Which of these players will and wont get in the HOF

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It's true though. Doughty's playoffs and Norris are pretty big advantages, and his reputation as a big-game player, especially with Weber having a less than stellar playoff record makes him a lock, even though their actual regular season play isn't that far apart. It's just the way the Hall operates.

Weber could have had three Norrises if things went his way. He'll be in the hall.

Reactions: DaveG

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Weber could have had three Norrises if things went his way. He'll be in the hall.

...but he doesn't and there's the rub. That said, I think that will be an argument in his favor and I agree that he will likely get in. Out of the players the OP listed he's probably the most deserving.

Reactions: Burkeocet

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Kovalchuk was a better player, but I doubt he'd get in before Perry. The committee loves winners and Perry has won everything, and the Hart is a big feather in his cap. They also judge character and Kovalchuk signing that huge contract and then leaving for Russia soon after is going to hurt him. It's ironic because Perry is the one who's been a dbag on the ice for most of his career, but I'm sure it's seen as "doing whatever it takes to win".

I mean by being called "Hall of Fame" should have alot to do with Fame, and i mean, Leaving NJ the way he did sure did give him fame :sarcasm: Joking aside, Kovalchuk has more points than perry in the NHL and he left for years. :laugh:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
...but he doesn't and there's the rub. That said, I think that will be an argument in his favor and I agree that he will likely get in. Out of the players the OP listed he's probably the most deserving.

Even if he doesn't win one, and he still can if he keeps up his play or the voters give him a farewell tour one, he'll end up the best defenseman to not win one and will get in for that alone.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He doesn't though. And he only has 2 runner ups that were close enough to say he might have won. He was close to 2nd in '14, but well back of 1st place. And Doughty has 2 runner ups on top of his Norris as well.

I do think Weber should and will get in, but I don't think there's much question that Doughty is more of a slam dunk.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He doesn't though. And he only has 2 runner ups that were close enough to say he might have won. He was close to 2nd in '14, but well back of 1st place. And Doughty has 2 runner ups on top of his Norris as well.

I do think Weber should and will get in, but I don't think there's much question that Doughty is more of a slam dunk.

The two closest runner ups in history though, he doesn't have a Norris but he's only 21 votes away from having 2 Norrises, and of course the notorious '14 season where he probably should have been closer to the Hart than the Norris with what he did.

Doughty will get in first ballot, but I doubt Weber would have to wait too long if he's not a first ballot as well.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Weber should have 1 norris, he was robbed in 2011 so the writers could give lidstrom 1 final norris even in a season where he wasn't even close to be good enough to win it.

Reactions: JakeFromStateFarm

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Wouldn't Weber captaining two different franchises and winning 2 gold medals (maybe 3 if he makes the 2022 Olympic team) with Canada swing things in his favour?
Good point, hall of fame does tend to show more bias towards players with Olympic medals. For NHL stats though I feel like Letang has had a much better career statistically excluding defensive performance.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I say no to all except Weber, Quick, and Doughty. Rask could make it, but he needs a few more years padding his resume, because the body of work just isn’t there.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I was actually unsure about Weber, but he made 4 all-star teams. Are there any players with that many at any position that aren’t in? He missed another by 1 vote. Add to this that he’s still playing at a high level. He’s going to have the peak, and a lengthy career of being good to go with it. I’m calling him a lock.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why is perry a yes? Just because of his one fluke season? One of which he never even came close to ever matching again in his career or before it.

He is 36 years old, and just this season cracked 800 points in 1050 games played.

Perry has 4 other seasons where he placed top 5 in goals and 1 other where he placed top 10 in points outside of 2011. He has 2 first AST's and has had a key role in multiple Canadian Gold Medal teams.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Marleau - shouldn’t but will because of longevity
Perry - probably not
Getzlaf - yes
Kovalchuk - no
Weber - yes
Letang - no
Doughty - yes
Burns - borderline
MAF - shouldn’t but will because the media loves him he was lucky enough to play for the Pens and has cups.
Rask - not unless he wins a cup as a starter.
Quick - has a much better case than MAF but I think he’s borderline.

Agree with this only caveat I might have is that I think Rask is as much borderline as Quick. And personally id rate the former above.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm confused, how is Weber a lock to get in, but Letang isn't? Letang has a better PPG in his career than Weber in the playoffs and regular season, I guess you can say Weber is better defensively, but we know the NHL never looks at defensive play when it comes to defensemen by the past Norris trophy winners. If anything Letang probably has a higher chance of getting in because of his Stanley Cup wins.

Weber came within a hair of winning TWO Norris trophies. He lost arguably the two closest racers ever, and was outright robbed in 2011. He's the best d-man of his era after Doughty/Karlsson. Nevemrind that hes been a key part of multiple Canada Gold teams and is an all around beast.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Only one who deserves to be there on that list is Doughty. Weber with the outside shot.

Realistically with the loose standards of the NHL? All of them excluding Perry, Kovalchuk and rask get it.
Once again, why wouldnt Rask get in? I believe he's close to, if not number one for playoff sv%, a Vezina, a couple Jennings, multiple Vezina nominations, great international record and a cup win (even if it wasnt as a starter).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Confused why Rask wont get in according to some.

A couple Jennings, a Vezina, multiple finalist for Vezina, has a Cup (even if just as a backup, multiple finals appearances, one of the top stats in the playoffs all time for goalies and was very good internationally?

Rask will probably make it. He has been a model of consistency

Almost won the Vezina again last year

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I say no to all except Weber, Quick, and Doughty. Rask could make it, but he needs a few more years padding his resume, because the body of work just isn’t there.
Again, two finals appearances as the starter (one where he was the landslide Smythe winner if they won the last game), two jennings, a vezina, multiple nominations, international team starter, top 10 all time playoff sv% (even higher if you use a bigger game sample).

Add in a cup win even if he wasn't the starter and I dont see how his resume isn't there?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm confused, how is Weber a lock to get in, but Letang isn't? Letang has a better PPG in his career than Weber in the playoffs and regular season, I guess you can say Weber is better defensively, but we know the NHL never looks at defensive play when it comes to defensemen by the past Norris trophy winners. If anything Letang probably has a higher chance of getting in because of his Stanley Cup wins.

If Weber was playing behind those Pens teams he has 50 more goals and 120 more points plus a few Norris trophies. Will still finish around 275 goals and 700+ points. Easy 300/ 825 with better teams.

Bottom line with Weber is he will finish in top 10 goals all time by a D man, is one of the nest defensive dmen in the past 50 years, and was top 3-5 for 12 years. Playing behind garbage teams his whole career. This is a guy that spent ten years of his prime playing behind Legwand, Fisher and Ribeiro. This Preds teams only got good his last 100 games or so.

Guy is a complete unicorn. On pace for 15G and 50 points again this year, he probably is a top 4 into his late 30s. Complete first ballot lock and would be considered an all timer if he had played on the teams Lidstrom or Letang played on.

Reactions: Soundgarden

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Rask is a lock as well.

Not on the list, Price will get in unless the next 5 years are a disaster. Will get to 475 wins with a shot at 500 which will make him top 5-7 all time. And Montreal has a good team that will go on a run the next 5 so should be his best teams as of yet. Goalies tend to age well so wouldn't be surprised to see him win some hardware over the next 5.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
You guys know Marleau is 25th in goals all time, right? It’s not just the fact that he will have the most games played ever, and he has Olympic gold. Ya’ll are crazy if you think he isn’t getting in, especially with some of the names people are throwing around to be “locks.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->