Sportsnet: Who stays and who goes on Senators’ list of pending free agents?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Dorion is in the driver seat right now, there is no rush to make any rash signings or trades until after the New Year. At least by then, the team would have played enough games to really show management which players are ready for full time NHL roles and which are not. It also gives us time to see if a guy like Pageau is on a hot streak, or has simply elevated his game to another level and deserves a pay raise or if he should be traded for more futures.

There really are not much untouchables on this team, actually probably none, however realistically we know that Chabot, Tkachuk and probably Brown are going nowhere. The rest are in the "won't make a difference if they stay or go" as long as we get reasonable compensation if we decide not to keep them. I think realistically, we need more top line players, because that automatically drops other players down the depth chart and places them in more comfortable positions, but right no we are lacking in high end first line talent so we might have to make due with what we have for now.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We know what Pageau is he is on a hot streak. They should trade him. They should trade all the players on expiring UFA deals. Plus Tierney he needs a new contract too and he is an RFA one year away from being a UFA. Its really not a dilemma if they have an actual plan in place moving forward.

Pageau, Ennis, Namestinikov, Tierney, Demelo, Boro, Hainsey and Anderson should all be in different jerseys after the trade deadline. If a team will actually take Anisimov, Boedker and Ryan then they should be traded too. Its just not very likely for those players but the sens need them to get to the floor.

The article talks about which players to commit to. Id like to see multi year deals for Duclair, C Brown and Paul. I dont think its out if the question that none of Namestinikov, Demelo, Boro and Pageau make it to UFA after being traded. If the sens want to they can make a run at them or similar UFA's. Carolina waited and got great dollar value on Gardiner and Dzingel. With the way the salary structure is with young players getting big money early there will be bargain style opportunities out there.

Tkachuk L. Brown Duclair
Paul White C Brown
Balcers Anisimov Ryan
Boedker Chlapik Sabourin
Beaudin

Chabot Zaitsev
Wolanin Goloboef
Brannstrom Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

Thats what i want to see post deadline.

Last edited:

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Trade: Boro, Anderson, Hainsey, Namestnikov and one of Tierney or Pageau

Keep: Duclair, Brown, Demelo (none should cost that much 2-4 mill)

Hope they disappear: Boedker, Anisimov, Ryan

Boro, and Anderson have been outstanding members of the team for a long time but it's time to give the younger players a chance and at the same time give Andy and Boro a chance to get some playoff action in.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Trade:

Nasty90
Anderson
Hainsey (unless the return is minimal, otherwise I’m okay with him mentoring for the rest of the year)
Ennis
Boedker
Tierney

Keep:
Pageau
Duke
Melo
Brown
Paul

Not including if we draft high-end player that can slot in right away...

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Balcers-White-Batherson
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Abramov-Chlapik-Davidsson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Melo
Wolanin-Jaros-Boro

Nilsson
Hogberg

Not loving the RD, but JBD and Thomson should hopefully make the jump after a year in the A.

Reactions: NB613 and Icelevel

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The 2020 draft picks won't matter for a good 2-3 years at least. You likely only need to worry about one spot if we happen to score a lotto pick.

And to be honest, as long as the contracts are stupid, damned near anyone is movable down the road. Just do everything possible to keep contract length at 3 years if possible, and a reasonable price. If any pending UFAs don't agree to that, then start looking for a trade partner.

Reactions: topshelf15

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Trade:

Nasty90
Anderson
Hainsey (unless the return is minimal, otherwise I’m okay with him mentoring for the rest of the year)
Ennis
Boedker
Tierney

Keep:
Pageau
Duke
Melo
Brown
Paul

Not including if we draft high-end player that can slot in right away...

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Balcers-White-Batherson
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Abramov-Chlapik-Davidsson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Melo
Wolanin-Jaros-Boro

Nilsson
Hogberg

Not loving the RD, but JBD and Thomson should hopefully make the jump after a year in the A.
Agreed with all but I try to put Formenton in. Maybe a swap with Abramov

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Keep: Pageau (if demands aren't to high), Duclair, Brown

Trade/Drop: Boedker, Namestnikov, Tierney, Ennis, Sabourin, Hainsey, Boro, Demelo, Anderson.

Buy Out: Ryan

This thread could use a poll perhaps?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Keep: Pageau (if demands aren't to high), Duclair, Brown

Trade/Drop: Boedker, Namestnikov, Tierney, Ennis, Sabourin, Hainsey, Boro, Demelo, Anderson.

Buy Out: Ryan

This thread could use a poll perhaps?
For me we likely keep 1 of these two ,as they both play the same role...JGP is the man obviously but will come with a higher price tag,so I think we move him and keep a cheaper Brown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Wolanin and Jaros are up next year, well by the end of the season really. So, to me, we move one of Boro or DeMelo, and resign the other. Hainsey is gone to a contender. My preference would be to keep DeMelo, but whoever we try to re-sign should be somebody we are ok with becoming a 7th D should the rookies outperform them. Not sure DeMelo re-signs for a contract low enough for that.

Up front, re-sign Duclair, callup Balcers and Batherson. Trade Namestnikov, Ennis, and if possible Ryan, Boedker, and Anisimov. One of Pageau or Tierney to be re-signed, the other traded.

After the deadline, rotate in some of the kids from Belleville (not all at the same time as Boedker, Anisimov will likely be here)

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Balcers-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney/Pageau-CBrown
Formenton/Chlapik-Norris-Davidsson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Jaros
Wolanin-whoever of DeMelo or Boro stays

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really think trading Demelo is not the best idea. The guy is solid. He is not easy to replace.

Anderson retires a Senator.
He can walk for nothing at the end of the year. Then they get nothing for him at all in a season that they are rebuilding. If any of the UFA'S arent extended by the trade deadline they have to be traded.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He can walk for nothing at the end of the year. Then they get nothing for him at all in a season that they are rebuilding. If any of the UFA'S arent extended by the trade deadline they have to be traded.

I think this is a given. Tell anybody you would like to return next year that a deal has to be done by 1 Feb, otherwise they will be on the market at the trade deadline.

With Pageau, Namestnikov, Ennis. Boedker, Hainsey, DeMelo, Boro, and Anderson all UFA, there's a strong chance we run out of suitors and can't deal all of the guys we would like. We're kind of flooding the market.

Reactions: Sen sational

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think this is a given. Tell anybody you would like to return next year that a deal has to be done by 1 Feb, otherwise they will be on the market at the trade deadline.

With Pageau, Namestnikov, Ennis. Boedker, Hainsey, DeMelo, Boro, and Anderson all UFA, there's a strong chance we run out of suitors and can't deal all of the guys we would like. We're kind of flooding the market.
Thats why they should start now, especially with the team getting healthy. There is always a market for depth d and centermen. Its Ennis and Namestinikov that might ne challenging to move. Skilled non impact wingers arent typically what playoff teams are looking for.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My predictions and the route I would take this summer are as follows.

UFA's Traded at deadline: Pageau, Boro, Demelo Hainsey, Anderson
Ties cut and let walk after season: Boedker
Bought out in summer: Anisimov
UFA Re-signed: Namestnikov
RFA Commitment mid to long term this summer: Duclair, C. Brown
RFA short term only: Tierney, Paul

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Trade: Ennis, Anisimov, Boedker, Hainsey

Keep: Pageau, Tierney, Demelo, Boro

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Thats why they should start now, especially with the team getting healthy. There is always a market for depth d and centermen. Its Ennis and Namestinikov that might ne challenging to move. Skilled non impact wingers arent typically what playoff teams are looking for.
we aren't really flooding the market teams will always want depth guys and most of those guys won't return anything significant.

I also wouldn't mind signing Names to a one year deal like Duclair.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dorion is in the driver seat right now, there is no rush to make any rash signings or trades until after the New Year. At least by then, the team would have played enough games to really show management which players are ready for full time NHL roles and which are not. It also gives us time to see if a guy like Pageau is on a hot streak, or has simply elevated his game to another level and deserves a pay raise or if he should be traded for more futures.

There really are not much untouchables on this team, actually probably none, however realistically we know that Chabot, Tkachuk and probably Brown are going nowhere. The rest are in the "won't make a difference if they stay or go" as long as we get reasonable compensation if we decide not to keep them. I think realistically, we need more top line players, because that automatically drops other players down the depth chart and places them in more comfortable positions, but right no we are lacking in high end first line talent so we might have to make due with what we have for now.

I tend to agree. There is no rush to make rash signings or trades until after the new year. We can count on Mr. D. To deliver those types of trades in the new year! :)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I really think trading Demelo is not the best idea. The guy is solid. He is not easy to replace.

Anderson retires a Senator.
Getting rid of Demelo is pretty important imo unless he's willing to accept a 1 or 2 year deal.

We already have Zaitsev locked in. If we lock in Demelo, 2/3 of our right side are set to be subpar long term and the team will continue to struggle and we don't leave many spots for guys to break through so we can improve internally.

But yeah essentially locking in 2 RD who are basically 5/6 guys is a mistake. If Zaitsev didn't exist than this would be possible but Dorion decided we needed this guy for 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad