Sportsnet: Who stays and who goes on Senators’ list of pending free agents?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Trade: Ennis, Anisimov, Boedker, Hainsey

Keep: Pageau, Tierney, Demelo, Boro

I would trade any of those 8 players if the price was right, but I agree that the last 4 have future value to the team whereas the first 4 do not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Getting rid of Demelo is pretty important imo unless he's willing to accept a 1 or 2 year deal.

We already have Zaitsev locked in. If we lock in Demelo, 2/3 of our right side are set to be subpar long term and the team will continue to struggle and we don't leave many spots for guys to break through so we can improve internally.

But yeah essentially locking in 2 RD who are basically 5/6 guys is a mistake. If Zaitsev didn't exist than this would be possible but Dorion decided we needed this guy for 5 years.
Excellent point. No need for two bottom pairing Right D locked up with any kind of term.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Then find a way to trade Zaitsev. I would keep DeMelo over Zaitsev 99 times out of 100.
I'm sure everyone here would, but is Zaitsev really trade-able with that kind of term attached and not getting the new lease on his game many expected with the change of scenery?

Feels like we made our bed on that one and will just have to try to make the best of it.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Just f... it and roll with it!

Tkachuk - LB - Duclair
Balcers - Pageau - Batherson
Formenton - White - Namestnikov
Abramov - Norris - Davidsson

Trade:
Tierney
C. Brown
Ennis

Do whatever list:
Boedker
Ryan
Anisimov

Reactions: gab6511

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Keep: Pageau, Duke, Paul, C. Brown (Pageau gets the C), Ennis

Trade: Tierney, Namestnikov, Boedker, DeMelo, Anderson, Anismov

On the fence: Boro

Last edited:
Reactions: dany milkbag

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Trade:

Nasty90
Anderson
Hainsey (unless the return is minimal, otherwise I’m okay with him mentoring for the rest of the year)
Ennis
Boedker
Tierney

Keep:
Pageau
Duke
Melo
Brown
Paul

Not including if we draft high-end player that can slot in right away...

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Balcers-White-Batherson
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Abramov-Chlapik-Davidsson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Melo
Wolanin-Jaros-Boro

Nilsson
Hogberg

Not loving the RD, but JBD and Thomson should hopefully make the jump after a year in the A.

Agree with this, except I would flip flop between keeping/trading Tierney and Pageau based on their contract demands and what they could return on the trade market.

I would also make a small attempt at keeping Namestnikov if the price is right, but only if the price is right.

I would also maybe look for a UFA backup goalie.

Also, Anisimov missing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zaitsev, DeMelo & Boro all on the right side seems weak. That's 3 guys suited for the bottom pair on a good team.

I mean, that's why we have JBD and Thomson in the system, and can hope that Jaros takes a step forward and exceeds expectations.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean, that's why we have JBD and Thomson in the system, and can hope that Jaros takes a step forward and exceeds expectations.
Agreed. I meant in the context of needing to give any kind of term to get them to stick around and thus being the 3 RD for 2-3 more years.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
What I think we can get for some of these guys at the deadline:

Demelo (UFA) - 3rd rounder
Namestnikov (UFA) - 3rd/4th rounder
Tierney (RFA) - 2nd rounder
Anderson (UFA) - 5th rounder
Boedker (UFA) - a frown and a handshake

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

DeMelo will get more than a 3rd rounder if he's dealt; other than that, I agree. I could see Names maybe getting a 3rd + later pick and Tierney getting a 2nd + later pick, too

Reactions: SensFactor

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017

You can get an ass kicking for Boedker. He's worth jack shit.

Reactions: SensFactor

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
DeMelo will get more than a 3rd rounder if he's dealt; other than that, I agree. I could see Names maybe getting a 3rd + later pick and Tierney getting a 2nd + later pick, too

Tierney would get a 1st minimum. He's young, he's an RFA. He's a proven middle 6 player. There's a huge difference in value between a expiring UFA, and an RFA. Tierney is no rental. Pageau would most likely be a rental.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Tierney would get a 1st minimum. He's young, he's an RFA. He's a proven middle 6 player. There's a huge difference in value between a expiring UFA, and an RFA. Tierney is no rental.

I'm not so sure. I think you can make the case (Ryan Hartman being your best comparable) but I just don't think Tierney does anything exceptionally enough to get a 1st rounder. He's a good player but not a difference maker. Maybe I'm wrong, but while I could see several teams willingly giving up a 2nd or more, I can't see anyone giving up a 1st.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tierney would get a 1st minimum. He's young, he's an RFA. He's a proven middle 6 player. There's a huge difference in value between a expiring UFA, and an RFA. Tierney is no rental. Pageau would most likely be a rental.

Tierney might get a 2nd. He won't get a 1st.

I'd keep DeMelo. I don't see him getting more than a 3rd and he's worth more than that to us.

Micklebot said:
I mean, that's why we have JBD and Thomson in the system.

At least 3 years out before contributing at a high level?

Reactions: DrEasy

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

I Would rather keep him for another year or 2, then getting a 3rd/4th, till a younger player is ready to take his spot.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sell high. Take offers on everyone on the roster. Get more serviceable vets next season. Prolong the pain. Keep stockpiling elite top end picks and solid role guys.

When its finally time, lock up an elite tennie and ice a juggernaut.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I take offers on all the UFA / RFA’s and also Duc and White.
For Duc I need an elite prospect, ideally a top 5-15 pick from 2017-19 and for White I take a late first early second or equivalent prospect and keep Pager.

Sad to see Duc go but he has the ability to slide into the first line on a cap crunch team and support an overpay in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad