Letang - no
Doughty - yes
Burns - no
MAF - no
Rask - no
Quick - no

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Again, two finals appearances as the starter (one where he was the landslide Smythe winner if they won the last game), two jennings, a vezina, multiple nominations, international team starter, top 10 all time playoff sv% (even higher if you use a bigger game sample).

Add in a cup win even if he wasn't the starter and I dont see how his resume isn't there?

International starter, Jennings, and cup as a backup are all pretty meaningless. That playoff sv% would be impressive if he had something to show for it, instead there’s just a history of him playing poorly in elimination games. If he got in it wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I’m not that impressed with the resume.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Good point, hall of fame does tend to show more bias towards players with Olympic medals. For NHL stats though I feel like Letang has had a much better career statistically excluding defensive performance.

Shea Weber has over 1000gp and is the current active leader in goals scored by defencemen (220) with the potential to crack the top-10 all time in that category. What's Letang got to offer?

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Weber is borderline. Shame he'll never win a cup, that would have clinched it for him.

ThatQuietGuy93

Apr 23, 2013
London On
Marleau - hard to say. Not really hof calibre but probably but get in because of games played.
Perry - yes
Getzlaf - yes
Kovalchuk - no
Weber - yes
Letang - no
Doughty - yes (my least favourite player in the league)
Burns - no
MAF - no
Rask - no
Quick - no

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My opinion

Marleau -> Yes
Perry -> No
Getzlaf -> No
Kovalchuk -> No
Weber -> Yes
Letang -> No
Doughty -> Yes
Burns -> No
MAF -> Yes
Rask -> No
Quick -> No

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Considering it's now the Hall of Really Good instead of asking the question of whether they were amongst the very best(top 3) at their position for a substantial period of time during their playing career, all of them will get in.

Some of them shouldn't but the voters will find some reason like "triple gold" or "multiple Stanley Cups" to put them in.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree that under community standards, Perry shouldn't get in.

But, he's one of those guys who won at every level and no forward has ever won the Hart and failed to get in. Add in that Getzlaf is almost certain to get in and you'd throw in the fact that their duo was pretty iconic in the NHL for a time.

Would've liked to have seen him have a better career to make this argument but I still think he'll get in in and a lot of people will be upset about it. Far from first ballot though. Could be a situation where it takes 5-10 post retirement years.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Marleau: He'll get in, even though he doesn't really deserve it.
Perry: No
Getzlaf: Maybe
Kovalchuk: Probably should, but won't.
Weber: Yes
Letang: No
Doughty: Yes
Burns: Probably
MAF: Will make it even if he doesn't deserve to be in.
Rask: Too early to tell.
Quick: US HOF, HOF, No

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
International starter, Jennings, and cup as a backup are all pretty meaningless. That playoff sv% would be impressive if he had something to show for it, instead there’s just a history of him playing poorly in elimination games. If he got in it wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I’m not that impressed with the resume.
Jennings and winning a medal as a starter absolutely aren't meaningless.

Leading your team to multiple finals, being the front runner for the smythe certainly means a whole lot too. Its not his fault his TEAM cant close. Hes done more than his part in the playoffs.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Marleau - Kind of a Recchi type. Will finish with the games played record and a lot of career points compiled. I think he's a lock but maybe not first ballot
Perry - Amazing prime, weak rest of his career. This one's tough... I'll say no
Getzlaf - Yes
Kovalchuk - Yes
Weber - Yes
Letang - Had a lot of injuries but the HOF likes to take all the best players from dominant teams. Yes
Doughty - Yes
Burns - No
MAF - I wouldn't vote for him but he's popular and has a nice smile. He's in IMO
Rask - Yes
Quick - Yes

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Weber came within a hair of winning TWO Norris trophies. He lost arguably the two closest racers ever, and was outright robbed in 2011. He's the best d-man of his era after Doughty/Karlsson. Nevemrind that hes been a key part of multiple Canada Gold teams and is an all around beast.

Not arguably, he did lose the two closest races ever with 9 votes in '11 and 12 votes in '12.
BUT, his most impressive season '13-14 he was third, losing to a less impressive Duncan Keith.

That year Rinne was limited to only 24 games due to injury, which forced Hutton and Mazanec to be our starters. Our three best forwards that year were Hornqvist, Smith and Fisher; only Hornqvist Smith and Weber would hit 50 points for that team compared to Chicago's Sharp, Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa who all hit at least 60. Weber's 23 goals were second on the team to Smith's 24, and his 56 points led the team.

Despite all that Weber pretty much drug that team kicking and screaming into a playoff spot, ultimately finishing three points out, on the last day of the season had Dallas lost and Nashville won their games Nashville would have been in. The biggest excuse to why Weber didn't win that year was because he wasn't on a playoff team.

Weber finished the year 23-33-56 averaging 27 minutes a night with 4 game winners and no legitimate top line players, Keith finished 6-55-61 averaged 24 minutes a night with 3 game winners and 4 top line players.

Weber is borderline. Shame he'll never win a cup, that would have clinched it for him.

No he's not. He's closer to first ballot lock than borderline.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Perry was best player on that 2010-2011 season. If you were the top dog, even for short period of time you should make the hall. Add to that his other resume is darn good.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Kevin Lowe really lowered the bar getting in that I would say almost all of them get in now.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Weber came within a hair of winning TWO Norris trophies. He lost arguably the two closest racers ever, and was outright robbed in 2011. He's the best d-man of his era after Doughty/Karlsson. Nevemrind that hes been a key part of multiple Canada Gold teams and is an all around beast.
Drew Doughty Is Not Only No Longer Elite - He's Terrible. Doughty is shit mate, but the hall of fame does not look at the advanced statistics therefore Doughty will be inducted.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
It is largely an NHL Hall of Fame in all but name, but it is funny that people will use the fact that it's not technically such to advocate for certain players when it fits their arguments.

That said, Kovalchuk should get in, but probably won't as I can't see the voters liking what he did.

Kovy should not get in.

And no, KHL stats etc dont count. Nobody care about what was done in an inferior hockey league against weaker competition.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You can believe that but unfortunately it's not true. No hardware, at all. First ballot lock? :laugh:

Hardware is not a requisite for the HHOF. If you had to win a Norris or Hart to get in, the Hall would be much smaller.

Weber for more then a decade has been a top 5 player at his position, top 3 for most of that, and most would agree he was best defenseman in at least 2 of those seasons. Will end up top 10 dman goals all time, 260-280 goals total, 650-700+ points and all the time has been as good defensively as a defensemen can be. Not that that seems to matter to voters or fans anymore, but being best in class defensively as a defenseman for a whole career should qualify you for the Hall on that alone. Lead your team multiple times in points and you have a pretty special player, When Subban won his Norris he wasn't even trusted to kill penalties, and started in the ozone almost 60% of the time. Weber has like 10 seasons that were better then the season Doughty had when he won his Norris ffs.

So ya, he has been completely dominant and the voters will realize who he is. He is HHOF lock if his career ends today, and if he does his typical 15/30 for the next 2-3 years he is a first ballot lock. And the Habs finally have a team that could go on a run, lots left of this story to tell, based on his fitness he is probably top 2 dman for another 2-4 years.

Complete lock.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Oh, and Doughty is in for sure. a Norris plus three other top 3's, the Cups, International success, etc. Lock.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Norris: 2,2,3,4,4,6,7,8,10

Again, the two closest loses for the Norris with 9 and 12 votes. And he's still playing at a high level, who knows maybe they'll give him a going away Norris ala Lidstrom.

Funny you say that, I have thought the same. It's too bad he was injured in 2017, I think that was his year, was on pace for his typical 17/35 and that would have been enough. Same for the next year, was on pace for 20/30.

Not sure if he has enough left and guys that can't play D but will put up 20 more points are going to continue to get the prize. A guy like Hughes, who I love as a player, is getting absolutely steam rolled every night but he will put up 70 point pace and will beat out a rock solid 50 point pace. The award has been for the best offensive Dman for a while now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pretty sure he hasn't been good since his early years and even in his early years he was massively overrated by hockey fans because of points, hits, and blocks.

He was nominated for the Norris 2 seasons ago.....

Also I dont care much for advanced stats, let alone when used by some random blogger trying to prove a point.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->