What's the minimum return for which you'd trade Komarov at the deadline?

OvenMittz*

We will most likely get Leo back in 2 yrs after we trade him.

We sell high and then pick him off FA when he sizzles down and use him on the 3rd line again for all the intangibles he brings.

Its perfect for the leafs... Keeping him would be stupid on a rebuild team when GMs are going to drool over him.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You know how GM's draft really high for people who play Komarov's game? Like heavy hitter, scores, chips in, team leader and intangibles? and now he can ****ing score at a first line rate? Yea they draft Lawson Crouse with the 9th pick. If I traded Komarov, I would be looking for another Komarov so what is the point of trading him unless I am getting a top flight prospect like Lawson Crouse or an equivalent. If we draft lower, chances are we will get someone like Biggs when we try to draft another Leo Komarov.

The issue with this line of thought is that you aren't accounting for the risk that Leo might not be a 22SH% forward, but instead he could actually be a 10SH% 30pt player.

With another 1st round pick you have a decent opportunity to draft a player who could actually be elite in ~3-5yrs on an entry level or RFA contract when you're competing for the cup.

Seems like a no brainer TBH, you take a 1st and take that shot. You can sign a Leo out of UFA.

OvenMittz*

The issue with this line of thought is that you aren't accounting for the risk that Leo might not be a 22SH% forward, but instead he could actually be a 10SH% 30pt player.

With another 1st round pick you have a decent opportunity to draft a player who could actually be elite in ~3-5yrs on an entry level or RFA contract when you're competing for the cup.

Seems like a no brainer TBH, you take a 1st and take that shot. You can sign a Leo out of UFA.

This. lol i'm with you. I'm shocked with how this fanbase can get too emotionally attached to players..

Thank god these guys aren't GMs. Leo will be traded come Deadline, especially if this production continues whether we like it or not.
BOOK IT. :popcorn:

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
no he's not a 1st line player. The talent pool on this team sucks right now so he's able to get a lot of playing time, I think it's insane to even mention Komarov as a 1st line player. He may be a 2nd-3rd line player on a good team but in no way shape or form is he a 1st line player.

So how come komarov is scoring more than kessel? Scoring more than so many other FIRST LINERS. While playing defense and hitting and leading at the same time. Your whole post doesn't make any sense at all, no logic at all. Leo is a first liner for life and will stay so and I knew it before the season even began. He did in the KHL with the best khl team too. I know hockey, you don't.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So how come komarov is scoring more than kessel? Scoring more than so many other FIRST LINERS. While playing defense and hitting and leading at the same time. Your whole post doesn't make any sense at all, no logic at all. Leo is a first liner for life and will stay so and I knew it before the season even began. He did in the KHL with the best khl team too. I know hockey, you don't.

Love the Komarov Senor!
Love the good things in life. Everything is the right way.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On

how old are you? Are you a troll? Or just really talk like this?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This. lol i'm with you. I'm shocked with how this fanbase can get too emotionally attached to players..

Thank god these guys aren't GMs. Leo will be traded come Deadline, especially if this production continues whether we like it or not.
BOOK IT. :popcorn:

I'll take that bet.
Not going to happen.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I definitely don't want to deal him, he seems like a great locker room presence, obviously terrific in terms of hustle/physicality/2-way play, is decently young at 28, and is becoming a pretty solid offensive player.

However, if offered a 1st though (15-30), I'd have to seriously consider it. We're a rebuilding team, and 1st round picks are a big part of that. I chose the "1st round pick (15-30)" option, not truly sure I'd take it, but maybe, would strongly consider it, and would also depend on exactly where in that range the pick was. If it was 15th overall, then yeah, 30th overall no, more like 22nd overall ... not sure.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With Babcock in charge, I don't see them getting rid off either Komarov, Kadri, or Reimer

You can bet Babcock has a big say in who is part of the team.
Players like Holland learned right away that you will compete every night on this team.

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON

Hey i don't think leo will score at this pace either. It seems completely unsustainable but you need different kinds of players to win a game, not just 6 skilled players. Leo is good because he can slot into any spot in the lineup. He can be relied upon even if we have injuries to our future top line. Maybe he becomes a playoff warrior as well and we need to keep him. Not to mention a 1st round pick is still just a gamble as well especially at the 20~ range where he will be traded. That is just a 20% chance that we even get a player to play regularly in the league. However if leo agrees to come back after UFA, trade away.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd rather take a blue-chip prospect (unlikely) from someone extremely desperate. Otherwise, we're better off keeping him as part of the core.

I'm sure we'll get a good number of picks with the rest. It doesn't need to be a first rounder, seconds, thirds, and even fourths can do wonders for our rebuild.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I find players like Komarov tend to really fall off in their late 20's, the occasional person in their early 30's. And I'm not talking about a slow decline fall off, I'm talking a fall off a cliff and 'what ever happened to' fall off. I'll take a 3rd or higher and send him off. He'll never repeat the season he's having thus far and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's viewed as nothing but a cap dump by this time next year. Kudos to him though, he's having a hell of a year so far.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i kinda want komarov to be a leafs legend, play his entire career and retire with us

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I voted for a 1st (15-30), but in reality, I don't want to trade him, nor do I think the brass will trade him.

Yes - his value will likely never be higher, and yes, he may come back down to earth and more realistically be a 30 point player for the rest of his contract - but his value to this team goes WAY beyond points / offense.

Uncle Leo is by far the hardest working player on the team. He does everything asked without complaint. He's beloved in the room, He blocks shots, hits, sacrifices time and again for the logo on the front not the name on the back.

There is no better example of how to be a Leaf for the kids about to enter the line up over the next two years of his deal. Add to all that the fact he's fluent in Swedish, Russian, and Finnish (think of him being able to help Shoshnikov, Zaitsev, (sp???) etc).

Bottom line is - even NOT producing he has WAY more value to the team than what he does on the stats line, and IMHO WILL NOT be traded.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Let's be realistic, we are not going to get a top 15 for Leo. If I have the choice I would not trade Leo but for argument's sake it should 1st round plus a decent prospect

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't see how any non playoff team would trade a top 15 pick for Leo.

Leo Komarov is a 3rd line player on a cup competitive team and I could see under the right conditions that a team with cup aspirations might part with a late 1st, where normally I wouldn't think a 1st round pick could be returned. Leo's intangibles (hitting, energy, heart, character etc) the things that make him attractive to playoff teams.

Case in point Washington might think Komarov might but them over the top in the East and allow them a chance at the Cup with OV and company as a potential trade partner at the TD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad