Who does LA pick at #35 ?

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
It looks like everyone is pretty set on Byfield or Stutzle at #2. Since we have a little time on our hand's let's discuss who we hope falls to us at pick #35. My list is admittedly a little different than the norm so I am sure most are looking at different players in this spot. Here are the players that I hope to fall to us at pick #35 (or the Kings package and move up to grab) and where I have them on my list;

8) Mavrik Bourque
9) Jacob Perreault
10) Hendrix Lapierre
11) Seth Jarvis
12) Jack Quinn
14) Kasper Simontaival
16) Martin Chromiak
17) Tristin Robins
18) Zion Nybeck
19) Tyler Tullio
20) Lukas Reichel
21) John-Jason Peterka
26) Tyson Foerster
29) William Wallinder
30) Helge Grans
31) Topi Niemala

Russian player) Marat Khusnutdinov

I have my Russian prospects separated on my list because I am skeptical that the Kings would play them and (or) maybe have a hard time signing them....lol (kind of). Marat would be between Lapierre and Jarvis if my list was combined.
The reason I have gaps in the rankings numbers is that I do not expect the ones I skipped have a chance to fall. I expect the three defensemen at the bottom of my list will be gone when we pick. I would really prefer Grans at this pick but I think he will be gone.
Of the forwards, I think Lapierre, Chromiak, Nybeck, and Khusnutdinov have the best chance of falling to us. I would love to get any of these forwards at pick #35.

What do you think?

Reactions: crassbonanza

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Pronman's 31-40 is as follows:

31. Emil Andrae, D, HV71-J20 SuperElit
32. Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert-WHL
33. Thomas Bordeleau, C, USNTDP-USHL
34. Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert-WHL
35. Roni Hirvonen, C, Assat-Liiga
36. Topi Niemela, D, Karpat-Liiga
37. Ridly Greig, C, Brandon-WHL
38. Jake Neighbours, LW, Edmonton-WHL
39. Justin Sourdif, RW, Vancouver-WHL
40. Lukas Cormier, D, Charlottetown-QMJHL

Kaiden Guhle if he's still there.

From Pronman:

Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert-WHL
Jan. 18, 2002 | 6-foot-2 | 186 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 55

Guhle was the No. 1 pick in his WHL Bantam Draft, and after a limited role in 2018-19, he emerged as a top defenseman in his age group this season. Guhle is appealing because of his physical attributes. He’s 6-foot-2, he skates quite well and he knocks opponents off the puck with high frequency. His gap control is excellent, closing on checks with force and showing a preference for playing the body. The question on Guhle will be how much offense he has and whether he can move the puck at the NHL level even after his 40 point season. I think he can, but with the caveat that he’s not an NHL power play type. He has enough skill and IQ to make a good pass, and he shows some creativity off the offensive blue line. He can create more with his feet than with his skill.

Alan Millar, GM for Canada’s U18 team, on Guhle: “He’s a high-end skater. He has a solid well-rounded game. He’s smart, he’s competitive, he plays with an edge. He’s a high character type.”

If Guhle isn't there, I also like Jake Neighbors:

Jake Neighbours, LW, Edmonton-WHL
March 29, 2002 | six-foot | 195 pounds

Skating: 50
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 60
Shot Grade: 60

Neighbours was an important part of Edmonton’s team, scoring more than a point per game and being a leading shot generator in the WHL. He’s a very smart player. He played the flank on Edmonton’s PP1 and showed the ability to make NHL caliber plays in all situations. I debated between a 55 and a 60 for his hands. In practice and in games he shows very quick twitch puck handling and impressive ability to saucer pucks. His 1-on-1 game is not that impressive, so I leaned to a 55. Neighbours has a bullet of a shot and scored several goals this past season that goalies had little to no chance on. He competes hard. He doesn’t shy from physical engagement and is a solid penalty killer. I could see him become a quality bottom-six forward in the NHL and, if he gains a step, I could see him become more than that.

NHL scout on Neighbours, “He’s a complete hockey player. He’s very smart, he can make plays and score. He competes very hard. He got better for me as the season went on.”

I also like Justin Barron and Lukas Reichel if we were to trade up, or Ozzy Wiesblatt if he falls a bit.

Lukas Reichel, LW, Berlin-DEL
May 17, 2002 | six-foot | 170 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 45

Reichel had an impressive season playing versus men and getting regular minutes in the DEL for a good club in Eisbaren Berlin. I always saw some skill and speed in his game, but this season I saw a high level of creativity with the puck, making difficult plays through defenders and to his teammates. He has the skill and the pace to score in the NHL. I wouldn’t call him the true playmaker you want running a power play, but he sees the ice well and gets a high IQ grade due to how well he creates in small areas. The last time he recorded a penalty was two seasons ago in junior club play, but I don’t think he’s soft. I’ve seen him be hard on his puck pursuits, drive the net frequently and win battles versus bigger players. But it would be fair to say he’s not a very physical or edgy player.

Justin Barron, D, Halifax-QMJHL
Nov. 15, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 195 pounds

Skating: 60
Physical Game: 50

Barron is a player who’s been hyped for a few years, playing well for Canada and Halifax. He had a tough season with a blood clot keeping him out for a while. He came back in late February, but it was still mostly a lost season with so-so production. On the ice, Barron is a fantastic skater who can lead a rush and close a gap very well, and he projects to be able to handle the NHL speed easily. When he hooks the net and is able to rush with speed, he’s very difficult to stop with his size. The question on his game among scouts is whether he has enough skill and offensive IQ to move the puck at the higher levels. I think he does, but I understand the concerns and debated between putting a 55 or 60 on his hockey sense. He may not be a top puck-mover on your blue line, but rather someone who is solid defensively and makes enough plays to take even strength shifts.

Andre Tourigny, coach of Canada’s 2018 U18 team, on Barron: “He has a lot of poise. He can move the puck well. He moves well. He has all the tools you want in a player, but could play with a bit more bite.”

Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert-WHL
March 9, 2002 | 5-foot-10 | 183 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 35

Wiesblatt was a top player for Prince Albert this season following an excellent 16-year-old season where he was a contributor to its WHL title run. Wiesblatt checks a lot of boxes. He’s very quick and skilled. He makes skilled plays at full speed and is a handful for defenders to stop when he comes barreling down on the rush. His hands stand out, with extremely quick twitch touches and ability to inside out defenders. He can attack in a direct style, but also has great vision and can pull up to make a tough play. He was on the flank for Prince Albert’s power play and looked like a pro in the type of plays he made in that role. He’s barely 5-10 so that is the major knock on him, but he is competitive and doesn’t mind the physical engagements. He is listed as a winger but can play down the middle.

Marc Habscheid, coach of Prince Albert Raiders, on Wiesblatt: “He competes well. He has a swagger about him. He wants to be in pressure situations. He has a quick stick and quick feet, and he is smart offensively.”

For what it's worth, Pronman has Mysak all the way at #43, so if he falls, I'd love to grab him too.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sturm is German.

Anschutz is of German decent and owns a DEL team.

So that means we're going to go after Lukas Reichel or John-Jason Peterka.

Plus I heard Reichel was partying late into the night when he found the Kings had 3 2nd round picks.

It all makes perfect sense.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I guess a better question would be if we are even at 35 given the 3 (2nd rounders) and if we choose to attempt to move up get 'our guy'.

Yannetti has recently mentioned his desire for quality over quantity.

I like that idea and would totally be on board with moving up. Who do you think the Kings would target?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess a better question would be if we are even at 35 given the 3 (2nd rounders) and if we choose to attempt to move up get 'our guy'.

Yannetti has recently mentioned his desire for quality over quantity.

It's tough because after running that draft simulator a million times you really have to have 'a guy' to pursue if that's going to happen. Otherwise there's really so much similar quality to like from like 25-40 that every time I picked I was happy.

But out of the ones listed my targets are always Barron (I don't think he falls to the second round but I'm super high on him) and Weisblatt and often Wallinder.

Man really even into the top of the third round I really really like players. Unless there's someone in the 1st they need to go after, I'd really try to load up on 2nds haha. Trade the whole bottom of the draft at this point, we have enough depth :laugh:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It's tough because after running that draft simulator a million times you really have to have 'a guy' to pursue if that's going to happen. Otherwise there's really so much similar quality to like from like 25-40 that every time I picked I was happy.

But out of the ones listed my targets are always Barron (I don't think he falls to the second round but I'm super high on him) and Weisblatt and often Wallinder.

Man really even into the top of the third round I really really like players. Unless there's someone in the 1st they need to go after, I'd really try to load up on 2nds haha. Trade the whole bottom of the draft at this point, we have enough depth :laugh:

We wont be picking 35th. We will trade up to 25 and take Justin Barron

Do you guys like Barron more than Guhle? Projections are all over the place, but Mackenzie has Guhle at 14 and Barron at 25. Is there someone else we might choose woth a top fifteen pick if we could get there?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I agree, several quality wingers and defensemen were available in the second round for the Kings in the draft simulations I ran, and you can never have too many good prospects.

Reactions: kings11 and Vino

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree, several quality wingers and defensemen were available in the second round for the Kings in the draft simulations I ran, and you can never have too many good prospects.

I want a prospect pipeline similar to what the Dodgers have built!! gimme mo trade bait, I mean mo prospects

EDIT: Justin Barron is the Dman i'd pick.. trade up to get him

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They just have so many picks and have extras next year as well. I definitely see a trade-up happening: especially if someone they like falls a bit.
I would rather see a trade up in the 2021 draft, as the class is not expected to be as deep as this year. Time will come soon to start clearing out some of the younger players in the organization who have just been hanging on and haven't been able to successfully make the jump to the NHL. Speaking specifically of guys like Amadio, Prokhorkin, Rempal, Luff, and Brickley. These guys need to make significant progress and soon, or they are going to be replaced by kids who need a place to develop. I am not saying all of them should go, but at least a few are going to be gone within a season or two.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do you guys like Barron more than Guhle? Projections are all over the place, but Mackenzie has Guhle at 14 and Barron at 25. Is there someone else we might choose woth a top fifteen pick if we could get there?

I personally like pre-injury Barron more than any d-man not named Drysdale, he's dropping due to injury and a rough recovery. There's value there. I don't think he makes it to the second

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I would rather see a trade up in the 2021 draft, as the class is not expected to be as deep as this year. Time will come soon to start clearing out some of the younger players in the organization who have just been hanging on and haven't been able to successfully make the jump to the NHL. Speaking specifically of guys like Amadio, Prokhorkin, Rempal, Luff, and Brickley. These guys need to make significant progress and soon, or they are going to be replaced by kids who need a place to develop. I am not saying all of them should go, but at least a few are going to be gone within a season or two.
Like Amadio,Prokhorkin has signed in Russia! Don't expect any of the other 3 back,not with a plethora of youngsters about to hit Ontario! Like to see Rempal back but he might end up in Calgary since he's from there

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Top 15,pretty tough,would take a lot. Top 20-24 might a better area to hope for...Oilers at 20 for now,21 is Ottawa,they have tonnes of draft capital( 9 picks in 74),Stars at 22,NYR at 23 and maybe the Wild at 24 could be up for taking a prospect/more picks off LA's hands. I think the Kings need to get ahead of San Jose(26) and Anaheim(31) or wherever they end up...that's the key

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Saw Weisblatt play a few times. A sparkplug type! Not sure if he can play the wing, at the NHL level?Is more suited for centre and handling the puck. Never know...he's German-Canadian right?Intrigued by the size of Wallinder! Think someone will snap him up before the Kings make their play. I'm not big on Barron mainly because he's coming off the injury like you said and he's a late '01! I'm thinking the Kings will be looking at a Winger if they trade into the latter part of the first round and look at D-men later

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It looks like everyone is pretty set on Byfield or Stutzle at #2. Since we have a little time on our hand's let's discuss who we hope falls to us at pick #35. My list is admittedly a little different than the norm so I am sure most are looking at different players in this spot. Here are the players that I hope to fall to us at pick #35 (or the Kings package and move up to grab) and where I have them on my list;

8) Mavrik Bourque
9) Jacob Perreault
10) Hendrix Lapierre
11) Seth Jarvis
12) Jack Quinn
14) Kasper Simontaival
16) Martin Chromiak
17) Tristin Robins
18) Zion Nybeck
19) Tyler Tullio
20) Lukas Reichel
21) John-Jason Peterka
26) Tyson Foerster
29) William Wallinder
30) Helge Grans
31) Topi Niemala

Russian player) Marat Khusnutdinov

I have my Russian prospects separated on my list because I am skeptical that the Kings would play them and (or) maybe have a hard time signing them....lol (kind of). Marat would be between Lapierre and Jarvis if my list was combined.
The reason I have gaps in the rankings numbers is that I do not expect the ones I skipped have a chance to fall. I expect the three defensemen at the bottom of my list will be gone when we pick. I would really prefer Grans at this pick but I think he will be gone.
Of the forwards, I think Lapierre, Chromiak, Nybeck, and Khusnutdinov have the best chance of falling to us. I would love to get any of these forwards at pick #35.

What do you think?
Like Chromiak and have taken him multiple times in my Mock drafts. Its good that he's come over to Kingston,Canada to start his adjustment period(culture,language...)and did well with consensus 2022 1st overall Shane Wright! Chromiak will score 90-105 goals in the next 2 seasons of Junior

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I am fully expecting LA to trade multiple 2nd rounds to get into the 1st round, late teens early twenties. IMO they will pick up either a RHD or someone who is slipping

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I am fully expecting LA to trade multiple 2nd rounds to get into the 1st round, late teens early twenties. IMO they will pick up either a RHD or someone who is slipping
Not to rain on your parade but to move upto 17,18,19 is going to take a lot of draft capital/prospects and the biggest thing is to have a trading partner...Flames at 16,Van-TB-NJ 17,Preds at 18 and 'Canes at 19...Moving up 16-20 spots is a lot...moving up 10-12 quite a bit different. I'm targeting Minnesota because I think there won't be a D-man they like there so...The Kings trade a defensive prospect and their 35th for the 24th overall,thus keeping their own 48 and 59 to either take D-men or a D-man and Winger! I fully expect LA to take a Winger at 24 if they can pull off a deal!

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Count me as one of those who think we won't be picking at 35, I think they move into the mid to early 20's

Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad