What's the minimum return for which you'd trade Komarov at the deadline?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
not to mention i don't think people are thinking on all sides

Okay. "worst" case scenario - it's a late first rounder
that is also

1 less contract off our books
2,950,000 million off the cap.

that money could go right into the "Hi Stamkos, come play with us." fund.
that contract could be used to broker a trader for something BIG down the line (we have Loophole Trader Lou now). that pick could be used to move up. (or move down). or to be put to a package to GET something big

it not JUST
"oh a late first rounder ho hum." it's what we do with it + what he leaves behind.

There are better ways to get a contract of our books, save money or get picks to use for something different. And no, you don't get those players as free agents every summer. There are players in this world which are important for the identity of a team. Captain material. You keep them. Even when their play is in decline, you still keep them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
i think Komarov is going to be the first tester of "does the organization have the stomach to rebuild."

I love Leo. I think we ALL love Leo.
but if Leo's career year (which this is officially now is) can net the organization a bevy of things that can help - then you think about it, and you do what is best.

"Leo Komarovs" can be found on the open market every single offseason now. I am not sure if Leo is capable of doing what he's doing down the line and you have to wonder if Leo is worth 2,950,000 for the next two years.

Heck. you can even consider trading him for a fortune and if (or when) he cools down - you can get him for a lesser pick. Sell high, buy low.

Babcock is using him in a role that mirrors Holmstrom in Detroit. You might think he is dime a dozen on the market every year. I don't think that is very true.

He was sidelined with the concussion from the Ovechkin hit and was showing previous to that, what we are seeing now. Babs uped his ice time and quality of linemates and plunked him at the net on the powerplay. He has never been better with the said opportunity he is being afforded.

I think its a sustainable production he is showing give or take 10 points a season. His cap hit is awesome. I don't know what you would compare his quality to in comparison to think its to high???

Babs calls him a money in the bank competitor. I don't think he is in any way being considered for trade.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think its a sustainable production he is showing give or take 10 points a season. His cap hit is awesome. I don't know what you would compare his quality to in comparison to think its to high???

He's on pace for what? 60+ points, you think he's a 60 point player? give or take 10 points?

He's shooting at what 24%? He's a valuable player and I would not trade him(barring a crazy offer), but shooting at that crazy high of a percentage is not sustainable. If he continues to get top line minutes he's a 45-50 point player. I think he'd be better suited to a 3rd line role on a team who's trying to compete for a cup.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I wouldn't trade him for anything we could realistically get for him.

The team is trying to hold onto the good workers. Froese should probably be in the AHL if he didn't try his arse off every game. It is becoming an organizational habit even on the Marlies which is the whole point

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's on pace for what? 60+ points, you think he's a 60 point player? give or take 10 points?

He's shooting at what 24%? He's a valuable player and I would not trade him(barring a crazy offer), but shooting at that crazy high of a percentage is not sustainable. If he continues to get top line minutes he's a 45-50 point player. I think he'd be better suited to a 3rd line role on a team who's trying to compete for a cup.

I'll do a little research on that first and get back to you ha. 45 as you mentioned seems more reasonable.

Edit: i was trying to find a comparison for his game to game stats prior to the concussion last year. I am going off memory that he was starting to heat up then. That shooting percentage is really high to sustain though. He was almost 10% last season including the injury. He will easily eclipse his 911 minutes played last year and factoring in the quality ice time on the powerplay and the extra minutes per game, he is going to likely continue scoring more.

50 points potential with everything being equal is a very efficient cap hit even without factoring in the character and intangibles. To many cons to moving him for my liking.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I wouldn't trade him for anything we could realistically get for him.

The team is trying to hold onto the good workers. Froese should probably be in the AHL if he didn't try his arse off every game. It is becoming an organizational habit even on the Marlies which is the whole point

Short and to the point, and good point.

And I liked it.

My point is this. A world class coach can develop these type of creatures, not at will, but they can. They reach guys who have scrapped their way up to the NHL and they bond.

Babcock is a very fit looking guy but he is an old man. But not to look at him. Guy is old But he ain't.

And he never played a game in the AHL or the NHL. But he is the top coach in the NHL, not because he is clearly the number one coach, but he is pretty close and he is in NHL shape at 52. If you think this isn't important, well you have never coached or never played under a coach. I.E> You have never played organized hockey.

Babcock would probably give 5 million dollars just to lace em up and play one game alongside any of his "group"

Passion? Tons of it. Guy probably still dreams of playing in the show. He is in the show but ain't on the ice, that is his dream, his trigger and if he doesn't see any one of his guys not displaying the gratitude that goes with being in the show, that guy doesn't play in the show.

Hello?? Arcobello? Anyways, Babcock could trade Komarov, and might, cause he knows he can create another one.

We have an absolute beauty in this Babcock, if he gets old and crusty he will and could replace Don Cherry on tv, who believe it or not, did play a ton of AHL time, and had a cup of java in the NHL. And he knocked down the best player in the NHL while he was at it, Jean Beliveau.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The problem with trying to get rid of everyone at the right point is eventually the Leafs will need to have these type of guys to surround their young players with.

And it's not as easy as people think to replace these players.

Can we expect Komarov to produce at this pace next year? No, I think that would be dreaming. But we can expect him to give you the same effort he does every night and you need that if you're thinking about having Nylander and/ore Marner in your line-up.

I would honestly let Komarov walk at the end of his contract in return of 2 really strong supportive years with Nylander/Marner.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
not to mention i don't think people are thinking on all sides

Okay. "worst" case scenario - it's a late first rounder
that is also

1 less contract off our books
2,950,000 million off the cap.

that money could go right into the "Hi Stamkos, come play with us." fund.
that contract could be used to broker a trader for something BIG down the line (we have Loophole Trader Lou now). that pick could be used to move up. (or move down). or to be put to a package to GET something big

it not JUST
"oh a late first rounder ho hum." it's what we do with it + what he leaves behind.

We could trade Rielly and Nylander too. We free up two more contracts and Rielly is due for a raise, so that easily keeps $5-7M off our cap.

I mean, at some point we need to keep players on the team to have,you know, a team.

We already have enough cap space to sign Stamkos and retain all our RFAs.

Komarov is young, plays the right way, and is a great role model.

Plus he speaks almost every foreign language that has a word for hockey, so he's invaluable in helping European players adjust/adapt to the team.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
We could trade Rielly and Nylander too. We free up two more contracts and Rielly is due for a raise, so that easily keeps $5-7M off our cap.

I mean, at some point we need to keep players on the team to have,you know, a team.

Plus he speaks almost every foreign language that has a word for hockey, so he's invaluable in helping European players adjust/adapt to the team.

Komarov is older than the league average. Out of the 507 forwards who have played in the NHL he is the 173rd oldest.

Everything else I agree with.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Komarov is older than the league average. Out of the 507 forwards who have played in the NHL he is the 173rd oldest.

Everything else I agree with.

you're using everyone who's play at least 1 game this year?

If you cut that down to everyone who's played at least 20 games where does he sit? I'd figure most of the lower games guys are younger guys just coming into the league.

Not saying he's young, but I figured 29 would be about league average if we're just counting the regulars.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If I was the GM I'd hope nobody offers us a first round pick for him because I'd feel like I really should accept that offer but I really don't want to.

I just don't feel like I can make a rational decision in this regard. Just love the guy, hope he's a Leaf for many years to come.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I always hate that turn around. "Well we can trade the younger players that we're building around."
Komarov is 28 turning 29 years old, plays a very physical and grinding game, and has other issues that I've listed. So no. the situation is completely different than a Nylander/Rielly.

and like I said - we have seen this time and again with this organization and "That Player" we simply can not trade because of reasons.

We can't trade Leo because He's Leo
We can't possibly trade Winnik and Santa, they play so hard for us
We can't trade Bolland
We can't trade Kulemon
We can't trade McArthur
We can't trade Grabo!
We can't trade Tucker
We can't trade McCabe

the list can go on and on and on.
and like I said.a lot of people make it sound as if - we'd trade for something and then nothing else will happen. Like Management wouldn't find other adequate pieces, or trade for them, or sign them in UFA.

but again. We'll see

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
I always hate that turn around. "Well we can trade the younger players that we're building around."
Komarov is 28 turning 29 years old, plays a very physical and grinding game, and has other issues that I've listed. So no. the situation is completely different than a Nylander/Rielly.

and like I said - we have seen this time and again with this organization and "That Player" we simply can not trade because of reasons.

We can't trade Leo because He's Leo
We can't possibly trade Winnik and Santa, they play so hard for us
We can't trade Bolland
We can't trade Kulemon
We can't trade McArthur
We can't trade Grabo!
We can't trade Tucker
We can't trade McCabe

the list can go on and on and on.
and like I said.a lot of people make it sound as if - we'd trade for something and then nothing else will happen. Like Management wouldn't find other adequate pieces, or trade for them, or sign them in UFA.

but again. We'll see

The main difference between Komarov and most of those guys is that Komarov is not an expiring FA.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
you're using everyone who's play at least 1 game this year?

If you cut that down to everyone who's played at least 20 games where does he sit? I'd figure most of the lower games guys are younger guys just coming into the league.

Not saying he's young, but I figured 29 would be about league average if we're just counting the regulars.

Minimum 20 games played Komarov ranks 134th/352. Still definitely about league average.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

Even if Komarov was on a contending team he'd still be getting similar minutes(slightly less) if Babcock was the coach.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Really :help:

Rutherford at the draft: Hey Lou, I really wan't Komarov. I'll give you my 6th overall pick today.

Lou: No, I will keep my 30 year old player, thanks though.

I believe he means it the opposite way around in that NO team is going to be foolish enough to offer a top 5 or even top 10 pick from a non playoff team to acquire Leo, not the Leafs turning down the offer if presented.

A 1st round pick from a non playoff team is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen in reality.

That's like Leafs trading a prospect of Marner/Nylander level (top 10 pick) for a 29 year old Leo Komarov at the trade deadline, from a non playoff team.

The best the Leafs can hope for is a desperate playoff team at the TD is willing to sacrifice their late 1st rounder for a shot at the Cup. Only Leo's play this year allowing the Leafs to ask for such a return, instead of later round picks only.

PS. Pens GM wasn't even willing to part with an unprotected 1st round pick for Kessel, in case they missed the playoffs so parting with a top 10 pick for Komarov isn't going to happen. ;)

Last edited:

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
I find players like Komarov tend to really fall off in their late 20's, the occasional person in their early 30's. And I'm not talking about a slow decline fall off, I'm talking a fall off a cliff and 'what ever happened to' fall off. I'll take a 3rd or higher and send him off. He'll never repeat the season he's having thus far and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's viewed as nothing but a cap dump by this time next year. Kudos to him though, he's having a hell of a year so far.
Wow! If you were gm of the Leafs and I was a rival gm I'd sprint to you with a 3rd rd pick for Komarov no questions asked. I'm glad your not GM of the Leafs

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I voted for a 1st, anywhere in the 1st round. If I could do it today, I would. By the deadline, hmmmm, maybe a different answer. Leo's had a wonderful season to date, but my view of him may change as the year proceeds and his production rises/maintains/drops. Hopefully, it doesn't drop, but his shooting % at this time suggests it will. He can't possibly maintain that % throughout the year. So if by the deadline a more likely 2nd is offered, do I trade him? I don't know, if by accounts he is a valuable part of the team and can help transition some of next years newcomers, he may be more valuable to the team than a 2nd round pick. An interesting discussion, I'm not sure either way.

Lust4LEAFS

London Knights Scout
Jan 28, 2011
London, ON
Ilya Samsonov for Leo

This. I wanted him early 2nd round, very disappointed he went in the 1st. This could actually have some merit to it as well.

Maybe they would take Bernier for a backup too for their cup push for insurance.

Wash
Leo
Bernier

Tor
Samsonov
2nd

forgot about that salary cap thing, would need to take a contract back

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I voted top 5 pick. Never going to happen, but, if some team wanted him bad enough, and, they offered their top 5 pick, then, you pull the trigger.

Komarov leads by example. He is exactly the type of player you want setting an example to your young guns.

I wouldn't trade him unless a 1st round pick and a top prospect were offered. Hey, Edmonton, he'd be a great acquisition!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This poll is annoying.
I'd love to see a Kadri poll on the same topic, but you know it'd be locked in 1 minute.

The most sensible option is also not listed: No Trade.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
This poll is annoying.
I'd love to see a Kadri poll on the same topic, but you know it'd be locked in 1 minute.

The most sensible option is also not listed: No Trade.

If we got offered a top 5 pick for Kadri, we'd take it too. We've only got three players in our system who wouldn't be traded for a top 5 pick.

Your argument that Komarov is priceless beyond measure falls apart when you look at potential prices where you'd have to trade him.

Every reason why we should keep Komarov on the Leafs is also a reason why he'd get a ton of value in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad