Where will Mo go?

Where will Moritz Seider play in 2019-2020?

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Rasmussen gained absolutely nothing by physically dominating a bunch of kids in junior.

He got to experience what it's like not being able to push around everybody else and will grow from that struggle. It'll make him a better player when he grows into his frame and can push around just about everybody.
But the problem isn't to do with his ability/lack of ability to push people around, it's that he can't really do anything else. He needed to go play with kids because that was his actual skill level with the puck. And it still might be.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The Rasmussen comparison makes no sense. Seider already has proven he is capable of playing with men in his draft year. Rasmussen had never played with men prior to last season (His D+2 year).

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
After watching tonight... He played a TON of minutes and played them very well... I don't know if he would play this much back at Mannheim, I think they send him to GR... We'll see

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've pushed for Seider to be in either GR or Germany, but if he's in GR who is pushed out? Right now, we're looking at Kaski, McIlrath, Saarijarvi, and Lindstrom on the right side in GR. Maybe keep Kaski up as depth, and rotate Saarijarvi/Lindstrom? I think McIlrath is safe regardless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've pushed for Seider to be in either GR or Germany, but if he's in GR who is pushed out? Right now, we're looking at Kaski, McIlrath, Saarijarvi, and Lindstrom on the right side in GR. Maybe keep Kaski up as depth, and rotate Saarijarvi/Lindstrom? I think McIlrath is safe regardless.

Imagine Seider repeating tonight's performance for 70 to 90 games with a callup to the AHL at season end for playoffs if his OHL team gets bounced in the playoffs. I think it would be dynamite for his offensive development. Think that even more after watching him last night, let's get him sky high confidence wise, clear some of the right side driftwood and start him in the AHL with option to call him up next year. I want him playing on the smaller ice surface and I like that he embraced that massively last night, he seems to like the game quicker, it is a slower game in Europe. I really want him in NA.

Reactions: Lil Bert and NEWing

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rasmussen gained absolutely nothing by physically dominating a bunch of kids in junior.

He got to experience what it's like not being able to push around everybody else and will grow from that struggle. It'll make him a better player when he grows into his frame and can push around just about everybody.

Hronek played in the CHL in his +1 year after playing in a men’s league in his draft year.

I’d say that worked out well.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Personally, I would rather that Seider continue to play against men. I think there is a bigger risk for picking up bad habits that stunt his growth in the OHL at this point.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Personally, I would rather that Seider continue to play against men. I think there is a bigger risk for picking up bad habits that stunt his growth in the OHL at this point.
I think a lot of that depends on the CHL coaching staff and Horcoff continually reviewing his play. Bad habits form because no one is correcting them.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I think a lot of that depends on the CHL coaching staff and Horcoff continually reviewing his play. Bad habits form because no one is correcting them.

I also think outside the rink there is less structure in the CHL. That said a billet family may also have benefits as he adjusts to being away from home.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's literally what my entire post was based around.

Don't think he has much to gain from dominating kids half his size in junior.

Ok, well I don’t agree with the logic there then.

This kid is not like the Rasmussen situation. Rasmussen was a #1 center playing 20+ min a night in his draft year.

Seider was a #6/7 defenseman last year playing ~12 min a game. The kid needs to play in a big role, and gain confidence, and take command on a power play unit.

The CHL is the best (probably only) place he’s going to do that. Same exact thing as Hronek who was playing in a men’s league in his draft year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ok, well I don’t agree with the logic there then.

This kid is not like the Rasmussen situation. Rasmussen was a #1 center playing 20+ min a night in his draft year.

Seider was a #6/7 defenseman last year playing ~12 min a game. The kid needs to play in a big role, and gain confidence, and take command on a power play unit.

The CHL is the best (probably only) place he’s going to do that. Same exact thing as Hronek who was playing in a men’s league in his draft year.

After watching him last night, I can see him eating minutes in the AHL.

Reactions: ealong59

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
After watching him last night, I can see him eating minutes in the AHL.

I don’t know. With Lashoff, McIlrath, Hicketts (possibly Kaski/Lindstrom) around I feel like he would end up being like a #4-#6 on that team.

I’d rather have him be the go-to guy for a year somewhere.

But it’s just a preference thing, I suppose.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's literally what my entire post was based around.

Don't think he has much to gain from dominating kids half his size in junior.

Being extremely assertive is something I want him to be. Maybe he gets that in Germany or the AHL.

I am positive he gets 22+ a night in all situation and starts using his skating, offense and physicality checking top lines in the CHL. We also don't have to stick him there for two years or anything, this is purely on the outlook of this year. It keeps him adjusting to NA ice in an optimal environment for me. I think there will be nights he finds his checking assignment pretty tough at points.

Ultimately though I think he plays pro hockey and I cannot really blame him, he needs to leave probably a decent amount of money on the table to play CHL hockey. I just think it would be best for his development, but I am also endorsing trading him to one of the powerhouse teams as well if we do go this route.

I also then don't have to have every Griffins thread ruined by the idea they are just a Red Wings play thing when he isn't getting the minutes people want and isn't a preferred PP guy or something. I guess we will see, Seider is going to need to develop a lot no matter where we put him. I am very pro NA just from the pace of play standpoint though my guy feeling is he is in Mannheim this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Being extremely assertive is something I want him to be. Maybe he gets that in Germany or the AHL.

I am positive he gets 22+ a night in all situation and starts using his skating, offense and physicality checking top lines in the CHL. We also don't have to stick him there for two years or anything, this is purely on the outlook of this year. It keeps him adjusting to NA ice in an optimal environment for me.

Ultimately though I think he plays pro hockey and I cannot really blame him, he needs to leave probably a decent amount of money on the table to play CHL hockey. I just think it would be best for his development, but I am also endorsing trading him to one of the powerhouse teams as well if we do go this route.

I follow the guys at hockeyprospect.com closely.

And they talked about one of the biggest reasons in him jumping up their rankings was how well he looked offensively at the World Junior B challenge when playing against kids his age. I’m paraphrasing here, but they kind of seemed surprised how strong he looked offensively compared to how conservative he played on the men’s club.

This is another big reason I say I am in favor of a season in the OHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I follow the guys at hockeyprospect.com closely.

And they talked about one of the biggest reasons in him jumping up their rankings was how well he looked offensively at the World Junior B challenge when playing against kids his age. I’m paraphrasing here, but they kind of seemed surprised how strong he looked offensively compared to how conservative he played on the men’s club.

This is another big reason I say I am in favor of a season in the OHL.

His skating was really what made me start to like him. I love how effortless it is, for a man his size that is really a plus tool. He has a lot of the same qualities Dobson has in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His skating was really what made me start to like him. I love how effortless it is, for a man his size that is really a plus tool. He has a lot of the same qualities Dobson has in my opinion.

Yeah, if you’re going to try to sell me on a defenseman prospect... telling me he has great skating and hockey sense is the best way to start.

Just wish I knew he was a viable pick in our range, would have got more acquainted with him. It kills me being in the dark with prospects. Selfishly this is why I’d like him in NA, it would be great if he was accessible so I can get a better gauge on him over this next year as a player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, if you’re going to try to sell me on a defenseman prospect... telling me he has great skating and hockey sense is the best way to start.

Just wish I knew he was a viable pick in our range, would have got more acquainted with him. It kills me being in the dark with prospects. Selfishly this is why I’d like him in NA, it would be great if he was accessible so I can get a better gauge on him over this next year as a player.

I was higher on Broberg, but said on draft night I liked a lot of the same things about Seider. I think he is more polished defensively, but didn't have quite the same ceiling for me. But my thought on both was they seem to do even better when the pace picks up in the game. Which for me is encouraging, hockey is played at a higher pace on this side of the pond so I always like that. Honestly was a big selling point on Berggren as well a guy that seems to do better in an environment where speed seems to get them even more engaged.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Generally speaking, you need to play against greater competition to improve; romping on other kids in the CHL likely won't be that for Seider.

It'll boost his confidence and allow him to work on his offensive game, sure, but he needs to play against bigger, stronger opponents at this point. If he's really cut out for the big show, that will only help his development.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was higher on Broberg, but said on draft night I liked a lot of the same things about Seider. I think he is more polished defensively, but didn't have quite the same ceiling for me. But my thought on both was they seem to do even better when the pace picks up in the game. Which for me is encouraging, hockey is played at a higher pace on this side of the pond so I always like that. Honestly was a big selling point on Berggren as well a guy that seems to do better in an environment where speed seems to get them even more engaged.

Broberg has higher offensive upside, by far.
But there are also questions about his defensive game.

I think Seider might be good enough, with his speed/smarts/size, to compete for a job with Madison Bowey for the third RD spot.

But is that best for his development? Probably not.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Imagine Seider repeating tonight's performance for 70 to 90 games with a callup to the AHL at season end for playoffs if his OHL team gets bounced in the playoffs. I think it would be dynamite for his offensive development. Think that even more after watching him last night, let's get him sky high confidence wise, clear some of the right side driftwood and start him in the AHL with option to call him up next year. I want him playing on the smaller ice surface and I like that he embraced that massively last night, he seems to like the game quicker, it is a slower game in Europe. I really want him in NA.

Yeah, I could get behind a stint in the OHL because of that. If there was some definite space in GR for him, I'd be fine with him there, too. Last night was an eye opener with him. I was expecting a far more cautious game.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Generally speaking, you need to play against greater competition to improve; romping on other kids in the CHL likely won't be that for Seider.

It'll boost his confidence and allow him to work on his offensive game, sure, but he needs to play against bigger, stronger opponents at this point. If he's really cut out for the big show, that will only help his development.

He's got to play, though. Will he be trusted with big minutes in GR where they have a bunch of older and, likely, safer players to put out in front of him? Going to the CHL, playing huge minutes every night, and being able to screw up once in awhile and just play through it...there's some benefit to that. Especially as he's also getting used to the smaller ice surface, different culture, etc.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's got to play, though. Will he be trusted with big minutes in GR where they have a bunch of older and, likely, safer players to put out in front of him? Going to the CHL, playing huge minutes every night, and being able to screw up once in awhile and just play through it...there's some benefit to that. Especially as he's also getting used to the smaller ice surface, different culture, etc.

Playing time is a valid point, but I honestly think he's good enough to play middle-pairing minutes in the A as he is now.

What they'll do with the logjam after that is anyone's guess, but yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad