Where will Mo go?

Where will Moritz Seider play in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
I feel like with where they drafted him, and depending how he plays in the preseason, they are going to slot him in top pair in GR. He's played pretty well this tournament. And he is still adjusting to NA ice. I feel like they are throwing a ton of minutes at him to get a good evaluation of him on NA ice.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Agreed. The notes about Seider are all that he's very mature for his age, is leadership material, and learns and adapts quickly.

For those reasons I'd prefer he goes to a team with older players who he can learn from and continue to grow and mold his game around. Sounds like he would fit in anywhere quickly.

The OHL seems like a waste. He's physically and mentally leapfrogged that league already IMO.

OHL has been trash ever since the Whalers left. Flint has been garbage and doesn't really compare.

Your on to somethin.. Flint has not been good.. but Id bet they are a much better team this season. Someone just sounds bitter the whalers got moved. But to call the league trash is pretty absurd. If infact he went back to owen sound he would be playing in what most people call the toughest division and conference year after year. He would be very likely to log huge amounts of minutes and can work on his offensive game. Plus hes only 5 hours from detroit which is close for scouting purposes and can join GR at the end of the season.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
His skating was really what made me start to like him. I love how effortless it is, for a man his size that is really a plus tool. He has a lot of the same qualities Dobson has in my opinion.
Good comparison. Dobson was the pick I thought we needed the most (strong 2-way minute muncher, all-situations, good at everything, but not elite at anything). Not as sexy as the offense of Bouchard (skating ?), or the (smurfs/injury prone) PMD's: Boqvist, Hughes etc. I was glad we didn't pick either Hughes or Boqvist. NYI had the best '18 draft besides us, so far.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
His skating was really what made me start to like him. I love how effortless it is, for a man his size that is really a plus tool. He has a lot of the same qualities Dobson has in my opinion.
When we picked Seider I didn't know anything about him, didn't think he was a target like many of us. I wasted so many hours on a bunch of plugs! :laugh:
But seriously, when I started watching Seider what drew me to him was how he made everything look effortless. His skating, his passing, and most importantly, his reads, just seemed to be natural to him. It's nice to see an 18 year old with such responsibility for his actions.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Good comparison. Dobson was the pick I thought we needed the most (strong 2-way minute muncher, all-situations, good at everything, but not elite at anything). Not as sexy as the offense of Bouchard (skating ?), or the (smurfs/injury prone) PMD's: Boqvist, Hughes etc. I was glad we didn't pick either Hughes or Boqvist. NYI had the best '18 draft besides us, so far.
dobson was my fave dman also because of his skating / coordination at that size . i figured at minimum hes a guy that could ride shotgun in a shutdown role for a #1 guy that qbs the attack

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I like Hughes a ton and still think he was the best D-man after Dahlin by a considerable margin, had Dobson next. Had both (Hughes and Dobson) of those guys above Zadina.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I like Hughes a ton and still think he was the best D-man after Dahlin by a considerable margin, had Dobson next. Had both of those guys above Zadina.
I'm sure Q.Hughes & Boqvist will have NHL careers, I just didn't wanna run the risk b/c of size & Dzone ability, plus Boqvist's concussion(s). We already had 2 PMD's Hronek & Cholo. As for rating them above Zadina, it's debateable, but I'll go with the elite goal-scoring winger. Hughes, not wanting to be measured at the Combine was another red flag to me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm sure Q.Hughes & Boqvist will have NHL careers, I just didn't wanna run the risk b/c of size & Dzone ability, plus Boqvist's concussion(s). We already had 2 PMD's Hronek & Cholo. As for rating them above Zadina, it's debateable, but I'll go with the elite goal-scoring winger. Hughes, not wanting to be measured at the Combine was another red flag to me.

It will be fun to see Quinn Hughes defending against a guy like Kirby Dach.

Those Dobson and Bouchard would have been interesting defencemen, but that ship already sailed. I'm fine with our guys.

McIsaac - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek

I like these guys very very much. We can lose Lindström to Seattle and nobody cries after. There's so many RhDs banging on the door now.

Reactions: Christien

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Those Dobson and Bouchard would have been interesting defencemen, but that ship already sailed. I'm fine with our guys.

McIsaac - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek

I like these guys very very much. We can lose Lindström to Seattle and nobody cries after. There's so many RhDs banging on the door now.
Yep, exactly. We may even expose DDK by then if Lindstrom turns out to be a Top 4. I like the way our D is shaping up, contingent upon everybody making it (which is unlikely), but there's plenty of irons in the fire, that we're not too far off.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don’t know. With Lashoff, McIlrath, Hicketts (possibly Kaski/Lindstrom) around I feel like he would end up being like a #4-#6 on that team.

I’d rather have him be the go-to guy for a year somewhere.

But it’s just a preference thing, I suppose.

I can see the merit in either the AHL or CHL route but you bring up a good point that I hadn’t considered before. The only place where he will be “gifted” top pairing minutes out of the gate is in the CHL. If he’s a guy we think is the go-to defenseman on our NHL team a few years down the line, then I’d appreciate seeing him experience all the responsibility that goes along with being a team’s last hope when it’s all on the line.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio

McIsaac - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek

I don’t like breaking topic but I’m very curious about you ranking McIsaac above Cholowski, if that is what you did. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind giving me your reason why you believe that. Is it because your not as high on Cholowski or is it because you think McIsaac is gonna knock it out of the park on his development?

I ask because personally it’s not that I don’t like McIsaac, I’m just really high on Cholowski.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I
I don’t like breaking topic but I’m very curious about you ranking McIsaac above Cholowski, if that is what you did. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind giving me your reason why you believe that. Is it because your not as high on Cholowski or is it because you think McIsaac is gonna knock it out of the park on his development?

I ask because personally it’s not that I don’t like McIsaac, I’m just really high on Cholowski.
I think it is best potential pairings, not rank order.

Seider may need a more defensively minded defender to play with while he crashes the opposition's net.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
I

I think it is best potential pairings, not rank order.

Seider may need a more defensively minded defender to play with while he crashes the opposition's net.

I feel like Seider would be the more defensively minded defenseman. I would pair him with Cholo who appears to be a more offensively minded defenseman.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

McIsaac - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek

It will be fun to see Quinn Hughes defending against a guy like Michael Rasmussen.

Reactions: Henkka

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Seider was quoted this morning as saying he would prefer to play in North America this year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

-He already looks better than McIlrath (albeit different skill set), Saarijarvi, Lindstrom and Lashoff.
-One of Him, Cholowski, Hicketts and/or Kaski will likely be up with the Wings at any given point during the year.
-Someone is always going to be injured, sick, etc.
Basically, I don’t think that’s as much of a log jam in GR as it first appears. He can plenty of minutes if they put him there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
-He already looks better than McIlrath (albeit different skill set), Saarijarvi, Lindstrom and Lashoff.

To you, maybe.

Pro hockey coaches are very conservative. They gravitate towards vets that are known quantities all the time. I would be shocked to see Seider get a top pair role in a Grand Rapids to start the year.

I mean his coach in Germany was slotting him as the 6/7 guy just last year.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
-One of Him, Cholowski, Hicketts and/or Kaski will likely be up with the Wings at any given point during the year.
-Someone is always going to be injured, sick, etc.
Basically, I don’t think that’s as much of a log jam in GR as it first appears. He can plenty of minutes if they put him there.

Plus guys actually signed to Grand Rapids.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
To you, maybe.

Pro hockey coaches are very conservative. They gravitate towards vets that are known quantities all the time. I would be shocked to see Seider get a top pair role in a Grand Rapids to start the year.

I mean his coach in Germany was slotting him as the 6/7 guy just last year.
AHL teams know that they're farm team, GR's GM is an assistant GM with the Wings. High first round picks always get ice time, just like Zadina did last year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Joe Hicketts
Marcus Crawford
Vili Saarijarvi
Alec McCrea
Filip Hronek (will most likely start in DET)
Charles-Edouard D'Astous
Brian Lashoff
Dennis Cholowski
Dylan McIlrath
Moritz Seider
Gustav Lindstrom

That's alot!

Reactions: Mlotek

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino