Whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
With Stone's future (seemingly) nearing an end in Ottawa let me be the first to say that whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup this season (assuming he leaves Ottawa).

He is an absolute gamer who is born for playoff hockey, one of the best takeaway players of all time, solid defensively, near PPG player on one of the worst teams in the league, and a leader who wants absolutely nothing more than to win: seriously he celebrates when his team scores from the bench harder than the guy who actually scored the goal (seriously).

Please feel free to post in what will be an epic prediction thread.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Well I think if Nashville/Winnipeg/Calgary did then yes, but Chicago could and I don't think that puts them over the top what so ever.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
With Stone's future (seemingly) nearing an end in Ottawa let me be the first to say that whoever acquires Mark Stone will win the Stanley Cup this season (assuming he leaves Ottawa).

He is an absolute gamer who is born for playoff hockey, one of the best takeaway players of all time, solid defensively, near PPG player on one of the worst teams in the league, and a leader who wants absolutely nothing more than to win: seriously he celebrates when his team scores from the bench harder than the guy who actually scored the goal (seriously).

Please feel free to post in what will be an epic prediction thread.
Kings or ducks should go get him then . One last cup for an old team would be alright .

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
13 points in 27 career playoff games = born for playoff hockey

I mean, to be fair, most of those games were as a very young player in the NHL on an Ottawa team that didn't belong in the playoffs or he was injured.

He's just entered his prime to be honest.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He wasn't the ppg monster he was now back then tho. And subban broke his hand for one of those playoffs

Yeah I understand that but he was still a 60 point player who was elite defensively.

At any rate, I think OP is being a bit sensationalist. I can see this same type of thread being made if Karlsson was still with Ottawa and just about to be traded, but now “San Jose will win the Cup because of Karlsson” isn’t a sexy, sensationalist thread to make like this one is.

In reality, if a team like Nashville or Vegas acquires Mark Stone, they are still definitely not winning the Cup.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
How often does the team that wins the Cup make the biggest free agent acquisition?

Since 2006, here's the big acquisitions that paid off for the eventual cup winners:
-2006 Hurricanes acquired Mark Recchi, who played an important part in the win.
-2011 Bruins made a ton of acquisitions (including big ticket Kaberle), but Kelly and Peverley were more impactful than Kaberle (I'd argue Kaberle was a passenger on that team).
-2014 Kings acquired Gaborik, and he played a huge part in the win.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Can Tampa afford such a move?
As a rental, they could, assuming their owner wouldn't refuse to deal with us again.

Cost will be high though, and I'm not sure it makes sense for Tampa to pursue a guy that will cost what he will cost in assets without intentions of keeping him.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's going to be a good add for whatever team adds him. Not sure though that he's the missing piece to any team's Stanley Cup puzzle, however.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he manages to acclimatize himself with his new team quickly, he will surely contribute a lot.

Reactions: Devonator

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
How often does the team that wins the Cup make the biggest free agent acquisition?

Since 2006, here's the big acquisitions that paid off for the eventual cup winners:
-2006 Hurricanes acquired Mark Recchi, who played an important part in the win.
-2011 Bruins made a ton of acquisitions (including big ticket Kaberle), but Kelly and Peverley were more impactful than Kaberle (I'd argue Kaberle was a passenger on that team).
-2014 Kings acquired Gaborik, and he played a huge part in the win.

That's weird I remember only Bergeron having more assists than Kaberle in the playoffs.
I also think Kaberle lead the D in points too.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
hes played in the playoffs before so its not like hes been waiting his entire career to break into the playoffs and put a team on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->