Who does LA pick at #35 ?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kilowatt,I can't understand why you have this hate for Kempe but a bromance for Vilardi? Yes he's back from the dead but really dude is he going to be a 2nd line centre? I say no based on his skating alone... and don't get me wrong the Kings have had a few poor skaters who could put the biscuit in the basket...Robitaille and Nicholls come to mind...Vilardi does not possess natural goalscoring touch or positioning and smarts...Kempe is a swift skater who will some day soon put it all together and pot 25-30 goals! As for trading Frk,Amadio,Grundstrom,Clague,Lizotte the Kings are probably higher on those players than a lot of other NHL teams since most are fringe (bottom 6 right now) and all NHL teams have their own bottom 6-8 to contend with...As for Walker,Clague and Carts...I like them all but unfortunately for Jeff the time could be up since he'll be 36 when Seattle starts their slim pickings next June...and the Kraken will have a shot at several of them for sure unless a 20-25 goal season surfaces from the likes of Frk or Grundstrom

jesus christ what

how do you think he's been so successful DESPITE skating

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
jesus christ what

how do you think he's been so successful DESPITE skating
Gesu Cristo...Raccoon we can disagree I'm just not high on Vilardi...Carts at 35 and with his injuries is still better than Gabe...Successful? Vilardi has been successful...talk to me in a year when/if he plays a full 82 game season without breaking something else and improves his skating

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gesu Cristo...Raccoon we can disagree I'm just not high on Vilardi...Carts at 35 and with his injuries is still better than Gabe...Successful? Vilardi has been successful...talk to me in a year when/if he plays a full 82 game season without breaking something else and improves his skating

Jeff Carter is a former 46 goal, 84 point scorer who still found ways to put up multiple 30 goal seasons with the Kings and be second only to Kopitar in scoring. Sure, on one hand if Gabe turns into Jeff Carter from a production standpoint, that's a f***ing sweet deal.

But 35 year old Jeff Carter scored 17 goals and 27 points in 60 games, a 37 point pace. A Gabe Vilardi who for all intents and purposes was fully out of hockey for a year and a half and simply waltzed right into the nhl scored 3 goals and 7 points in 10 games for a 57 point pace. That's also a 25 goal pace right off the bat for a guy who hasn't faced pro goalies.

But it's not the production I'm worried about, it's your assessment that his smarts, positioning, and goal scoring is in question. This is a guy who has produced high at every level including near 2PPG in important situations and if he's not skating well, how's he doing it? Does this look like a guy who has an issue scoring and going to the right spots?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Jeff Carter is a former 46 goal, 84 point scorer who still found ways to put up multiple 30 goal seasons with the Kings and be second only to Kopitar in scoring. Sure, on one hand if Gabe turns into Jeff Carter from a production standpoint, that's a f***ing sweet deal.

But 35 year old Jeff Carter scored 17 goals and 27 points in 60 games, a 37 point pace. A Gabe Vilardi who for all intents and purposes was fully out of hockey for a year and a half and simply waltzed right into the nhl scored 3 goals and 7 points in 10 games for a 57 point pace. That's also a 25 goal pace right off the bat for a guy who hasn't faced pro goalies.

But it's not the production I'm worried about, it's your assessment that his smarts, positioning, and goal scoring is in question. This is a guy who has produced high at every level including near 2PPG in important situations and if he's not skating well, how's he doing it? Does this look like a guy who has an issue scoring and going to the right spots?

His Scoring exploits in Junior mean squat really...another time and might as well be another era. As for the Florida goal you and I could have scored on Bobrovsky that night he was asleep at the switch. As for his 7 pts in 10 games so...over 82 games and that's a big if...he'd score what 35pts cause I'm sure he would have hit a few scoring droughts. Please don't make this guy out to be the our Saviour he isn't. He's a 3rd line player with OK hockey sense with work to be done on his foot speed. This will be an issue for me until Gabe plays a full season something he hasn't done since PeeWee I'm thinking...
Gabriel Vilardi at eliteprospects.com

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
His Scoring exploits in Junior mean squat really...another time and might as well be another era. As for the Florida goal you and I could have scored on Bobrovsky that night he was asleep at the switch. As for his 7 pts in 10 games so...over 82 games and that's a big if...he'd score what 35pts cause I'm sure he would have hit a few scoring droughts. Please don't make this guy out to be the our Saviour he isn't. He's a 3rd line player with OK hockey sense with work to be done on his foot speed. This will be an issue for me until Gabe plays a full season something he hasn't done since PeeWee I'm thinking...

Vilardi was on pace for 57 points over a full schedule. He also scored 25 in 32 in the AHL after missing a full season. Calling Vilardi a third liner is ridiculous, but that's not the first time you've said something completely stupid.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It's fair to wonder about his upside, consistency, and health.

But the comments about his IQ and positioning are indefensible.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Vilardi was on pace for 57 points over a full schedule. He also scored 25 in 32 in the AHL after missing a full season. Calling Vilardi a third liner is ridiculous, but that's not the first time you've said something completely stupid.
We will see whether Vilardi can pull magic outta his behind and complete a full season...next year country looks like a shortened 60 games so I'm thinking Gabe plays 40 tops and gets 20 points

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It's fair to wonder about his upside, consistency, and health.

But the comments about his IQ and positioning are indefensible.
You can say what you want its a free country..same as me...I'd rather peddle him to Buffalo to get a chance at A Holtz...a scoring winger who could be a good one! When Byfield comes on board in less than 5 weeks Vilardi won't be looked to to save the franchise when Kopi-Star departs. Not that Gabe has that kind of talent and skill but some think he might have,I being one that doesn't though! At one time back in 2017 during the Memorial Cup win by Windsor and Vilardi's team I did but that was brief moment a brief lapse in judgement in believing the hype and not looking critically at the player...Kopi-Star,Byfield,Turcotte...might as well not have a 4th line centre just roll out these Good-Great players

SKingsfan88

Nov 26, 2010
Saskatchewan
You can say what you want its a free country..same as me...I'd rather peddle him to Buffalo to get a chance at A Holtz...a scoring winger who could be a good one! When Byfield comes on board in less than 5 weeks Vilardi won't be looked to to save the franchise when Kopi-Star departs. Not that Gabe has that kind of talent and skill but some think he might have,I being one that doesn't though! At one time back in 2017 during the Memorial Cup win by Windsor and Vilardi's team I did but that was brief moment a brief lapse in judgement in believing the hype and not looking critically at the player...Kopi-Star,Byfield,Turcotte...might as well not have a 4th line centre just roll out these Good-Great players
He’ll be better than kubalik and you think he’s a god

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
King's have more leverage with the cap space they have. I could see them package a redundant roster player plus for a player making around $5M and a first rounder.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m assuming the person I have blocked typed something to that effect as he’s the only one daft enough, or deliberately annoying enough, to do so. GV’s IQ is great if not elite.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
King's have more leverage with the cap space they have. I could see them package a redundant roster player plus for a player making around $5M and a first rounder.

I could see the Blues giving us Steen and a first round pick to take him off their hands. He's 5.75 Million due for next year.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I’m assuming the person I have blocked typed something to that effect as he’s the only one daft enough, or deliberately annoying enough, to do so. GV’s IQ is great if not elite.
Elite? LMFAO! Sure and he's a burner too kinda like Superman or Connor McSaviour

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I could see the Blues giving us Steen and a first round pick to take him off their hands. He's 5.75 Million due for next year.
Why would St Lou give us their 1st rounder all they have to do is buy out Steen 5.75 x 2/3 equals 3.833 over 2 years and then keep the pick...hell if contracts are going to be pro-rated to 3/4 of the season it will be less than that...5.75 x 3/4 equals 2.875 over 2 years

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Why would St Lou give us their 1st rounder all they have to do is buy out Steen 5.75 x 2/3 equals 3.833 over 2 years and then keep the pick...hell if contracts are going to be pro-rated to 3/4 of the season it will be less than that...5.75 x 3/4 equals 2.875 over 2 years

Take a look at their salary structure. They have 6.4 million in cap space.

UFA
Brouwer.
Pietrangelo.
Boumeester.

RFA
De la rose
Dunn

2021 RFA
Kyrou
Thomas.

So with a buyout of your calculations means they get 9.5 million cap space. I am not going to do calculations with pro-rated since that is not set.

That *might* get Pietrangelo. Might. Dunn will certainly go from making 723K to 2+ million on his contract. Who replaces Brouwer or Boumeester? De la rose? They're a team who needs all the cap relief they can get right now and we can provide that service.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Take a look at their salary structure. They have 6.4 million in cap space.

UFA
Brouwer.
Pietrangelo.
Boumeester.

RFA
De la rose
Dunn

2021 RFA
Kyrou
Thomas.

So with a buyout of your calculations means they get 9.5 million cap space. I am not going to do calculations with pro-rated since that is not set.

That *might* get Pietrangelo. Might. Dunn will certainly go from making 723K to 2+ million on his contract. Who replaces Brouwer or Boumeester? De la rose? They're a team who needs all the cap relief they can get right now and we can provide that service.
Well there is something going on in St Louis...Bozak(5.0M) and Steen(5.75M) could both bought out...Bortuzzo(1.375M) traded and something is afoot with Tarasenko...he won't be available to start the season? Perhaps he thinks he's underpaid and might just as well play in Russia since the NHL season may not start until January 1st! As for Bouwer,de la Rose and Bouwmeester...who cares they are spare parts...Kyrou,Kostin,and Perunovich replaces those fading players and maybe Faulk gets dealt since his contract(4.0M) until 2026-27 is a real good contract and a great bargaining chip...St Louis will do what they have too or lose Pietrangelo...Dunn will get signed too since he's the best young D-man they have by far and D Pouliot a 1-time 1st rounder gets another shot after time in the minors...It started with J Allen with more moves to come...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not sure what to say, Vilardi is a potential 1C and I think he has more potential than Turcotte. He fell to 11 in the draft because of injury concerns and those concerns for me have been alleviated. Otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick in 2017.

As @Raccoon Jesus said, concerns about his injury history and skating are valid, but the rest of his tools lend themselves to being a good 1C or great 2C in this league. I think we see Turcotte shift to wing before Vilardi does.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
What the Kings do at #35 and the other two round 2 picks is fascinating to me. In theory, with our incredibly deep prospect pool, it would make sense to package some of these (or even next year's extra picks) and move up in the draft -- start getting quality over quantity.

But it's such a deep draft with many saying guys from 20-50+ are relatively close together. There's an enticement to sit still and pickup three guys and give yourself a chance even more chances for hitting on one or more of them. We'd have the luxury of getting some LT project guys and develop them over time. I'd really like to add some beef/size and meanness to the team. You could go for that while still getting a skilled guy as well in the process with these three 2nd round picks. Heck, you still have two 3rd round picks as well (and two 4ths!). I'd really hate to be in our draft team trying to figure out which way to go (in a good way). But it's a win-win situation. I'm more excited about the post-#2OA picks in our 2020 draft than the actual #2OA pick itself -- that's going to be a win whether we go Byfield or Stutzle.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What the Kings do at #35 and the other two round 2 picks is fascinating to me. In theory, with our incredibly deep prospect pool, it would make sense to package some of these (or even next year's extra picks) and move up in the draft -- start getting quality over quantity.

But it's such a deep draft with many saying guys from 20-50+ are relatively close together. There's an enticement to sit still and pickup three guys and give yourself a chance even more chances for hitting on one or more of them. We'd have the luxury of getting some LT project guys and develop them over time. I'd really like to add some beef/size and meanness to the team. You could go for that while still getting a skilled guy as well in the process with these three 2nd round picks. Heck, you still have two 3rd round picks as well (and two 4ths!). I'd really hate to be in our draft team trying to figure out which way to go (in a good way). But it's a win-win situation. I'm more excited about the post-#2OA picks in our 2020 draft than the actual #2OA pick itself -- that's going to be a win whether we go Byfield or Stutzle.

Pretty much agree. While I'd love to see them move up for "their" guy in the early teens, it's probably not possible, and as such, I don't think there's much difference between 20-40/50--may as well take 3 big swings!

Reactions: Vino and Fat Elvis

Token

May 15, 2019
Pretty much agree. While I'd love to see them move up for "their" guy in the early teens, it's probably not possible, and as such, I don't think there's much difference between 20-40/50--may as well take 3 big swings!
Having the extra 3rd and 4th round picks makes the 51/60 picks mobile for jumps up in the 2nd round. Second day of the draft will be way more interesting.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I can certainly see that happening. I think it was Yannetti who said its hard to trade up in the 1st because the GMs hold them very highly in this regard. Plus those teams in the 20-31 range are probably going to get a decent pick in that range and probably wouldn't want to trade out of that even if they get an extra pick or two and a prospect. I'm looking at teams who have multiple pick in the first round and they are all teams who are like us and don't need more picks/prospects.

I think its more likely than not we'll stay where we are simply because teams don't want to move out of the first round and if that happens we'll take the picks and go home. If that happens then we just get more trading assets or make current prospects expendable where when the team is ready to compete again we can use them to trade for a position of need.

Token

May 15, 2019
I can certainly see that happening. I think it was Yannetti who said its hard to trade up in the 1st because the GMs hold them very highly in this regard. Plus those teams in the 20-31 range are probably going to get a decent pick in that range and probably wouldn't want to trade out of that even if they get an extra pick or two and a prospect. I'm looking at teams who have multiple pick in the first round and they are all teams who are like us and don't need more picks/prospects.

I think its more likely than not we'll stay where we are simply because teams don't want to move out of the first round and if that happens we'll take the picks and go home. If that happens then we just get more trading assets or make current prospects expendable where when the team is ready to compete again we can use them to trade for a position of need.
There are a few teams in the first round that traded out their 2/3/4 round picks that might dance.

Oilers, Columbus, Devils ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad