What's the minimum return for which you'd trade Komarov at the deadline?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's pretty much scoring 1 goal every 4 shots, I can't see him staying at such a high % for rest of the season. If there was a time to trade him it would be soon. If they do decide to trade him, I would hope they absolutely squeeze the value out of him. 2nd and a good prospect or maybe just straight up 1st if he continues his pace till the TD?
There's been worse players who have been traded for a first.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are no teams that will offer anything worthwhile for us to give him up. Maybe a 2nd rounder at best?

He's one of those guys that is worth more to us than another club. Keep him for the rebuild.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This. lol i'm with you. I'm shocked with how this fanbase can get too emotionally attached to players..

Thank god these guys aren't GMs. Leo will be traded come Deadline, especially if this production continues whether we like it or not.
BOOK IT. :popcorn:

There is always a trade possibility if it makes you better. I would keep him because he is a effective player and had a efficiency in his cap hit.

Every team needs a player that brings the style of play he has developed into. If Anaheim offered up cam fowler or wanted him in a multiplayer deal that also got us Cogliano i would do it.

Leo could actually get you a good roster player and a pick. So i would never say never but i have no interest speculating whats available or what we could get. I would not move right now. There is nothing concrete offered, so I'm hampered to forming any kind of decision.

That doesn't mean Lou won't move him. I could live with it he was moved but it better be a hockey trade is my standpoint. For a defense upgrade or Goalie is my preference over a late first.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's pretty much scoring 1 goal every 4 shots, I can't see him staying at such a high % for rest of the season. If there was a time to trade him it would be soon. If they do decide to trade him, I would hope they absolutely squeeze the value out of him. 2nd and a good prospect or maybe just straight up 1st if he continues his pace till the TD?
There's been worse players who have been traded for a first.

He borrowed Kadri's shooting % and won't return it i heard.:D

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There are no teams that will offer anything worthwhile for us to give him up. Maybe a 2nd rounder at best?

He's one of those guys that is worth more to us than another club. Keep him for the rebuild.

Pittsburgh traded for the wrong guy. Right now Leo would be a much better compliment to Crosby/Malkin than Kessel. Why does Kadri greatly improve with Komarov on his wing? This would of also allowed the Pens to spend some money on D. (Not that I'm saying Komarov is a better scoring winger than Kessel in any sense of the imagination, just perhaps a better fit).
As you say though, he's invaluable to us at the moment and a player that you want Nylander/Marner to look at when playing/preparing and executing in games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think Komarov is going to be the first tester of "does the organization have the stomach to rebuild."

I love Leo. I think we ALL love Leo.
but if Leo's career year (which this is officially now is) can net the organization a bevy of things that can help - then you think about it, and you do what is best.

"Leo Komarovs" can be found on the open market every single offseason now. I am not sure if Leo is capable of doing what he's doing down the line and you have to wonder if Leo is worth 2,950,000 for the next two years.

Heck. you can even consider trading him for a fortune and if (or when) he cools down - you can get him for a lesser pick. Sell high, buy low.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
i think Komarov is going to be the first tester of "does the organization have the stomach to rebuild."

but if Leo's career year (which this is officially now is) can net the organization a bevy of things that can help - then you think about it, and you do what is best.

"Leo Komarovs" can be found on the open market every single offseason now. I am not sure if Leo is capable of doing what he's doing down the line and you have to wonder if Leo is worth 2,950,000 for the next two years.

Heck. you can even consider trading him for a fortune and if (or when) he cools down - you can get him for a lesser pick. Sell high, buy low.

Yep - pretty much, his trade value is at the peak and can fetch a good return

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I say we do nothing this year concerning Leo. He has 2 more years. No rush. Let's see if he is as you say can be found on the open market every single offseason now, or given a chance (the one he is getting under Babs) to be something more than anyone thought. Right now he is playing like a player who isn't a dime a dozen. He's producing. He fits the system. He plays hard. Let's see if he can first maintain and then next year repeat. Yes you run the risk of decreased value but Komarov isn't just a one trick pony. If his offense does diminish, or come back to earth, he has so many other qualities that a winning team needs. And make no mistake, Babcock wants to win. Absolutely.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Zero interest in trading Komarov. He's worth too much to the leafs. He has helped Babcock in developing the culture in which the team is to follow moving forward. Why on earth would the leafs take such a huge step back?

Call me crazy but I would rather have Komarov than a late 1st. The Leafs have plenty of picks anyway.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Zero interest in trading Komarov. He's worth too much to the leafs. He has helped Babcock in developing the culture in which the team is to follow moving forward. Why on earth would the leafs take such a huge step back?

