Who does LA pick at #35 ?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
There are a few teams in the first round that traded out their 2/3/4 round picks that might dance.

Oilers, Columbus, Devils ...

Probably a bit unlikely to move the Oilers (#14) or the Devils (#18/#20) to trade back to #35. If the Devils move a pick, I'd imagine it'd be for some immediate help.

The Kings have picks #35, #50, #58, #65, #82, #96, #111, #127, #158, #189. Some comparable trade ups in the last decade:

---------
Islanders: #30 (Brock Nelson)
Blackhawks: #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt), #58 (Kent Simpson)

---------
Senators: #24 (Matt Puempel)
Red Wings: #35 (Tomas Jurco), #48 (Xavier Ouellet)

----------
Islanders: #28 (Joshua Ho-Sang)
Lightning: #35 (Dominik Masin), #57 (Jonathan MacLeod)

----------
Islanders: #28 (Anthony Beauvillier)
Lightning: #33 (Mitchell Stephens), #72 (Anthony Cirelli)

Blue Jackets: #29 (Gabriel Carlsson)
Maple Leafs: #34 (Travis Dermott), #68 (Martins Dzierkals)

-------------------

Ottawa has a boat load of picks as well, so the Kings might have some competition with moving up.

Reactions: Yog S'loth

Token

May 15, 2019
Probably a bit unlikely to move the Oilers (#14) or the Devils (#18/#20) to trade back to #35. If the Devils move a pick, I'd imagine it'd be for some immediate help.

The Kings have picks #35, #50, #58, #65, #82, #96, #111, #127, #158, #189. Some comparable trade ups in the last decade:

---------
Islanders: #30 (Brock Nelson)
Blackhawks: #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt), #58 (Kent Simpson)

---------
Senators: #24 (Matt Puempel)
Red Wings: #35 (Tomas Jurco), #48 (Xavier Ouellet)

----------
Islanders: #28 (Joshua Ho-Sang)
Lightning: #35 (Dominik Masin), #57 (Jonathan MacLeod)

----------
Islanders: #28 (Anthony Beauvillier)
Lightning: #33 (Mitchell Stephens), #72 (Anthony Cirelli)

Blue Jackets: #29 (Gabriel Carlsson)
Maple Leafs: #34 (Travis Dermott), #68 (Martins Dzierkals)

-------------------

Ottawa has a boat load of picks as well, so the Kings might have some competition with moving up.
Sublime! Thank you.

I casually browsed on CapFriendly the draft-day trades and my sense is that the closer the trade to the top-20, the fewer spots you jump.

In the top-20, jumping 2-3 spots takes a quality 2nd.

In the top 30-20, it’s a 3-4 spot jump for that good 2nd.

Top of the 2nd round to the mid/late 20’s, 4-5 spot jump with a decent mid 2nd.

after ~ 40-45 pick, jumps with 3rd and 4th round picks tend to explode; 10-15 spot jumps are not uncommon. Much like when we got Fagemo.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I would imagine the Kings may also trade a roster player or prospects along with one of the 2nds to move up in the draft.

In a normal year, trading the rights to Trevor Lewis might have been enough for Blake to move up slightly closer to the stage, but with a virtual draft there are no such considerations.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One player I like is Helge Grans, but Im not sure where he's expected to go, his rankings are all over the place. Seen him ranked anywhere from mid 1st round to early 3rd

I’d guess late first or early second, but who knows. If we got him at 35 I’d be happy, and if we got him later than that I’d be ecstatic.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
No and there are a lot of prospects I like in the second round. I really like Guhle from Prince Albert But I think he’s gone before 20.

Another guy I have really started to like his Kleven. A very physical blue liner that can skate and is starting to find an offensive touch

With the depth of this draft I think I’d be more inclined to move my third and fourth round picks and try and get her second round picks. There’s going to be surprised prospects at fall.

Last edited:

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016

funky

Mar 9, 2002

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Jack Jablonksi spoke to Sixten Funqvist & Christer Kasurinen about the Kings options in the later rounds (2nd-7th) of the draft. Covered about a dozen players from Sweden/Finland that the Kings might find available in the top 100 picks.

https://all-the-kings-men.simplecast.com/episodes/2020-nhl-draft-prospects-sweden-finland-cVFNJGOn

I really need to learn how to embed stuff on here...

Copying and pasting the Twitter link should embed the tweet that links to the podcast.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
But it's such a deep draft with many saying guys from 20-50+ are relatively close together. There's an enticement to sit still and pickup three guys and give yourself a chance even more chances for hitting on one or more of them. We'd have the luxury of getting some LT project guys and develop them over time. I'd really like to add some beef/size and meanness to the team.

I hope, that they keep and use all their 2nd and 3 rd round picks. I'm really happy, if they draft players like Tyler Kleven, Yegor Sokolov (overager, AHL ready), Roby Jarventie, Jake Neighbours. If Blake and Yannetti keep on drafting speed&skill softies, LA Kings will be like Toronto Maple Leafs - so much talent, so little playoff success.

Reactions: funky

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I hope, that they keep and use all their 2nd and 3 rd round picks. I'm really happy, if they draft players like Tyler Kleven, Yegor Sokolov (overager, AHL ready), Roby Jarventie, Jake Neighbours. If Blake and Yannetti keep on drafting speed&skill softies, LA Kings will be like Toronto Maple Leafs - so much talent, so little playoff success.
TML's goaltending and lack of depth are much bigger factors IMO

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I like Tristen Robins in that 35 spot unless we get a way to get Guhle or a great prospect in a move up.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
I have interest in him as well but his rankings and write ups are all over the place. I usually get to see the Blades play often but this last year I was playing to much hockey myself to go watch. Most the talk around Saskatoon is about Conner Zary. Have not heard a lot about Robins. Small guy with skill. Be interesting to see how he pans out. Don’t think I would take him with the 35th though.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
From what I’ve been able to find, he’s 5 10 about 175 good overall tools, really good passer and scorer, but what I really like is he drives hard all the time and gets his nose dirty and plays bigger than his size doesn’t back off when it starts to get rough. So if he cant crack the top six I think his attitude/approach has a good shot to translate well to 3rd line duties with some pop. Kinda like what TB seems to have allot of. But he still may build to a top 6 scorer.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I’d be extremely happy with Kleven Eleven in the 2nd round. Something we’re lacking with our D prospects.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019

Might be a little more expensive, but there is a real possibility LA-NJD trade is possible at the draft table. Would probably to be 35 + B prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad