Who does LA pick at #35 ?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Alternatively, perhaps the Kings could use one of the picks to trade for some immediate help? There's gonna be some cap strapped teams who will have to make some tough decisions.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Alternatively, perhaps the Kings could use one of the picks to trade for some immediate help? There's gonna be some cap strapped teams who will have to make some tough decisions.

Total possibility. There is still a pretty big gap in that mid-20 age bracket on this team.

Maybe shades of DL trading a 2nd for Brad Richardson? I mean, I'd prefer a better player but just tossing it out there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is there really a need for "immediate help" in a rebuild situation?

If you can pick up a guy who can help now and is young enough to still be around when the Turcotte, Kaliyev, Byfield/Stutzle, etc wave starts to come around. I'm not saying trade the pick for somebody who's close to 30. But sometimes a young player ends up being available because of the cap. The Devils were certainly rebuilding in 2015 and they plucked a 24 year old Kyle Palmieri from Anaheim for a 2nd+3rd round picks. Colorado picked up Andre Burakovsky for a similar price tag last season and he had a productive year for them.

And I'm sure Kopitar/Doughty/Quick wouldn't mind some immediate help.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Total possibility. There is still a pretty big gap in that mid-20 age bracket on this team.

Maybe shades of DL trading a 2nd for Brad Richardson? I mean, I'd prefer a better player but just tossing it out there.
Reports said LA was kicking tires for Jesse Puljujarvi last summer. I wonder if we would circle back on that this summer, considering he had a great season this year in Europe.

This team is missing that 22-25 age range of players on this team. Who do we have? Kempe? Iaffalo? Love them but they aren't top 6 guys on a contending team yet.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If you can pick up a guy who can help now and is young enough to still be around when the Turcotte, Kaliyev, Byfield/Stutzle, etc wave starts to come around. I'm not saying trade the pick for somebody who's close to 30. But sometimes a young player ends up being available because of the cap. The Devils were certainly rebuilding in 2015 and they plucked a 24 year old Kyle Palmieri from Anaheim for a 2nd+3rd round picks. Colorado picked up Andre Burakovsky for a similar price tag last season and he had a productive year for them.

And I'm sure Kopitar/Doughty/Quick wouldn't mind some immediate help.

Exactly. Even when I say a player better than Richardson, that guy has played over 800 NHL games and is still playing. Kings traded for him when he was 23 which is in the age range where this team is lacking. Looks like he put up a decent season in 2006-07 for Colorado but then split time between the NHL/AHL the following season. Avs must have soured on him and Lombardi swooped in since they had been hoarding picks for a while already. That pick was originally Detroit's and acquired in the Stuart trade so it was the last pick of the 2nd round. Avs picked the immortal Peter Delmas while Richardson is still playing.

To be honest, I like this kind of play a little bit more than trading up in to the 1st if it is true that there isn't a huge talent gap after pick 20 or whatever. Again, not all of the current prospects are going to make it so getting someone in that age range where the Kings are lacking that has shown the ability to play at the NHL level is not a bad thing when the chances of hitting on all three of these 2nd round picks is small.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

With the expansion draft looming, its a good year to see what you have internally before adding.

I assume the Kings will push closer to the playoffs next season, ultimately missing out. That will be a great time to dangle a first round pick for a quality young player either RFA after his ELC, or early into his second contract on a cap strapped team.

But lets see how Anderson, Bjornfot and possibly Clague do before adding a defenseman. It could very likely be a scoring winger thats more essential next summer(ish).

Reactions: Basilisk

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019

Tampa Bay is definitely going to be cap strapped this “offseason” whenever that is. But I wouldn’t touch one of their wingers with long term contracts. I’d be interested in Anthony Cirelli though. He’s due for a decent bridge contract. And he’ll only be 23 years old. He’s a good two-way middle six center.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocketKing

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
If that's the case, I would wish him all the best in another organization. You could easily sign an 'enforcer' to an AHL only deal.

Not one who is so well liked by his teammates as Boko. Imama continues to make incremental improvement each year. He could reach the NHL as a replacement for Kyle Clifford in a couple more years. Besides, he is RFA so he is still under their control.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
giphy.gif

Look to teams constrained by the cap who will be in need of picks and cap space. Possibilities could include the Leafs (Kasperi Kapanen), Stars (Jason Dickinson or Radek Faksa), Blues (Vince Dunn), Flyers (Robert Hagg), Blackhawks (Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik).

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Look to teams constrained by the cap who will be in need of picks and cap space. Possibilities could include the Leafs (Kasperi Kapanen), Stars (Jason Dickinson or Radek Faksa), Blues (Vince Dunn), Flyers (Robert Hagg), Blackhawks (Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik).
Just one problem here, Zig. You can bet the Hawks will scam with LTIR like they always do to get out of cap difficulty.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tampa Bay is definitely going to be cap strapped this “offseason” whenever that is. But I wouldn’t touch one of their wingers with long term contracts. I’d be interested in Anthony Cirelli though. He’s due for a decent bridge contract. And he’ll only be 23 years old. He’s a good two-way middle six center.

Yeah Tampa seemed like the first team who would need to trim their roster but the likely candidates (Palat/Johnson/Gourde) didn't seem to fit the Kings. I feel like Tampa's going to do what it can to retain Cirelli.

Toronto's gonna have some interesting decisions to make. Up front, Andreas Johnsson (26 in November, 3 seasons remaining on his deal) and Alex Kerfoot (26 in August, 3 seasons left) seem like the most natural cap casualties.

Surprisingly I've read that LD Travis Dermott could be potentially moved if they think Rasmus Sandin can jump in on his ELC. Dermott is RFA and is looking at a modest raise on a bridge deal. I haven't watched a ton of Dermott, but age wise (24 in December) he might be somebody worth taking a look at.

Vince Dunn on St. Louis might be a cap casualty if they re-sign Pietrangelo. Hobey Baker winner Scott Perunovich might be ready to take over that spot on an ELC. I suppose St. Louis' preference would be to deal Dunn to the East, but maybe they'd be content to simply take the best offer.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With Daws having a December birthday, another year in the CHL would probably be wise. The battle of Ontario will be between Villalta and Ingham. I agree they will likely sign a goalie with NHL experience that would be willing to play in the AHL in case one of the NHLers go down due to the lack of experience at the AHL level. A very high chance Ingham starts in the ECHL and Kehler will not be qualified. They won't sign Parik until the end of next season at the earliest, they have until 2023 to sign him but I think they will next Spring.
Agree with most of what you said except that the Kings will sign Parik this year to show some loyalty for a good season in Spokane. Remember the Kings also have D Hrenak and he's going back for his Senior season at St Cloud. The Forward and Goaltending ranks is flush with prospects to the 9's...it'll Villalta and Ingham with Villalta moving up in 1-2 seasons and then Parik and Hrenak fighting with Ingham for no 1 in Ontario in 2021-22! Just saw today that Keven Poulin signed with Bjorkloven in Sweden's Allsvenskan league. Not sure if the Kings will draft a goalie,perhaps if one they like drops into their lap...Commesso probably gone by the 3rd-4th round. Like to see the Kings go Offense(Byfield)2, Offense(Chromiak)35, Offense(Savoie)48,then Defense(Kleven)59, Offense(Tullio)66,Offense(Simontaival)77,Tender(Bednar)97,Offense(Jarventie)109,Defense(Puutio)128,defense(Nordlund)159,defense(Mancini)190

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not one who is so well liked by his teammates as Boko. Imama continues to make incremental improvement each year. He could reach the NHL as a replacement for Kyle Clifford in a couple more years. Besides, he is RFA so he is still under their control.
Please no Boko...he's going to play 4th line and score 2,3,4 goals a year...waste, rather have some of our other LWing prospects with higher potential and scoring ability there

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think you underestimate how many jealous plugs there are in the AHL that can wreck a kid's career.
That is a good point...I bet there are plenty of those kinds...in my day there was a place for goons and guys that would never make it, it was called the IHL...Flint Generals,Muskegon Mohawks,Saginaw Gears,Toledo Goaldiggers,Dayton Gems,Columbus Owls,Port Huron Flags,Kalamazoo Wings,Fort Wayne Komets...PS Goaltenders made it Mario Lessard for the LA Kings came from Saginaw Gears as did Mike Palmateer and many others...Gilles Meloche,Flint Generals...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With the expansion draft looming, its a good year to see what you have internally before adding.

I assume the Kings will push closer to the playoffs next season, ultimately missing out. That will be a great time to dangle a first round pick for a quality young player either RFA after his ELC, or early into his second contract on a cap strapped team.

But lets see how Anderson, Bjornfot and possibly Clague do before adding a defenseman. It could very likely be a scoring winger thats more essential next summer(ish).
Kings should get themselves Taylor Hall! He's a legitimate 1st line LWinger that can put up points and add some zest to the PP. It might be that his next contract could net him 10-11 Mill per annum. Maybe too rich for LA's blood?
taylor-hall.jpg
Just an interesting thought. Kopi for the first time in his career(respect due Gaborik in 2014..before injuries) that he gets a linemate on par with his talents and skill...not a couple of add-ons! Can't imagine how many more points Kopi-Star scores in the last 14 years...200-275 easily!!! Hall could be a good match but I have heard from coaches and ex-players that he was an asshole and a pain in everyones's ass. True,not true...Kings would have to explore with due diligence if its a route they want to explore

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah Tampa seemed like the first team who would need to trim their roster but the likely candidates (Palat/Johnson/Gourde) didn't seem to fit the Kings. I feel like Tampa's going to do what it can to retain Cirelli.

Toronto's gonna have some interesting decisions to make. Up front, Andreas Johnsson (26 in November, 3 seasons remaining on his deal) and Alex Kerfoot (26 in August, 3 seasons left) seem like the most natural cap casualties.

Surprisingly I've read that LD Travis Dermott could be potentially moved if they think Rasmus Sandin can jump in on his ELC. Dermott is RFA and is looking at a modest raise on a bridge deal. I haven't watched a ton of Dermott, but age wise (24 in December) he might be somebody worth taking a look at.

Vince Dunn on St. Louis might be a cap casualty if they re-sign Pietrangelo. Hobey Baker winner Scott Perunovich might be ready to take over that spot on an ELC. I suppose St. Louis' preference would be to deal Dunn to the East, but maybe they'd be content to simply take the best offer.
Dunn as a cap causality? He makes $722,500.00 per annum. He's due a huge raise and is the youngest(1996) of the bunch. If they are thinking of signing Pietrangelo,which is a must,then Parayko is leaving!Faulk having been acquired from Carolina is under contract for another 7 years at 4.150 Mill! If Petrangelo wants too much cash 10-11 Mill per,then all bets are off and he goes looking for his next employer... Parayko becomes a UFA in 2 years time and he'll also be looking for more dough and the Blues will not want to be giving him up for nothing so look for a deal of big 6"6' Colton Parayko...maybe Edmonton inquires...since he's from there(St Albert) and they'll be in need a numero uno RD!
alex-pietrangelo.jpg
GettyImages-1204242903-1024x683.jpg

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
We have 7 picks in the top 100, some redudants prospects (all that LH 6 foot dmen, bottom 6 fwds and a lot of centers that will be moved to the Wings), Those are nice pieces to move up In the draft. I would like to see Blake being agressive and get another top 15 pick, a team like Columbus (although I’m rooting for them to win the lottery) could use some extra picks and some NHL ready prospects (Clague, Kupari or Thomas). We could come out of the draft with Byfield, Holtz (or Askarov) and Chromiak (or Schneider).

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
We have 7 picks in the top 100, some redundant prospects (all that LH 6 foot dmen, bottom 6 fwds and a lot of centers that will be moved to the Wings), Those are nice pieces to move up In the draft. I would like to see Blake being aggressive and get another top 15 pick, a team like Columbus (although I’m rooting for them to win the lottery) could use some extra picks and some NHL ready prospects (Clague, Kupari or Thomas). We could come out of the draft with Byfield, Holtz (or Askarov) and Chromiak (or Schneider).
I like how you think J Boy! I was thinking that the Kings need to Offer Sheet Kubalik since its very unlikely that Chicago can afford him 9 Million for 6 years with bonuses. Kings can afford to lose first rounders for the next 3 years since they are stacked with prospects and players like Kubalik don't come down the pike very often. And it would rectify the colossal blunder,brain fart that plagued Blake a year and half ago!Yes to Kubalik and yes to moving up and getting the likes Holtz! Buffalo needs a 2nd line centre lets give them Vilardi bet they'd be willing to make that deal. As for Askarov,well that's intriguing and Schneider could be a good one too if the Kings think that signing Roy (5-6 Million per)after next season is going to be a tough act,then do it! And of course I like Chromiak but I think he goes bottom of the first round but I'm hoping he drops to the 35th pick!
1.1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg
BHVGCAZVZRA4TFISYFGKOSH2NU.jpg
holtz-1080x675.jpg
Martin-Chromiak-Kingston-Frontenacs.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad