Who does LA pick at #35 ?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In the latest draft simulator I did online RH-shot centerman Jacob Perreult was available with the 35th pick. I snapped him up, because he is a pure goalscorer.

Reactions: RocketKing

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
https://twitter.com/NHLDraftRanking

EijEW3jWoAAlgq-

Reactions: Vino

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Might be a little more expensive, but there is a real possibility LA-NJD trade is possible at the draft table. Would probably to be 35 + B prospect

I always caution in using those podcast/interviews since people will tweet out something that was said out of context that misrepresents what he actually said. What Friedman mentioned was that the Devils would be open to moving one of those picks for a (proven?) young NHLer with controllable years, rather than say moving down for additional picks or prospects.

Recent quote from the Devils GM:

Reactions: The Lukeman

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I always caution in using those podcast/interviews since people will tweet out something that was said out of context that misrepresents what he actually said. What Friedman mentioned was that the Devils would be open to moving one of those picks for a (proven?) young NHLer with controllable years, rather than say moving down for additional picks or prospects.

Recent quote from the Devils GM:

Ah thanks, I didn't realize this. I appreciate the additional context.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
O’Rourke seems like the prototype solid dman captain material guy.

Definitely seems like a Kings pick. Not sure about upside. And I don't think we really need any more 'safe' picks either. But I'd sure like to have him for the right value. Very mature player.

Reactions: LAKings88

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I want every pick in this draft to be a boom or bust prospect. Don’t play it safe at all.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Would be cool to draft the son of Yanic.
Would also be cool to draft a goal scorer, good size kid, with a RH shot who might be converted to the RW in the NHL. If we see a run in the draft on defensemen late in the first round as we did last year, this pick might be better used on the top defenseman on the Kings board.

Reactions: KingTech

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
For what's it's worth, Yannetti on a Zoom call with season ticket holders stated any D man taken at #35 is a good 3 years away from the NHL. He said the Kings need scoring, hinted they may lean towards a forward (this according to a post on the Insider board, not my info).

Reactions: DoktorJeep

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
For what's it's worth, Yannetti on a Zoom call with season ticket holders stated any D man taken at #35 is a good 3 years away from the NHL. He said the Kings need scoring, hinted they may lean towards a forward (this according to a post on the Insider board, not my info).

That must mean they are confident with their young D or are working on improving it through trade. They seem forward heavy but he would know more.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That, and a lot of the d-men in that range have 'flaws' that make them second rounders, like deficiencies on defense or just being super raw. They'd be good picks but not entering the NHL right away.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Don't see why the Kings would need any defenseman they take at 35 overall right away. This organization is at least 4-5 years away from contending. I am ok with taking a forward with this pick, but I would like to see how the draft unfolds. If there is a run on defensemen at the end of the 1st round, and there is a big gap between the top defenseman on the Kings board and the next defenseman of their board, I would use the pick to draft a defenseman, especially if that player is RH.

If a guy like Grans or Wallinder is there at 35 overall, the Kings really need to pause and think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Don't see why the Kings would need any defenseman they take at 35 overall right away. This organization is at least 4-5 years away from contending. I am ok with taking a forward with this pick, but I would like to see how the draft unfolds. If there is a run on defensemen at the end of the 1st round, and there is a big gap between the top defenseman on the Kings board and the next defenseman of their board, I would use the pick to draft a defenseman, especially if that player is RH.

If a guy like Grans or Wallinder is there at 35 overall, the Kings really need to pause and think about it.

You really cannot say the Kings are 4-5 years from contending...the Golden Knights changed that notion of the 4-5 year plan....and now with state of things with covid19 / no fan environment, possible cash shortages oncoming - leading to teams having to cut some GOOD players that were FORMALLY on ok contract terms - that are suddenly contracts that may not be good NOW for their team going forward, suddenly a team like the Kings can nab 1 to 3 good veteran players this off season.

You cannot say when to pull the trigger "we're 2 years from making a deal like that" bulshtt. DL went and got Stoll, Greene for Vis, Williams for O'Sullivan and then Richards, Carter, etc. Voynov pans out, add a stellar vet like Mitchell.

Blake may be in a position to get 1 to 3 of those type of players now and you do it, without having to give up a Braden Schenn, Wayne Simmons, etc, just because another team may HAVE to cut a contract or 2, that yesterday was a good deal, but today / tomorrow not a deal they can handle. It's a new environment...can't recall who said today (a former GM?) that you may be surprised to see how many good players may be available. You cannot always time deals and look at your team chart and say, "we must stick to this 5 year plan....and that plan says we cannot make such a deal until year 3...blah blah" No, things change when the climate changes and the climate has just changed.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You really cannot say the Kings are 4-5 years from contending...the Golden Knights changed that notion of the 4-5 year plan....and now with state of things with covid19 / no fan environment, possible cash shortages oncoming - leading to teams having to cut some GOOD players that were FORMALLY on ok contract terms - that are suddenly contracts that may not be good NOW for their team going forward, suddenly a team like the Kings can nab 1 to 3 good veteran players this off season.

You cannot say when to pull the trigger "we're 2 years from making a deal like that" bulshtt. DL went and got Stoll, Greene for Vis, Williams for O'Sullivan and then Richards, Carter, etc. Voynov pans out, add a stellar vet like Mitchell.

Blake may be in a position to get 1 to 3 of those type of players now and you do it, without having to give up a Braden Schenn, Wayne Simmons, etc, just because another team may HAVE to cut a contract or 2, that yesterday was a good deal, but today / tomorrow not a deal they can handle. It's a new environment...can't recall who said today (a former GM?) that you may be surprised to see how many good players may be available. You cannot always time deals and look at your team chart and say, "we must stick to this 5 year plan....and that plan says we cannot make such a deal until year 3...blah blah" No, things change when the climate changes and it just has changed.
The Kings have multiple crap contracts they will not be out of for at least two seasons, and I don't expect enough of the Kings prospects to be killing it in two seasons to make them contenders.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
The Kings have multiple crap contracts they will not be out of for at least two seasons, and I don't expect enough of the Kings prospects to be killing it in two seasons to make them contenders.

I would agree with that. I don't expect them to contend either...the new landscape of financial climate though, things could change and the process sped up, with a few key
acquisitions.

It's not out of the realm Vilardi and one or more of: #2 overall, Turcotte, Fagemo, Kaliyev step in and do well, as soon as 21-22. No one expected Walker or Roy to
actually do this well....or Iafallo to make the team as a rookie - although this past season is when he hit full stride. Some players have exceeded expectations
and I expect some of the new crop of youth will, as well. Iafallo, Roy, Walker certainly did not have the pedigree of a Turcotte, Vilardi or the Kings #2 pick to be. Mikey Anderson looked pretty amazing the last month there...unfazed and solid. Was unexpected. Some of the prospects are stepping up.

For every Luff, there's been an Iafallo. Next, Amadio about to be leapfrogged by someone like Turcotte or Byfield / Stutzle. Things can change faster than 4-5 years, especially with a few good vets acquired, due to their teams not being able to handle their contracts.

Oh...Kings at #35:

Ryan O'Rourke - D (Kings like captains, he is cpt of his team) John-Jason Peterka (Yannetti said some good things about him) Noel Gunler (fell some, but good talent. Jan Mysak. (talented)
Seems like Yannetti prefers fwd at 35 - perhaps unless there's a highly rated D that falls. I say package 35 with something and get into 22-26 range and get a higher talent.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Besides the #3 pick, which will be a stud, the Kings needs are scoring wingers, tough/gritty forwards and a top 4 d.

Are those players available with those high 2nds or 3rds?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would agree with that. I don't expect them to contend either...the new landscape of financial climate though, things could change and the process sped up, with a few key
acquisitions.

It's not out of the realm Vilardi and one or more of: #2 overall, Turcotte, Fagemo, Kaliyev step in and do well, as soon as 21-22. No one expected Walker or Roy to
actually do this well....or Iafallo to make the team as a rookie - although this past season is when he hit full stride. Some players have exceeded expectations
and I expect some of the new crop of youth will, as well. Iafallo, Roy, Walker certainly did not have the pedigree of a Turcotte, Vilardi or the Kings #2 pick to be. Mikey Anderson looked pretty amazing the last month there...unfazed and solid. Was unexpected. Some of the prospects are stepping up.

For every Luff, there's been an Iafallo. Next, Amadio about to be leapfrogged by someone like Turcotte or Byfield / Stutzle. Things can change faster than 4-5 years, especially with a few good vets acquired, due to their teams not being able to handle their contracts.

Oh...Kings at #35:

Ryan O'Rourke - D (Kings like captains, he is cpt of his team) John-Jason Peterka (Yannetti said some good things about him) Noel Gunler (fell some, but good talent. Jan Mysak. (talented)
Seems like Yannetti prefers fwd at 35 - perhaps unless there's a highly rated D that falls. I say package 35 with something and get into 22-26 range and get a higher talent.

I agree with K17 on this one but I get what you're saying that we're in uncharted territory for player movement and salary volatility.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

I mean....so is a second round forward? Honestly how many second round forwards make the NHL in 1-2 yrs? I mean JAD/Thomas are those guys for the Kings now, and ppl still don’t think either is ready...

Fagemo maybe, but he was undrafted first year, and arty most likely goes back to the O.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree with K17 on this one but I get what you're saying that we're in uncharted territory for player movement and salary volatility.
Agreed. This year more than any we will have the opportunity to perhaps get a guy or two for great value. I don’t think we will, or should, be going for the likes of Laine as we’d never get that value. However, if you can get key character guys that will be genuine top 6/top 4 players for the next 5 years you do it. If we can get a Justin Williams for cheap we should, even if the timing isn’t perfect. However you don’t sign players that will block the paths of key prospects or have even the slightest question against their character.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
You dont just take a D man because you are short a couple and spent the 1 round pick on a F. Sometimes quality D men just aren't there and the pick is wasted.

2008 draft, 60 D men drafted, 13 played over 300 games.

13 of them were drafted between pick 31 - 70, 12 of them were complete busts with <50 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad