did in 2016 and like Vegas last year. Welcome to the club.

I mean, choke is a term usually reserved for teams/players with very high expectations.

With 13 points in 27 playoff games, and a playing on an expansion team, I'd guess expectations are fairly low/reasonable.

Tampa Bay on the other hand.......

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stone is an absolute beast. I don’t know if Vegas will win it all this year but they’ll look like a team that’s going to continue to be super competitive well into the future with Stone the centerpiece of a filthy deep forward core. Consider they are this good with Haula out this year, MaxPac not exactly having a gang buster season, etc. Now we are going to through in the best forward in the world outside the NHL for added measure?

Really can’t say enough about the team building that’s happened in the desert there...there have been a few misteps and overpays but far more really awesome moves. And even with Brannstrom and Suzuki gone, they still have some studs like Glass and Hague coming up. Their drafting looks like it’s been superb.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Everytime I watch Stone play I think the same thing: how good would this guy be if he could actually skate?

You look at some of the other players in this current series...what if he was a fast as Carrier or Kane?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Everytime I watch Stone play I think the same thing: how good would this guy be if he could actually skate?

You look at some of the other players in this current series...what if he was a fast as Carrier or Kane?

Honestly, part of the reason he's so great at anticipating and stealing pucks is the fact that he can't necessarily chase opposing players down.

I don't think he'd be the same player or have the same hockey IQ if he were faster.

I will say that he's worked on his skating over summers since the WJC breakout and his speed is noticeably better.

"He reached out to us after being drafted. Randy (Lee, current assistant general manager, then Senators director of hockey operations and player development) and I spoke about what was the best approach for Mark," explained former long-time team skating consultant Marc Power. "We developed a plan. Mark helped with that plan. He sent me videos from the Wheat Kings. I would analyze them, send him information back. He would start doing the work."

Crediting Stone's willingness to study and practice skating technique in making him the player he is today, Power told the Sporting News, "When you work with a player, it's a two-way street. This is an athlete who wanted to make it. One hundred per cent of the credit goes to Mark Stone. He wanted to become a better skater so he could do what does naturally. He's a great shooter. Has an amazing stick. His Hockey IQ is off the charts. His biggest road block was, could he skate well enough to play in the NHL?"

Watching the Winnipeg native skate today, it's plain to see Stone was a Grade A student.

"We did a lot of off-ice skating simulations to get his body more efficient. He worked on his one-foot stability, teaching him where the power comes from underneath his body," Power added. "Basically for Mark, we had to get his posture in line a little bit, making him fit in his hockey stance better, getting more pressure on his skate blades. Teaching him how to glide. Also making his arms and legs move in sync. We taught him explosive starts. Tweaks like that allowed Mark to get up and down the ice more efficiently. But it was repetition on skating strides and long strides.

"For example, if you watch him now, he's always facing the puck. He's so in tune with what's going on, so aware of the game. That really helped him, but he wanted to do it. We showed him what to do and he went out did it."

'Tremendous competitor' Mark Stone overcame skating woes to become NHL star with Senators

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Dude, your allstar regular season team is one loss away from being swept. So please keep on talking about choking.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This isn’t true. He’s in his prime. By the second half of his contract he’ll be declining. He’s a great player though, worth every penny.

Hmmm no this isnt true... i feel he is just approaching it.. He did this in junior too.. He was a very good player in his draft year and then after his draft year when he put up just over 100 points and people were estatic. Then the following year he put up 123 points in less games than previous year and people were in shock and Sens fans thought they had the steal of the century. Not to mention the other parts of his game that kept getting better.

His career high for points in a season in NHL is only 64 so far. He will start shattering that total more and more each year that comes now.

He will be around 75 - 80ish points next season and his totals will continue to climb each year

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Hmmm no this isnt true... i feel he is just approaching it.. He did this in junior too.. He was a very good player in his draft year and then after his draft year when he put up just over 100 points and people were estatic. Then the following year he put up 123 points in less games than previous year and people were in shock and Sens fans thought they had the steal of the century. Not to mention the other parts of his game that kept getting better.

His career high for points in a season in NHL is only 64 so far. He will start shattering that total more and more each year that comes now.

He will be around 75 - 80ish points next season and his totals will continue to climb each year

He was on pace to be ppg with the Senators.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Depends on the player, but there isn't a rule. This isn't NHL 19.

No rule, but it’s the norm. Almost every player starts declining in late 20’s. Literally the only exception I can think of is Brad Marchant. Not saying Stone won’t improve, but I doubt his points continue too go up after the next year or two.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
No rule, but it’s the norm. Almost every player starts declining in late 20’s. Literally the only exception I can think of is Brad Marchant. Not saying Stone won’t improve, but I doubt his points continue too go up after the next year or two.

Patrick Kane, Blake Wheeler, Patrice Bergeron, etc. Player development is not a linear equation that can be applied to every player and Stone has improved every year so far. It would not be surprising to see him continue to grow better as a player, especially now that he's starting to mesh on Vegas. Put me down for a PPG season or two along with great 2 way play still to come.

Reactions: CharlieJormad

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Another overrated player from Ottawa.

This aged well. I bet Tampa wishes they had someone like Stone right about now lmao. You are definitely one of the posters that make everyone else on HF so happy about the outcome so far in your series :)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This aged well. I bet Tampa wishes they had someone like Stone right about now lmao. You are definitely one of the posters that make everyone else on HF so happy about the outcome so far in your series :)

Cute, an Edmonton fan. You're still relevant? :laugh:

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Such a fantastic player, i'm still blown away that ottawa felt that he wasn't good enough to keep at only 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad