Which of these players will and wont get in the HOF

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t see Fleury getting in without a top three Vezina year. He won a lot of games on great teams. The voters haven’t been generous minded to goalies in the past. Just ask Tom Barrasso.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don’t see Fleury getting in without a top three Vezina year. He won a lot of games on great teams. The voters haven’t been generous minded to goalies in the past. Just ask Tom Barrasso.
He's the biggest mix of I'm unsure how he will be considered by voters.

But the NHL all decade list they did last year he was 2nd, and listed as. Winner of 3 cups. If that mentality is held by enough voters, and I certainly know it will be by plenty, I can see him getting in. I don't think Quick or Fleury deserve it at all. They have each had 1 elite season is all. A couple great playoff wins and tourneys, but that is not enough for a goalie standard. Rask still has potential to get more great years under his belt so I don't know about him yet.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Once again, why wouldnt Rask get in? I believe he's close to, if not number one for playoff sv%, a Vezina, a couple Jennings, multiple Vezina nominations, great international record and a cup win (even if it wasnt as a starter).

One vezina, zero cups(Less than .500 win percentage in the season, .918 to thomas .938, zero playoff games in 2011. He wasn't a factor at all in their season), low career wins number. I'm assuming the rumors earlier this year that he retires after this season are true. If he plays until 37-39 and gets 400+ wins not doubt he gets in. Now? Doubtful

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's the biggest mix of I'm unsure how he will be considered by voters.

But the NHL all decade list they did last year he was 2nd, and listed as. Winner of 3 cups. If that mentality is held by enough voters, and I certainly know it will be by plenty, I can see him getting in. I don't think Quick or Fleury deserve it at all. They have each had 1 elite season is all. A couple great playoff wins and tourneys, but that is not enough for a goalie standard. Rask still has potential to get more great years under his belt so I don't know about him yet.
I get that Fleury is 5th on all-time wins list and unlike Cujo, whose 7th on the list, he has 3 Cups.

Yet Fleury has only received Vezina votes four times:
2010-11 8th (one 3rd vote)
2011-12 T-7th (one 3rd vote)
2017-18 5th (7.10% one 1st, one 2nd, three 3rd)
2018-19 4th (7.10% one 1st, one 2nd, three 3rd)

Hart Votes three times:
2010-11 9th (4.6%, one 1st, three 2nd, one third six 4th, four 5th)
2014-15 T-18th (one 5th vote lol)
2018-19 17th (.41% one 4th, four 5th votes)

And the Fleury has been on playoff teams since he was 22. That’s important because GMs don’t give the Vezina to non-playoff goalies. Luongo had to have a season for the ages to defy tradition and come in third in 2003-04. GMs don’t even typically vote for non-playoff goalies. I think Schneider in 2015-16 was the last non-playoff goalie to even get votes. (Cory came in 6th.)

So Fleury was always in the mix for a Vezina, he just wasn’t never seen as a top elite goaltender during his entire career. Voters for the Hall don’t differ that much from GMs.

Now, he’s on a dominant team in a low scoring division so Fleury could actually win the Vezina this year and then problem solved I guess.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
One vezina, zero cups(Less than .500 win percentage in the season, .918 to thomas .938, zero playoff games in 2011. He wasn't a factor at all in their season), low career wins number. I'm assuming the rumors earlier this year that he retires after this season are true. If he plays until 37-39 and gets 400+ wins not doubt he gets in. Now? Doubtful
Seem to be ignoring his success in the playoffs as well. As well as international bronze on a bad Finland team

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
The other posters' breakdowns of who gets in make sense.
However, since Kevin Lowe and Guy Carbonneau got in the hall, all of these players should get in.

Pretty much this!!! Kevin Lowe is a HOF!!! Everyone even not on this list should be able to make it easy.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Barrasso was also notoriously abrasive to both the media and teammates, which is not something that will endear you to the voters (many of whom come from the media or played themselves).

TonyDeAngelo

Aug 31, 2019
South Jersey
Quick, will get into the U.S Hockey Hall of Fame No.32 was the closest thing to Mike Richter injuries, and bad teams in his career will prevent him from ever being enshrined in The Hockey Hall of Fame.

Weber will get in.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Marleau
Perry
Getzlaf
Kovalchuk
Weber
Letang
Doughty
Burns
MAF
Rask
Quick

In
Marleau - 2nd most games ever, long career. respected.
Perry - triple gold club
Getzlaf

On the border
MAF probably in
Rask - not drafted high enough (weird but true)
Weber - 50/50. probably not. needs a great SC run also

Not in
Kovalchuk
Quick
Burns
Doughty - just not hood offensicw output enough
Letang - No

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
In
Marleau - 2nd most games ever, long career. respected.
Perry - triple gold club
Getzlaf

On the border
MAF probably in
Rask - not drafted high enough (weird but true)
Weber - 50/50. probably not. needs a great SC run also

Not in
Kovalchuk
Quick
Burns
Doughty - just not hood offensicw output enough
Letang - No

Isn't every Norris winner in the NHL HOF?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
First-ballot:
Doughty
Getzlaf
Perry

Later:
Marleau
Weber - Might change if he wins a cup
Letang
Marc-Andre Fleury
Quick
Rask

Never:
Kovalchuk
Burns

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Why is perry a yes? Just because of his one fluke season? One of which he never even came close to ever matching again in his career or before it.

He is 36 years old, and just this season cracked 800 points in 1050 games played.

He's Canadian and has team success.

You'd put Toews in, right? Pretty close

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
A lot of these guys are a huge maybe. Except Doughty, and Marleau because of how many games he played.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
Marleau - No (2x OG golds, 1x World Cup title; non-essential to any of the 3)
Perry - Unsure (1x Hart, 1x Rocket, 1x Stanley Cup; non-essential in 2/3rds of 1x World Cup, 2x OG golds)
Getzlaf - Unsure (1x Cup, 1x 2nd team all star; 120 playoff pts [125 gp]; non-essential in 2/3rds of 1x World Cup, 2x OG golds)
Kovalchuk - No (1x 1st team all star, 1x 2nd team all star, 1x Rocket, 1x OG gold [not recognized])
Weber - Yes (2× 1st team all star, 2x 2nd team all star, 2x OG golds, 1x World Cup title)
Letang - Yes (2× 2nd Team All Star, #1D on 3 Cup teams)
Doughty - Yes (2x Cups, 2x OG golds, 1x World Cup, 1x Norris, 2x 1st team all star, 2x 2nd team all star)
Burns - Unsure (1x Norris, 2x 1st team all star, 1x 2nd team all star, 1x World Cup title)
MAF - No (1 Cup as a starter [out of 3 Finals visits as a starter]; not getting in before Osgood [1x 2nd team all star + 2 Cups as a starter [out of 3 Finals visits as a starter])
Rask - Yes...for now (1× 1st team all star; 1x 2nd team all star; 1x Vezina; 0.922 regular/0.926 playoffs)
Quick - Yes (winningest US-born goalie, winningest Kings goalie, 1x 2nd team all star, Smythe, 2 Cups)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Games played pretty much means zilch, I don't think you could say that Marleau was ever one of the best players in the league at anytime.
To the types of old players and guys who vote on these things, it absolutely matters. It may be your criteria or your standard to say a player has to have been one of the best players in the league at anytime... but you can't say that's a standard actual hall voters have held too.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
What is wrong with this site? I just wrote like 5 paragraphs’ worth and the page just refreshed on me before I could submit. Total junk.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To the types of old players and guys who vote on these things, it absolutely matters. It may be your criteria or your standard to say a player has to have been one of the best players in the league at anytime... but you can't say that's a standard actual hall voters have held too.

If that's the criteria for the people who vote on those things then most of the guys you have as maybes will get in.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Marleau - No (2x OG golds, 1x World Cup title; non-essential to any of the 3)
Perry - Unsure (1x Hart, 1x Rocket, 1x Stanley Cup; non-essential in 2/3rds of 1x World Cup, 2x OG golds)
Getzlaf - Unsure (1x Cup, 1x 2nd team all star; 120 playoff pts [125 gp]; non-essential in 2/3rds of 1x World Cup, 2x OG golds)
Kovalchuk - No (1x 1st team all star, 1x 2nd team all star, 1x Rocket, 1x OG gold [not recognized])
Weber - Yes (2× 1st team all star, 2x 2nd team all star, 2x OG golds, 1x World Cup title)
Letang - Yes (2× 2nd Team All Star, #1D on 3 Cup teams)
Doughty - Yes (2x Cups, 2x OG golds, 1x World Cup, 1x Norris, 2x 1st team all star, 2x 2nd team all star)
Burns - Unsure (1x Norris, 2x 1st team all star, 1x 2nd team all star, 1x World Cup title)
MAF - No (1 Cup as a starter [out of 3 Finals visits as a starter]; not getting in before Osgood [1x 2nd team all star + 2 Cups as a starter [out of 3 Finals visits as a starter])
Rask - Yes...for now (1× 1st team all star; 1x 2nd team all star; 1x Vezina; 0.922 regular/0.926 playoffs)
Quick - Yes (winningest US-born goalie, winningest Kings goalie, 1x 2nd team all star, Smythe, 2 Cups)

Bolded have no historical relevance to the NHL HOF selections. There are hordes of international players with cupboards full of international trinkets outside the NHL HOF.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
Bolded have no historical relevance to the NHL HOF selections. There are hordes of international players with cupboards full of international trinkets outside the NHL HOF.

Lol watch Kariya's induction. Best-on-best achievements are always considered. Thats why I specified that I dont recognize Kovy's OG gold.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Lol watch Kariya's induction. Best-on-best achievements are always considered. Thats why I specified that I dont recognize Kovy's OG gold.

Jeez... Kariya was an NHL superstar going into NHL HOF selected by ex-NHL players.

When do we see these 2 gents in the NHL hall of fame then?

Jörgen Jönsson at eliteprospects.com
Kenny Jönsson at eliteprospects.com

(I d think people could stop pretending that NHL HOF is for anything else than NHL play. Tretiak's goalie coaching career selection is the cherry on top of this turd.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->