Where will Mo go?

Where will Moritz Seider play in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
#RedWings Seider: “It’s probably not Germany anymore. I decided for myself probably staying in the States for a couple years now. First of all, it should be about making the team 100 percent. That’s why I’m here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AHL teams know that they're farm team, GR's GM is an assistant GM with the Wings. High first round picks always get ice time, just like Zadina did last year.

That isn't how this works and it never will so to put it that way is absurd every time posters do it.

The DeVos family owns the team and while they have a very good working relationship with the Ilitch family even allowing Ryan Martin GM control they don't operate the team as an anything the Wings say goes operation. I really don't understand why people struggle with this the Griffins are not a Red Wings play thing. They are a professional sports organization with a very close working relationship but wins and proper team construct is going to take precedence over how a lot of posters like to put things.

McIlrath is important at that level because of the physicality. I think somebody else on the right will have to give, though honestly this is a huge reason I didn't want Hicketts in terms of Lashoff and McIlrath being your AHL types was fine, didn't need a third AHL guy in that picture. Oh well Simon will have to juggle if he gets Mo, but they aren't going to juice his ice time or do something just because that still isn't how it works at all. Seider will get to play because he is good enough to, but he will have to earn his ice time that is what professional hockey is about everywhere.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That isn't how this works and it never will so to put it that way is absurd every time posters do it.

The DeVos family owns the team and while they have a very good working relationship with the Ilitch family even allowing Ryan Martin GM control they don't operate the team as an anything the Wings say goes operation. I really don't understand why people struggle with this the Griffins are not a Red Wings play thing. They are a professional sports organization with a very close working relationship but wins and proper team construct is going to take precedence over how a lot of posters like to put things.

McIlrath is important at that level because of the physicality. I think somebody else on the right will have to give, though honestly this is a huge reason I didn't want Hicketts in terms of Lashoff and McIlrath being your AHL types was fine, didn't need a third AHL guy in that picture. Oh well Simon will have to juggle if he gets Mo, but they aren't going to juice his ice time or do something just because that still isn't how it works at all. Seider will get to play because he is good enough to, but he will have to earn his ice time that is what professional hockey is about everywhere.
Really a moot point unless you actually think Lashoff, Hicketts, McIlrath, Vili, and Lindstrom are better Dmen than Seider. If you do, then you're not worth arguing with anyways.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really a moot point unless you actually think Lashoff, Hicketts, McIlrath, Vili, and Lindstrom are better Dmen than Seider. If you do, then you're not worth arguing with anyways.

Saying a veteran AHL guy is better than an 18 year old isn’t as blasphemous as you think. Also good luck having a more insightful conversation on here if you go that route.

Liljegren had a limited role in his +1 year in the AHL. It happens with guys drafted in the 1st round all the time. The AHL is a hard place to play for teenagers.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I don't think they are better long-term at all, but Ben Simon isn't going to play them in the way you're describing there. Potential versus reality are two different things. 20 years of watching both levels (AHL/IHL and NHL) tells me that. Conversations with people at both levels organizationally tells me that. Keep in mind McIlrath is a 10th overall pick, people might have mocked it but he had a first round grade and he is still kicking it in the AHL. Where you're picked doesn't matter very much at all in the pros. I have no doubt he will earn ice time, I think it is probably time to move Vili if we can get anything for him great. Cholo will be on PP1 if he is down there to start the year though, Kaski/Bowey are likely to be there one or the other, so you are conveniently framing the argument while forgetting some of the depth on the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Saying a veteran AHL guy is better than an 18 year old isn’t as blasphemous as you think. Also good luck having a more insightful conversation on here if you go that route.

Liljegren had a limited role in his +1 year in the AHL. It happens with guys drafted in the 1st round all the time. The AHL is a hard place to play for teenagers.
We're not talking some random 18 year old, and most career AHLer's have holes in their game. From what I've seen, Seider isn't a game breaker (right now), but he doesn't have any huge weaknesses like Hicketts, Lashoff, etc.

FYI, Liljegren was on the top pair with PK and PP duties until he sprained his ankle this past season. He also got injured the previous season, and he was getting PK and PP duties in his first season as a Marlie. So that example actually supports my argument, not yours. Seider is a bigger kid, so hopefully he doesn't wind up with injuries like Liljegren who's a smaller dman.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I’ll put money on it that if Seider is in GR he’ll play more than most of those guys

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're not talking some random 18 year old, and most career AHLer's have holes in their game. From what I've seen, Seider isn't a game breaker (right now), but he doesn't have any huge weaknesses like Hicketts, Lashoff, etc.

Seider has been over committing and chases the play too much. That's going to be a problem in a league like the AHL and the coach isn't going to give him a ton of minutes if he doesn't figure it out. Guys like Hicketts and Lashoff might have issues with their game that will keep them from ever being long term NHLers, but they are seasoned AHL vets who know how to win down there. Sieder in GR has the potential to have similar drawbacks to Seider in Germany. And if Seider does take minutes from someone, it's likely going to be from guys like Lindstrom, Saarijarvi, and Kaski - guys with similar experience issues who we want to develop down there.

I think Seider will play up the team as the season goes along, but he's not going to just walk into a top position because of his draft position and career potential.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Any chance Detroit sends one of the AHL d-man on loan to another AHL team?

I know NHL teams have done so in the past. Recall Washington allowed Nylander to play for Grand Rapids near the end of his career. More recently Gagner was loan to the Toronto Marlies when he was in the minors.

Anyone know the rules for NHL teams loaning players to AHL teams (outside their farm club)?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

FYI, Liljegren was on the top pair with PK and PP duties until he sprained his ankle this past season. He also got injured the previous season, and he was getting PK and PP duties in his first season as a Marlie. So that example actually supports my argument, not yours. Seider is a bigger kid, so hopefully he doesn't wind up with injuries like Liljegren who's a smaller dman.

There were 5 defenseman with more points than him in 17-18 on the Marlies, so I don’t think this is the case. Maybe by the end of the year he had a decent role. Pretty sure he was bottom 4 most of his +1 year.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There were 5 defenseman with more points than him in 17-18 on the Marlies, so I don’t think this is the case. Maybe by the end of the year he had a decent role. Pretty sure he was bottom 4 most of his +1 year.

He has been hurt a lot, but they didn't really leverage him because he wasn't really ready either in the games I caught against the Marlies. You have to earn your ice time. Teams can exert a little more pressure actually on the CHL than the can the AHL unless you're in a situation where you outright own the team. Even there it's pretty unheard of for the AHL team to be treated like it isn't a professional entity where team decisions are made at that level. I haven't witnessed it yet and I am always miffed the way people like to talk about it like a foregone conclusion.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you're stat watching, just look at the number of games. He's been injured, reinjured himself in that one ECHL game which was supposed to be a conditioning stint.

Your assessment is wrong, just Google it. AHL doesn't track TOI, but every article shows he was top pair:
Why you shouldn't expect Timothy Liljegren and Rasmus Sandin...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If hes saying this in the media, its likely detroit has talked to him about it and makes more sense to have control over his development. If he goes back to Germany, there is no stopping that coach if he decides to scratch him or play him 12 mins a night again. You can only have so many vets in the line up for an AHL game for starters, a lot of the guys listed above will go to the ECHL as well. Even if hes the number 4 in GR, he'll get solid ice time and can play some different roles. He'll also be an option as a call up to Detroit if injuries hit or they want to give him a taste.

Seems to make the most sense to me

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would put him in NHL 3rd pair.

We don't have to care about his NHL games, he is safe from Seattle expansion anyways. Just put him in.

1. RD Mike Green
2.RD Filip Hronek
3.RD Moritz Seider
4.RD Madison Bowey

1. LD Danny DeKeyser
2.LD Patrick Nemeth
3.LD Jonathan Ericsson
4.LD Trevor Daley

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I would put him in NHL 3rd pair.

We don't have to care about his NHL games, he is safe from Seattle expansion anyways. Just put him in.

1. RD Mike Green
2.RD Filip Hronek
3.RD Moritz Seider
4.RD Madison Bowey

1. LD Danny DeKeyser
2.LD Patrick Nemeth
3.LD Jonathan Ericsson
4.LD Trevor Daley
As much as I wanna see the F & D kids take the reigns asap/dump the aging vets, I think baby-sitting Ericsson/Daley wouldn't be prudent. By mid-season, once he's tearing up GR & more time to adjust to NA ice, call him up to stay. He was only playing against prospects/rookies, but admittedly looks very good. Same thing for Veleno & Zadina, probably Svech and/or Ras too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->