Call me crazy but I would rather have Komarov than a late 1st. The Leafs have plenty of picks anyway.

Especially if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs this year. That late 1st is probably an early 2nd. We have that. Plus 11 picks. I bet Babcock is keeping him because he wants to win. You win with players like this.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I say we do nothing this year concerning Leo. He has 2 more years. No rush. Let's see if he is as you say can be found on the open market every single offseason now, or given a chance (the one he is getting under Babs) to be something more than anyone thought. Right now he is playing like a player who isn't a dime a dozen. He's producing. He fits the system. He plays hard. Let's see if he can first maintain and then next year repeat. Yes you run the risk of decreased value but Komarov isn't just a one trick pony. If his offense does diminish, or come back to earth, he has so many other qualities that a winning team needs. And make no mistake, Babcock wants to win. Absolutely.

no, he's playing like someone who is having a career year.

(shrug). well we'll see. honestly though, in my estimation we have a tendency to fall in love and we never ever want to let people go. and then when we do it's at a deficit.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Everyone on the current roster except Rielly should be considered available for the right price.

I don't think a player like Leo is all that easy to find but considering his age, style of play which will see him physically breakdown in a few years and with where the team is at he needs to be considered movable.

Komarov is having a great season but just like M. Richards, Tucker, Brown, Callahan, etc. who weren't overly big but were very physical I expect to see Leo have his play drop off a cliff in a few years as his body breaks down. This season he's also overachieving. At least offensively. That shooting percentage is unsustainable.

If we could go back in time most people would have dealt out Kulemin, CMac, Grabo at their peak when the team was still a few years from winning. Leo is in a similar spot to these guys. Sometimes it's better to sell high on a guy especially when the team is at least a few years away from possibly being a contender.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Everyone on the current roster except Rielly should be considered available for the right price.

I don't think a player like Leo is all that easy to find but considering his age, style of play which will see him physically breakdown in a few years and with where the team is at he needs to be considered movable.

Komarov is having a great season but just like M. Richards, Tucker, Brown, Callahan, etc. who weren't overly big but were very physical I expect to see Leo have his play drop off a cliff in a few years as his body breaks down. This season he's also overachieving. At least offensively. That shooting percentage is unsustainable.

If we could go back in time most people would have dealt out Kulemin, CMac, Grabo at their peak when the team was still a few years from winning. Leo is in a similar spot to these guys. Sometimes it's better to sell high on a guy especially when the team is at least a few years away from possibly being a contender.

Well I'll clarify. I don't mean. Leo. SPECIFICALLY. but that kind of guy - that you know

you have for one or two years. He totally doesn't care about the goals etc he cares about the wins. You can throw him out on the PK, last minute of the period/game and you're secured that he's playing okay. He has the attitude that you like and you can point to and go "that's what I want you to be even though you have Nth talent because that's what gets you loved."

it was Winnik and Santa last year. if you look for them, they are there.

and again. I am not just "throw everyone overboard for a pick." but my estimation is again. you need to play a little "predicting" here. this thing of "No Rush, we have two years." or "Who else will do it." or "Who will play with ______" and now I am seeing people (Not just you, Trapper - you know we're buds), going "well we have eleven picks, or Pittsburgh's pick might.."

that shouldn't matter. Chicago had what? 14+ picks one draft year? You want to be marching up to the podium as much time as you are able to find great talent. or younger Leos. or have the ability to create a package to trade for better talent.

Sell High. Buy Low. Not, Keep them because why not, and then be "oho, crap." :(

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I love Leo Komarov, no doubt.

We are a rebuilding team which was stated from the beginning. Obviously having a guy like Babcock behind the bench...He won't go down without a fight.

I think you would be silly not to trade Komarov at this peak time and maximize the value from that. At the same time, I wouldn't accept less than a 1st rounder from a contending team.

Again, Leo brings some serious energy to this team, lightens up the room and plays the type of game fans absolutely love. All that said, you need to think correctly about a Komarov trade. If the teams won't offer value, don't make the deal, we have him signed and we won't have a problem keeping the player and instilling the confidence in everyone to keep playing hard.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
no, he's playing like someone who is having a career year.

(shrug). well we'll see. honestly though, in my estimation we have a tendency to fall in love and we never ever want to let people go. and then when we do it's at a deficit.

I don't think (for me) it's a matter of falling in love with a player. Certainly I am open to any return that is just to good to refuse. I would think most GMs would also are aware he is also having a career year. Leo for a 2nd round just doesn't do it for me. We have 11 picks. We do need players as well. Players that aren't lazy. That being said, perhaps over the years we have kept the wrong players to long (not wanting to let go) and gotten rid of the ones to quickly that we should have kept. We kept Kessel to long. We got rid of Steen to early. Perhaps that is why we have been a perpetual go nowhere team.
As you say, time will tell and at this time I would keep him. We are trying to bring the franchise back. As much as Shanny/Lou/Hunter/Dubas etc. are responsible for this, who we have on the ice is also the path to becoming respectable again. Some players need to be retained to usher in a new era. An identity that an original six team should never have lost. For the last 6 years the Leafs have been Phil Kessel. I hated that identity.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't think (for me) it's a matter of falling in love with a player. Certainly I am open to any return that is just to good to refuse. I would think most GMs would also are aware he is also having a career year. Leo for a 2nd round just doesn't do it for me. We have 11 picks. We do need players as well. Players that aren't lazy. That being said, perhaps over the years we have kept the wrong players to long (not wanting to let go) and gotten rid of the ones to quickly that we should have kept. We kept Kessel to long. We got rid of Steen to early. Perhaps that is why we have been a perpetual go nowhere team.
As you say, time will tell and at this time I would keep him. We are trying to bring the franchise back. As much as Shanny/Lou/Hunter/Dubas etc. are responsible for this, who we have on the ice is also the path to becoming respectable again. Some players need to be retained to usher in a new era. An identity that an original six team should never have lost. For the last 6 years the Leafs have been Phil Kessel. I hated that identity.

when making trades at the deadline imo GM's are much more concerned with how the player is currently playing then what they've done in the past. if a cup contender thinks Komarov could play on there 2nd line for the rest of the year to try and win a cup then he would probably make that deal knowing Komarov is currently playing great, and if he reverted back to a bottom 6 guy next year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Komarov's great but he's a bottom 6 player, people talk about how he inspires other players, well where was he in the 2nd half last year? players in the NHL shouldn't need other players to "inspire" them. last year Komo had 16 points in the first 2 months of the year and then 10 the last 4 months after his injury. I think it would be a waste to throw away a good pick/prospect to keep Komo and probably by the time we no longer want him no one else will either. that's bad asset management imo when your a rebuilding team, we have other guys who are good role models for the kids and who can insulate them just fine.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
when making trades at the deadline imo GM's are much more concerned with how the player is currently playing then what they've done in the past. if a cup contender thinks Komarov could play on there 2nd line for the rest of the year to try and win a cup then he would probably make that deal knowing Komarov is currently playing great, and if he reverted back to a bottom 6 guy next year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Komarov's great but he's a bottom 6 player, people talk about how he inspires other players, well where was he in the 2nd half last year? players in the NHL shouldn't need other players to "inspire" them. last year Komo had 16 points in the first 2 months of the year and then 10 the last 4 months after his injury. I think it would be a waste to throw away a good pick/prospect to keep Komo and probably by the time we no longer want him no one else will either. that's bad asset management imo when your a rebuilding team, we have other guys who are good role models for the kids and who can insulate them just fine.

not to mention i don't think people are thinking on all sides

Okay. "worst" case scenario - it's a late first rounder
that is also

1 less contract off our books
2,950,000 million off the cap.

that money could go right into the "Hi Stamkos, come play with us." fund.
that contract could be used to broker a trader for something BIG down the line (we have Loophole Trader Lou now). that pick could be used to move up. (or move down). or to be put to a package to GET something big

it not JUST
"oh a late first rounder ho hum." it's what we do with it + what he leaves behind.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Its important we dont fall in love with non-essential pieces during a rebuild. Sell high or dont sell at all if we dont have to.

This type of attitude is why traditional rebuilds are doomed to fail from the start. There's a reason Edmonton's rebuild strategy has failed miserably. The draft is not the be all end all way to build a team. You need to supplement smart drafting with trades and free agents. Trading any valuable piece whenever is just idiotic.

If a team offers an absurd price for Komarov, sure trade him, but sometimes keeping a veteran player to build a system designed to bring in prospects slowly and make them earn time is far more valuable than any first round pick.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I voted top 5 pick because he's essentially untradeable because of his value to the team.

Even without his career season this year, he's a guy that is essential to a competitive team.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Komarov is not a player I would want to move as I think he is the kind of player I would want on the roster for our young players to learn from. If we absolutely have to move him however I would be looking for a mid first for him at the minimum.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Not that I think he is worth a top 5 pick, but for the way they want to build this organization they need people like Leo around. Leo will be a big part of showing the younger players how to be professionals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad