Who does LA pick at #35 ?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My article on one possibility (if he falls to the Kings): Braden Schneider.

2020 NHL Draft Preview: Braden Schneider, WHL Defense

Assuming the Kings take a forward at the #2 OVA, Schneider is my first choice for our #35 pick (unless a highly skilled forward surprisingly slips). But I just don't see him falling that far. He's likely going to be another Steady Eddie (Matt Roy), but even more physical than Roy, and another RHD. Most scouts see Schneider as one of the top physical D men in the draft. A potential shutdown guy, a #3 D man. He's also one of the oldest first time draft eligible players, and only has to play one more year in the WHL before he can join the pro ranks. I wonder if the Kings would consider trying to move up to get him if he slips into the mid 20's.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Assuming the Kings take a forward at the #2 OVA, Schneider is my first choice for our #35 pick (unless a highly skilled forward surprisingly slips). But I just don't see him falling that far. He's likely going to be another Steady Eddie (Matt Roy), but even more physical than Roy, and another RHD. Most scouts see Schneider as one of the top physical D men in the draft. A potential shutdown guy, a #3 D man. He's also one of the oldest first time draft eligible players, and only has to play one more year in the WHL before he can join the pro ranks. I wonder if the Kings would consider trying to move up to get him if he slips into the mid 20's.

I agree 100%.

At the moment, the next pick is 35th, but I would not be surprised at all if they tried to move up.

Though this is also a draft with circumstances unlike any other. No U-18. Games ended in March, so some teams may be using different evaluations. I think it will just be a weird draft in general

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I agree 100%.

At the moment, the next pick is 35th, but I would not be surprised at all if they tried to move up.

Though this is also a draft with circumstances unlike any other. No U-18. Games ended in March, so some teams may be using different evaluations. I think it will just be a weird draft in general
IMO, 50/50 we are picking at 35. I think this draft will see a lot of "off the board picks" because everyone will have so much more time to make their analysis, thus creating a greater spread of opinions. 2 months of nonstop video footage is not going to be digested the same way. Either LA jumps into the 20-25 with someone slipping. If we haven't traded by pick 25, I doubt we will move 35.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In order to move 10 spots or higher, I think it’ll cost the 35th pick and an additional second round pick.

Taking a look at last year's draft day moves, for the Coyotes to move up to #11, they gave up #14 and #45 to bump up three spots to draft Victor Soderstrom.

Then Philly wound up trading that 45th pick to move up to #34, they packaged pick #65 with #45 to move up to draft Bobby Brink.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
In order to move 10 spots or higher, I think it’ll cost the 35th pick and an additional second round pick.

Taking a look at last year's draft day moves, for the Coyotes to move up to #11, they gave up #14 and #45 to bump up three spots to draft Victor Soderstrom.

Then Philly wound up trading that 45th pick to move up to #34, they packaged pick #65 with #45 to move up to draft Bobby Brink.

If one of the Kings targeted prospects fall into the twenties range the Blue Jackets at #22 and the Stars at #24 might be good trading partners.
It looks like both are missing their 2nd and 3rd round picks. If they could trade down and get two 2nd round picks that could appeal the them.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If one of the Kings targeted prospects fall into the twenties range the Blue Jackets at #22 and the Stars at #24 might be good trading partners.
It looks like both are missing their 2nd and 3rd round picks. If they could trade down and get two 2nd round picks that could appeal the them.

I could see this playing out.

With 3 picks in the 2nd round and Yanneti and Co. already admitted that more picks will mean moving them to get quality players rather than quantity.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Looks like the Vancouver 2nd round pick fell all the way to #51 (could have been as low as #43), and the Vegas pick will end up at #60 to #62, really almost like an early 3rd rounder. I think the value dropping on both those picks makes an combination package even more likely if we can find a trade partner. Could even be for an established NHL LHD man since so many teams are missing high picks this year and lack CAP space.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Token

May 15, 2019
Looks like the Vancouver 2nd round pick fell all the way to #51 (could have been as low as #43), and the Vegas pick will end up at #60 to #62, really almost like an early 3rd rounder. I think the value dropping on both those picks makes an combination package even more likely if we can find a trade partner. Could even be for an established NHL LHD man since so many teams are missing high picks this year and lack CAP space.
Remember that we traded the 64 and 121 to jump to 50 and take Fagemo.

Those lower 2nd rounders can be good bundles with our two 3rd and 4th rounders to bump up into better position in the second round.

Lots of “experts” keep saying that once you from the ~ 20 spot to 50ish it’s all similar types of prospects and Yannetti does have a keen eye for the gems in the lot of them.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Want to trade the 35th plus to move way up to get Guhle.

last year:

Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo -Other than Kaliyev small, great skaters, high skilled

this years dream:

Byfield, Guhle, Colangelo - all big bodies with skill and excellent skating.

I still believe that size is needed to complete. These three guys would blend much needed size with the skill from the last couple drafts.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017

last year:

Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo -Other than Kaliyev small, great skaters, high skilled

this years dream:

I still believe that size is needed to complete. These three guys would blend much needed size with the skill from the last couple drafts.

I agree that Byfield is the only (and best) choice at pick #2.

I would love to get one of Guhle, Wallinder, Grans, Barron or O'Rourke. I have a feeling that one of them will fall to the Kings even if they stay at pick #35. Guhle would also be my first choice but I have a feeling your right and he will be gone unless the Kings can trade up.

At picks #51 and #56 unless someone like Colangelo or Marat falls I hope that two of Jurmo, Torgersson, Niemela, Chromiak, Jarventie, Sourdif or FInley falls to the Kings.

Token

May 15, 2019

last year:

this years dream:

Curious, would you move a roster player or prospect with some picks to jump up to the ~ 20ish range and get your guy?

If so, which roster player or prospect?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Curious, would you move a roster player or prospect with some picks to jump up to the ~ 20ish range and get your guy?

There are lots of guys I would be open to trading. Lizotte, Amadio, Walker, Frk, Carter with retention, Moore, Grundstrom, Clague, even Iafallo or Kempe if the pick was high enough. The only guys on the roster last year that I wouldn’t move are Kopitar, Doughty, Vilardi, Anderson, and Roy.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Also, I can’t help but feel that regardless of rankings, defensemen are going to go much higher than lists suggest. Look at last year’s rankings versus how the draft actually went. McKenzie this year only has six defensemen being taken in the first round. I’m guessing the actual number will be closer to 12, and that those fringe guys like Wallinder, Poirier, O’Rourke, Andrae, and others get snapped up in the 20’s. If that’s the case, I could certainly see the Kings packaging two seconds and whatever else to a defense-heavy team to get into the 20-25 range.

Token

May 15, 2019
There are lots of guys I would be open to trading. Lizotte, Amadio, Walker, Frk, Carter with retention, Moore, Grundstrom, Clague, even Iafallo or Kempe if the pick was high enough. The only guys on the roster last year that I wouldn’t move are Kopitar, Doughty, Vilardi, Anderson, and Roy.
Solid! I like the way you’re thinking.

Reactions: henkkj and funky

funky

Mar 9, 2002

The guy I would really want is Guhle and it would take a slip I don't see happening unfortunately. Bobby Mac has him rated 14 which I think is very fair. Some experts have him low 20's which I don't see but if it does I am all over it.

We have extra draft capital this year with 3 seconds and extra 3rds but it may take more than some picks. As for roster players I don't know what we have that others would want. Not sure if a couple of our seconds and a redundant prospect like Thomas moves the needle for a team trying to grab extra draft capital prospects but I doubt it. Realistically if we use our 35th pick we are looking to fill the difference to move up 15ish spots.

At the same time I wonder if keeping the 35th as well as the 2 picks in the 50's and staying the course may be smarter. At 35 there is a chance for 1 of Reichel, Peterka, Barron, Mysak, or Wallinder. All good looking prospects.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I agree that Byfield is the only (and best) choice at pick #2.

I would love to get one of Guhle, Wallinder, Grans, Barron or O'Rourke. I have a feeling that one of them will fall to the Kings even if they stay at pick #35. Guhle would also be my first choice but I have a feeling your right and he will be gone unless the Kings can trade up.

At picks #51 and #56 unless someone like Colangelo or Marat falls I hope that two of Jurmo, Torgersson, Niemela, Chromiak, Jarventie, Sourdif or FInley falls to the Kings.
Personally I want to see the Kings go Offense,offense,offense then with the Vegas pick tab a D-man...This draft is Forward top heavy so lets get as many as we can and worry about a D-man in 2021. Besides its not like the cupboard is empty we have some good-great looking youngsters...Bigfot,Anderson,Clague,Hults,Moveare...Durzi,Spence,Nouiainen...the Kings aren't devoid of talent on the backline as far as youngsters go,eh?

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I wouldn't trade Babu Frk

Token

May 15, 2019
Bobby Mac has him rated 14 which I think is very fair. Some experts have him low 20's which I don't see but if it does I am all over it.
I think that’s the key. If he dips the low 20’s it would make sense. Would be easier to find a dance partner there.

This draft will be full of surprises. The circumstances alone make it unique for ranking the kids.

Add to that at least 3 kids from DEL in the 1st round mix, some Swedes that didn’t get ice time in the SEL, and a grab-bag of D that suddenly shot up in the Central Scouting final rankings.

Kids are ranked all over the place.

Reactions: funky

funky

Mar 9, 2002
Just a question for those that saw more of him then me. Does Sanderson remind you of a our own Matthias Norstrom. Stud defensive Dman that won’t get a ton of points but skates well, can move the puck, won’t devastate anyone with massive hits but will move people off of pucks and maintain good gaps.

Not sure why that popped into my mind. He’s no where near good enough for us to think at at 2 but he may be a great guy to pair with an offensive partner.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Look to teams constrained by the cap who will be in need of picks and cap space. Possibilities could include the Leafs (Kasperi Kapanen), Stars (Jason Dickinson or Radek Faksa), Blues (Vince Dunn), Flyers (Robert Hagg), Blackhawks (Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik).
Kings have another shot at Kubalik...I'd be putting out more money than Chicago is willing to match...though I see some buy-outs/trades in the Black Hawk future and C Crawford is not coming back so that saves 6 M...Will Blake swallow his pride admit he crapped the bed and make a pitch for 25 year old Dominik Kubalik the Winger that has the potential to score 45-55 goals per year with Kopi-Star...I would in a heartbeat!!! And then I'd like to see the Kings go after T Hall...getting these two would be a coup! The Kings are in a good position now and will be better once Brown calls,Quick and Carter too and the other buy-outs from Yesteryear fade away into oblivion(Richards,Phaneuf...) Kings can do this(Kubalik/Hall) it would add some years to Kopi's career and spark a revival...the Kings were trending upward and were the hottest team in the NHL by a large margin when everything was shutdown...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Kilowatt,I can't understand why you have this hate for Kempe but a bromance for Vilardi? Yes he's back from the dead but really dude is he going to be a 2nd line centre? I say no based on his skating alone... and don't get me wrong the Kings have had a few poor skaters who could put the biscuit in the basket...Robitaille and Nicholls come to mind...Vilardi does not possess natural goalscoring touch or positioning and smarts...Kempe is a swift skater who will some day soon put it all together and pot 25-30 goals! As for trading Frk,Amadio,Grundstrom,Clague,Lizotte the Kings are probably higher on those players than a lot of other NHL teams since most are fringe (bottom 6 right now) and all NHL teams have their own bottom 6-8 to contend with...As for Walker,Clague and Carts...I like them all but unfortunately for Jeff the time could be up since he'll be 36 when Seattle starts their slim pickings next June...and the Kraken will have a shot at several of them for sure unless a 20-25 goal season surfaces from the likes of Frk or Grundstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad