Which of these players will and wont get in the HOF

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Why is perry a yes? Just because of his one fluke season? One of which he never even came close to ever matching again in his career or before it.

He is 36 years old, and just this season cracked 800 points in 1050 games played.
Perry is part of the triple gold club also he has a Hart and Rocket Richard trophy. Then you can throw 2 NHL first teams on top of it. He may not have a ton of points but his hardware screams HHOF.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It seems funny how often it has to be reminded its the hockey hall of fame not NHL.

I dont see how Kovalchuk doesn't make it by a long shot. But people say if he didn't leave he would get in. He won 2 cups, a Olympic gold as best player in tourney, won a scoring title in the khl, and won a best in the playoffs award. He only boosted his hhof case. And coming back the last 2 years might of switched away some of the bad attitudes about him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Confused why Rask wont get in according to some.

A couple Jennings, a Vezina, multiple finalist for Vezina, has a Cup (even if just as a backup, multiple finals appearances, one of the top stats in the playoffs all time for goalies and was very good internationally?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Was he though? Or was he just one of the best goal scorers?
From 2003/2004 to 2008/2009 he had the 2nd most points, and the most goals in the league. I know a bunch of guys broke into the league in 05/06, but that's still impressive.

In that timeframe, he had almost twice as many goals as #2 on the team. I think he was also plagued with 'meh' teammates on a bad team.

Reactions: Voight and HFpapi

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It seems funny how often it has to be reminded its the hockey hall of fame not NHL.

I dont see how Kovalchuk doesn't make it by a long shot. But people say if he didn't leave he would get in. He won 2 cups, a Olympic gold as best player in tourney, won a scoring title in the khl, and won a best in the playoffs award. He only boosted his hhof case. And coming back the last 2 years might of switched away some of the bad attitudes about him.

You would be delusional to think that it is not a nhl based hall of fame. It might have the words hockey hall of fame in it, but it is 100% run by the nhl and its sports writers. Which means that nhl awards and production is king.

The only other credentials that are not nhl related they will take into account are the olympics and iihf run tournamemts.

And i would guarantee that kovys olympic gold will not be taken to highly because he did not do it at a best on best tournament and one where nhl'ers did not participate in.

Reactions: DaveG

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You would be delusional to think that it is not a nhl based hall of fame. It might have the words hockey hall of fame in it, but it is 100% run by the nhl and its sports writers. Which means that nhl awards and production is king.

The only other credentials that are not nhl related they will take into account are the olympics and iihf run tournamemts.

And i would guarantee that kovys olympic gold will not be taken to highly because he did not do it at a best on best tournament and one where nhl'ers did not participate in.
What is this way over the top view based on? They've inducted non nhlers in more recent times and are not trying to be so narrow focused.

Is nhl the primary focus yes, however, They absolutely do account for accolades in other leagues.

Reactions: sexydonut

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Marleau - shouldn’t but will because of longevity
Perry - probably not
Getzlaf - yes
Kovalchuk - no
Weber - yes
Letang - no
Doughty - yes
Burns - borderline
MAF - shouldn’t but will because the media loves him he was lucky enough to play for the Pens and has cups.
Rask - not unless he wins a cup as a starter.
Quick - has a much better case than MAF but I think he’s borderline.

Reactions: psycat

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What is this way over the top view based on? They've inducted non nhlers in more recent times and are not trying to be so narrow focused.

Is nhl the primary focus yes, however, They absolutely do account for accolades in other leagues.

The only ones that get that treatment is the players that played on the soviet teams that terrorized the hockey world on the international stage.

You are not going to see the likes of radulov in the hall of fame because he dominates the khl. Or mozyakin.

If kovy gets in, it will be based solely on his nhl numbers and awards.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Was he though? Or was he just one of the best goal scorers?

He was unquestionably one of the most dominant, explosive, and difficult to contain offensive players for the better part of a decade as another poster pointed out...

Whether you consider best offensive player as being synonymous with best players overall is up to you, but I'll put it this way: If you have no problem putting Jack Eichel in your top 10 players in the league.... Kovy in his prime was what Eichel hopes to become.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He will not make it to 900 points. He is at 800 right now and he can barely stick in the nhl already. He won't or he will barely make it to 400 goals also.

He probably gets in with what he has already, 0.800 PPG is pretty good over 1000 games. He has a better argument then someone like Kevin Lowe.

I'm not saying he should be 1st ballot, but never getting in? Seems unlikely to me.

Reactions: Voight

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I'm confused, how is Weber a lock to get in, but Letang isn't? Letang has a better PPG in his career than Weber in the playoffs and regular season, I guess you can say Weber is better defensively, but we know the NHL never looks at defensive play when it comes to defensemen by the past Norris trophy winners. If anything Letang probably has a higher chance of getting in because of his Stanley Cup wins.

Reactions: sanscosm

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I'm confused, how is Weber a lock to get in, but Letang isn't? Letang has a better PPG in his career than Weber in the playoffs and regular season, I guess you can say Weber is better defensively, but we know the NHL never looks at defensive play when it comes to defensemen by the past Norris trophy winners. If anything Letang probably has a higher chance of getting in because of his Stanley Cup wins.

Wouldn't Weber captaining two different franchises and winning 2 gold medals (maybe 3 if he makes the 2022 Olympic team) with Canada swing things in his favour?

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if every player on that list makes it to the HOF. Maybe Letang and Rask don't, but they are still relatively young. Due to the parity that is happening in the league, there is going to be fewer "standout" players retiring every year, so every year we will see the quality of HOF inductees decrease.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Marleau - no
Perry - yes
Getzlaf - eventually
Kovalchuk - no
Weber - yes
Letang - no
Doughty - lock
Burns - depends
MAF - eventually
Rask - no unless he fixes anti clutcheness
Quick - no, good for a short window

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And sooner or later that hart stuff is going to have to end because then you get complimentary players like perry that has 1 fluke season in his career and the media is stupid enough to vote for him gets him into the hall of fame on a pretty pedestrian career.

He won world jr as a 4th liner on the most stacked world junior team in the history of the tournament. Only reason he made the olympics is because of his chemistry at the time with getzlaf.

Every one talks about the hall of very good, that is where perry fits in. He has yet to crack 400 goals, will never make it to 1000 points, and will be actually lucky to make it to 400 goals also.
Not that I disagree he wont make the HoF but he wasnt a 4th liner on that WJC team

Reactions: Voight

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

It is largely an NHL Hall of Fame in all but name, but it is funny that people will use the fact that it's not technically such to advocate for certain players when it fits their arguments.

That said, Kovalchuk should get in, but probably won't as I can't see the voters liking what he did.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Every one talks about the hall of very good, that is where perry fits in. He has yet to crack 400 goals, will never make it to 1000 points, and will be actually lucky to make it to 400 goals also.

You've got to adjust scoring totals to reflect the era. This is also something the Hall itself needs to do, as the over-inflated totals of the 1980s are seeing several questionable players inducted, and I can see them doing the same thing here and just looking at raw totals for the 1990s and 2000s without context.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Only one who deserves to be there on that list is Doughty. Weber with the outside shot.

Realistically with the loose standards of the NHL? All of them excluding Perry, Kovalchuk and rask get it.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Marleau - Not a HOF worthy player, but I suppose he does if he breaks the games record.

Perry - Good enough resume, but not a HOF worthy player

Getzlaf - Yes

Kovalchuk - No, but probably could have had he'd stayed in the league.

Weber - Borderline

Letang - I wouldn't

Doughty - Lock

Burns - I wouldn't

MAF - Shouldn't be anywhere near HOF in reality

Rask - Likely

Quick - Yes

Wait Doughty is a lock and Weber borderline? Come on man

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Doughty is a lock and I think Weber and Getzlaf will get in as well.

I have a feeling Fleury will due to his wins and Marleau as well for the games played record assuming he gets there.

I don't think Letang or Burns will get in though I think Burns might have a better shot than I first thought.

Perry will probably be a no, but I'm not 100% on it due to his Hart and winning everything.

Kovalchuk probably has the worst odds as I think his reputation as a high-scorer on bad teams and bailing on his contract will likely not sit well with voters.

Rask and Quick I'm really on the fence with. Goalies are tough to get in. I honestly done have a strong sense of whether they will or not.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wait Doughty is a lock and Weber borderline? Come on man

It's true though. Doughty's playoffs and Norris are pretty big advantages, and his reputation as a big-game player, especially with Weber having a less than stellar playoff record makes him a lock, even though their actual regular season play isn't that far apart. It's just the way the Hall operates.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Im laughing at everyone saying Perry will get in and not Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk was a better player, but I doubt he'd get in before Perry. The committee loves winners and Perry has won everything, and the Hart is a big feather in his cap. They also judge character and Kovalchuk signing that huge contract and then leaving for Russia soon after is going to hurt him. It's ironic because Perry is the one who's been a dbag on the ice for most of his career, but I'm sure it's seen as "doing whatever it takes to win".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad