Sportsnet: Who stays and who goes on Senators’ list of pending free agents?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't mind us taking Galchenyuk as a cap dump and a pick from Pittsburgh.

We could probably even move a piece to them and nab another first and a galchenyuk try out.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The main reason that nothing is happening yet is that most of the teams that might be buyers are so close to the cap that they will wait as long as possible thus taking on less salary.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
At best he has 1 or 2 assets to move. I do not believe that their market value is that high.

I doubt there will be a biding war. so why not take your time and concentrate on other matters, like deep scouting. There is a bucket of picks in the next two years. There are a number of moves associated with them.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't want a circus this time around

_pdp_sq_
Lol. I'm sure there will be riots in front of CTC after trading our 3rd line center looking to capitalize on an outlier season and spare parts.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Lol. I'm sure there will be riots in front of CTC after trading our 3rd line center looking to capitalize on an outlier season and spare parts.

Honestly all EM needs to do to piss everyone off is move one of our first to get rid of bobby ryan at 0 retention.

Reactions: Gesus

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No one is touching Bobby Ryan's contract - period, full stop.

The one pending UFA that I would make a huge push to sign is DeMelo. He is young enough to still deliver you solid value for the next few years, and he won't break the bank.

For as much as I love Pageau and Boro and what they have done for the team, you have to move those guys for assets. Pageau will soon be a $4 million a year fourth line centre, not an ideal situation. Ditto for Boro, who within two seasons will be a 6/7 guy either playing sheltered minutes or being a healthy scratch. Those roles are for young guys on entry level deals, of which we will have a multitude.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The main reason that nothing is happening yet is that most of the teams that might be buyers are so close to the cap that they will wait as long as possible thus taking on less salary.
Really? Man i thought it was because PD is an incompetent boob.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Really? Man i thought it was because PD is an incompetent boob.
Both.

Any team can take on Boro, Demelo and Ennis's cap hit.

If im trading for a guy i think i want to re sign then the team shouldn't wait.

Pageau, Anderson, Hainsey, Tierney make a little more depending on the team the sens may need to wait to make a move or take back salary.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At best he has 1 or 2 assets to move. I do not believe that their market value is that high.

I doubt there will be a biding war. so why not take your time and concentrate on other matters, like deep scouting. There is a bucket of picks in the next two years. There are a number of moves associated with them.
No at worst its 2 Demelo and Pageau. At best its realistically 7 players on expiring contracts. Deep scouting is for the scouts the GM should be working on expiring contracts either getting assets back or extending the player.

The standard on this board for Pierre Dorions performance is so inexplicably low i find it mind boggling. If he actually does his job maximizing these assets they could have a Karlsson esque return but you legitimally would give him a pass on not doing his job to simply scout....

Reactions: BatherSeason

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
No at worst its 2 Demelo and Pageau. At best its realistically 7 players on expiring contracts. Deep scouting is for the scouts the GM should be working on expiring contracts either getting assets back or extending the player.

The standard on this board for Pierre Dorions performance is so inexplicably low i find it mind boggling. If he actually does his job maximizing these assets they could have a Karlsson esque return but you legitimally would give him a pass on not doing his job to simply scout....

Yes,

But I can only go on what I hear and see in Media..The man's role has a heavy scouting component. At least that is what is being portrayed..Over the last year or so, I have had the sense that he has re-assumed a Chief Scout job on top of his GM role....Granted that could be him, hiding away!!!

As for Dorion's low expectations..My hide is worn to the bone for the beatings, I have taken criticizing him.

I am not egging you on, I promise..But I see his UFA's RFA's..this is going to sound mean, but I don't see it as all that valuable a list. 1-2 guys have some value, 1-2 guys are "need to sign". 4-5 guys are: offer something decent and watch them jump, if not. Bye-bye, we can replace you in 2 minutes. There are 4-5 guys on this team, that should sign just about any contract in front of them.

Please no war..it just an opinion. Its Friday and we all should be happy.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
I wouldn't mind us taking Galchenyuk as a cap dump and a pick from Pittsburgh.

We could probably even move a piece to them and nab another first and a galchenyuk try out.

I could see that

Pageau and a 3rd for Galchenyuk, some middling prospect and a 1st

Reactions: BK201

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Thought this was an interesting nugget by Garrioch from the other day:

"If it sounds like Dorion has a lot on his plate in the next six weeks, he does, but there’s no reason to believe the Senators won’t be able to get good return for the players who they try to sign but who opt not to stay or the other veterans they feel are expendable as this organization continues to give its young prospects a chance."

Interesting choice of words to describe a future Pageau/Boro trade. Seems to follow the same "We tried" M.O that this city and fanbase is used to by now.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

"If it sounds like Dorion has a lot on his plate in the next six weeks, he does, but there’s no reason to believe the Senators won’t be able to get good return for the players who they try to sign but who opt not to stay or the other veterans they feel are expendable as this organization continues to give its young prospects a chance."

Interesting choice of words to describe a future Pageau trade. Seems to follow the same "We tried" M.O that this city and fanbase is used to by now.
The Spin has begun.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The Spin has begun.

Such a loser mentality. Signing a player like Pageau (if you actually want to keep him) should be routine.

• We have all the cap space that we need
• He's from here, and has played his entire career here
• You've told everyone that we're going to be competing for the playoffs next year, and we'll be a cup contender the year after, so the "he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild" excuse doesn't fly anymore

If you want to keep him, sign him.
If you don't, trade him.

But I'm sure we'll hear Dorion's typical "we tried but couldn't make it work, he chose to move on" BS.

Reactions: BatherSeason

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Also looks like Dorion will be delaying any contract and/or trade negotiations for yet another week:

"With five picks in the first two rounds of the NHL draft in June, Dorion wasn’t on hand Thursday night. Instead, he travelled to Hamilton to take in the CHL’s top prospects game. Next week, he’s headed to Europe to see a lot of the top-rated draft-eligible players. Once Dorion returns from overseas, his focus will be back on getting ready for the Feb. 24 trade deadline at 3 p.m. EST."

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
y

Interesting choice of words to describe a future Pageau/Boro trade. Seems to follow the same "We tried" M.O that this city and fanbase is used to by now.
you need to just ignore anything Bruce writes like that. People said something he wrote in the summer meant Colin White was 100% going to be traded (I forgot what the comment was). It means nothing. We also don't have any players left that people will really care about being traded this deadline.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Agreed but I just mean not the same level as star players.

Also I have always liked Boro but this guy was constantly trashed (unfairly) so I don't think trading him will affect everyone.
I think people have changed their tune on Boro quite a bit, I know I have. I still don't think that he is the greatest hockey player, but the other elements he brings are quite valuable to a team that has been absolutely gutted of players who have made an impact in the community. The Stone/Karlsson wounds are still fresh, Boro and Pageau being moved will have a greater impact on a portion of the fanbase than you think.

I personally think that in a rebuild, re-signing either player makes no sense, but a lot of people don't share my opinion.

Reactions: SensFan1010

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

There's no Karlssonesque return on the horizon Bert. If that is your expectation i guess we should all buckle up for a new round of the team having no idea what it is doing

Pageau might get a 1st. It may also be a 2021 protected 1st. And that is the likely high side

Hainsey might get a mid round pick

Boro could potentially go as high as a late 2nd but that might be asking a lot

DeMelo might go as high as a second

Namestikov wont return much of anything

Ennis might get a 2nd tier prospect

Anisimov likely isnt movable

Karlsson returned an unprotected 1st.
A blue chipper in Norris
An AHL rookie aged leading scorer
A 6/7 d man that had played 60 plus games the season prior that ended up blossoming in ottawa
A legit 3 C
A 2nd

He won't be near that kind of haul

And the team has already said this past week that they place value on mixing the kids with some vets so they are not all on the move

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There's no Karlssonesque return on the horizon Bert. If that is your expectation i guess we should all buckle up for a new round of the team having no idea what it is doing

Pageau might get a 1st. It may also be a 2021 protected 1st. And that is the likely high side

Hainsey might get a mid round pick

Boro could potentially go as high as a late 2nd but that might be asking a lot

DeMelo might go as high as a second

Namestikov wont return much of anything

Ennis might get a 2nd tier prospect

Anisimov likely isnt movable

Karlsson returned an unprotected 1st.
A blue chipper in Norris
An AHL rookie aged leading scorer
A 6/7 d man that had played 60 plus games the season prior that ended up blossoming in ottawa
A legit 3 C
A 2nd

He won't be near that kind of haul

And the team has already said this past week that they place value on mixing the kids with some vets so they are not all on the move

Wait wait wait JD1 you defended the Namestinikov deal at the time and said they would atleast get what they gave up.

Also at the time no one thought or predicted the San Jose first to be what it is. I am talking about a similar value return to what the sens got at the time of the deal.

Pageau is atleast getting what Kevin Hayes got last year. There is less available on the market this year too.

Demelo has lots of trade value much more than Boro.

This is what they should be able to get in my opinion.

Pageau 1st and 3rd
Demelo 2nd
Boro 3rd/4th
Ennis 3rd/4th
Namestinkov 3rd/4th
Hainsey 3rd/4th
Tierney 2nd plus decent prospect.

So that would be
1st in this draft which is a better asset than Norris
with a total of 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th + decent prospect/young player. 9 total assets.
Pretty close to the Karlsson package from a value perspective at the time of the deal. Not quite as much but close.

This team wont be competing for a Stanley Cup at a minimum of 4 more seasons they should be accumulating assets to move them when the time is to compete.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Also looks like Dorion will be delaying any contract and/or trade negotiations for yet another week:

"With five picks in the first two rounds of the NHL draft in June, Dorion wasn’t on hand Thursday night. Instead, he travelled to Hamilton to take in the CHL’s top prospects game. Next week, he’s headed to Europe to see a lot of the top-rated draft-eligible players. Once Dorion returns from overseas, his focus will be back on getting ready for the Feb. 24 trade deadline at 3 p.m. EST."

Im pretty sure that mactavish the assistant GM does the contract stuff...that's what he was hired for

The potential contracts that we need to sign are mid to bottom level players at mid to lower level salaries

I imagine there are not to exceed numbers in terms of both salary and term....pretty straight forward stuff... no real need for PD to be front and center

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wait wait wait JD1 you defended the Namestinikov deal at the time and said they would atleast get what they gave up.

Also at the time no one thought or predicted the San Jose first to be what it is. I am talking about a similar value return to what the sens got at the time of the deal.

Pageau is atleast getting what Kevin Hayes got last year. There is less available on the market this year too.

Demelo has lots of trade value much more than Boro.

This is what they should be able to get in my opinion.

Pageau 1st and 3rd
Demelo 2nd
Boro 3rd/4th
Ennis 3rd/4th
Namestinkov 3rd/4th
Hainsey 3rd/4th
Tierney 2nd plus decent prospect.

So that would be
1st in this draft which is a better asset than Norris
with a total of 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th + decent prospect/young player. 9 total assets.
Pretty close to the Karlsson package from a value perspective at the time of the deal. Not quite as much but close.

This team wont be competing for a Stanley Cup at a minimum of 4 more seasons they should be accumulating assets to move them when the time is to compete.

I don't remember having extensive discussion about the Namestikov acquisition at the time but they got him for a 4th....i could potentially see him moving for a 4th...not much to give up or get

I don't see any way that they move both Pageau and Tierney. If White was going gangbusters i could see it but he's not

I don't think that there will be as many buyers this year. Less bubble teams

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't remember having extensive discussion about the Namestikov acquisition at the time but they got him for a 4th....i could potentially see him moving for a 4th...not much to give up or get

I don't see any way that they move both Pageau and Tierney. If White was going gangbusters i could see it but he's not

I don't think that there will be as many buyers this year. Less bubble teams

From a contract standpoint they should be trading both of them. Neither should be in the teams long term plans, they are going to draft a centerman in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00